Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Rufio posted:

I only just now realized that my little Kiwi bird from a start park way way back when is gone. Where did it go?

A pet? It could be following a character or running around in a hideout; you'd have to check the various leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

If you placed it in a hideout it can end up in one of your hideout stashes instead of your microtransaction stash, check those too.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Oh okay, I didn't realize my poor little birdy could be stuck in Standard mode. Nobody deserves that

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Leveling a RF totem char, I'm up to mid 50s and ... what's the catch? Haven't even specced into EE or Overload and I'm just wrecking poo poo on cruise control. 4 more levels will get me the second AoE cluster and it'll be even sillier. I guess the catch is that ideally I'll want to replace my Tabula with a 6l Carcass Jack?

Also, I'm dual curse right now (enfeeble + flammability), on hc should I go triple curse (which would probably require taking the mana reservation nodes) or just stick with dual and enjoy the extra life/res from the ring slot and passive points?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 30, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Leveling a RF totem char, I'm up to mid 50s and ... what's the catch? Haven't even specced into EE or Overload and I'm just wrecking poo poo on cruise control. 4 more levels will get me the second AoE cluster and it'll be even sillier. I guess the catch is that ideally I'll want to replace my Tabula with a 6l Carcass Jack?

Also, I'm dual curse right now (enfeeble + flammability), on hc should I go triple curse (which would probably require taking the mana reservation nodes) or just stick with dual and enjoy the extra life/res from the ring slot and passive points?

My experience with RF Totem was that the delay after dropping a totem before it actually put up RF was very annoying, and that it was extremely annoying when monsters were just outside of the range of the RF so you'd have to keep dropping totems for slightly scattered monsters.

Oh also that it's really lovely to try to play with -40 movespeed because I was wearing full MF gear and I had way too many buttons. It's the only character that used literally all my buttons, walked around like it was wading through butter with Temp Chains on, and still took forever to kill packs that were spread out. I needed the following skills on my bar:

-RF
-Flame Golem/whatever golem
-Movement skill
-Manual curse (required to use this over using an extra blasphemy because it's the only effective mana dump, and you can't use Divination Distillate without having a mana dump to keep the potion active)
-Orb of Storms - Increased Crits (has to be something self cast because skills cast by totems/traps don't cause Ele Overload on you)
-Searing Bond (extra boss damage)
-Ice Trap (for triggering EE since Orb of Storms cannot trigger EE because you do no damage)
-Move only, which I could have replaced by shoving my Golem on left click and then having an extra slot for a Culling Strike + IIR setup

Most of my problems are probably not a real thing if I just wear real gear instead of MF gear though. That said, to really make the most of Flame Totem you do want to trigger EE and EO, and with RF Totem you have to use 2 separate skills to trigger them. It's too many buttons to press for me to like it.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Hauki posted:

It works just fine with earthquake and void heart or poison gem.

Are you sure? Mark-GGG posted on the forums explicitly saying that the chaos skill duration bonus on that mace doesn't work with the poison gem if the linked skill isn't chaos.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Xequecal posted:

Are you sure? Mark-GGG posted on the forums explicitly saying that the chaos skill duration bonus on that mace doesn't work with the poison gem if the linked skill isn't chaos.

I don't give a poo poo about the duration mod at all because I one shot virtually anything other than a map boss when solo.

As a build? It works absolutely fine.

All I'm saying is breath is perfectly viable as is for 1h EQ, you don't need to dual wield, you don't need to run viper strike or whatever else that was suggested apropos of nothing.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Did my first council fight and got Reach of the Council! Should I go assassin for toxic delivery or pathfinder for clearspeed+free poison

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hauki posted:

It works just fine with earthquake and void heart or poison gem.

https://www.twitch.tv/purplelephant/v/75326350

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
So it was proved again - any PoE build, irrelevant how tanky it is, can be defeated by a beer and "that's only three extra damage mods on that map"

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah I saw that yesterday. I was debating trying to get a good less EQ duration helm although I'm not sure it's better than a vuln enchant or whatever in the long run. I was gonna pick up a 20 qual less dur/rapid decay anyway, I definitely can't fit the warped timepiece on my build as is though. Still amusing.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

When you guys are rolling new characters what are your go to skills for fastest leveling to 28-30 to get access to build enabling abilities?

