Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
formula = is your gaming experience making you frown? buy a video card that costs less than the amount of money you can spend on one . divided by pi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Palladium posted:

Spending anything above $200 on a mobo is really unwise, spending $350 on a CPU is pretty OK because of insane resale value and longevity these days (4 year old used 3770Ks going for ~$260 now on Ebay now, launch = $313), as for GPUs like we mentioned earlier has tons of things in the decision equation to choose the right one, but typically anybody remotely serious about gaming is going to spend at least $200.

in this era i really don't think it's justifiable to spend $200 on a motherboard unless you have money to burn. i spent $200 on a board once because it displayed post codes on a tiny LCD so i wouldn't have to decipher beeps. it owned but it didn't make games any better.

ofc most people itt would fall into the "money to burn category"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NihilismNow posted:

I'm not primarily a gamer but i find it hard to justify spending much on a GPU myself. $350 for a motherboard, $350 for a CPU? No problem! $300 for a GPU? Eh, aren't there more economical options?
(like the guy earlier in the thread gaming is maybe 10% of my computer use, if that).

I've been building PCs primarily for gaming for more than a decade now, and my rule of thumb has always been "spend half the budget on GPU, the other half on the rest of everything." It's usually made a balanced PC where GPU is still the bottleneck!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

wicka posted:

nvidia is dealing with several driver issues related to the 1070/1080 launches. no one is talking about them. there's a reason for that.
Issues like "gpu doesn't idle properly with a 144hz and non-144hz monitor" and "when you update the drivers in win10 it ticks vsync on sometimes and you have to tick it off".

There's not a whole lot to talk about there, wicka. These are not the kind of minor driver issues people are bitter over past AMD drivers for.

I guess to be fair you could also say large korean monitors overclocked to over 81Hz using dual-link DVI can't boot with some of the 1070/1080 cards. Displayport works fine. Supposedly you can just use another monitor for startup then plug them in, too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 2, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If I'm going to be doing all my gaming at 1920x1200 (and mostly playing stuff like GTA5, Fallout 4 and various shooty games) will there be any appreciable difference between a 1070 and 1080 when I'm building a new gaming computer?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

wicka posted:

in this era i really don't think it's justifiable to spend $200 on a motherboard unless you have money to burn. i spent $200 on a board once because it displayed post codes on a tiny LCD so i wouldn't have to decipher beeps. it owned but it didn't make games any better.

If you want certain features you are going to have to pay that much. IPMI just isn't available on sub $200 boards that i know of (not necessary for gaming of course).

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

MrBling posted:

If I'm going to be doing all my gaming at 1920x1200 (and mostly playing stuff like GTA5, Fallout 4 and various shooty games) will there be any appreciable difference between a 1070 and 1080 when I'm building a new gaming computer?

Dont throw away 300 more dollars for a 1080 at that res. Even a 1070 is pretty overkill for 1920x1200.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

MrBling posted:

In theory, thanks to things like downsampling, you should be able to use the very sizable amount of excess GPU power you'd have. But the 1080 is not a very good value and I'd only consider getting it if I absolutely needed that performance as a baseline, basically 1440p 144hz or 4k. I have a 1070 on a 1080p monitor and it is indeed glorious overkill as is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Khorne posted:

Issues like "gpu doesn't idle properly with a 144hz and non-144hz monitor" and "when you update the drivers in win10 it ticks vsync on sometimes and you have to tick it off".

There's not a whole lot to talk about there, wicka. These are not the kind of minor driver issues people are bitter over past AMD drivers for.

I guess to be fair you could also say large korean monitors overclocked to over 81Hz using dual-link DVI can't boot with some of the 1070/1080 cards. Displayport works fine. Supposedly you can just use another monitor for startup then plug them in, too.

