Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Hey did I miss page 420

e: Son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

EminusSleepus posted:

thanks for your $10 donation for the cause sperg, have a good stay here

like i'd pay to be here

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Ash1138 posted:

oh do you think we won't because of our crippling eshame from being wrong? lol

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Huckaby is on a twitch livestream right now, pleading with people to comment on the latest AtV.:

Disco Lando posted:

with all the changes going on right now, any episode can be the last, so please leave your feedback

Since we are uniquivocally the most influential members of the star citizen community, I figured some of us may want to chime in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMHjqEzaC0

He is interested in both positive and negative feedback.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Huckaby is on a twitch livestream right now, pleading with people to comment on the latest AtV.:

Since we are uniquivocally the most influential members of the star citizen community, I figured some of us may want to chime in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMHjqEzaC0

He is interested in both positive and negative feedback.

I will let you know just as soon as I can bring myself to watch this

Gonna spend a couple days punching myself in the balls first, though; you know, just to warm up to it, kinda dipping my toe in the water here

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Game or not pretty sure anyone still posting is only here to laugh at how terrible CIG RSI does every single thing in their game.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Sorry "game" because lol if you call what exists today a game

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Lazrin posted:

like i'd pay to be here
:downsowned:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Lazrin posted:

like i'd pay to be here

did you steal mommy's credit card? that's a naughty no-no.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

did you steal mommy's credit card? that's a naughty no-no.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Ban him Derek, it'd be hilarious.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm shocked, shocked, that someone paid 10 bucks to troll an internet forums thread

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm shocked, shocked, that someone paid 10 bucks to troll an internet forums thread

Yeah, uh, sorry 'bout that. And all the other threads I posted in

:Points at tophat: "You, alright? I learned it by watching you!"

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Chiwie posted:

This, we legit can't lose.

The game comes out and it's everything CR promised it to be? Then we will play it and have fun.

The 'game' continues to be an absolute train wreck of comedy and fraud? Then we watch it unravel and have fun.

The best part is that we'll play it all wrong! gently caress your immersion, you're going to have an army of nude commandos spamming your chat and stealing your farming ships for fun.

Vodkahead
Jun 4, 2007

orcinus posted:

Semi-unrelated... does anyone remember the name of a novel/story/novelette based on a single gimmick premise - that it's the physical items (tools, weapons, vehicles) that get better with use, instead of humans using them. Essentially, a universe in which items level up, not humans. It dealt with the societal and economic issues stemming from that premise (like rich people paying ”dirty peasants” to level up their items etc.).

I can't even remember the author, but it sounds vaguely Neal Stephensonish.

I'm sure I was beaten 10 pages ago but...you're looking for David Brin The Practice Effect

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Skoll posted:

Hi, I stopped reading this thread many moons ago causer it got dumber instead of funnier.

I just wanted to point out that EightAce mentioned CIG would be closing up by July 1st of this year, 2016, and put it in my phones calendar...

Well, what happened?

Well they have changed their TOS to being with RSI now instead of CIG so he get partial credit on that claim. (edit: although I now see he said 2017 so he still has plenty of time to be spot on)

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 2, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

disco lando posted:

with all the changes going on right now, any episode can be the last, so please leave your feedback

wait whats this about? is disco lando going to be homeless again?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Lazrin posted:

like i'd pay to be here

We make fun of Derek as much as anywhere else, we just do it in a good natured way and are cool with him. We don't have to pretend he is some kind of Arch Demon to dispel our doubts in a deluded fantasy world that will never happen.

We were also having public callouts in GBS about Star Citizen years before Derek got involved, But yeah the people that invented making fun of Derek Smart are somehow spellbound by his presence.

OR, hypothetically, work with me here bro, Star Citizen is deserving of being mocked and people don't really have to have a reason other than Star Citizen itself to mock it?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

wait whats this about? is disco lando going to be homeless again?

The entire Star Citizen media line-up is being reformatted. Reading between the lines, RtV is either going to be canned entirely or severely truncated. 10ftc is going to be canned. AtV is going to be split up into shorter "bite-sized" segments and focus will be shifting away from the LA studio. It's the end of an era.

Also, for the past week they've been hyping an experimental new feature that was meant to serve as a supplement to not having 10ftc. It was going to have Sean Tracey and Chris Roberts "dropping knowledge" about something, and it was supposed to air today. They shelved it at the last minute, and now they won't say when it's going to actually release.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The entire Star Citizen media line-up is being reformatted. Reading between the lines, RtV is either going to be canned entirely or severely truncated. 10ftc is going to be canned. AtV is going to be split up into shorter "bite-sized" segments and focus will be shifting away from the LA studio. It's the end of an era.

