Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zemyla posted:

And they're all dead now.

I'm holding out hope history repeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

What do you think this dude does for a living. Like, how does he live.

Honestly? Disability check.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Mikujin posted:

Mono-Red was also a strong deck in that standard, though they, too, contained Mutavaults. Most everything else was bulk, though (unless you were on the Mono-R Devotion deck which wasn't as good).

I got my friend into magic around this time and I have fond memories of this standard.

We played a ton of kitchen table magic with him working on esper control and r/g aggro and I went all in on g/b poo poo since I love predator ooze.

Also played fnm and I loved my r/b aggro deck. Mogis marauder is my dude

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So I went onto Reddit because I am an idiot and wanted to see if any of the pauper players there have figured out anything fancy to beat the Peregrine Drake decks. No, all the Drake decks are totally busted, even if some people are in denial and think the meta can combat a deck that doesn't care about discard, gets more card advantage than any deck in the format, and can just kill when it hits five mana. However, I did get to see the most pathetic poo poo - someone wrote a script to wait nine seconds before passing priority, just to waste a Drake opponent's time. The kicker? This idiot isn't even doing this to try to win something - this script was created because the author was angry at losing to the Drake decks in the tournament practice room.

Good lord Reddit is a hive of scum and villainy and gently caress Wizards for using it as MTG's official forum.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

5C control with spells like Cruel Ultimatum and Cryptic were powerful and interesting to play, but they were just raw power. The kind of stuff I miss a lot is stuff like Astral Slide, which was insanely fun and cool and unique, Or decks where individually none of the pieces were spectacular but together were just great like U/B Madness where suddenly Aquomeba was a real threat and Circular Logic was strong permission. Just because a deck finishes with a combo isn't necessarily broken and un-fun either. Playing with Buried Alive, Stitch Together and Entomb was powerful and fun, but you were bringing back Phantom Nishoba, it was relatively tame compared to the kind of value creatures you can throw down these days. You had stuff like Upheaval Tog, for sure, but that deck was still a blast to play with and against, and just as often you'd have a deck that hinges on Fires of Yavimaya.

It's also really hard to explain how differently the game played out when the best creatures around was like, Flametongue Kavu. The pace was very different, and as much as playing around UU hard counter was harder when the impact of a single creature was a lot lower it created environments were say, Plowunder was absolutely back-breaking.

You're never going to see that again, a deck of individually bad cards that together are amazing like UG Madness, or something as crazy different as Astral Slide. Right now the best decks are always a collection of THE BEST BODIES or like right now the best bodies, or the best way to get the bodies on the field like CoCo. It's better for coverage, random casual players prefer it, and its just going to be that way forever and as someone who got to cast Tinker for Phyrexian Processor it's just so boring. The game played a lot differently then, you rarely had the thing you have today where a player has lost, but a clogged up and miserable board means were going to have to wait seven turns before its over. I'll take a Necro Combo Summer, or an Urza's clusterfuck any day over the endless slog of midrange deck crashing into midrange decks.

I'm definitely in the minority though, so I'd just settle for like a bone thrown my way now and again, let me lose a million FNM matches with a bad Astral Slide 2.0, id prefer that to winning forever with some Gxx list in perpetuity.

I think you're looking for deck synergy more so than powerful spells. Like other posters have pointed out, entombing and reanimating creatures isn't that far removed from building a deck around Collected Company picking two creatures off the top.

I don't play competitive anymore, but just from the outside looking in, you do have the avenues to make synergistic decks of you don't care about them being bad. Nothing is stopping you from jamming a Madness or Delirium deck. You even have build around enchantments like that one red enchantment that does damage based on casting a card with the same name as a card in the graveyard. Pyromancer googles were used in a few decks if I recall. Back when I could play, there was access to Burning Vengeance and Pyromancer Ascension, and maybe even Blood chief Ascension plus mind crank? There was even that cool Sun Titan Phantasmal Image deck in an Esper shell.

The decks are probably still there if you want to build them. I think you just want them to be the best again. That probably won't happen because Wizards wants to push mythics to sell packs. It's hard to have pure synergistic build around me cards that is desirable to everyone.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Gitrog Monster is muscular enough to still squeeze some standard play in even with GWx around.

They haven't made a mythic this synergistic build-around-me in a long time.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
How many cards is 1 pound of cards?

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How many cards is 1 pound of cards?

260, give or take a few: http://www.quietspeculation.com/2010/09/dream-cache-magic-card-measurements/

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

she had a creepy grin!!! thats apparently all it takes

mtg writing at its finest

I mean she also interacted with emrakul, which can have that effect.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm holding out hope history repeats.

No, we're talking about the cool planeswalkers, not the Jacetice League.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

LED is now 250$ enjoy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skyl3lazer posted:

LED is now 250$ enjoy

Sweet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skyl3lazer posted:

LED is now 250$ enjoy

Got my playset for 10 bucks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Skyl3lazer posted:

LED is now 250$ enjoy

mtgfinance really is a good time.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

And it's time to sell dredge

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

mtgfinance really is a good time.

Mtgfinance#

Spec on cards to buy more magic cards. This then makes cards more expensive which requires me to spec more cards which.....

