Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Procrastinator posted:

But then what do you call the third one?????

Now You Three Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DaveWoo posted:

Now You Three Me

The Horseman: Four

See Me Five

The Magical Six

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

When do they do the Fast and Furious crossover?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
As soon as Paul Walker signs on.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

As soon as Paul Walker signs on.

The greatest illusion of all time; Paul Walker was alive all along.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I've read the last few pages and still don't understand how this is the topic we're on

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Oliver made a throwaway joke about Now You See Me 2 in last Sundays episode

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Also there won't be a new episode until July 24.

But here's this week's web exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQwMCQFgQgo

Happy Independence Day!

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQtYlkwR8lM

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's made good money ($164mill international). There will be a third.

Not necessarily true. First movies have to double their gross because theaters get 50% of it, so NYSM2 would've had to make 180m to break even just on production costs, then they would've had to recoup the ad buys (which might've been $0 since nobody seems to know the movie exists) and then the biggest cherry on the poo poo sundae is that international gross reports are 100% straight up bullshit. Studios are free to claim whatever gross they want for international sales because there's no way of verifying or conclusively discredit and a studio is more than likely not wanting to admit a franchise is damaged because it hurts future plans.

The last bit is very important because even if the studio is publicly traded (most studios aren't) it is not mandatory that shareholders are informed about finances if it's deemed that revealing the information could harm revenue (which admitting a franchise has failed would be).

For the latest international gross bullshit you only need to look at Warcraft.

quote:

There were claims of fraud on Chinese social media:

82 of the top 100 grossing cinemas on Saturday belong to Wanda, far above the usual 40 that usually are on the list.
One Chinese theater saw ticket sales increase 406% from Friday.
Another Chinese theater had a very high number of average moviegoers per screen for being in a city that is flooded.

http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-warcraft-ticket-sales-come-scrutiny/

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 11, 2016

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Love Crime posted:

Not necessarily true. First movies have to double their gross because theaters get 50% of it,
This isn't even close to being true.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ticket sale grosses haven't actually been relevant news for decades now because the studios get at least 80% of their revenue through other streams and these days the initial theatrical run are barely more than an advertising campaign for the home media sales but those stats still get reported by the trades and websites because who the gently caress cares about regional breakdowns of blu-ray sales or international TV rights trade agreements for a movie that fell out of cinemas 3 months ago.

Also movies never 'break even' or lose money purely on ticket sale matching the production budget because the Hollywood accounting process is set up in such a way that the movies pretty much always end up losing money on paper because of *reasons*. There's a whoooole bunch of stories of writers and crew who took points on a movie but even though the movie was incredibly successful from a box office point of view they never got paid out because it officially never made a profit.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 11, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

kevin smith talked on his podcast now about talking to an a-list actor (prolly affleck/damon) about the production process

one studio has a formula that can accurately predict how much a movie will earn within an acceptable range

he also said it hasnt failed yet

so it sure as poo poo cant be disney because hoo boy john carter

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's usually at least one every year. It's a blockbuster that's not really a good movie but not glaringly worse than a lot of other blockbusters that get released around it. It just bombs due to bad word of mouth.

2015 it was Fantastic Four. It wasn't a good movie, it was a boring and bland movie, I don't know it it was really a 9% RT movie though. But it became poison at the box office. Generally people will go see mediocre blockbusters, but you reach that critical mass of bad buzz and it just tanks hard.

I don't really think FF was all that much worse than BvS, but the latter somehow managed to make $850mil before bad buzz killed the box office draw.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Love Crime posted:

Not necessarily true. First movies have to double their gross because theaters get 50% of it, so NYSM2 would've had to make 180m to break even just on production costs, then they would've had to recoup the ad buys (which might've been $0 since nobody seems to know the movie exists) and then the biggest cherry on the poo poo sundae is that international gross reports are 100% straight up bullshit. Studios are free to claim whatever gross they want for international sales because there's no way of verifying or conclusively discredit and a studio is more than likely not wanting to admit a franchise is damaged because it hurts future plans.

Current worldwide on NYSM2 is $238,249,643 Without China that would come to $156,307,187

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 11, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

kevin smith talked on his podcast now about talking to an a-list actor (prolly affleck/damon) about the production process

one studio has a formula that can accurately predict how much a movie will earn within an acceptable range

John Carter came out in 2012, have they had a major failure since then?

They made money on Guardians of the Galaxy and Antman.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

sbaldrick posted:

John Carter came out in 2012, have they had a major failure since then?

They made money on Guardians of the Galaxy and Antman.

The Good Dinosaur only made $120 million, which as far as a Pixar film is concerned is a major flop.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

swickles posted:

The Good Dinosaur only made $120 million, which as far as a Pixar film is concerned is a major flop.

That's ok, they will pay for it with the merchandise from the Broadway version of Frozen.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Fivethirtyeight and Andy Greenwald did a podcast with a guy who gets hired to do these predictions.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/podcast-the-guy-who-predicts-whether-a-movie-will-bomb-months-before-its-made/

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

LividLiquid posted:

This isn't even close to being true.

Uh, yes it is.

http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=32164

The average is 50%, if a movie is kept in theaters for a very long time it can even go higher than 50%, even up to 80%.

Why would you even argue otherwise? This is extremely common knowledge.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Current worldwide on NYSM2 is $238,249,643 Without China that would come to $156,307,187

If we took the international numbers as actually being 100% true and disregarded ad buys that would be 50ish million profit. A studio isn't spending 90m in the hopes of making half of that. Movie would definitely be considered a disappointment and make a sequel unlikely but possible if they retooled it by making it with a much lower budget and writing out a lot of the 'stars', a common fix to lackluster sequels.

