Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

where was it stated that the person Mira killed was Eric's mom?

Also I still don't understand Sean's ability to shift. He's a robot?

It's not explicitly stated, but it's implied because Eric's mom died somehow too and everyone's connected

Sean is not a robot - he's a program on a quantum computer. The quantum computer operates outside the normal universe and thus is connected to all timelines, so everything stored on it, like Sean's consciousness, can effectively shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

where was it stated that the person Mira killed was Eric's mom?

Eric's mom was the Literal Nicest Person Ever. As was the woman Mira killed. There's no reason for that woman to NOT be his mom.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mira being the one who killed Eric's mom becomes more explicit when both her and Eric said the same thing as they died, especially the smiling part since Eric constantly would yammer on about how his mom would say that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Mira being the one who killed Eric's mom becomes more explicit when both her and Eric said the same thing as they died, especially the smiling part since Eric constantly would yammer on about how his mom would say that.

Oh you know I didn't even put that together, but yeah that makes sense

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The fact that Mira's first victim was Eric's mother is apparent when you get the crossbow ending. Which is like the first thing I got in my game.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Also Mira was going on in the crossbow ending about no heart was like the one of the person she killed first... until she killed Eric. So there's another connection.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So Eric married his mom's murderer that indirectly leads to his brother's death? what

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I actually liked Eric alot, if only because he represented an unstable person really well. I see people complaining that he goes from Nicest Guy You'll Ever Meet // Twisted loving Psychopath on a dime, but...That's kinda how actual people with severe mental instability act.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It kinda gets overshadowed because so many of the timelines involve him pointing a gun at someone, but in the one where they kill the other two teams with the acid, he really breaks down

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

So Eric married his mom's murderer that indirectly leads to his brother's death? what

it is a bit bizarre how forgiving he is

I'd almost say he still doesn't know, but they have all their memories at the end of the game

so he married a girl who murdered his mom and also him in several timelines

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
eric should have adopted sean and lived a good life. he's a good friend

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

He's totally obsessed with Mira throughout the entire game. As mentioned, he's had something of an inferiority complex ever since his mom/brother died... his forgiveness doesn't strike me as particularly healthy. Oh well, nothing that can't be solved by a tiny boy robot kool-aiding down a prison wall and taking you back in time to fix the past! :v:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

voltcatfish posted:

I'm unsure why people think Delta was making every choice, but there's no way he's not responsible for the "No it wasn't me! I swear!" choices.

I'm not sure that's true. It could easily have been us as '?' doing it.

We know that Delta was dead in a lot of the timelines, so he can't have been controlling the choices there. Given that we perceive the timelines where Delta's alive and the ones where he's dead in exactly the same way, I'm inclined to think that we're seeing though Diana, Carlos and Delta's eyes in their respective fragments, which implies to me that we must be '?'. Delta just doesn't have access to some of things that we see, as he can't SHIFT, whereas, if we're some randomly moving 4-dimensional being, it explains both the choice mechanics and the fact that we experience everything out of order. Plus it explains why we externally observe what happens in some fragments after the viewpoint character has SHIFTed out/before they've SHIFTed in.

Regy Rusty posted:

It kinda gets overshadowed because so many of the timelines involve him pointing a gun at someone, but in the one where they kill the other two teams with the acid, he really breaks down

Yeah, I pitied Eric, which I think is what they probably wanted us to get out the character, so job done.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oh well, nothing that can't be solved by a tiny boy robot kool-aiding down a prison wall and taking you back in time to fix the past! :v:

i'm glad sean is going to rewrite the entire series's timeline so everybody is happy

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 2, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I'm not sure that's true. It could easily have been us as '?' doing it.

