Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

here come the moderates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Well, I am excited to see Britain slide back into feudalism.

My sword for Corbyn, long may he reign.

Aug 4, 2010

Prince John posted:

Good news for Wales if Barnett goes, but it won't help the IndyRef2 Remain campaign!

Does anyone even want Scotland to stay in the union at this point? Who would even be on the Remain campaign? They gonna roll out Gordon Brown again???

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EvilGenius posted:

Sorry for being dumb, but I don't really understand why Gove running meant Boris couldn't. Was it simply that they couldn't have two Brexit candidates?
Johnson's entire platform was predicated on him narrowly losing the referendum. There's nothing for him to run on. Unless he's going to repeat that line about how he does not believe those who voted for the UK to leave the EU were mainly driven by anxieties about immigration and campaign for worse trade or something.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Yinlock posted:

I mean I know loving Scotland is a proud national British pastime, but I don't think this sudden "piss the Scots off so we can more easily scapegoat them" is going to work as well as they think it will, especially with Scotland chomping at the bit to leave that dumpster fire.

It's remarkable how consistently these morons make decisions without a single second of forethought.

Watch Gove start a Civil War.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

The referendum is only getting rerun if the LibDems somehow get in power after the next election.
The little I know about British politics tells me that if LibDems run on a program of staying in the EU once they get to power they'll leave NATO as well.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I'd like Scotland to stay, but i'm OK if they leave too.

But then if I could i'd be moving there. :(

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

EvilGenius posted:

Sorry for being dumb, but I don't really understand why Gove running meant Boris couldn't. Was it simply that they couldn't have two Brexit candidates?

apparently gove was going to send an email to every journalist revealing bores johnsons dark and terrible secret ie hes an incompetent

also he didn't want to be pm of the smouldering ruins previously known as great britan

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

apparently gove was going to send an email to every journalist revealing bores johnsons dark and terrible secret ie hes an incompetent
There's one former Times journalist who already knows this.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://mobile.twitter.com/WikiGuido/status/748904658245148672

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blacktoll posted:

Well, I am excited to see Britain slide back into feudalism.

My sword for Corbyn, long may he reign.

Does that mean you get more votes based on how many swords you have?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Curvy foreign swords don't count.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Wouldn't surprise me. Carswell is one of the saner people in UKIP who realises that building a far-right cult of personality is probably not the best way going forward for his party, at least. For that reason, he's always annoyed Farage. Carswell does hold the upper hand, though, because if he goes, UKIP lose a lot of short money and would be increasingly reliant on Aaron Banks to, well, bankroll them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Yinlock posted:

I mean I know loving Scotland is a proud national British pastime, but I don't think this sudden "piss the Scots off so we can more easily scapegoat them" is going to work as well as they think it will, especially with Scotland chomping at the bit to leave that dumpster fire.

It's remarkable how consistently these morons make decisions without a single second of forethought.

Their decisions make a great deal of sense if you start from the premise that Glorious Britain is a powerful institution that shall never be defeated by virtue of its basic Britishness and that all other nations will always recognise the inherent greatness of and want to be pals with or be crushed by our might

a reminder that Gove was also in charge of education, with a particular view towards redrafting the history curriculum

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It seems to me that Boris was unsurprisingly reluctant to actually invoke Article 50 so when Gove said he was going to run rather than support Boris it meant that Boris still ran against him he was going to make himself even more unpopular in the party and either lose and sink into obscurity or win and have to lead the UK out of the EU.

He'd be doomed either way so he's beaten a retreat now to consider his options.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Maybe Gove has a few skeletons in his closet.

I'm not speaking metaphorically.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Judging from gove_clapping.gifv I'm not certain he has any skeleton at all.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

TinTower posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. Carswell is one of the saner people in UKIP who realises that building a far-right cult of personality is probably not the best way going forward for his party, at least. For that reason, he's always annoyed Farage. Carswell does hold the upper hand, though, because if he goes, UKIP lose a lot of short money and would be increasingly reliant on Aaron Banks to, well, bankroll them.

Especially once all that lovely MEP money dries up, I believe Farage and Carswell have been arguing over the short money since day one as well.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

namesake posted:

It seems to me that Boris was unsurprisingly reluctant to actually invoke Article 50 so when Gove said he was going to run rather than support Boris it meant that Boris still ran against him he was going to make himself even more unpopular in the party and either lose and sink into obscurity or win and have to lead the UK out of the EU.

He'd be doomed either way so he's beaten a retreat now to consider his options.

In a battle between his ambition and his cowardice, cowardice won.

Quite the suprise result actually .

