Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

FCKGW posted:

Thanks for the info, I had no idea about prop 8. We also live in the Inland Empire and it's still one of the fastest growing regions in the country due to people being priced out of LA and Orange county and moving inland. That means tons of new housing projects going on (the Ontario Ranch project by my house is adding 42,000 homes in the next 15 years.) but also rising housing costs if you're near the LA and OC county lines. Home prices are still rising and affordable housing is moving further inland to Hemet, Mennifee and Victorville.

And I fear the 91 expansion isn't enough. Most of it appears to be going to FastTrak. The big bridge is part of it.
The one in Orange County started backing up a couple years ago and today it is a roll of the dice if it even makes a difference so I'll only use it on thurs/Friday coming home. I think I read 3,000 new users since last quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The 91 is opening with two new toll lanes next year with construction on I-15 toll lanes expected shortly after that. There's also plans for tolls on the 60, 10 and possibly 215. Every freeway in the region will have tolls in about 15 years time.

Traffic in the IE will always be a disaster until the start blasting holes in mountains or we get a good regional core (good luck).

I wish we could pour more money into expanding metrolink service. It's already packed as it is and they need to double the number of weekday trains and extended service past 6pm.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
So some gun bills got signed. I'm more shocked that you aren't required to report stolen or lost weapons.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Guns aside, I'm not really sure "failing to report being a victim of a crime is punishable" is a road we want to go down.

Also, it's pretty hilarious that the legislature decided to expand the definition of assault weapon to include guns specifically modified to comply with CA's assault weapon ban.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 1, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's because banning "assault weapons" is fundamentally stupid, there's no hard definition of an assault weapon. It'd be like deciding for some reason we wanted to ban "sports cars." What's a sports car? Well, "I know one when I see one" is a reasonable working category but it doesn't work in the law. So you'd have to say, well, I guess it's a car with a large engine, and maybe only two seats. Oops, that includes pickup trucks! OK well, I guess it's also below a certain weight. OK, so, does an electric sports car count, it has no engine at all, it's got electric motors! OK so we'll define power output instead of engine capacity. OK, so now the manufacturers build sports cars with motors that produce exactly one point under the definition of engine capacity you defined, or, exactly one pound over the weight you defined, or, they add a jump seat behind the front seats to exceed the 2 seat limit, etc. etc.

It just doesn't loving work. We want to ban scary guns that are scary, but there's no hard line. And really it's stupid anyway, because if the goal is to stop people from going apeshit killing loads of people with guns, well, we're either going to have to completely ban guns, or we're going to have to enact restrictions that limit people to nothing but small-capacity pistols and shotguns and hunting rifles with no semiautomatic action. And even then people will figure out a way.

I'm a proponent of gun control, mind you. Waiting lists, background checks, maybe controls on some kinds of ammunition. But the gun genie is out of the bottle and you're not putting it back with pointless bans on particularly scary looking guns.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

unless they've repealed the 2nd not far enough imho

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The Gun Control Car Analogy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Smythe posted:

Is that a thing lots of people have done before? I thought I was clever to have thought of it. :shrug:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

are most anti-gun people in the "ban all guns" camp these days? I can't tell if people like throwing around strong language, or people have just settled into extreme binaries.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Space-Bird posted:

are most anti-gun people in the "ban all guns" camp these days? I can't tell if people like throwing around strong language, or people have just settled into extreme binaries.

It kind of depends on what mood I'm in, to be honest.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

StandardVC10 posted:

It kind of depends on what mood I'm in how many people have been shot that day, to be honest.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So some gun bills got signed. I'm more shocked that you aren't required to report stolen or lost weapons.
You should be required to have a high standard of awareness of your own firearms. 30 days to report a stolen weapon and people who have unreported stolen weapons used in crimes should face criminal charges. If you can't keep track of where you gun is, then don't loving buy one.