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 12, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Love Crime posted:

Uh, yes it is.

http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=32164

The average is 50%, if a movie is kept in theaters for a very long time it can even go higher than 50%, even up to 80%.

Why would you even argue otherwise? This is extremely common knowledge.

That thing you just linked says that it is not 50%. It's a swinging percentage that starts out in the neighborhood of 80% to the studio and then over the weeks swings toward 80% to the theater. I mean, sure if you are just looking at the raw percentage number over time, the percentage number itself averages out to 50%. However since the vast, vast, vast majority of a film's take happens in the first few weeks, studios are getting way more than 50% of the overall ticket sales.

And films that aren't doing fantabulous are going to have an even higher percentage number going to the studio than a block buster, because they aren't in theaters for as long.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Gyges posted:

That thing you just linked says that it is not 50%. It's a swinging percentage that starts out in the neighborhood of 80% to the studio and then over the weeks swings toward 80% to the theater. I mean, sure if you are just looking at the raw percentage number over time, the percentage number itself averages out to 50%. However since the vast, vast, vast majority of a film's take happens in the first few weeks, studios are getting way more than 50% of the overall ticket sales.

And films that aren't doing fantabulous are going to have an even higher percentage number going to the studio than a block buster, because they aren't in theaters for as long.

Uh, no. Maybe don't read one thing and ignore the rest is my advice. It can begin at 30% but by the full run of the movie it averages out to around 50% or even higher of the gross that the studio doesn't get because it ends up wildly swinging to higher than 50%. Read below for proof.

quote:

Often times it's on a scale detailed in the contract. The usual scale is similar to the following

Week 1 - 2: 30 - 50 percent goes to the theater, the rest to the studio (this is why a large box office opening weekend is desirable)

Week 3 - 5: 40 - 60 percent goes to the theater

Week 5 - 8: (if a film gets this far, its often a sub-run theater (less expensive theaters that show new movies a few weeks after opening)) 60 - 80 percent goes to the theater

And if you're thinking "well maybe international is different!"

quote:

Studios usually receive only 40-50% of the total box office income. For instance, in Japan in 1999, total box office income was 182,835 million yen but the income distributed to the studios was 82,794 million yen.

So usually, a movie made for 100 million dollars, with promotional costs of, let's say, 80 million dollars, will have to make around 360 - 450 million dollars to pay itself from box office income only.

Nerds tripping over themselves to argue poo poo they have no idea what they're talking about ITT

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 12, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This has literally nothing to do with anything, stop slapfighting about it.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Did John do a segment about Hollywood accounting or something?

Anyway, I liked John's hate mail segment. Good insults are hard to come by, and can be very creative.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
He very briefly made a throwaway joke about how now you see me 2 is a throwaway movie.

I acquit.

Edit: also Shannon was stabbed

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey, remember when this show used to actually have episodes every week? Nah me neither. Here's some youtube stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voxfqkrO5ww

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Remember when this show was premised on being comedy paired with delving into an interesting but little-known issue instead of just a bunch of cute animal videos?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlothfulCobra posted:

Remember when this show was premised on being comedy paired with delving into an interesting but little-known issue instead of just a bunch of cute animal videos?

It started out with a salmon cannon, you all knew what you were getting into. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

There were no animal videos this week. :colbert:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

There's a very musical cat out there that'd disagree. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Josh Lyman posted:

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's a very musical cat out there that'd disagree. :colbert:

John Mellencamp may look more like Beast from Disney's Beauty And The Beast every year but that's still a really hurtful thing to say about him. :smith:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

John Mellencamp may look more like Beast from Disney's Beauty And The Beast every year but that's still a really hurtful thing to say about him. :smith:

Well he did used to go by John Cougar.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
John's segment on the RNC was beautiful.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Holy poo poo, that Gingrich interview. That was like a Colbert Report bit but its real life!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
No comments on the Ailes tribute? That was pure magic. :allears: Like a useless, racist greatest hits.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Holy poo poo, that Gingrich interview. That was like a Colbert Report bit but its real life!

The reporter tried so hard, I could feel her spirit being crushed through that interview.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

VagueRant posted:

Pack it up, truthiness has gone mainstream...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Holy poo poo I just watched it. Can we put Erdogan in charge of purging America?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The reporter tried so hard, I could feel her spirit being crushed through that interview.

She should have just cut him off after his bullshit proved indefatigable.

Like honestly, the producers know that dreck will get memed or viralized or referenced on yet another stupid "you won't believe what (____) does/says!" bit.
If more of the media actually cut people off for lying to their faces... but no, gotta maintain that faux objectivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm surprised he didn't bother covering the weird dealings behind closed doors that resulted in procedural discrepancies at the RNC. It sounds boring at first, but it was the last gasp of the Trump haters trying to make their stand and be squashed. There was also some hubub at the protests outside of the RNC that would be worth mentioning.

The unauthorized use of music is kind of a soft and easy issue to confront on the other hand. It's been done for a long while, and it was really mostly an excuse for him to bring in celebrities to show off. Shame I'm not hip enough to recognize them. Playing the end of the world as we know it was probably the highlight of that segment, but it totally fits with the narrative the Republicans have that the world already has gone off a cliff despite any real evidence of such.

• Locked thread