Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Yeah I'm around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Try this unless you're married to the LPL. It's LL and mgs or LPL alone, no choices man.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah I tried to do the same thing and ended up with 3mg and a LL as the only option.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
LPL on Two Legs is the standard crazy locust build, for comparison.

A half ton of MG ammo for 3 mg's doesn't do a whole lot.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
locust 1v doesn't need the machine guns anyway, a single LPL plus the 50% energy cooldown quirk makes it a pew pew machine

edit: I had a buddy deal over 800 damage in a match with single LPL mounted on his locust

Marijuana Nihilist fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 2, 2016

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Thanks everyone for the help. I gave up on the LPL :( but now it has a MPL 4MGs and a gently caress ton of ammo. Also thanks to the gents that dragged me around Faction Scouting.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

EponymousMrYar posted:

LPL on Two Legs is the standard crazy locust build, for comparison.

A half ton of MG ammo for 3 mg's doesn't do a whole lot.

XL 190 for all the speed on that one

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ok...then why the hell doesn't clicking the DOUBLE HEAT SINK upgrade automatically move the engine from 5 standards to 10 total as 5 doubles? Unless it's literally :pgi:

Correct me if im wrong, but you need 10 pieces of heatsinks. Double heatsink doent count as 2 single heatsinks.
If you have a 5 standard heatsink engine, double heatsinks makes that 5 double heatsinks, so you still only have 5 heatsinks which is 5 short of 10?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Correct me if im wrong, but you need 10 pieces of heatsinks. Double heatsink doent count as 2 single heatsinks.
If you have a 5 standard heatsink engine, double heatsinks makes that 5 double heatsinks, so you still only have 5 heatsinks which is 5 short of 10?

That would be correct. You would also be correct in saying I am salty about that because it seems super dumb. Increasing heatsinks from singles to doubles, in my mind, make it go from 5 to 10, but whatever. I just did 400 damage in the Locust with an MPL and 4 MGs in quick play. Hilarious.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

That would be correct. You would also be correct in saying I am salty about that because it seems super dumb. Increasing heatsinks from singles to doubles, in my mind, make it go from 5 to 10, but whatever. I just did 400 damage in the Locust with an MPL and 4 MGs in quick play. Hilarious.

Lol if you think 5x2=10 at :pgi:
5x2 = better 5

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You need 10 heatsinks because otherwise your computer says no.

Why? Don't question Friend Computer citizen. That's something a traitor would do.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Honestly if I could put a LPL on this mech I do not think I would play anything else. This is the greatest thing ever. I run at 140kph and pew pew things and then a hum of machine guns. I just killed a Direwolf with machine guns because it was cracked open. I'm in love.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 2, 2016

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
Stupid question that I probably already know the answer to: If you unlock all the basic skills for a variant and sell it, will it still count towards mastering the mech? I'm running low on Mechlab space and the only other option I'd have is buying a Steam sale pack and spending the MC on extra slots.

I'm guessing no because :pgi:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NightfallGemini posted:

Stupid question that I probably already know the answer to: If you unlock all the basic skills for a variant and sell it, will it still count towards mastering the mech? I'm running low on Mechlab space and the only other option I'd have is buying a Steam sale pack and spending the MC on extra slots.

I'm guessing no because :pgi:

xp doesnt vanish, so you can sell a basicīd mech and it still counts as having basicīd that mech

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
Color me surprised. Well, at least that's one good thing.

That said, are any of those steam pack things actually worth it right now?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

6 spl locust is cheesy and fun, its like a better version of my mpl jenner because it is so small and easy to sneak behind assaults/heavies and just brutalize them. I have won it feels like 80% of my games the last 2 days I have been driving it and doing 500 ish damage a match or better unless my team really fucks up.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

NightfallGemini posted:

Color me surprised. Well, at least that's one good thing.

That said, are any of those steam pack things actually worth it right now?

If you want to spend money you should look at the mastery packs in-game, they are a much better value.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

TjyvTompa posted:

If you want to spend money you should look at the mastery packs in-game, they are a much better value.

And they go on sale every so often, apparently! None of them are of particularly interesting mechs though, it seems like.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
I was mostly interested in the Stormcrow one, since getting a Stormcrow that makes me extra C-Bills seems pretty great along with all the other stuff, and since it's $24 instead of $40 for a mastery pack it feels kinda better from where I'm standing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Don't buy any of the steam packs, they are horrible deals. :pgi: is extremely money grubby in general for their prices on well, everything, but the steam poo poo is outrageous ( probably because Valve takes a cut of it ).