Gun control laws will continue to be pointless so long as they focus on rifles that result in ~2% of gun deaths and ignore the ocean of barely registered (or unregistered) handguns floating around. You know, the things that are responsible for the vast majority of the deaths, both purposeful and accidental.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That's because banning "assault weapons" is fundamentally stupid, there's no hard definition of an assault weapon. It'd be like deciding for some reason we wanted to ban "sports cars." What's a sports car? Well, "I know one when I see one" is a reasonable working category but it doesn't work in the law. So you'd have to say, well, I guess it's a car with a large engine, and maybe only two seats. Oops, that includes pickup trucks! OK well, I guess it's also below a certain weight. OK, so, does an electric sports car count, it has no engine at all, it's got electric motors! OK so we'll define power output instead of engine capacity. OK, so now the manufacturers build sports cars with motors that produce exactly one point under the definition of engine capacity you defined, or, exactly one pound over the weight you defined, or, they add a jump seat behind the front seats to exceed the 2 seat limit, etc. etc.

It just doesn't loving work. We want to ban scary guns that are scary, but there's no hard line. And really it's stupid anyway, because if the goal is to stop people from going apeshit killing loads of people with guns, well, we're either going to have to completely ban guns, or we're going to have to enact restrictions that limit people to nothing but small-capacity pistols and shotguns and hunting rifles with no semiautomatic action. And even then people will figure out a way.

I'm a proponent of gun control, mind you. Waiting lists, background checks, maybe controls on some kinds of ammunition. But the gun genie is out of the bottle and you're not putting it back with pointless bans on particularly scary looking guns.

The law is pretty clear which aesthetic measures make up an "assault weapon" FYI.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Leperflesh posted:

Inland empire (and all of southern california, really) sucks.

You're ignorant as gently caress to tell someone to move out of SoCal to another part of the country. The rest of it is even worse. The Inland Empire is better than 95% of the country and is priced as such. The problem is, Bay Area and LA peeps pay 4x the price of even the most opulent Corona bungalow for their little brik-a-brak parcel and have to rationalize that everywhere else is a garbage pile to avoid confronting the reality that they are being cornholed.

If you actually sell your SoCal place and move to another state the odds are you that you won't like it. Do you know how many people I've met that have a) tried to live in OC and realized it's not worth it and b) tried to live in another state and realized it's way, way worse? A lot. This isn't some new thing. I've had literally over a dozen friends move to the South, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, Midwest...with the exception of a couple in Portland and a friend in Colorado (who had family there) they've all come back. And guess what? Those places aren't that much cheaper.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

The law is pretty clear which aesthetic measures make up an "assault weapon" FYI.

Paper bag on the owner

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I was listening to KQED today and apparently it's illegal to issue automated speeding tickets in California. Whose bright idea was that?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You're ignorant as gently caress to tell someone to move out of SoCal to another part of the country. The rest of it is even worse. The Inland Empire is better than 95% of the country and is priced as such. The problem is, Bay Area and LA peeps pay 4x the price of even the most opulent Corona bungalow for their little brik-a-brak parcel and have to rationalize that everywhere else is a garbage pile to avoid confronting the reality that they are being cornholed.

If you actually sell your SoCal place and move to another state the odds are you that you won't like it. Do you know how many people I've met that have a) tried to live in OC and realized it's not worth it and b) tried to live in another state and realized it's way, way worse? A lot. This isn't some new thing. I've had literally over a dozen friends move to the South, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, Midwest...with the exception of a couple in Portland and a friend in Colorado (who had family there) they've all come back. And guess what? Those places aren't that much cheaper.

as a brika-brak parcel liver, I personally do not feel this way. Please don't judge all of us bricka-brackers.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I was listening to KQED today and apparently it's illegal to issue automated speeding tickets in California. Whose bright idea was that?

It's been safe to throw those red light tickets in the trash for years now as well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Space-Bird posted:

as a brika-brak parcel liver, I personally do not feel this way. Please don't judge all of us bricka-brackers.

You've got me all wrong. If you rant about how much all of California sucks (except for the place you live and the beach, of course) then you're probably one of those people I mentioned. I myself have lived in Los Angeles and OC, and I'm aware of the trade-offs.