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Zotix posted:

When you guys are rolling new characters what are your go to skills for fastest leveling to 28-30 to get access to build enabling abilities?

I use whatever till 12 then I get a Blade Vortex (linked to faster casting and controlled destruction at 18) and use that until I'm ready to activate my build.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Spark/Freeze Pulse with Fire Trap/Flame Totem for casters. Firestorm at 12 can easily carry you till whenever.

Molten Strike/Frost Blades/Spectral Throw for melee. Sunder/Sweep for 2 hand at 12, and I used that until I could use the unique sword with multistrike for on handed skills.

Ice Shot/Burning Arrow with Shrapnel Shot/Split Arrow for bows. Lightning Arrow or Rain of Arrows at 12 and keep one of the single target skills.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Split Arrow till Facebreakers, then Facebreaker Shield Charge until whatever level. 20, 30, 70, whatever.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

If your class has access to, firetrap/bladvortex will carry you a looooong way.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

is there any way to give charges to minions/totems

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dreggon posted:

is there any way to give charges to minions/totems

quote:

Totems use the player's own skills as though the player had cast them. Therefore, buffs and charges (except Endurance Charges) on the player will apply to totems.[2][3] Totems themselves have a maximum Power Charge and Frenzy Charge limit of zero, because those charges would have no effect on totems themselves.[3]

Also totems do explicitly NOT count as minions.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

quote:

When Trap is linked in combination with the Remote Mine Support inventory icon.pngRemote Mine Support and Spell Totem Support inventory icon.pngSpell Totem Support or Ranged Attack Totem Support inventory icon.pngRanged Attack Totem Support gems, the result is a skill that lays a mine. When the mine is detonated, it lays a trap. When the trap is sprung, it casts a totem, which then can cast the linked skill. Players cannot create traps that lay mines, or totems that lay mines or traps.

What happens when you simply link Trap to a Totem skill?
Like, for example searing bond with cluster traps and +2 max totems?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Each trap that triggers will summon a totem in it's place, if the max number of totems are out then the oldest is destroyed.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

nightwisher posted:

Each trap that triggers will summon a totem in it's place, if the max number of totems are out then the oldest is destroyed.

Ok... do righteous fire totems stack?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok... do righteous fire totems stack?

No. Burns from the same source (in this case, your single righteous fire skill; not each individual totem) do not stack unless otherwise noted.

You could link searing totem to a cluster trap set up, but casting totems 3 times is fast enough cluster traps would just reduce your damage, and throwing 3 traps is even faster.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Count Uvula posted:

No. Burns from the same source (in this case, your single righteous fire skill; not each individual totem) do not stack unless otherwise noted.

You could link searing totem to a cluster trap set up, but casting totems 3 times is fast enough cluster traps would just reduce your damage, and throwing 3 traps is even faster.

Cluster traps would reduce it, but "trap" gives more in turn, and youd only stop once for throwing.
ALso, will the totems scale with trap nodes, since they come from traps?

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I wouldn't use the term clear-speed when describing this build, but that's one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aL3jM7rz2s

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Finally have a viable-enough character on this league (Righteous Fire/Discharge/Warlord's Mark Juggernaut). Yesterday Zana gave me a "kill the corrupted monsters, no time limit" Gorge (sweet)...with Elemental Weakness, Vulnerability and Hexproof. :argh:

Got Zana in a later map and she was nice enough to give me an Untainted Paradise (even sweeter)...and one of the mobs in it was a Keepers of the Trove. :argh:

Zana can be a real bitch sometimes.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Cluster traps would reduce it, but "trap" gives more in turn, and youd only stop once for throwing.
ALso, will the totems scale with trap nodes, since they come from traps?

You are correct that both trap damage and totem damage would apply. Keep in mind that even though Trap is more damage, Cluster Trap is less damage and much steeper. When you can first equip Cluster Traps (level 1 Cluster, level 9 Trap) you get 28% more and 55% less, which gives you a damage effectiveness of 58%. At 20/20 you only get up to 89%.