We know that Delta was dead in a lot of the timelines, so he can't have been controlling the choices there. Given that we perceive the timelines where Delta's alive and the ones where he's dead in exactly the same way, I'm inclined to think that we're seeing though Diana, Carlos and Delta's eyes in their respective fragments, which implies to me that we must be '?'. Delta just doesn't have access to some of things that we see, as he can't SHIFT, whereas, if we're some randomly moving 4-dimensional being, it explains both the choice mechanics and the fact that we experience everything out of order. Plus it explains why we externally observe what happens in some fragments after the viewpoint character has SHIFTed out/before they've SHIFTed in.

Yeah this is basically what I think. And specifically where we make the decisions where we kill a lot of people and the characters are like "It wasn't me!" it's out of curiosity/wanting to get the information from those timelines to use elsewhere.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

voltcatfish posted:

i'm glad sean is going to rewrite the entire game's timeline so everybody is happy

Almost a third of the characters in this game are genuinely good people with no real flaws, which is insane for a Zero Escape game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Half of c-team rooms are basically "gently caress you, you all die now".

I really wanted to see what would happen if Eric was forced to kill Mira.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i hope that in the ZE4 uchikoshi clearly wants to make now, luna shows up and gets to hang with her cool nephew sean

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I promise you, once I am a rich billionaire, I will give money to him.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

But why was Eric in the experiment to begin with? I can see a purpose for everyone else (even if Mira's is a little shakey), but not him.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I beat it, and yeah I felt that Q/Delta should have been foreshadowed a little better. I did notice a number of the inconsistencies between them talking about Sean vs. them talking about the old man sitting in the corner, or people knowing who Q is but being confused when they first see Sean, but I kinda pushed it to the side since I didn't know there was Literally Another Person In The Room Right Now.

The worst puzzle rooms for me were the Healing Room and the Locker Room, Healing room because of the hidden-object mechanic, locker room because it took me longer than it should have to find the password for the screwdriver.
I solved the Pod Room's dart-like puzzle on accident, but I did discover a system for the outer ring where you bounced back and forth between the two red numbers on the side with the blue 25 on it, and it would slowly subtract 1 on each lap when you got to the other blue number. when you get to 25 on the other blue number you just break the pattern and go back to the 25 and you are done.
The Reactor Room's Laser puzzle I kinda sloved by working backwards, I connected the blue and green lasers on their own, then connected the red laser, then I noticed I needed to have the yellow laser enter blue/green's territory in order to solve it and in fumbling around with the blue/green side I solved it

I had no problem with any of the Resident Evil 4 Inventory puzzles, the only one that did take longer than a couple minutes was the Heart puzzle in the Rec Room. Starting with the largest pieces is really the best strategy.

My favorite parts were Carlos's Bogus Journey and the Post-Healing Room History Eraser Button.

when Delta first said "MIND  HACKING" this was the first thing that popped into my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yLHsDVaW-Q

Cake Attack posted:

man i don't remember anything about what happened in remember11

the agent-y looking dude that gets killed and the male protaginist's body do a body swap sometime between the "relay Time/Location" and the Time/Location of the facility, so the Blink Winkle possessing the male protaginist's body has some of the memories of the consciousness he kicked out of that body in the beginning of the game, but that was not his original body. This is why the girlfriend does not recognize him in the final scene.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

fadam posted:

But why was Eric in the experiment to begin with? I can see a purpose for everyone else (even if Mira's is a little shakey), but not him.

Introducing an element of danger so that people could SHIFT.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, that part bugged the hell out of me. In no way do those two have anything resembling a functional relationship.

Also, someone I know came up with the creepy theory that Mira goes back in time too far and becomes Eric's mother, which is why she forgives Mira for killing her and says not to do it again.

I'm just going to ignore that theory because :yikes:.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I feel like it's supposed to be a joke like Eric marrying Mira because he's so crazy and Sean breaking Mira out of jail for more time travel shenanigans but it's just a bit too weird given Eric's tragic past.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Uchikoshi also said Dio would be ZTD (although "not as we know him") but I guess that went nowhere either. That kind of makes it sound like maybe Delta was supposed to be Left or something at some point?