The not idling properly thing is annoying but unless you stare at Afterburner or other monitoring software you won't notice it and if it causes actual problems I haven't heard anyone mention them yet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wicka posted:

ofc most people itt would fall into the "money to burn category"

You sometimes have to go up a few models for SLI support, Intel NICs, USB Type-C support, etc especially if you are not on a Skylake platform. I also approve of USB BIOS flash support. Other than that they're all pretty much the same.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Khorne posted:

Issues like "gpu doesn't idle properly with a 144hz and non-144hz monitor"

Does this setup actually work without performance issues on the 1070?

I'm running my new XB271HU with a 60 fps secondary monitor on a GTX 970, and using the secondary monitor for anything at all causes awful FPS drop / stuttering on the first monitor (even just watching videos on the desktop). It's pretty infuriating and I'm finding lots of threads about the same issue with no real solutions

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

You sometimes have to go up a few models for SLI support, Intel NICs, USB Type-C support, etc especially if you are not on a Skylake platform. I also approve of USB BIOS flash support. Other than that they're all pretty much the same.

Yeah, motherboards are pretty easy because you can just draw a circle around the features you need.

Also more phases even if they aren't as good because they get that sweet dopamine pumping action (don't actually do this, but bottom line boards may not be the best).

Khorne
May 1, 2002

PaulC posted:

I'm running my new XB271HU with a 60 fps secondary monitor on a GTX 970, and using the secondary monitor for anything at all causes awful FPS drop / stuttering on the first monitor (even just watching videos on the desktop). It's pretty infuriating and I'm finding lots of threads about the same issue with no real solutions
I don't know about that issue. If you are in games turning off vsync will likely "fix" it. Stuttering while doing anything seems kinda weird though. Supposedly windows 8/10 force triple buffering in any non-fullscreen application. You could try turning vsync/triple buffering off in the drivers, and make sure it's set to multi-monitor in the performance settings. But I don't think that will really help if you say it's doing it for video. The other thing is to make sure refresh rates are set in the nvidia control panel itself and not through advanced monitor settings.

The issue is more: my card is idling at 164MHz core/405MHz memory and if I change my monitor from 120Hz to 144Hz it will be 1151MHz core/4666MHz memory idle clock.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 2, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any card that can guarantee an absolute minimum framerate over 60 at 1080p for the usual AAA stuff?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is there any card that can guarantee an absolute minimum framerate over 60 at 1080p for the usual AAA stuff?

Yes. The stock 1080 gets very close to having minimum frametimes higher than 60fps in the Witcher 3, at 1440p. http://techreport.com/review/30281/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-graphics-card-reviewed/11

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Buy an ASRock mobo, Core i5, and x70 GPU every other generation.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

fair point, my perception may be off bc I was shopping Z170 boards recently. lots of features are standard with that chipset.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Josh Lyman posted:

Buy an ASRock mobo, Core i5, and x70 GPU every other generation.

This is actually probably a pretty good rule of thumb.

Also, 50-100% more RAM than last time.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Stumpus posted:

Do any of you remember how long it took before they started packaging free games with your GPU purchase? I would like to wait for that before I buy. Probably won't because I'm a man-baby but whatev.

I should say the 900 series.

For the 900's it was the Witcher 3, about half a year after launch.
Of course it also depends whether a suitable nvidia 'partner' game would be lining up so perfectly again. I bet they got those GOG codes rather cheap, too to promote that service.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

GTX 1070 and 1080 look like they accomplish that, but the 1070 only barely manages it in stuff like Ubisoft games, seeing averages in the mid-high 70's maxed out with dips to the low 60's. Ubisoft engines folks. But I'm sure there are settings you can change that have practically 0 effect on visual quality for huge gains in performance. in non-Ubisoft games, the GTX 1070 seems to be managing 100+ FPS outside of Ashes of the Singularity.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I'm in the UK and I've been waiting for my 1080 SC for fuckin' ages. Looks like i'll be waiting another 2 weeks. Overclockers UK has a 'Godfather' sort of theme on its forums so I made this out of boredom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgTtaGjAPM

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I'm a bit out of the loop here...did I luck the gently caress out ordering my 1080 from Gigabyte on the 8th?

