Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Regarde Aduck posted:

You don't need oil to run an economy. I don't think the Scottish have any illusions about being rich. They just don't want to be ripped out of the EU. I don't know why this is so funny.

it's funny because it was a major yes campaign argument and the irony is oil prices have since collapsed

i don't care at all if the scottish leave but the yes campaign was almost as saturated with dumb arguments as the EU leave campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No subtext here

Am wondering which direction the subtweeting's aimed at tbh. Assume at rebels but who knows really.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OvineYeast posted:

Am wondering which direction the subtweeting's aimed at tbh. Assume at rebels but who knows really.

I'd say it's most likely at rebels, referring to beating the Tories.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/euanmcmorrow/status/748983084066963456

Also, why do the Welsh get the best anthems? Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau is everything that God Save the Queen fails at. :colbert:

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Good god Theresa May's smile could flay a rhinoceros.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Jfc Theresa May is going to be prime minister

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

say goodbye to your civil liberties britain

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Broken Britain.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

qhat posted:

i don't care at all if the scottish leave but the yes campaign was almost as saturated with dumb arguments as the EU leave campaign
There was indeed some real bare faced bullshit in the Yes campaign but it was nowhere near the same league as the Leave campaign, comparing Yes to Leave is like comparing Israel to Islamic State or something

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Will Theresa May at least add "ignore referendum result and tell voters to go gently caress themselves" to her oppression to do list or will she be completely useless?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Hoops posted:

There was indeed some real bare faced bullshit in the Yes campaign but it was nowhere near the same league as the Leave campaign, comparing Yes to Leave is like comparing Israel to Islamic State or something

alex salmond claiming that scotland could share sterling is almost as ludicrous as suggesting the UK can have access to the single market without free movement

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

To be fair, the Scottish independence white paper had half as many pages as the Leave plan had words in total.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

blowfish posted:

Will Theresa May at least add "ignore referendum result and tell voters to go gently caress themselves" to her oppression to do list or will she be completely useless?

Nah mate. She is all abroad the Brexit train.

Although tbh I agree with Oberleutnant that going back now is if not impossible, very dangerous. Unless the situation changes significantly, which it still might

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think the eu might stand in the way of her dream of making judge dredd real

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Also, why do the Welsh get the best anthems? Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau is everything that God Save the Queen fails at. :colbert:
England should not use God Save the Queen for England specific events.

England specific events should be opened with Jerusalem sung by Ken Livingstone.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

England should not use God Save the Queen for England specific events.

England specific events should be opened with Jerusalem sung by Ken Livingstone.

And did Hitler's feet, in ancient time…

Anyway, the best footballing song, though, is objectively Vindaloo.

Not only is it catchy, it also explains pretty concisely the rules of the game; to wit, "we're gonna score one more than you".

TinTower fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 1, 2016

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Dumb American here but I thought Tom Watson was supposed to be good

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I've expressed this before, but Theresa May is a monster through circumstance rather than personal flaw. All Home Secretaries become fascist Big Brothers eventually, because they get reports on foiled terrorist plots 100 times a year. I pity her in a way. But whether or not it's directly her own fault, that does not change the fact that she is a monster.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

infact, you could say that when you start making arguments on nationalistic lines, obvious bullshit suddenly becomes viable because people start ignoring facts

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

qhat posted:

infact, you could say that when you start making arguments on nationalistic lines, obvious bullshit suddenly becomes viable because people start ignoring facts

"start" ignoring facts?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

blowfish posted:

Nope. She recognises the benefits of staying in the EU, but doesn't want them as much as she wants to have the UK no longer subject to the ECHR. Of all the extant Tories she's probably the vilest, IDS included.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

PT6A posted:

I thought it was already well-supported in parliament, in which case the referendum was a choice between doing the right think that would've been done in any event, and doing something contrary to equality and human rights.

I'm not sure that counts as a good referendum, although the result was correct.

It wasn't supported strongly by all parties until it was seen to be winning. Sinn Fein were the earliest party campaigners for LGBT rights in Ireland. Labour had previously supported the idea of a referendum where Fine Gael were silent on the issue.
Even the way it was brought forward was done in a way to distance themselves if needed, it was proposed to a convention of some politicians and members of the public so they could a referendum as the will of the people.
Fianna Fail did very little to campaign for the Yes vote and could be seen as cynical, late stage supporters. Even one of their TD's left left due to what she saw cynical and cowardly approach from the party.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

qhat posted:

alex salmond claiming that scotland could share sterling is almost as ludicrous as suggesting the UK can have access to the single market without free movement

Well, the Euro is rapidly recovering and the pound is still falling, so it probably won't be an issue for much longer.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why was marriage a constitutional issue in Ireland in the first place? Who defines marriage in their founding documents? :psyduck:

The Irish constitution has a lot to say about marriage:

article 41 posted:

1. The state recognises the family as the natural
primary and fundamental unit group of society,
and as a moral institution possessing inalienable
and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior
to all positive law

2 The state, therefore, guarantees to protect the
family in its constitution and authority, as the
necessary basis of social order and as indispensable
to the welfare of the nation and the state.

