Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Last time I was in Clacton I don't think I saw a single non-white person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
On further looking at it Lancashire isn't as clean as Yorkshire, some of the rural areas in Lancashire went Leave overwhelmingly, while in Yorkshire they all were around 50/50. So Scotland, Yorkshire, Northern Ireland, & London should split off and let the rest of them burn.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Steve2911 posted:

Last time I was in Clacton I don't think I saw a single non-white person.

They kick out all the gingers there too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ukle posted:

On further looking at it Lancashire isn't as clean as Yorkshire
That's what my friends in Barnsley often say.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's not even that, it's the idea that Corbs somehow sabotaged the Remain campaign by not claiming that the EU can have no flaw. In an election where most voters voted Leave this approach seems pretty loving unlikely to have given bigger dividends in Remain votes than acknowledging that the EU is flawed but reformable into something better.

It's a complete nonsense argument, and I'd dismiss it as another example of generic Corbyn Bad stuff if it weren't for the fact that some people seem to believe it sincerely.

The entire referendum was something of a poison pill - it's also put a lot of very real fear into the idea of democracy as one person one vote, so to speak - but we know it wasn't really about change in the UK. The underlying systemic issues - the state of Journalism being a major factor/side effects of capitalism - that helped along the Leave campaign to victory are indeed the problem. (David Simon is a good point of reference here)

Also the PLP were hoping for a crisis, likely not of this magnitude, to lay at the conservatives feet in order to become electable - hence the rush to push Corbyn out right now, while mixing it up in the aftermath of brexit. However the Leave outcome and all this talk of coming together after flirting with a “pseudo” fascist rhetoric; has made the underlying tensions from the last 30 years of ideological policy bubble to the surface, in the worst possible way.

Been revisiting a lot of Adam Curtis older work over the past few weeks. The Living Dead, The Century of the Self, The Power of Nightmares etc. Figure some of you might be interested as well, lot of his work is more relevant than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xoM6-1SWl4

brawleh fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 2, 2016

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011

ukle posted:

Tories try to copy the PLP -

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/senior-tories-plotting-bring-quick-end-leadership-contest/

They are trying to engineer it so that May wins outright so it doesn't go to the membership, as they must be worried her evilness Leadsom will win if it went to the wider party.
Relevant Daily Daily Mail Online Report:
Looks like DM has quickly relented to the will of online commenters (that seem to prefer Leadsom who is a GOOD and TRUE BREXITER unlike that treacherous EUROPHILE Theresa reMAYn) and is now running a few articles about Andrea Leadsom, including a glossy profile:

Note the lack of phrase "X's daughter". That's how you can tell that their hearts aren't really in it.

also in the news:

Proof that DM journos read UKMT :ohdear:?

:siren:Watch out Brits :siren:

E: turns out Angela's real name is Andrea

stefania_r fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 2, 2016

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

stefania_r posted:

Relevant Daily Daily Mail Online Report:
Looks like DM has quickly relented to the will of online commenters (that seem to prefer Leadsom who is a GOOD and TRUE BREXITER unlike that treacherous EUROPHILE Theresa reMAYn) and is now running a few articles about Angela Leadsom, including a glossy profile:

Note the lack of phrase "X's daughter". That's how you can tell that their hearts aren't really in it.

Um, could you explain the bit I've bolded?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

stefania_r posted:

Ha, Leave getting ready to blame anyone but themselves for what's coming.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Guavanaut posted:

It was never a piece of actual written legislation called the "Union of the Crowns" but it did lead to a court case declaring that the crowns were in union and therefore the subjects were in common, which under the British constitution and English common law is as good as.

quote:

Concerns had been expressed that extending the privileges of English subjects to all Scots would cause England to be flooded by "an influx of 'hungry Scots'".

I can't stop laughing

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

stefania_r posted:

Sir Humphrey would be a godsend right now.

Spangly A posted:

I spend time in lancarshire and I live in kent

there is nothing civilised down here. Just inbreeding. The coasts are bad.

It's not that the coasts are good, it's that they're necessary to wall in the dumpster fire.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Chocolate Teapot posted:

The right wing press still wet themselves over Thatcher being a shopkeeper's daughter and have been making a big deal about May being the daughter of a vicar.

I've no idea what Andrea Leadsom's father did for a living, but I assume it wasn't salt-of-the-earth enough to get their Thatcher boners twitching.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Fash got hosed in Southampton

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

http://www.gove2016.co.uk/

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Sorry for the confusion, it didn't came out right. What I mean is: Margaret Thatcher is often referred to as ' the grocer's daughter'. Maybe it's all in my head but I noticed that there is a trend in the media to describe various female politicians as "her father's profession's daughter" as a way to link them to Maggie.
For instance, here's a yesterday DM headline: "The vicar's daughter who met her husband at a Conservative disco: Deadly serious. Utterly steely. After all those Etonians, could this grammar school girl, whose grandmothers were in service, be just what Britain needs? "

e: basically what NO gently caress YOU DAD said

stefania_r fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 2, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leadsom's family as far as I know own businesses and gave her loads of money so I doubt she's from anywhere you'd want to shout about.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

blowfish posted:

Sir Humphrey would be a godsend right now.