Edit: I forgot that I know another guy who sometimes posts on here who moved to Sacramento, he seems to be doing well for himself. Not really strictly another state but different enough...

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Smythe posted:

TBQH, I've always wanted an AR-15 with the Prop 65 warning on the side of the mag well.

Leperflesh posted:

Is that a thing lots of people have done before? I thought I was clever to have thought of it. :shrug:
lol no. It's been done to death.

cheese posted:

Gun control laws will continue to be pointless so long as they focus on rifles that result in ~2% of gun deaths and ignore the ocean of barely registered (or unregistered) handguns floating around. You know, the things that are responsible for the vast majority of the deaths, both purposeful and accidental.
But California already has mandatory handgun registration, yet Oakland and Vallejo still manage to be in the top 25% of counties for homicides:shrug:

Bip Roberts posted:

Which is why it's funny that they decided to classify guns modified to comply with the law as assault weapons too. As a reminder, this was the level of debate and knowledge involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFelpOX0sJg

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Anyone sane.

What kind of fucktard wants a private for-profit company managing automated fines?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

TBQH, I've always wanted an AR-15 with the Prop 65 warning on the side of the mag well.
lol no. It's been done to death.
But California already has mandatory handgun registration, yet Oakland and Vallejo still manage to be in the top 25% of counties for homicides:shrug:
Which is why it's funny that they decided to classify guns modified to comply with the law as assault weapons too. As a reminder, this was the level of debate and knowledge involved:

And one of the top gun shops for selling to criminals is in San Leandro, but luckily for them they're not responsible for what happens with the guns they sell.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

It's been safe to throw those red light tickets in the trash for years now as well.

Unless they've been reviewed and signed by a law officer like in Culver City and I think part of Hollywood? Rest are bullshit though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Space-Bird posted:

Guns are nothing more than murder toys and they should all be melted down and sold to China for scrap.

I believe I am in the minority however

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

FRINGE posted:

Anyone sane.

What kind of fucktard wants a private for-profit company managing automated fines?

Does that mean I can use the fasttrak toll lanes and just throw away the tickets?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, that's the point. The law isn't targeting a class of guns known to be particularly dangerous: it's a list of scary aesthetic features known to make a gun look dangerous. What is the point of that?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah, never-ending mile after mile of suburban sprawl extending out into a semi-desert, who could possibly want something else? Mile after mile of gridlocked freeway! Paradise. Everyone wants a two hour commute in order to be happy!

My little brik-a-brak parcel in the Bay Area cost me $240,800. In december 2009, of course, that was during the downturn, but today it's worth around $400k or so. But I'm not pretending it's the best possible place to live. I live here because it's near my wife's job and it's near our aging parents, who aren't going to move, so if we leave we'll miss the last years of their lives.

Thanks for your anecdotes about your highly representative friends and how much they hated everywhere that wasn't the IE, though. That's great, I'm glad they eventually found happiness in their $600k mchouse in one of the hundreds of cookie-cutter developments out there.

I mean I can see there's some nice hills. I imagine there's some good restaurants, too. It's still California, after all. And if you love it there, cool. But the dude I'm responding to can't really afford his expensive IE house on his income, and it's not like IE is the only possible place you can live. He doesn't even like the local schools, so he's paying for private school. CA's elementary school system kind of sucks, you know? Commutes suck. The houses they've been throwing up out there since the 1980s are mostly terribly built eyesores. Do you love the mountains? There's a shitload of mountains in America that are a lot cheaper to live near.