Doesn't that free up Sandi for more time to spend on personal projects?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Lando mentions that one of the reasons for this reformatting is to move the focus away from "personalities" and focus more on the game. He says that earlier on, when they didn't have much game to show, they emphasized the prominent "CIG characters" like Chris and Ben and Sandi because it would give people a sense of the vision behind the game that would eventually made. Now things are different, they are in "prime time" and the focus will be more on the game itself.

Which is interesting of course because there is no actual game to focus on. This is something Sandi, who Lando points out is the architect behind the reformatting, probably isn't all that aware of, nor does it make a difference to her either way. The important thing is that now Chris and Sandi won't be as closely tied to the public face of this project. Along with the ToS changes and the recent shift from "CIG" to "RSI", the outlines of an escape hatch are forming.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 2, 2016

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Lazrin posted:

smart is such an imbecile and you are all fools for following him and hanging on his every word

lol, he has you sucking his cock with every made up word he says

he is a demented old man, socially broken in every way

you know what's funny about this thread? it only still exists because you all fear the possibility that everything might just turn out fine.

enjoy.

or would you say.....

have fun

PS :gary:

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Lando mentions that one of the reasons for this reformatting is to move the focus away from "personalities" and focus more on the game. He says that earlier on, when they didn't have much game to show, they emphasized the prominent "CIG characters" like Chris and Ben and Sandi because it would give people a sense of the vision behind the game that would eventually made. Now things are different, they are in "prime time" and the focus will be more on the game itself.

Which is interesting of course because there is no actual game to focus on. This is something Sandi, who Lando points out is the architect behind the reformatting, probably isn't all that aware of, nor does it make a difference to her either way. The important thing is that now Chris and Sandi won't be as closely tied to the public face of this project. Along with the ToS changes and the recent shift from "CIG" to "RSI", the outlines of an escape hatch are forming.

That's an interesting idea. I just thought that the change was to free up time for Sandi to pursue her own projects, but you could be right as well. A shift to a less structured format allows CIG to diffuse use interest across different executives, allowing the leadership to quietly fade away.

One last thought, if CIG really has very little to show, then switching to an unstructured format allows CIG to maximize what little it can produce. In that way, CIG can better disguise the slowdown in content.

Also, has anyone noticed how Sandi has hyped the CIG art department since this thread discussed the low output from CIG? I really like how CIG response so quickly to this thread. Maybe we can get some proof that CIG is working on gameplay too, if Sandi can get a chance?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Lazrin posted:

smart is such an imbecile and you are all fools for following him and hanging on his every word

lol, he has you sucking his cock with every made up word he says

he is a demented old man, socially broken in every way

you know what's funny about this thread? it only still exists because you all fear the possibility that everything might just turn out fine.

enjoy.
Interesting.

How do you explain the state of Star Citizen?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Also, for the past week they've been hyping an experimental new feature that was meant to serve as a supplement to not having 10ftc. It was going to have Sean Tracey and Chris Roberts "dropping knowledge" about something, and it was supposed to air today. They shelved it at the last minute, and now they won't say when it's going to actually release.
Sounds like they are placing all their resources behind the "Making of Star Citizen". Another brilliant move by CIG, saving money as usual.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Pretty terrible idea to have the shell company you're going to burn have your name in the title, rather than the innocuous Cloud Imperium Gaming. Terrible planning skills.

Unless of course it's as we predicted a while ago and Chris is the fall guy. Then it makes sense.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sperglord posted:

That's an interesting idea. I just thought that the change was to free up time for Sandi to pursue her own projects, but you could be right as well. A shift to a less structured format allows CIG to diffuse use interest across different executives, allowing the leadership to quietly fade away.

One last thought, if CIG really has very little to show, then switching to an unstructured format allows CIG to maximize what little it can produce. In that way, CIG can better disguise the slowdown in content.

Also, has anyone noticed how Sandi has hyped the CIG art department since this thread discussed the low output from CIG? I really like how CIG response so quickly to this thread. Maybe we can get some proof that CIG is working on gameplay too, if Sandi can get a chance?

I've always thought, right from the time I started to get familiar with all this, that the sheer volume of CIG's "open development" shows is to bamboozle the backers and the whales into thinking there's way more going on than there actually is.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Peter Gabriel has produced much better content than Derek tbh.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So they gradually started refusing refunds, moved to outright denial and fighting refunds, completelly recinded their promise of financials with an illegally restrictive TOS (which they are standing on to fight people now)

AND

Now they are cutting back on the "Open Development" everyone cites as how this project is so open. They just don't have the content to actually fill time and are obviously in damage control mode.