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hm, I said I would sell one of the big time legacy cards for something if it jumped up loads due to EMA/mtgfinance, but now I forgot what it was I was gonna buy. I could buy like 3 really good compressors I guess?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I traded in a bunch of cards to buy mine for 70 each 2 years after I started on the basis that it was ok because they would never get reprinted again.

Felt bad-ish then, less so now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Preemptive "You see, the secondary market is good because you guys are rejoicing about your cardboard's worth"

>doesn't notice the people leaving legacy because their decks are worth a bunch.
>legacy's the best format guys! Wanna play? Guys??

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

DoctorOozy posted:

Magicmadhouse weekend of magic!

Anyone joining me in classy Blackpool?

Didn't qualify for the finals so going to play the 4k tomorrow then get drunk when I scrub out.

So this ended up being a bit of a washout. I started the day feeling a bit sorry for Magicmadhouse for the attendenc being so low.

I then found out because the attendance was so low at the 4k event they put a bunch of staff members in it so they didn't have to payout as much in prizes.

It looked like the employees had been told weather to ID or not for top 8 based on what worked out best for the shop.

Shadey stuff, but I at least came out a Bob and a Jitte better off from the prizewall after playing shite all day.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DoctorOozy posted:

So this ended up being a bit of a washout. I started the day feeling a bit sorry for Magicmadhouse for the attendenc being so low.

I then found out because the attendance was so low at the 4k event they put a bunch of staff members in it so they didn't have to payout as much in prizes.

It looked like the employees had been told weather to ID or not for top 8 based on what worked out best for the shop.

Shadey stuff, but I at least came out a Bob and a Jitte better off from the prizewall after playing shite all day.

We need to make this an illuminati-style meme about big-name SCG employees (writers like brad and todd) attending SCG events to avoid payouts.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chill la Chill posted:

Hm, I said I would sell one of the big time legacy cards for something if it jumped up loads due to EMA/mtgfinance, but now I forgot what it was I was gonna buy. I could buy like 3 really good compressors I guess?
Buy some blue chip stocks, use the dividends to buy more magic cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yawgmoth posted:

Buy some blue chip stocks, use the dividends to buy more magic cards.

So.....Games Workshop stocks? :mrgw:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Mine was 140... Still feel good about it.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Skyl3lazer posted:

LED is now 250$ enjoy

The Internet is telling me this is the same guy that did the moat buyout. He apparently makes videos as he is going into the buyouts and posts them online after he has bought out a bunch to get everyone else in on it. Apparently he isn't hoarding, just buying price adjusts and then he sells again and makes a sizable margin on each card. gently caress mtgfinance.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dehtraen posted:

The Internet is telling me this is the same guy that did the moat buyout. He apparently makes videos as he is going into the buyouts and posts them online after he has bought out a bunch to get everyone else in on it. Apparently he isn't hoarding, just buying price adjusts and then he sells again and makes a sizable margin on each card. gently caress mtgfinance.

basically a pyramid scheme, lol

the internet will never run out of rubes willing to throw money at a dubious "investment" that someone else tells them is a good idea

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dehtraen posted:

I kinda figured it was him. He said something about doing another reserved list buyout on Facebook the other day. He's the kind of doughy idiot that makes me hope WotC suddenly gets rid of the reserved list and reprints every single card on it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Please, no fat shaming

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It made me laugh how quickly people will buy into whatever format exists just to make SCG money turning bulk into cash; Tiny Leaders, Paper Pauper tournaments, etc.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

It made me laugh how quickly people will buy into whatever format exists just to make SCG money turning bulk into cash; Tiny Leaders, Paper Pauper tournaments, etc.

Paper pauper is good because pauper is a fun format and playing with people is better than using mtgo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Tiny Leaders was a legit cool format. Just because the guys who created it were dickweeds who were more in it for the prestige and subsequently screwed themselves...

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Tiny Leaders was a legit cool format. Just because the guys who created it were dickweeds who were more in it for the prestige and subsequently screwed themselves...

what happened? i was out of the game when tiny leaders was a thing.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

i have not purchased a single card for my paper pauper decks, other than basic lands. it's also the best constructed format

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Reprint.

Also Tamiyo's full art and some other Tamiyo art

Elyv fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 2, 2016

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Elblanco posted:

Tiny leaders is awesome. Ignore the haters, build a deck and play me.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

hmmmmm

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

no, no, the messaging is all wrong

green is supposed to be getting blue's old effects, not the other way around !!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elblanco posted:

I remember hearing that the Tiny Leaders guys put some kind of trademark on their format and that basically put a block on anyone using it because no one at SCG or WotC cared enough to deal with it legally. "Oh, you made it so we'd need to pay our lawyers to work with you to get it on Magic Online? No thanks, we'd rather just ignore it, sorry you all lined up and shot yourselves in the foot."

It came around a time where people were getting fatigued by #mtgfinance, and seeing cards for Tiny Leaders immediately spike in price out of their reach just as they wanted to get them turned people off the format before they even got their foot in the door.

The format was solved almost right away, and the creators were much too slow to put anything on the ban list to fix it. It looks like the site for it is still being updated, but Geist of St. Traft and True-Name Nemesis are still unbanned.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

We had tiny leaders for about a month at our store. I don't think I dropped a match with clique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I like how even the mtgfinance rank and file are against their newly crowned shitlord. The irony is lost in them.

• Locked thread