In fact, it's best if you just don't give them money at all.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
But how will they pay the guy who invents poo poo like long toms then?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

But how will they pay the guy who invents poo poo like long toms then?

That guy got paid 30 years ago.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
Actually, the more I think about it, you guys are right. I may as well just grind out the Stormcrow and put that money towards other steam sale junk.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

That guy got paid 30 years ago.

whatever that guy invented is not whats in game right now.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The point of the mastery pack is that you get 3 versions so you can elite the mech. In my opinion there is no point in buying a single mech and not buying 2 more to elite it, it makes them much better.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

There's a Stormcrow Mastery Pack? Is it ever available on sale for MC?

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006

Artificer posted:

There's a Stormcrow Mastery Pack? Is it ever available on sale for MC?

It's not a mastery pack, unfortunately. It's some weird bundle thing that's $24 until the 4th that has a Stormcrow Prime(S), a Hunchback(S) thing, 1500MC, a couple mechbays and some paint junk.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NightfallGemini posted:

It's not a mastery pack, unfortunately. It's some weird bundle thing that's $24 until the 4th that has a Stormcrow Prime(S), a Hunchback(S) thing, 1500MC, a couple mechbays and some paint junk.

That's the steam pack we're telling people not to get, genius.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh gently caress no I'm not spending anymore actual money on this.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Did you know that loving long tom can activate in the midst of a running game where it wasnt available at start?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Don't forget that in MWO, double heatsinks are actually 1.4 heatsinks. Because :pgi:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Don't forget that in MWO, double heatsinks are actually 1.4 heatsinks. Because :pgi:
Only if they're outside the engine. :pgi:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Why engines need 10 heat sinks:

They're part of the reactor shielding. Most of them are redundant (the engine only needs 2 heat sinks to absorb the heat of just walking/running around). Consider them a quintuple-redundancy to help keep the dumb space nobility of the Inner Sphere from irradiating their own bloodlines out of existence.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Can someone PM me the Mumble channel WoL currently uses? Thanks!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

TheParadigm posted:

mumble mumble.goonrathi.com, pass mellon

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why engines need 10 heat sinks:

They're part of the reactor shielding. Most of them are redundant (the engine only needs 2 heat sinks to absorb the heat of just walking/running around). Consider them a quintuple-redundancy to help keep the dumb space nobility of the Inner Sphere from irradiating their own bloodlines out of existence.

This is a BT retcon to explain why every engine in BT comes with ten heatsinks by default. Heat has always been a broad abstraction of the ability to power and manage X amount of weaponry. Like most old tabletop-game rules, a bunch of STEMlord nerds and third-tier fiction authors who can't understand abstraction turned it into a rigid, specific meaning.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

This is a BT retcon to explain why every engine in BT comes with ten heatsinks by default. Heat has always been a broad abstraction of the ability to power and manage X amount of weaponry. Like most old tabletop-game rules, a bunch of STEMlord nerds and third-tier fiction authors who can't understand abstraction turned it into a rigid, specific meaning.

Thats why you usually resort to "mana" if you dont want to argue with nerds.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016
I think the last page could be an argument that:

1. Battletech has some arcane and arbitrary construction rules if you're not deep into the series/lore

2. MW:O doesn't necessarily do a good job of explaining these conceits up front, which can be exacerbated if you just dropped several million C-Bills on a new mech only to find out what you want to do runs afoul of one of them

Dueling Bandsaws fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 2, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Jesus christ trying to do invasion solo is literally punching yourself in the dick repeatedly. Every loving map the clans just line up and murder you down from 1000 meters. gently caress why am I still playing this bullshit.

Anything good on sale on steam? I already picked up the third Shadowrun. Just Cause 3 worth buying?

Holy poo poo, gently caress :pgi: 11 minutes in invasion queue game crashes, welp, back of the line for you.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Jesus christ trying to do invasion solo is literally punching yourself in the dick repeatedly. Every loving map the clans just line up and murder you down from 1000 meters. gently caress why am I still playing this bullshit.

Anything good on sale on steam? I already picked up the third Shadowrun. Just Cause 3 worth buying?

Holy poo poo, gently caress :pgi: 11 minutes in invasion queue game crashes, welp, back of the line for you.

pgi wants your dick punched, hence the event conditions.
ive poopsocked today and have 6/10 wins, but now the premades are on defense and we just get chain slaughtered.
Also clan only drops where tehy have long toms, so its either
a) get long tomīd
b) run into premades
c) dont cw at all

have fun with the event,
yours truly
:pgi:

e: 3rd crash on gamestart today

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 2, 2016

• Locked thread