If they manage to sell this to the community as "We want to focus on the game more and not the people" that will be pretty funny. It's like a store being open with zero inventory on the shelves all the time. Instead of stocking the shelves they tell the customer they are going to start selectively targeting maximized sell zones and only open when they have stock on the shelves. No way is that a desperate stopgap. No way.

Jason Sextro posted:

I've always thought, right from the time I started to get familiar with all this, that the sheer volume of CIG's "open development" shows is to bamboozle the backers and the whales into thinking there's way more going on than there actually is.

This makes sense. The only way we have the complete picture is we have specific people that follow specific releases and can piece together the hilariously rambling and content-less whole.

Any single individual probably can't keep up with the sheer amount of hours of them sitting around awkwardly making poo poo up, so they are secure in the knowledge CIG is releasing something. "There's a new ATV/RTV/104TC all the time, they HAVE to be saying something"

nope. just endlessly making poo poo up and trying to cover for the fact backers have enabled a manchild obsessed with airplanes to fund the worlds worst sequel to the worlds stupidest movie

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 2, 2016

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

goddamn son

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nemo2342 posted:

You can definitely turn off both Early Access and Unreleased games from the Discovery Queue, as well as blocking specific tags. I don't know that it will stop Steam from recommending them on the front of the store page to you though.

Its customizable on the front page too, should be the top right of any of the boxes where products appear.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fat Shat Sings posted:

So they gradually started refusing refunds, moved to outright denial and fighting refunds, completelly recinded their promise of financials with an illegally restrictive TOS (which they are standing on to fight people now)

AND

Now they are cutting back on the "Open Development" everyone cites as how this project is so open. They just don't have the content to actually fill time and are obviously in damage control mode.

If they manage to sell this to the community as "We want to focus on the game more and not the people" that will be pretty funny. It's like a store being open with zero inventory on the shelves all the time. Instead of stocking the shelves they tell the customer they are going to start selectively targeting maximized sell zones and only open when they have stock on the shelves. No way is that a desperate stopgap. No way.

Yep. Combined with their saving funds in their patching schedule due to bandwidth costs I think the wheels are flying off this space bus faster than what I originally imagined.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

This is your god now

:fuzzknot:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The last time they focused on the game we got Chris bitching about the chat window.

Frankly the fact that CIG's executives rarely play their own game is pretty damning.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Since I've been following this Derek has produced lots of wordy hype and zero new varifiable info.

All the comedy is coming from inside this thread or from reddit/frontier. And that comedy is mostly just attempting to play the game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

alf_pogs posted:

do you think sandi, ben, chris et al actually believe their own narrative about game development? like they think "oh this is the usual bullshit that most developers have to put up with nowadays and our project is super ambitious?"

cuz i see sandi's workplace photos and think it comes off as someone trying to prove that they have an office and there's lots of people doing busy things, but like... does she actually believe that development is going okay? i guess my real question is, do these people think they are going to get away with it?

Sandi's only posting photos of them working because we kept giving her guff over posting photos of them playing card games during work hours.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The last time they focused on the game we got Chris bitching about the chat window.

Frankly the fact that CIG's executives don't play their own game is pretty damning.

I like how the second time ever we see Crobberts playing Star Citizen is treated as some special occasion that never happens, he has no idea whats going on at all, poo poo talks the product his employees have made apparently without his knowledge like terrible managers do and this had zero impact on the communities faith in the game.

"What is this! I can't even play this. This sucks!"
Uhhh excuse me bro you been given more than a hundred million dollars to make it. One would assume after 3 years you would have at least seen this before. But no my faith is not shaken and this doesn't seem odd to me at all.

Hiring hollywood actors with a giant script for a supposed future add on module to the game everyone bought? Seems Legit.
Re-shoots of mocap at least 4-5 times admitted by CIG themselves? Just fine.
Going to the imaginarium and still shooting motion capture footage (admitted by CIG themselves) after four years and $110,000,000. FAITH RESTORED.
The fact he was kicked off freelancer for the exact things it looks like hes doing this time? Not a problem.
He seems completely confused and baffled by Star Citizen itself and only speaks to confidence about Squadron 42. Bros before HOTAS amirite?
Inside sources posting messages about the exact things that are obviously happening? Lies.

two words

Derek Smart. Checkmate Goons.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Checkmate, goonies.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Abongination posted:

Since I've been following this Derek has produced lots of wordy hype and zero new varifiable info.

All the comedy is coming from inside this thread or from reddit/frontier. And that comedy is mostly just attempting to play the game.

Welcome to the thread. If you don't fall behind Derek's post just rehashes the last 100-200 pages. Stick around I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/8Y5YIBD.gifv

• Locked thread