Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Infinity Carlet.

I love that Lego Tony Stark has that poo poo-eating grin permanently on his face. As he should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

I haven't seen anything, but Ewing is nothing if not a deep continuity nerd so he'll know that's where we last left him and will provide an explanation at some point.

Ah, here's where She-Hulk depowered recently

I will never stop loving how they always draw Laura the same way they draw Logan. None of this posing so Butt and Boobs are showing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Infinity Carlet.

No ThanosCopter no buy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I will never stop loving how they always draw Laura the same way they draw Logan. None of this posing so Butt and Boobs are showing.

1. She carefully takes off her shoes but rips her suit why Jen?!
2. Where the gently caress did that pouch come from?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

I generally like Yost and it saddens me I haven't seen him attached to anything since his Secret Wars MODOK book.

Isn't he co-writing Thor 3?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

I haven't seen anything, but Ewing is nothing if not a deep continuity nerd so he'll know that's where we last left him and will provide an explanation at some point.

Ah, here's where She-Hulk depowered recently

I like how the way it looks with all three versions of that shot next to each other, Laura asks what Jennifer will do, stands there staring at her as she transforms, and then when she's finally done transforming realizes "Wait, that's She-Hulk!"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

Also there are now 4 active Captain Americas running around in the world; Sam, Steve, Danielle, and the 2099 one from Spider-Man 2099. Looking forward to the upcoming Captains America team up book :v:.

You know what I'd like? A 2099 book set in 2099. Or, 2116, I guess. Anyway, the only thing it needs is to not collapse the way the previous 2099 books did. Maybe make it an anthology series?

Endless Mike posted:

I'm down for USAvengers just because it has Cannonball and Sunspot together. Their bromance is my favorite in comics.

Are you sure they're not gay? They're two men with a close friendship...

SynthOrange posted:

1. She carefully takes off her shoes but rips her suit why Jen?!
2. Where the gently caress did that pouch come from?

1. Shoes are very mysterious and objects of arcane power? IDGI, but some ladies seem to.
2. The pouch is concealed under her jacket.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last I checked, Cannonball was in a relationship with a child though I don't know if they're married. He'd have to be bisexual and in an open relationship and truly I think that would be pushing things.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Isn't Cannonball married to the new Smasher and have a kid with her? Also, what? She was clearly in her mid-to-late twenties.

Ed: Oh, he's in a relationship and has a child. Oh.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

In defense of my BSS Buddy, Endless Mike, anyone younger than 30 should be considered a Literal Child. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, that was poorly phrased, but he is in a relationship in which he has a child.

And yes, anyone under 30 is a Literal Child.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Trast posted:

Having read through Civil War for the first time on Unlimited I was curious what other big events are essential reading in everyone's opinion as far as modern Marvel goes? Secret Wars 2 I would imagine and I heard Original Sin was entertaining.

Planet Hulk/World War Hulk got me back into comics. I know some folks aren't fond of the latter entirely.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo, guys.

Venom: Circle of Four is the sickest poo poo ever. Agent Venom, X-23, Thunderbolt, and Ghost Rider should just form the most dysfunctional superteam of total pricks fighting occult nonsense every goddamned day.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Too bad it was the worst Ghost Rider.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Yo, guys.

Venom: Circle of Four is the sickest poo poo ever. Agent Venom, X-23, Thunderbolt, and Ghost Rider should just form the most dysfunctional superteam of total pricks fighting occult nonsense every goddamned day.

Yeah, it was a nice spin on the New Fantastic Four from the '90s.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This is the greatest image ever put to page.

They should've just stopped printing comics after inking, coloring, and printing this image.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Last I checked, Cannonball was in a relationship with a child though I don't know if they're married. He'd have to be bisexual and in an open relationship and truly I think that would be pushing things.

Toxxupation posted:

Isn't Cannonball married to the new Smasher and have a kid with her? Also, what? She was clearly in her mid-to-late twenties.

Ed: Oh, he's in a relationship and has a child. Oh.

#givecannonballaboyfriend

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
#makeeverybodygay

#everybody

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Toxxupation posted:

This is the greatest image ever put to page.

They should've just stopped printing comics after inking, coloring, and printing this image.

One of my favorite things in Marvel is giving the Venom symbiote to other characters.