Wow that's a really really terrible article. I guess I'll have to find a different analogy. Part of what irks me about the assault weapons ban is that it takes serious political capital to get any gun control passed, so why waste it on ineffective gun control? The answer is because "banning assault weapons" is more popular with particular constituencies (people who don't know anything about guns) than serious effective legislation like, say, requiring gun owners and purchasers to submit to and pass psychological evaluations by independent doctors. Or legislation aiming to significantly roll back how effective legally-sold guns can be, like banning semiautomatic weapons.

quote:

Yeah no kidding. Illegal guns are still used a lot, and the country is already awash in millions of guns so any ban that grandfathers in existing guns is nearly pointless, as is any ban that doesn't include finding and confiscating guns. And are we going to start searching everyone who enters the state, searching their cars, etc. to find guns not registered in California (or not registered at all)? Are we going to go door-to-door to find every unregistered gun?

There's no political will to do that, of course. The gubmint commin to tek mah guns is literally the fear the gun rights advocates rally around. Obama was going to come take our guns, remember? Any day now. I get salty about wasting our time with garbage show-laws that can't possibly have any significant effect on gun violence, but the real problem is that Americans as an electorate are not yet ready to give up most of our guns, and heavily regulate and control the ones we do have, including making tough decisions about who exactly is allowed to own a gun.

quote:

Good lord. But I'm more familiar with Feinstein's advocacy of the assault weapons bans, which while not quite so inarticulate (was that guy drunk?), despite going on for decades now have never been particularly well informed.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Does that mean I can use the fasttrak toll lanes and just throw away the tickets?

I've seen a dude get lit up by a CHP trooper camped out behind the toll booth waiting for people to do exactly that.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, that's the point. The law isn't targeting a class of guns known to be particularly dangerous: it's a list of scary aesthetic features known to make a gun look dangerous. What is the point of that?

To make it confusing as gently caress. Death by a thousand paper cuts is A-OK.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Anyone sane.

I bet you are an unsafe driver.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

I've seen a dude get lit up by a CHP trooper camped out behind the toll booth waiting for people to do exactly that.
How does he tell who is in violation?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Less guns, more weed :getin:. I moved to CA at the right time.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The camera has a flash and only trips without a vehicle transponder, tipping off the cop. But the system already hands out fines by automation so which ticket would you pay? Or are they under manual review?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

how do the toll HOV lanes work? take a picture of any car that has no transponder and then sort out the ones with two+ people and fine the ones with only one?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Basically. The camera software can actually detect passengers, and scan your plate. Sometimes my transponder doesn't beep, the flash goes off, but they still manage tocharge the toll to me. And if you do the carpool lane make sure your transponder isn't scannable or you might pay a toll by accident.

I doubt the system is flawless but it works well enough to assure the revenue stream, which is really all they care about.

What you wind up with is traffic engineering designed to maximize fines rather than safety. The most obvious is yellow light durations set to the state minimum for the approaching road's speed limit, regardless of other factors that would call for a longer yellow, such as width of the intersection, visibility, congestion, etc.

Kobayashi posted:

To make it confusing as gently caress. Death by a thousand paper cuts is A-OK.

Gun manufacturers have good lawyers. The only people who are confused are the voters and the politicians.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

You lost. What did I win?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
We need to repeal the second amendment and legislate what kind of guns people can have and what waiting periods, restrictions and responsibilities apply. Otherwise it's too easy to dodge the laws on technicalities.

That will never happen, so for now it's just time to dehumanize and face to bloodshed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

how do the toll HOV lanes work? take a picture of any car that has no transponder and then sort out the ones with two+ people and fine the ones with only one?

Depends on the freeway. Some of the ones in LA have a switch in the transponder, the 3+ lane on the 91 has a separate toll lane at the reader and it's basically on the honor system.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The 3+ express lane on the right side of the Bay Bridge is pretty much 100% honor system. I've easily taken it over 100 times and only gotten a ticket once. In terms of value for my time, the extra $2/crossing is easily worth it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

We need to repeal the second amendment and legislate what kind of guns people can have and what waiting periods, restrictions and responsibilities apply. Otherwise it's too easy to dodge the laws on technicalities.

That will never happen, so for now it's just time to dehumanize and face to bloodshed.

California would have a high violent crime and homicide rate regardless of if Americans as a whole didn't have access to firearms or vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
This is the wild west after all. We have an epic history of savage revolver fanning pwnage.