2.1 In particular, the state recognises that by her
life within the home, woman gives to the state a
support without which the common good cannot
be achieved.

2.2 The state shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure
that mothers shall not be obliged by economic
necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of
their duties in the home.

3.1 The state pledges itself to guard with special
care the institution of Marriage, on which the
family is founded, and to protect it against attack

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Hoops posted:

I've expressed this before, but Theresa May is a monster through circumstance rather than personal flaw. All Home Secretaries become fascist Big Brothers eventually, because they get reports on foiled terrorist plots 100 times a year. I pity her in a way. But whether or not it's directly her own fault, that does not change the fact that she is a monster.

That's actually an interesting argument, like should certain government positions be dead ends where you are sinecured into a position as far away as possible from civil liberties and minorities if you have to run the state security apparatus at any point in your life. It sounds like something the ancient Romans might do. An internal cordon sanitaire.

I think it's a mix of personal tendency, the job itself, and the job itself helping reveal certain tendencies.

This sort of thing didn't happen to Home Secretaries during the height of IRA terrorism, did it?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

XMNN posted:

I think the eu might stand in the way of her dream of making judge dredd real
Megacity One has a better social safety net than the UK does...

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I hope the polish are nicer to us than we were to them when we become a source of cheap migratory labour for more developed European economies :ohdear:

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Jedit posted:

Nope. She recognises the benefits of staying in the EU, but doesn't want them as much as she wants to have the UK no longer subject to the ECHR. Of all the extant Tories she's probably the vilest, IDS included.

No, I'm sorry but IDS takes the biscuit for vilest. He went and met people in some of the poorest areas of the UK, listened to how hard life was for them, how they struggled and then went back to enact and promote the legislation that has made their situation even worse and shortened their lives, in some cases leading to suicide. gently caress him, my dream for him post revolution isn't something quick like the guillotine or the wall but to leave him in those exact same circumstances for his final years until he's ground down to nothing and it still won't be enough.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jedit posted:

The ECHR is not the EU, though I can't for May's Britain where we stand united with Belarus and Kazakhstan against the oppressions of human rights law.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Halman posted:

Dumb American here but I thought Tom Watson was supposed to be good

We hoped Tom would be a lefty bastard but turns out he's mostly bastard.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

We hoped Tom would be a lefty bastard but turns out he's mostly bastard.

I'd say it's more that we hoped Tom Watson would be a loyal bastard buut he's mostly been a useless bastard and now he's just a bastard.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Antti posted:

I think it's a mix of personal tendency, the job itself, and the job itself helping reveal certain tendencies.
Yeah I'll agree with that. The Tory ones turn much quicker for obvious reasons that I don't think need to be spelled out to the UKMT. David Blunkett seems to have remained a kind-hearted person, but then again I suppose he wasn't reading any of the reports.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

qhat posted:

It's perfectly feasible to carry on using sterling, it's just dumb for the same reason that joining the Euro would be dumb, just even worse. Scotland would be ceding an exchange rate that floated according to its needs while having no control over monetary policy and only having access to tax raising/spending powers that were significantly smaller than those of rUK.

Several countries around the world do this with the USD though, so it's not the impossibility that single market without free movement is.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden
I voted for Angela Eagle lol

actually all the deputy candidates have turned out terrible, come to think of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

what the gently caress is with the 'accidentally pissed down my own leg' stance?

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

It's like the Tories run a seminar on how to stand without looking human while doing so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OvineYeast posted:

I voted for Angela Eagle lol

actually all the deputy candidates have turned out terrible, come to think of it.

I can't remember who I voted for but I think it was Stella Creasy.

What happened to her?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OvineYeast posted:

well they were all members of the PLP so that's to be expected, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Oberleutnant posted:

I'd say it's more that we hoped Tom Watson would be a loyal bastard buut he's mostly been a useless bastard and now he's just a bastard.

There's no guaranteed GE until 2020, and in the meantime, is it unreasonable to wish to have a leader who has the support of the opposition?

(I understand if you say "it's cool to be out in the wilderness for the next decade so long as we get proper Labourites into office afterwards.")

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 1, 2016

• Locked thread