And yes, they should have stopped printing comics after Circle of Four.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I really like the Night Thrasher and Damage Control stories in the Choosing Sides anthology for CWII.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

#makeeverybodygay

#everybody

This guy gets it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This seems like such a...dumb concept for a second civil war, to be honest. I mean, right before this, there was actually a far more interesting (to me anyway) concept in Avengers: Standoff and Pleasant Hill. "What do we do with supervillains?" seems like it should be the most pertinent question for superheroes, not "guy can maybe see the future, what do?" More interesting debates and conversations, too. It's why I still love that old story about how SHIELD brainwashed Sin. In a sense, it was noble of them because, given how she was raised, she never had a chance to be a normal person or have a good life. But on the other hand, such personal violation is worse than even death.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

In a sense, it was noble of them because, given how she was raised, she never had a chance to be a normal person or have a good life. But on the other hand, such personal violation is worse than even death.

It raises the question of when, if ever, it's right to label someone as a lost cause. I think if you're taking the idea that someone can never reform, why not just kill them? But past that, so many people have reformed, irl and in comics, who you'd think never had a chance, but it happens.

Imo, society should invest heavily in deprogramming members of hate groups and the like.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

It raises the question of when, if ever, it's right to label someone as a lost cause. I think if you're taking the idea that someone can never reform, why not just kill them? But past that, so many people have reformed, irl and in comics, who you'd think never had a chance, but it happens.

Imo, society should invest heavily in deprogramming members of hate groups and the like.

That has never worked. You can not force someone to change. You can educate them but unless they have a revelation it's impossible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think there's been too much serious effort. Most prison systems are centered far too much around punishment. What's the point of taking a murderer, and locking them in a hell hole for 20 years, then letting them back out with no expectation of them having changed? "Okay, civilization has gotten it's revenge on you, but we still hate you and treat you like a leper". That's dumb.

Of course, most super villains are just bank robbers and the like. Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne making a special effort to get them jobs and poo poo is good. It enters different territory when you get to the straight up war criminals like Red Skull.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Of course, most super villains are just bank robbers and the like. Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne making a special effort to get them jobs and poo poo is good. It enters different territory when you get to the straight up war criminals like Red Skull.

I wanna post this now 'cuz it's relevant and I just read these issues:

When people think SUPER VILLAIN they think Thanos or Red Skull or Carnage. Most so-called supervillains are petty criminals who are doing the things they do because they have no other options. Like, there's apparently a Captain America enemy called Bison where in some book Cap himself observes the guy is only a crook because he can't get a real job but he wants to support his girlfriend.

At worst, most supervillains are just kinda dumb muscle types like Titania above or her husband. They don't have any other skills and when a job employer sees MASTERS OF EVIL in your history, they're gonna be a tad judgmental. (the super-strength and stuff probably doesn't help either)

The Avengers or Peter or someone should have like, a sponsorship program where they give the supervillains looking to reform a helping hand. It's not charity, it's just pragmatism. If you extend the hand of friendship they're less likely to want to punch you in the face.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There would be less bad guy bars with hero's faces on dart boards if the heroes gave a poo poo.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

NikkolasKing posted:

The Avengers or Peter or someone should have like, a sponsorship program where they give the supervillains looking to reform a helping hand. It's not charity, it's just pragmatism. If you extend the hand of friendship they're less likely to want to punch you in the face.

Pete's got two working for him right now (last I read).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The idea of reforming supervillains is an incredibly common one especially for Marvel where a vast majority of supervillains outside of real shitheads are just dudes, and the genetics of the company's creative direction has character development coded into them.The thunderbolts, damage control, basically every single story Loki has ever been in but especially young Loki, every superhero team has had a reformed villain on it at some point, the entirety of Dark Reign was about redeeming (or trying to redeem) villains, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, etc. gently caress, Spider-Man was a reformed villain for a year.

I mean the concept of reformation/rehabilitation/redemption is so strongly coded into the creative ideals of Marvel that fuckin' Thanos himself, the dude so in love with Death that his one goal is the destruction of the universe, was temporarily a legitimate "good guy". If there's one slogan of the Marvel Universe, it's "It is never too late to start doing good."

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 3, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, while Otto was more effective in some ways, to do so he killed Peter, took over his life, and basically committed rape, so calling him an effectively reformed villain is dubious.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You're getting caught up in the weeds when I'm speaking more about how the idea of rehabilitating/reforming criminals is not some unexplored topic in Marvel. It happens, quite literally, all the time.