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm legitimately amazed that Carswell hasn't been expelled already.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

boris dropped out because he was relying on murdoch and dacre's support, murdoch cleary prefers gove (I imagine he considers him more controllable) and dacre is a close friend of gove (but the mail might be declaring for may anyway)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
boris is a bottler he should be in the plp

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they either have the short money or think they'll easily get it, could there be a defection is that how that works

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the press barons openly wielding such power in politics is yet another way the current situation mirrors that of the early 1900s

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

ShredsYouSay posted:

Maybe Gove has a few skeletons in his closet.

I'm not speaking metaphorically.

Have you seen that clapping video? I'm not even convinced he has a skeleton in his body.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Didn't the MPs who were backing Boris switch to Gove?

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Especially once all that lovely MEP money dries up, I believe Farage and Carswell have been arguing over the short money since day one as well.

They'll probably get bankrolled by Richard "Dirty" Desmond from here on in.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The complete clown car of Tory incompetence that got us here is something to behold, when you think of it.

Cameron has the wizard idea of holding a referendum on the EU, which he lost, meaning he doesn't get to be PM.

Therefore, Bozza has the wizard idea of backing Leave, thinking he'd lose. He's vilified by the country, and as soon as he does run for PM he gets knifed in the back by Gove, so he doesn't get to be PM.

Therefore, because Gove was just a little bit too obviously backstabby even for the Tories, most Tories are backing Theresa May instead, meaning he probably doesn't get to be PM either.

I wonder how Theresa will gently caress it up and who will try for it after her.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Not Operator posted:

Have you seen that clapping video? I'm not even convinced he has a skeleton in his body.

he's actually a rare species of extremely large mollusc

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Why are all of your political cartoons grotesques?

At least it's not like in America where the people who draw the cartoons are grotesque monsters who draw birthday cards in between drawing images of Obama raping a foetus to make rent.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
times are hard in the White House

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

So what should I expect to happen at a Momentum rally? Is it just a bunch of people standing around listening to speeches? (Genuine question, I've never actually been to a political rally, but there's one near me tomorrow that I've half a mind to go to).

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

pretty much yeah, they'll take points and questions from the audience as well, suggestions on activism etc, they may have some events planned already they will ask who can attend/help etc

e: one other thing you should expect is lefties who have been active locally for decades and have serious grudges with each other for how they voted twenty years ago

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

feedmegin posted:

The complete clown car of Tory incompetence that got us here is something to behold, when you think of it.

Cameron has the wizard idea of holding a referendum on the EU, which he lost, meaning he doesn't get to be PM.

Therefore, Bozza has the wizard idea of backing Leave, thinking he'd lose. He's vilified by the country, and as soon as he does run for PM he gets knifed in the back by Gove, so he doesn't get to be PM.

Therefore, because Gove was just a little bit too obviously backstabby even for the Tories, most Tories are backing Theresa May instead, meaning he probably doesn't get to be PM either.

I wonder how Theresa will gently caress it up and who will try for it after her.

You forgot "Tories make a whole bunch of promises they never intend to keep (including an EU referendum) with the intentions of dropping them during negotiations with the Lib Dems and gently caress themselves by accidentally winning an election".

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The structural problems that come from having large, powerful international banks will remain if they go to France or Germany; it's just we will neither get the tax money from them nor be able to regulate them. Aiming to keep them in Britain is the only sensible choice.

Oh I agree, it just appears that this double think was to much for the newsrooms to even contemplate commenting on.

Baron Corbyn posted:

There is absolutely no way the PLP would stand for anyone who would name McDonnell as their Shadow Chancellor. I think people here underestimate just how much they loving hate him and have hated him for a long time. Mainly because he's been more effective than Corbyn supporting left wing candidates within the party while Corbyn mainly focused on his pet issues outside the Labour party e.g. Chagos Islanders, Latin American links.

I think McDonnell is actually turning into a fantastic shadow chancellor. For all the press fear mongering of RED COMMIE JOHN he's actually been talking the most economic sense of any major political consistency for months.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Paul.Power posted:

Didn't the MPs who were backing Boris switch to Gove?

Nope they seemed to mostly have switched to her most evilness Andrea Leadsom. Its expected to be between May and Leadsom now, May should win it but given Davis went into the start of the last fight as the expected winner we shouldn't count our chickens - as while May is an Authoritarian she is still human, and I really am not sure Leadsom is.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

wocobob posted:

Okay, another ignorant American backstory question:

Why are the Lib Dems seen as so ineffectual? What big fuckup did they have that destroyed their reputation? Is it related to why Nick Clegg is seen as pretty much a joke?

:clegg:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
clegg lied students cried

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
will the tories break under pressure from their donors in the city and the business world? or will they throw them under a bus and commit to total economic meltdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

feedmegin posted:

I'm half eager to see May not be Prime Minister and half scared of what godawful Tory monster could replace her as frontrunner

• Locked thread