Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Back Hack posted:

California would have a high violent crime and homicide rate regardless of if Americans as a whole didn't have access to firearms or vice versa.

I'd be willing to test that hypothesis. Even if you are right, I'd still expect a significant decrease in the death toll.

I know plenty of people who have bounced back from stab wounds and only one person who died. I have less experience with guns -- I've only been shot at once and I don't know anyone who has actually had a bullet connect (not counting suicides).

But looking at the data and talking to some buddies who work in ER, guns represent a different level of damage. Even if you survive it, you are likely to have long term consequences beyond a gnarly scar and some weeks out-of commission.

What's the upside of having the current effectively unlimited gun free for all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

I'd be willing to test that hypothesis. Even if you are right, I'd still expect a significant decrease in the death toll.

I know plenty of people who have bounced back from stab wounds and only one person who died. I have less experience with guns -- I've only been shot at once and I don't know anyone who has actually had a bullet connect (not counting suicides).

But looking at the data and talking to some buddies who work in ER, guns represent a different level of damage. Even if you survive it, you are likely to have long term consequences beyond a gnarly scar and some weeks out-of commission.

What's the upside of having the current effectively unlimited gun free for all?

I can't imagine a worse and more irritating ally to have on the gun control team. The epic antifa knife krav maga culture agent.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm sorry I'm not your John Wayne fantasy.

gently caress me daddy.

I'd like to decrease crime through policies designed around social and economic justice.

But failing that, I'll take fewer deaths.

Violence can be good, death rarely is. It's not that hard to understand.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space-Bird posted:

I think the most confusing thing for me are the people who come out of the woodwork howling for fascist blood. I'm not really for kicking skulls into the ground with boots, and so the lines begin to blur quickly for me, as a normie outsider. There's something uncomfortable about people running around going "we gotta be the fascists to beat the fascists"

I can't even imagine a real human being identifying as a KKK Nazi Fascist, who wasn't clearly just looking for a fight, and I guess I thought most hate groups weren't really protected under free speech to begin with, so why even bother with these people?

All that being said, I understand we live in an era of increasing radicalization, and we have what many claim to be an outright fascist running for president... :(

They think my people, and countless other groups of people are subhuman and would gladly go back to lynchings if they could get away with it. They openly preach the former. When fascists spread their word unhindered it creates a local environment where anyone who isn't straight and white is unsafe; because the general populace eats up anything blaming their problems on people who aren't like them.

Never stop stomping them into the ground.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Shut up shbobdb.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You've got me all wrong. If you rant about how much all of California sucks (except for the place you live and the beach, of course) then you're probably one of those people I mentioned. I myself have lived in Los Angeles and OC, and I'm aware of the trade-offs.

Edit: I forgot that I know another guy who sometimes posts on here who moved to Sacramento, he seems to be doing well for himself. Not really strictly another state but different enough...

I moved to Sacramento for a year. Then I moved back to the Bay Area after the glue in my sneakers melted in the trunk of my car on one of the multiple 105+ days in the summer.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Which is why it's funny that they decided to classify guns modified to comply with the law as assault weapons too. As a reminder, this was the level of debate and knowledge involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFelpOX0sJg

This is nothing new. Last time the AWB was trying to be renewed I recall a legislator being asked to identify a barrel shroud, one of the characteristics she wanted to see banned in assault rivals. When pressed it was obvious she had no idea what a barrel shroud was, and vaguely described a folding stock.

Edit: Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rGpykAX1fo

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 2, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fits my needs posted:

I moved to Sacramento for a year. Then I moved back to the Bay Area after the glue in my sneakers melted in the trunk of my car on one of the multiple 105+ days in the summer.

lol what a baby

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol people itt

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

fits my needs posted:

Yeah the summer here is horrific and lasts from April to November. I grew up in Monterey so anything over 72 degrees is inhuman and grotesque to me although the locals here hilariously have full parkas on when it gets under 68 degrees. (white ryce is going to yell at me again). At least it's not Texas muggy and hot all night long though so there's that.

Once I get my garage pimped out, insulated and air conditioned I will no longer be exposed to the horrible 150 degree air getting more beers from the garage fridge. At least it's cheap here and I can get to Truckee in an hour or SF in under 2 (in a car late at night).