Like look at Silver Surfer/ Galactus, by all rights they should be two of the biggest villains in the universe but Silver Surfer is a hero and has been since his introductory story, which is all about realizing how much more fulfilling it is to be a hero. And that was, again, 1966. That's how long Marvel has been playing with this idea. It's all a logical exaggeration of Spider-Man himself, whose entire origin is about a kid being an rear end in a top hat and then paying the price for it. Redemption is coded into Spidey's DNA and has itself reflected across the entire Marvel Universe.

And Galactus, himself, the guy who eats planets, is really an anti-hero/tragic hero considering how his imperative is actually a universal constant and necessity.And even then Ultimates has, right now, turned Galactus into an unequivocal hero.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 3, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
True, true.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

And Galactus, himself, the guy who eats planets, is really an anti-hero/tragic hero considering how his imperative is actually a universal constant and necessity.And even then Ultimates has, right now, turned Galactus into an unequivocal hero.

Didn't they do this by force? Basically Pleasant Hill him but with magic or something?

Which presumably means the Ultimates have completely destabilized the order of the universe.

And for all the reformations that stick, a ton more don't. The listed villains are but a drop in the ocean of Marvel's rogues. Also why should these supervillains become superheroes instead? Why do they have to join Thunderbolts instead of just living normal lives?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

NikkolasKing posted:

Also why should these supervillains become superheroes instead? Why do they have to join Thunderbolts instead of just living normal lives?

Even this would make for a better story than CWII. Some B-list heroes get together and start killing supervillians who have been lying low, based on some shaky evidence that one or two of them had a plot to blow up the White House or Avengers Tower at some point, now you've got "How strong does the evidence need to be before we punish somebody for a crime they may not have even ever committed?" and "When is it appropriate to kill?" and "When is a hero just a vigilante?" again. Throw in a couple real Avengers who don't agree with the level of punishment handed out by their friends to their other friends (especially those like Natasha who actually have killed for the government/Shield), make some stupid fake tweets of people who support and condemn the instigating heroes, kill off War Machine/The Falcon/Nick Fury Jr/Denzel Washington, shoehorn the Inhumans in somehow, and there's your Civil War II: Civil Harder.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Even this would make for a better story than CWII. Some B-list heroes get together and start killing supervillians who have been lying low, based on some shaky evidence that one or two of them had a plot to blow up the White House or Avengers Tower at some point, now you've got "How strong does the evidence need to be before we punish somebody for a crime they may not have even ever committed?" and "When is it appropriate to kill?" and "When is a hero just a vigilante?" again. Throw in a couple real Avengers who don't agree with the level of punishment handed out by their friends to their other friends (especially those like Natasha who actually have killed for the government/Shield), make some stupid fake tweets of people who support and condemn the instigating heroes, kill off War Machine/The Falcon/Nick Fury Jr/Denzel Washington, shoehorn the Inhumans in somehow, and there's your Civil War II: Civil Harder.

The X-Men are excluded because nobody likes them/they are owned by the enemy and Marvel won't give free publicity to Fox.

Seriously, I didn't really believe what my fellow X-fans were telling me when I got back into comics but given th X-Men were apparently workin gwith Apocalypse on some genocide bomb, I'm beginning to think Marvel really does just want to axe the franchise for the time being.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NikkolasKing posted:

Didn't they do this by force? Basically Pleasant Hill him but with magic or something?

Which presumably means the Ultimates have completely destabilized the order of the universe.

And for all the reformations that stick, a ton more don't. The listed villains are but a drop in the ocean of Marvel's rogues. Also why should these supervillains become superheroes instead? Why do they have to join Thunderbolts instead of just living normal lives?

Yes, but only after going up to Galactus and going "We figured out a way to sate your hunger" and Galactus going, as he usually does "Get away mortals, I am a universal constant, I am impossible to fix, etc," forcing the Ultimates' hand. And the important thing is that what the Ultimates did wasn't a violation and didn't remove free will - Galactus' whole deal is that he doesn't want to destroy planets, but has to, because he has a bottomless hunger. It's not Galactus wants to feed, it's Galactus must feed.

The Ultimates didn't chain or lessen Galactus' power, all they did was fix a flaw - any subsequent decisions were his to make. And faced with the option to do good, Galactus immediately did so, without any hesitation - he became the Lifebringer. It's a macrocosm of how most Marvel villains are victims of circumstance, and when given the option to make up for their crimes will usually do so.

And obviously yes, the Ultimates have more than likely destabilized the order of the universe and I'm gonna guess the end to Lifebringer Galactus is him sacrificing the gift the Ultimates gave him to restore cosmic balance/save the universe, but that doesn't invalidate what the Ultimates did or means that their actions weren't moral and correct ones, even in retrospect.