I'm thinking that maybe Sean is Left, and after Delta died Free the Soul started to think Sean was his brother or something and cloned the hell out of him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Collecting my thoughts after I beat the game now. It kind of reminds me of MGS V in a lot of ways. In VLR, when the credits rolled I knew the game wasn't over, that there was hidden epilogues and I was right. In ZTD when the credits rolled for the true ending, I also thought it couldn't possibly be over. Imagine my surprise that no, that really was it. There was no more to the game. Although my thoughts on ZTD are much more positive overall than MGS V's, the lack of closure for K and Blick Winkel and the missed opportunities for D-Team kind of soured me on the experience a little. VLR blew my mind and despite its problems I still adore that game. ZTD blew my mind also but that quickly shifted into being a bit more negative, critical and somewhat disappointed than I thought I'd be. It's still a great game, but after VLR I just kind of expected something... more.

And yeah, count me in for someone who feels kind of bad for Eric. He's an rear end in a top hat who desperately needs therapy but to get slightly E/N a bit, when I was younger I used to be just as needy and somewhat unstable and Eric is like a reflection of myself of a possible future where I didn't get help back then, so I can empathize with him. Carlos was great too, as the typical American hero nice guy who just wants to do the right thing by everyone and then he progressively makes things worse by shifting into timelines worse than the one he just came from. That's probably the highlight of the game for me.

Is it just me or does there seem to be way less puzzle rooms in ZTD compared to both 999 and VLR? I haven't counted the exact number of puzzle rooms, but it definitely felt there should have been at least two or three more spread throughout the game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

It's a bit of a weak link, but I would go with "it was a package deal".

Eric clings mercilessly to Mira, and Zero brought her in specifically because she was a serial killer, and as to serve as the piranha in the tank.

It's not really ever stated, but I don't think it's hard to assume that Eric was brought on because Mira signed up and he wouldn't let her go by herself for 6 months. They did sign up for the test together.

Eric was also directly affected by the snail and Mira had been waiting for a while to kill him and get his heart so it was pretty much a win win for Zero/Mira.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

it also makes a lot more sense when you realize that what draws Eric to Mira is that he reminds her of his mother a lot, because Mira literally stole her smiling expression from Eric's mom.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 2, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
in all honesty, has anyone done a tally and seen how exactly many people Team C killed starting after the reactor puzzle and until the VLR ending?

bonus points if you filter out how many times they shifted/killed equally doomed, murder-culpable, or actual murderers along the way

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I wonder how incomprehensible this game would be if someone who hadn't played 999 or VLR picked it up. I mean it starts out pretty crazy from the get-go, right? I feel like the only reason I understand half of what's going on is the other games.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I wonder how incomprehensible this game would be if someone who hadn't played 999 or VLR picked it up. I mean it starts out pretty crazy from the get-go, right? I feel like the only reason I understand half of what's going on is the other games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFemhNS4We8&t=1560s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFemhNS4We8&t=3582s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFemhNS4We8&t=3848s

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 2, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is it just me or does there seem to be way less puzzle rooms in ZTD compared to both 999 and VLR? I haven't counted the exact number of puzzle rooms, but it definitely felt there should have been at least two or three more spread throughout the game.

I think there are 13? It's just this game didn't have one of those big smorgasbord rooms like VLR did. Maybe.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also I genuinely think all of the puzzle rooms in ZTD were pretty easy, and probably the easiest in the series.

The only room I had trouble with was the Transporter Room and to be honest I have no idea how to properly solve the ALIEN LANGUAGE conversion puzzle legitly because I just cheated it 2 hours in

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

dmboogie posted:

I mean, first of all, doing that would wipe Phi out of existence entirely. Not only that, it would do nothing to affect the terrorist that wipes humanity out, while also getting rid of the versions of everyone who are probably the most qualified to deal with said terrorist.

Nah, it couldn't wipe Phi or Delta out of existence because they still existed in timelines where they weren't concieved. Since they were injected into the timeline at an earlier point, nothing can be done to prevent that short of destroying the transporter before they were received in 1904.