Sir Humphrey would've prevented the referendum happening in the first place.

quote:

Sir Humphrey: Minister, Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last five hundred years: to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians. Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it's worked so well?
Hacker: That's all ancient history, surely?
Sir Humphrey: Yes, and current policy. We 'had' to break the whole thing [the EEC] up, so we had to get inside. We tried to break it up from the outside, but that wouldn't work. Now that we're inside we can make a complete pig's breakfast of the whole thing: set the Germans against the French, the French against the Italians, the Italians against the Dutch... The Foreign Office is terribly pleased; it's just like old times.
Hacker: But surely we're all committed to the European ideal?
Sir Humphrey: [chuckles] Really, Minister.
Hacker: If not, why are we pushing for an increase in the membership?
Sir Humphrey: Well, for the same reason. It's just like the United Nations, in fact; the more members it has, the more arguments it can stir up, the more futile and impotent it becomes.
Hacker: What appalling cynicism.
Sir Humphrey: Yes... We call it diplomacy, Minister.

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Leadsom's family as far as I know own businesses and gave her loads of money so I doubt she's from anywhere you'd want to shout about.
Um her family owned various stores so DM could have easily spin it as "shop(s)owners' daughter". Watch out Angie, DM gonna stab you in the back :tinfoil:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Know anything about Glasgow antifa? Thinking bout joining.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Oberleutnant posted:

Finally some good news. What happened?

I feel really lovely about not getting involved in all this

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/02/jeremy-corbyn-urged-to-retire-with-dignity-as-hard-left-recruit/

quote:

A furious Jeremy Corbyn appeared to have been held back by aides after he lost his cool with a reporter today when asked if he was "running away" from answering questions about his beleaguered leadership.

A journalist posed the question to the Labour leader after he spoke at a 'Love Islington, Say No to Hate Crime' rally on Highbury Fields, in North London, but a visibly angry Mr Corbyn is said to have lunged in the reporter's direction in front of camera crews and photographers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Get em Corby. Do a Buzz Aldrin.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

HopperUK posted:

Get em Corby. Do a Buzz Aldrin.

Is he gonna yell at the moon?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I want Buzz to come back, and clean my dirty, with his soapy fish.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I thought it looked like they were trying to keep him moving, not that he was lunging.

I'm glad there was a video so I could decide for myself though.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
"Is said to" infront of "camera crews and photographers"

In other words, absolutely nothing happened. Watched the video in the article but an ad started playing halfway through.

Looks like the aides wanted to stop Corbyn from speaking, not starting a fight. Which to be fair, he has a reputation for doing.

???

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Set the Corbs loose

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Laradus posted:

I thought it looked like they were trying to keep him moving, not that he was lunging.

I'm glad there was a video so I could decide for myself though.
This is never not relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGFaOeUm2A&t=51s

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Get in Jezza, go out swinging. If the fucks are going to force you out give Hilary Benn the re-education his dad should have given him.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

It really is. :D

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Good to hear: I forgot that it was this morning and didn't go to the demo :(

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Old man turns around to answer question, is accused of acting threateningly.

The press has become everything it accuses "Safe space" uni students of being.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Autonomous Monster posted:

I can't stop laughing

There had just been a long famine and a series of plague epidemics in Scotland at the time of the Union of the Crowns.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
They really are reaching now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

lol another non-story about jezza doing a really bad thing that didn't happen (please point out where in the video he's about to lunge at some reporter to beat her up)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Set the Corbs loose

Cry havoc and let slip the Corbs of war

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Murderm-y Killbyn

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Cry havoc and let slip the Corbs of war

To Corb or not to Corb, that is the Brexit.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

blowfish posted:

To Corb or not to Corb, that is the Brexit.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of the PLP
Or to take arms against a sea of Blairites,
And, by opposing, end them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah man when has an ideology or attitude ever been named after the person who made it famous.

Agreed
When 'Blairism' referred to that particular strain of thought in Labour 90s/2000s that was ok. Now that it people use it to mean every disparate member bar Corbyn, McDonnel & Abbot it's as good as meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Appears to lunge at a reporter

Might be secretly ISIS Leader

Is perhaps literally Hitler in disguise

Might regularly kill orphans for fun

If we keep throwing out accusations something has to stick eventually, right???

• Locked thread