To your second point: This is the superhero comics genre, and the superhero comics genre requires villains. Some bad people need to stay bad because otherwise there's nobody for the good guys to punch besides other good guys, which is something that Marvel's gotten a lot of flak for anyways (that nobody's a true "villain" in the Marvel Universe and that most line-wide crossovers consist of heroes fighting other heroes).

Re: why supervillains become superheroes: because, again, superhero comics. People don't want to read about Constrictor trying to make it as an accountant while dating Diamondback and feeling deep depression over his feelings of inadequacy and inability to "measure up" to what he perceives she desires combined with his deep love for her. Actually, I would read the hell out of that comic, but I'd be one of like, two people on the planet to do so. Although I personally love the "superheroes become super-powered versions of regular people" concept explored in She-Hulk sometimes, Daredevil even less, and Damage Control it's always been an idea that has never sold particularly well and for obvious reason: comics readers wanna read about punching.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Re: why supervillains become superheroes: because, again, superhero comics. People don't want to read about Constrictor trying to make it as an accountant while dating Diamondback and feeling deep depression over his feelings of inadequacy and inability to "measure up" to what he perceives she desires combined with his deep love for her. Actually, I would read the hell out of that comic, but I'd be one of like, two people on the planet to do so. Although I personally love the "superheroes become super-powered versions of regular people" concept explored in She-Hulk sometimes, Daredevil even less, and Damage Control it's always been an idea that has never sold particularly well and for obvious reason: comics readers wanna read about punching.

I really think something like that could work as a miniseries, honestly. For me, my dream comic is a mini about Absorbing Man/Titania. It wasn't even originally my idea because I didn't dare dream that others loved them as much as I do but there was a whole topic on CBR with a lot of people saying they'd read it.

It still won't happen but I think it is too limiting to say people only want punching . Maybe most of the time they only want punching but you can still work in some "character drama" stuff here and there. I'm reading Watchmen for the first time and Chapter III had barely any action in it at all as far as I remember and it was by far the best chapter yet.

Plus, these two people who do an X-Men podcast describe the X-Men as less of an action series with drama and more of a drama series with action and I agree with that. It's why the X-Men are my favorite Marvel franchise.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 3, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Several X-Men are instrumental to the main CW2 book, there's an X-men tie-in book, three team x-men books that sell way better than Inhumans books, and a half dozen solo mutant books right now, not to mention the what, three or four Deadpool books?

Marvel isn't trying to distance themselves from mutants at all, that's a tinfoil hat theory.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hope once Apocalypse Wars is over, the All New X-men go to the Mall.

X-men need to go to the mall every so often. No matter what you thought about Bendis, he at least had the Uncanny X-men issues show Scotts team just hanging out and talking to each other, and even once all the girls went shopping.

I was looking at the Marvel Previews insert and I noticed at least 2 comics had "Has nothing to do with Civil War 2!" as one of its bullet points, reminded me when Next Wave did that during, I want to say fear itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NikkolasKing posted:

The X-Men are excluded because nobody likes them/they are owned by the enemy and Marvel won't give free publicity to Fox.

Seriously, I didn't really believe what my fellow X-fans were telling me when I got back into comics but given th X-Men were apparently workin gwith Apocalypse on some genocide bomb, I'm beginning to think Marvel really does just want to axe the franchise for the time being.

No they're not. There's literally over a dozen X-Books of various denominations and they just started a new X-Series off the back of the ANAD relaunch. Deadpool is probably one of the top five characters in the Marvel universe at this point who supports something like five different ongoings with just his name on it in some fashion. There's a mutant on virtually every single teamup book (including Uncanny Avengers, which is almost entirely mutants), Wolverine is dead and has two ongoing series with his name on it. Marvel is not marginalizing the X-Men. I mean, hell, there's a dedicated X-Men miniseries of Civil War II, which is an honor (a dedicated miniseries over a tie-in issue carried by a currently running comic) that only the X-Men and Spider-Man have so far.

Marvel is not marginalizing the X-Men. They absolutely, positively are not marginalizing the X-Men. The X-Men will continue to have, honestly, probably too many books about them printed considering how varied in quality they are according to the people who follow them.

twistedmentat posted:

I was looking at the Marvel Previews insert and I noticed at least 2 comics had "Has nothing to do with Civil War 2!" as one of its bullet points, reminded me when Next Wave did that during, I want to say fear itself?

Civil War I, actually.

• Locked thread