The Amtrak line between Sac and SJ is so loving bad you get seasick riding it and it almost catches air in several places and still runs at basically 1865 speeds. That would be somewhat acceptable if it was cheap but it's not and Amtrak even gutted their rewards program (where you'd get a few free rides each year) to almost nothing so it's $60 r/t if you don't go all the time.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 2, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Dead Reckoning posted:

But California already has mandatory handgun registration, yet Oakland and Vallejo still manage to be in the top 25% of counties for homicides:shrug:
That is like saying "My town doesn't sell liquor on Saturdays but somehow people are still drinking and driving"!? People in Oakland and Vallejo can easily get handguns a number of other ways, including buying 38 Special revolvers that were made in the 1970s for a hundred bucks on the streets. A few states with moderately tougher gun control laws are not going to do anything in 21st century America, especially when it comes to gang violence.

Back Hack posted:

California would have a high violent crime and homicide rate regardless of if Americans as a whole didn't have access to firearms or vice versa.
I feel like we always end up back at this argument, and I will counter it for the Nth time. Guns are a uniquely portable and effective killing tool which allows the user to kill multiple people in ways not otherwise available. Waving a magic wand that totally banned all guns and disappeared all of the guns in America would 100% absolutely lower not only the murder rate, but the suicide rate and remove the hundreds of people who are accidentally killed by guns each year. Cars, knives, bombs, clubs, poison, etc all fall short of the mighty handgun when it comes to death, both purposeful and accidental.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yeah the summer here is horrific and lasts from April to November. I grew up in Monterey so anything over 72 degrees is inhuman and grotesque to me although the locals here hilariously have full parkas on when it gets under 68 degrees. (white ryce is going to yell at me again). At least it's not Texas muggy and hot all night long though so there's that.

Once I get my garage pimped out, insulated and air conditioned I will no longer be exposed to the horrible 150 degree air getting more beers from the garage fridge. At least it's cheap here and I can get to Truckee in an hour or SF in under 2 (in a car late at night).

The Amtrak line between Sac and SJ is so loving bad you get seasick riding it and it almost catches air in several places and still runs at basically 1865 speeds. That would be somewhat acceptable if it was cheap but it's not and Amtrak even gutted their rewards program (where you'd get a few free rides each year) to almost nothing so it's $60 r/t if you don't go all the time.
You will learn to love 95 degrees. Its a dry heat after all!

cheese fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 2, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

The 3+ express lane on the right side of the Bay Bridge is pretty much 100% honor system. I've easily taken it over 100 times and only gotten a ticket once. In terms of value for my time, the extra $2/crossing is easily worth it.

Pay your loving tolls, you giant rear end in a top hat. What, you think you're special so you shouldn't have to pay?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My Fastrak sometimes whiffs on various bridges too but they always grab my license plate scan and deduct my account accordingly.

cheese posted:

You will learn to love 95 degrees. Its a dry heat after all!

Sac owns for golf - one of the primary reasons I moved out here. I do not miss 6 hr rounds at Sunnyvale Muni at all. I do miss Harding Park for SF local rates though. :smith:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

Pay your loving tolls, you giant rear end in a top hat. What, you think you're special so you shouldn't have to pay?

Didn't you hear, he is the antifa.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

FCKGW posted:

Depends on the freeway. Some of the ones in LA have a switch in the transponder

This pisses me off to no end. It's a loving load of poo poo. They took over the existing (taxpayer-built!) 110 HOV lanes and tried to claim HOV is still free, but you have to obtain and carry a transponder and pay the monthly "account maintenance fee" in order to use those "free" lanes.

I'm not a fan of tolls to begin with (bridges excepted) but this is above and beyond lame.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A way in which guns are different from knives, baseball bats, and frozen legs of lamb is that they kill at a distance. If (and it's not going to happen) you removed guns from the hands of private citizens, drive-bys would vanish. So would mass shootings. So would any crime where the attacker couldn't run the victim down. So would murders by children playing with guns -- ask the ER how many toddlers they see who've stabbed somebody or themselves.

"People are going to die regardless" is true, but some weapons make it easier to kill than others.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

ask the ER how many toddlers they see who've stabbed somebody or themselves.