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Hubis posted:

This is actually probably a pretty good rule of thumb.

Also, 50-100% more RAM than last time.

I now have 32 gigs of RAM. please advise.

Do we get a Fiji successor before the end of the year? Something with 5,000+ shaders and 8 gigs of HBM2 right?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

repiv posted:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/detail/index/sArticle/61887

Sapphire 480 Nitro 8GB just showed up for £250, which is £20 more than reference. Not bad considering how much of an improvement that cooler will be.

Weren't reference supposed to be £170 and £200? Is £230 the early adopter tax? Saying that, the Sapphire seems to fix the 480 with the 8 pin connector and decent cooling. I wonder when someone will have one to benchmark.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Skuto posted:

By the way, question: given that the new memory compression in both Pascal and Polaris must be done before the chip interfaces with the SDRAM chips on it, doesn't this mean that their effective memory size is much larger than the nominal one?

Maxwell reported a ~1.3x gain, and Pascal is reported to have 1.2x over Maxwell, making it ~1.55 over no compression.

Does this mean an 8GB Pascal card can really hold about 12GB of video textures?

The textures themselves are already compressed, this has been a feature since DirectX 3 or something (DXTC), and the memory compression touted by Nvidia and AMD isn't about that.

What's happening is that, during all the intermediate stages of textures being applied to a polygon, then given a shader pass, then another shader pass (etc), then flattened out into the frame buffer, the results are written too and read back from memory a lot. Compressing the data at this point is hugely valuable, not because it saves memory, but because the speed between memory and the gpu is effectively increased. This bandwidth bind has been a performance bottleneck for a long time, and has driven a lot of hardware design (gddr3, gddr5, gddr5x, hbm, hbm2) to try to widen this part of the pipeline.

Colour space compression here is now worth doing, because most game engines do multiple texturing passes with alpha channels, offer shaders at multiple points along the rendering pipeline, and have started to use 32 bit textures and HDR rendering. All of these respond very, very welll to the type of fixed compression algorithms available to in hardware, and makes the return on investment from compression schemes much, much better, and we've now tipped over into it being worth the die space costs.

I wouldn't expect to see many more big jumps with this feature, either, as this is an extensively researched area in other industries, and we are probably already at the point of strongly diminishing returns.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

roadhead posted:

I now have 32 gigs of RAM. please advise.

Do we get a Fiji successor before the end of the year? Something with 5,000+ shaders and 8 gigs of HBM2 right?

In four generations you're required to have 128GB of ram. In 8 generations you'll need 512Gb.

The next Titan will probably have like 12GB of HBM2. Along with 3840 cores, it'll be a beast.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lungboy posted:

Weren't reference supposed to be £170 and £200? Is £230 the early adopter tax? Saying that, the Sapphire seems to fix the 480 with the 8 pin connector and decent cooling. I wonder when someone will have one to benchmark.

I think that was before the pound tanked in value. OC UK were saying that they lost money honoring preorder prices.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Twerk from Home posted:

I think that was before the pound tanked in value. OC UK were saying that they lost money honoring preorder prices.

Ah yes. Another addition to the list of reasons to hate Farage, Johnson and Gove.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I enabled the new Fast Sync thing for The Witcher 3 and it seems to work perfectly, though I haven't bothered to compare it with normal vsync.

I'm going to try it with Doom now.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Trip report: don't buy a 1070 if you use Windows 10 Enterprise. You won't be able to update Windows or install your drivers.

I'm on Win 10 Enterprise and everything works fine with my 1070? Are you sure its not Enterprise LTSB?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
German aftermarket 1080 comparison: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/geforce-gtx-1080-partnerkarten-vergleich-test/

Winners are the almost identical Palit GameRock Premium and Gainward Phoenix GLH. They are ultra silent, balanced and humongous. Preclocked incl. memory so well, just plug it in (if it fits lol) and forgeddaboutit.