If somebody shifted back and moved the snail to the other path, it'd just create a timeline where everybody except Mira and Phi live a happy life. Phi would presumably still be caught up in Delta's bullshit since he'd still create Free the Soul and the original nonary games still happened. Ironically, I think Mira is the only one who could have prevented it via shifting, since she seems to be the oldest person there.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I think there are 13? It's just this game didn't have one of those big smorgasbord rooms like VLR did. Maybe.

Yeah, ZTD has 13 while 999 and VLR both had 16 overall. That's probably why I feel as though there should have been two or three more in the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Huh. I thought it was 13 in every game. Shows what I know.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Hop 1 - Carlos jumps after picking Ally and getting killed by Junpei - Carlos AB-Game Ally, 2 members of D Team die by muscle relaxant
Hop 2 - Carlos jumps after picking Betray and getting killed by Akane - Carlos AB-Game Betray is killed by this branch's Akane, Junpei, Akane, and a member of Team D are killed by muscle relaxant.
Hop 3 - Team C jumps to Rec Room where they lost -Rec Room losing decision Team C & Phi are blown up in the reactor explosion.
Hop 4 - Team C jumps to Lounge post-surviving Rec Room - Rec Room All 1s gets killed by the game of chance they escaped, except for Akane, who leaves the body for some other reason or dies. Not sure.
Hop 5 - Carlos jumps to Team Q dead branch, where Akane was killed by that branch's Carlos and he lost a hand. Technically nobody. Handless Carlos doesn't die in the All 1s timeline.
Hop 6 - Carlos jumps back to All 1s timeline. Handless Carlos from D-Team branch is returned to his timeline and is gunned down by Eric
Hop 7 - Junpei & Akane are sent to VLR branch. Carlos jumps to the Team C Yellow Button branch. Yellow Button Carlos dies (not counting pre-transport Akane or Junpei, since it was evil Sean who destroyed the console)
Hop 8 - No one, since VLR took place in the Team C dead branch and all Team C members are alive again

does that sound about right

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

This post in the main thread is also something I agree with:

Mordiceius posted:

I think what makes this game suffer (so far at least) is that there's no interplay between the three teams. I want to see Sigma and Junpei in the same room or Phi and Mira, etc etc. In 999 and VLR, we had plenty of interplay moments where all the team members are together. This doesn't have it, and so far I feel that it suffers for it. Maybe it'll happen eventually, but i'm almost 15 hours in without that and I miss it.

I felt the tension in ZTD still never really hit VLR or 999 levels because they weren't mostly working as one group. I mean, the game itself kind of prevented it, but I'm not sure if it was the best choice.

I'm actually surprised how little the other teams interact in the final product, even via Gab.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
who doesn't know what's the morphogenetic field is in this day and age?

Also, I expected a lot more of the decisions to be "if you press this, you can save a member of your team but you kill a member of the other teams". Most of the decisions are underwhelming to be honest.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Only two parts of the game really tripped me up:

* Q / Sean having to answer Eric's question. I just assumed that I would gain that knowledge in another timeline and it didn't occur to me to intentionally lose / answer "I DONT KNOW"
* In the incinerator puzzle room, I didn't realize that clicking on the window literally changed the viewpoint to Phi, and you could look around from Phi's perspective. I had to google a guide and saw it said "as Phi, do XYZ" and was like wait whaa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

voltcatfish posted:

This post in the main thread is also something I agree with:

I felt the tension in ZTD still never really hit VLR or 999 levels because they weren't mostly working as one group. I mean, the game itself kind of prevented it, but I'm not sure if it was the best choice.

I'm actually surprised how little the other teams interact in the final product, even via Gab.

There's some truth to that, but I'm in favor of not going to the well too often. We had 2 games of Machiavellian scheming and manipulation by the participants. Breaking up the sequence is good at disrupting monotony.

*- Exception being that someone is probably going to die horribly if the room solution involves a weapon

• Locked thread