Keeping toddlers away from knives is like toddler 101.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A way in which guns are different from knives, baseball bats, and frozen legs of lamb is that they kill at a distance. If (and it's not going to happen) you removed guns from the hands of private citizens, drive-bys would vanish. So would mass shootings.

Statistically those don't really exist either though. Like the biggest benefit by far is preventing depressed people from killing themselves, but that's not focused on for some reason.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Can we move the facism/anti-facism discussion to another thread? It's not California specific and it's pretty drat boring.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Choadmaster posted:

This pisses me off to no end. It's a loving load of poo poo. They took over the existing (taxpayer-built!) 110 HOV lanes and tried to claim HOV is still free, but you have to obtain and carry a transponder and pay the monthly "account maintenance fee" in order to use those "free" lanes.

I'm not a fan of tolls to begin with (bridges excepted) but this is above and beyond lame.
Yeah. Im all for dissolving the agencies running these scams and liquidating their existence back into the tax pool. Soylent Parasite.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

The 91 express was a very successful experiment so now they're coming to every single freeway in SoCal. I-15 through the IE doesn't have HOV lanes and is getting very crowed due to tremendous growth in the area so when they started planning on widening the freeway they decided to add 1 HOV and 1 general purpose lane.

They walked back the HOV lane a year later and now just plan on adding 2 toll roads and no general purpose or HOV lanes instead lol

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Leperflesh posted:

I pay my tolls, it's just that . . .

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bip Roberts posted:

Keeping toddlers away from knives is like toddler 101.

I would have said the same about guns, yet here we are.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

If you actually sell your SoCal place and move to another state the odds are you that you won't like it. Do you know how many people I've met that have a) tried to live in OC and realized it's not worth it and b) tried to live in another state and realized it's way, way worse? A lot. This isn't some new thing. I've had literally over a dozen friends move to the South, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, Midwest...with the exception of a couple in Portland and a friend in Colorado (who had family there) they've all come back. And guess what? Those places aren't that much cheaper.

Did you just say that if people move out of anywhere in California to literally anywhere else that's not California that they will come back desperately seeking the worst corner of California, because that's better than the best of anywhere else?

This is like the mother in Arrested Development. "I'd rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona." gently caress that, that's why Californians are hated practically everywhere.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...But I would rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona? :shrug:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

"I'd rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona." gently caress that, that's why Californians are hated practically everywhere.

:qq: someone likes a thing more than another thing :qq:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you think you can't find anywhere else in the country that's nicer than the slummy parts south of metro Oakland or similar places in SoCal, you may need to get yourself to a Doctor and be checked out for excessive :smug:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

If you think you can't find anywhere else in the country that's nicer than the slummy parts south of metro Oakland or similar places in SoCal, you may need to get yourself to a Doctor and be checked out for excessive :smug:

What is metro Oakland anyway? Richmond?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

You're ignorant as gently caress to tell someone to move out of SoCal to another part of the country. The rest of it is even worse. The Inland Empire is better than 95% of the country and is priced as such. The problem is, Bay Area and LA peeps pay 4x the price of even the most opulent Corona bungalow for their little brik-a-brak parcel and have to rationalize that everywhere else is a garbage pile to avoid confronting the reality that they are being cornholed.

If you actually sell your SoCal place and move to another state the odds are you that you won't like it. Do you know how many people I've met that have a) tried to live in OC and realized it's not worth it and b) tried to live in another state and realized it's way, way worse? A lot. This isn't some new thing. I've had literally over a dozen friends move to the South, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, Midwest...with the exception of a couple in Portland and a friend in Colorado (who had family there) they've all come back. And guess what? Those places aren't that much cheaper.
I mean, there are certainly things in SoCal that are difficult to find in other places, and I can understand not being able to adapt to another region if you have lived somewhere your entire life, but its silly to act like SoCal is a golden land which has no equal anywhere in our huge, vast nation. I would bet that a significant part of the reason your friends moved back is simply local family/friends. I can think of a dozen places I'd rather live outside of CA, but we have way too many family members (parents and siblings for both of us) and close friends to really leave CA now. If we didn't, I'd be on the plane to Boulder CO 5 minutes ago.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

cheese posted:

I mean, there are certainly things in SoCal that are difficult to find in other places, and I can understand not being able to adapt to another region if you have lived somewhere your entire life, but its silly to act like SoCal is a golden land which has no equal anywhere in our huge, vast nation. I would bet that a significant part of the reason your friends moved back is simply local family/friends. I can think of a dozen places I'd rather live outside of CA, but we have way too many family members (parents and siblings for both of us) and close friends to really leave CA now. If we didn't, I'd be on the plane to Boulder CO 5 minutes ago.