And good luck grabbing both totem and trap nodes considering they are on complete opposite ends of the tree.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm following this guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1639777/page/1 right now, and I'm on Act 4 of normal. Using Bladefall, as the guide suggests, my single target damage is pretty crap, making bosses pretty annoying to fight. What gear/gems should I look for to make Bladefall better as I level? As a complete part-timer at this game who only returns every now and then when there's a new league, trying to figure this stuff out is super confusing because there are far too many options.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Blade Vortex with Faster Casting, Spell Echo and either Controlled Destruction or Concentrated Effect can do serious work on bosses.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Bladefall with poison and concentrated effect should murder bosses pretty hard

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Just jam Concentrated Effect in for bosses, it'll tear them up.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Finally realized the dream yesterday:

With 12 endurance charges, normal ignite+inc aoe mapping setup:

Super big dick max-dps links:

panda clue fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 1, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

panda clue posted:

With 12 endurance charges:

:sbahj:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

panda clue posted:

With 12 endurance charges, normal ignite+inc aoe mapping setup:

Super big dick max-dps links:

I am the reflect mob you one shot yourself to.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

I am the reflect mob you one shot yourself to.

this happens more often than I care to admit, even with over 7300 hp and a ruby flask running :negative:.

I've learned to run only my absolute lowest possible dps links (ignite/prolif/inc aoe) on maps that have any reduced max resistances... through much trial and error. The numbers could get much higher if I simply threw blood rage into my cwdt setup (especially considering Realm Ender gives a free cold to fire link), but at this point all I'd be doing is increasing the frequency of me one-shotting myself.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 1, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
When maxing resists, do you shoot for just max res or max res + ~20-30 in case of curses?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Jinnigan posted:

When maxing resists, do you shoot for just max res or max res + ~20-30 in case of curses?

I really like elemental weakness as a map mod to mean 'free money with no risk'. Endurance charges also give 4% each, so you can factor that in if you're a Jugg or something.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Jinnigan posted:

You need 164% res all to be capped in elemental weakness maps, and 169% for high tier weakness maps.

e - its an extra 29 for mid tier maps (skill level 10 effect) then its 34 for reds (skill level 15).

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 1, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hmmm. Okay, so I need to up my resists some more. Do you have other suggestions for how I can keep itemizing my witch? I have a budget of a couple dozen chaos. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters

I have (just barely) max resists and ~20% chaos resist. 4k hp. Damage is pretty good, what I really need is some physical damage mitigation.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

Hmmm. Okay, so I need to up my resists some more. Do you have other suggestions for how I can keep itemizing my witch? I have a budget of a couple dozen chaos. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters

I have (just barely) max resists and ~20% chaos resist. 4k hp. Damage is pretty good, what I really need is some physical damage mitigation.

I would recommend you work on getting 4 links and such and better gear as a whole before maxing your resists for high tier maps. Having capped resists on EW maps is something you shoot for when other parts of your gear are good. I have hit 90+ multiple times not giving a poo poo about capping my resists for EW.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

I would recommend you work on getting 4 links and such and better gear as a whole before maxing your resists for high tier maps. Having capped resists on EW maps is something you shoot for when other parts of your gear are good. I have hit 90+ multiple times not giving a poo poo about capping my resists for EW.

Thanks, that's good advice. I just don't even know what better gear looks like, since this is my first character and I've never gotten this far (!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Jinnigan posted:

You could link up an immortal call with your CWDT to give you some help with that for big hits. Even without endurance charge you still get some invulnerable to physical damage.

Do you self curse? Herald of Thunder + Curse on hit + Conductivity can make it a lot smoother with out having to stop then curse things.

You could use some much better jewels, and more jewel slots.

Aug your flasks that only have 1 mod.

I guess you need the strength on the sapphire ring? Other than that and life roll it doesn't have that many stats that are that good for you.

Do that lab already. Not to sound like a dick but do it.

Edit - I'm loving blind and did not notice the clarity you already have. Do you still need to run a mana flask? A granite/basalt will help with taking physical damage.

Try out reduced duration instead of faster casting, Its another more multiplier, and makes the calls go off faster.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 2, 2016

• Locked thread