Asus Strix's cooler sucks and it's not as fast but efficient (and loud)
EVGA FTW average and nice looking, Windforce restrained and unremarkable, iChill X3 is decent but can have cooling issues when the case has subpar airflow.
Zotac ZOMG! Xtreme is the fastest and hungriest.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 3, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

German aftermarket 1080 comparison: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/geforce-gtx-1080-partnerkarten-vergleich-test/

Winners are the almost identical Palit GameRock Premium and Gainward Phoenix GLH. They are ultra silent, balanced and humongous. Preclocked incl. memory so well, just plug it in (if it fits lol) and forgeddaboutit.

Asus Strix's cooler sucks and it's not as fast but efficient (and loud)
EVGA FTW average and nice looking, Windforce restrained and unremarkable, iChill X3 is decent but can have cooling issues when the case has subpar airflow.
Zotac ZOMG! Xtreme is the fastest and hungriest.

What this german site seemed to fail to mention (much like another one (or the same one?)) is that the Strix OC has a much higher RPM limit than any of the Palits/Innos. IIRC the Inno maxes at 1500rpm while the Strix goes up to something near 3000rpm.

Simple fan curve adjustment for anyone who has one/is waiting for one. Like me. Because gently caress paying more than £619 which is already ludicrous and just gently caress this entire situation gently caress.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah, you really want to review them after setting the fan curve to keep all the cards at the same temperature, but that'd be massive effort and they're already the best in the business.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Where should I learn how to overclock the Gigabyte G1 1070 I'm going to have soon?

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

I'm running a 1070 now, and it is running pretty much every single game over 60 at 1080p. Doom is 100-130, Witcher 3 is over 60 with hairworks on and every single other thing maxed. Mirror's edge catalyst on hyper which requires close to 8 gigs VRAM is way over 60. The only game that's dipped below maxed out is crysis 3 in some areas goes to ~50. Funny how it's a 3 year old game which is the most demanding.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
When do RX 460 & 470 come out?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Likewise on the 1070. I barely get drops in FPS even on hyper settings in Mirror's edge catalyst.

I just recently ran a 3dmark stress test and was wondering if there was anything to watch out for with my setup?

The reason I ask is that I was under the impression that the 1070 starts to throttle at around 84C and although it doesn't consistently stay in the 80s there are occasional spikes. Generally it fluxes in between 60s and 70s C.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

What do I do if Im one of the poors who also doesnt mind setting graphics to medium so long as the game runs smoothly? I just want a card that will last me another 4-5 years. If I have to turn off shadows or reflective water or boob jiggle physics as time goes on Im cool with that.

I was led to believe that I was the target market for the 480 but people here keep saying nvidia will have to come out with a cheaper card at some point. Im just so confused, do I buy now while sales are on or wait to see how things shake up?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Furnaceface posted:

What do I do if Im one of the poors who also doesnt mind setting graphics to medium so long as the game runs smoothly?

Newegg had an Asus 960 for $160. I'm limping along with an Asus 660 with factory OC and have for three years, going from playing Bioshock Infinite at ultra settings in 2013, to playing Overwatch in above-medium, GTA at medium, and Doom at downright ugly.

I figured if I liked this card (which I bought for $200 and sold my old card for $100), I figured I could buy this card and sell my old one at $80 for a similar experience.

Unfortunately, I reached a point where I realized that I want Doom to run on high settings in 1080 and have no idea what the gently caress I need for that anymore, since people report bad performance with a 970 even in some games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Furnaceface posted:

What do I do if Im one of the poors who also doesnt mind setting graphics to medium so long as the game runs smoothly? I just want a card that will last me another 4-5 years. If I have to turn off shadows or reflective water or boob jiggle physics as time goes on Im cool with that.

I was led to believe that I was the target market for the 480 but people here keep saying nvidia will have to come out with a cheaper card at some point. Im just so confused, do I buy now while sales are on or wait to see how things shake up?

Its going to be down to the 1060 (not out yet) and the 480 (don't buy one until aftermarket boards are available). You should probably be able to decide which way you want to go before August.