I saw the Boulder, CA before you edited. Your subconscious betrays you.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Boot and Rally posted:

I saw the Boulder, CA before you edited. Your subconscious betrays you.
Haha, its a hard habit to break.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

What is metro Oakland anyway? Richmond?

metro Oakland = the SF Bay Area. "Metro Oakland" is kind of a weird thing to say.

Craptacular! posted:

Did you know that california is my favorite state? :smug:

And what slummy parts south of Oakland are you talking about? San Leandro? Hayward? Fremont? San Jose? Gilroy? The horror! :lol:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
as someone born and raised in fremont, who got a front seat to watch white flight as white folks who didn't want to live next to minorities, even quote unquote The Good Ones™ (read: asians), moved out of my neighborhood, i can't imagine living in most of the country partly because most of my family is here and most of the country is whitebread as hell

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

as someone born and raised in fremont, who got a front seat to watch white flight as white folks who didn't want to live next to minorities, even quote unquote The Good Ones™ (read: asians), moved out of my neighborhood, i can't imagine living in most of the country partly because most of my family is here and most of the country is whitebread as hell

You're obviously quite salty about it, considering you mention it in every single one of your posts. The ironic thing is that the Bay Area is majority minority, so you basically aren't a minority in the same way as, say, the Vietnamese in south Texas.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Family Values posted:

You're obviously quite salty about it, considering you mention it in every single one of your posts. The ironic thing is that the Bay Area is majority minority, so you basically aren't a minority in the same way as, say, the Vietnamese in south Texas.

you seem a lot more mad about me talking about white flight from fremont and places like fremont lol

like what are you trying to say, anyway

"well since there's just barely more of everyone else than non-hispanic whites on their own, racism is over and you can't complain :smug:"?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Huh. Every time I visit Fremont (Half Price Books and Regan's Nursery FTW) I am struck by how beautiful it is. Those hills, *drat*.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Nope, complain all you want, and racism isn't over but you're not a great spokesperson for the oppressed just based on "my town only has 32% white people it's just like East St. Louis fight the power :qq:"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Family Values posted:

Nope, complain all you want, and racism isn't over but you're not a great spokesperson for the oppressed just based on "my town only has 32% white people it's just like East St. Louis fight the power :qq:"

white flight is still white flight, be it from asians or blacks or whomever. sorry that talking about it makes you uncomfortable :(

(also the city is actually 25% non-hispanic white, and i went to an elementary school that was majority white when i was born but is currently 90%+ asian, and the one white family on my block with schoolage children homeschool their kids rather than send them to this elementary school)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. Every time I visit Fremont (Half Price Books and Regan's Nursery FTW) I am struck by how beautiful it is. Those hills, *drat*.

drive through niles canyon on some weekend, that's a drat beautiful drive

you won't want to be anywhere near mission boulevard anytime between like 2 and 7 PM though, since everyone and their mom from pleasanton will clog it up trying to dodge as much of 680 as they can

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 3, 2016

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

white flight is still white flight, be it from asians or blacks or whomever. sorry that talking about it makes you uncomfortable :(

No, not really, white flight isn't just 'hey there are fewer whites here than before'. It's a complex process associated with the breakdown of social institutions, decline of government services, increased crime rates, declining property values (the resulting loss of tax revenue contributing to all of the above), and a cycle of poverty setting in. Fremont is a wealthy suburb lol, it's experienced nothing like actual white flight. Up until the 80s Fremont was mostly working class whites. Working class folks are getting priced out of the Bay Area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Speaking of racism and California, the OJ Simpson documentary (Made in America) is Very Good and you can hear a lot of the same arguments back in the early 90s that are repeated today about police brutality (eg, "We don't know what Rodney King was doing before the cameras started rolling! Maybe he deserved it!")