Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's not a "Regengu" (or whatever they're called), though?

From that video of a guy soloing a 30-man gatecamp a while ago, I gathered they have cap batteries and rigs and CPRs and an XL (?) shieldbooster to be not just capstable, but have enough cap-buffer to out-regenerate any neuting in the engagements they're meant for.

cap batteries now give resistance to neuting, so they have that going for them

the regengus require HG crystals (and probably siege links), so you usually need to spend a lot to build something that's fairly gimmicky (and will get eaten if someone catches you and bridges in bhaalgorns)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Landsknecht posted:

cap batteries now give resistance to neuting, so they have that going for them

They always gave a resistance to neuting, it was a flat 25% before so 4 of them meant you wouldn't get neuted at all because of no stacking penalty.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Whats the neut resistance stacking like now?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

FranktheBank posted:

Whats the neut resistance stacking like now?

Honestly i can't remember exactly nor find the devblog on it but iirc you can't get 100% anymore but the resistance is still 25% for t2 but you can get 28% with faction

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
so it's been around ~5 years since I've actually played other than just left my character training.

What's going on in the eve world these days? Did they fix horrible sovereignty fights yet?

is it still super capital blaps win everything?

Are server slow down fights still till downtime to save your ship? How does logging off during a slow down fight work? does it elongate the 20 minute log off timer or is it still 20 minutes real life?

did they ever fix overview lag with icons blinking and stupid poo poo where you had to filter everything to off just to fight ina 100 person fight?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

so it's been around ~5 years since I've actually played other than just left my character training.

What's going on in the eve world these days? Did they fix horrible sovereignty fights yet?

is it still super capital blaps win everything?

Are server slow down fights still till downtime to save your ship? How does logging off during a slow down fight work? does it elongate the 20 minute log off timer or is it still 20 minutes real life?

did they ever fix overview lag with icons blinking and stupid poo poo where you had to filter everything to off just to fight ina 100 person fight?

Sov still sucks (worse maybe?). Supers still rock (though fighters got nerfed or something) but differently. tidi replaced crashes, but fights can (but rarely do) drag on for many hours. B-R (the last truly huge fight) was like 8+ hours. timers i think dont slow down with tidi with regards to character timers? not really sure. and 1000-2000 person fights stil lfuck you without proper overview/bracket settings.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

necrotic posted:

Sov still sucks (worse maybe?). Supers still rock (though fighters got nerfed or something) but differently. tidi replaced crashes, but fights can (but rarely do) drag on for many hours. B-R (the last truly huge fight) was like 8+ hours. timers i think dont slow down with tidi with regards to character timers? not really sure. and 1000-2000 person fights stil lfuck you without proper overview/bracket settings.

any fun wars going around these days? or is it peaceful bliss eve time with content tech moon farming?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

any fun wars going around these days? or is it peaceful bliss eve time with content tech moon farming?

40k people came down on us and kicked us out of our sov. We're still at war with a whole shitload of them, though their coalition is starting to splinter (as it was only planned to last as long as we lived or something? though we still live...)

Just tonight we killed 4 titans in lowsec, not more than 6 jumps from our current home. There's fights nearly every night to be had in all flavor of ships from interceptors to battleships (and sometimes caps now!)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Thanks!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Where exactly do I go for these Serpentis sites, and how do I find them?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The Shortest Path posted:

Where exactly do I go for these Serpentis sites, and how do I find them?

Space. They are celestial beacons named after the type of site. That's what all the poo poo on the login screen and that new button up by the constellation and route info is about.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
OK so thought about building Cerberus ships, holy poo poo how deep does this autistic hole go?!

I got my scientist trained to build it, but the 100 sub components are making my brain hurt, are these PI materials? The hell are reactions? PI materials combined or something?

BAE B BLUE
Mar 27, 2016

bluegoon posted:

OK so thought about building Cerberus ships, holy poo poo how deep does this autistic hole go?!

I got my scientist trained to build it, but the 100 sub components are making my brain hurt, are these PI materials? The hell are reactions? PI materials combined or something?

If you have to ask its probably not a good idea to get into t2 production.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

bluegoon posted:

It's a mix of all of those things. Honestly, the best way to learn is to just start doing it. You'll figure out what you need to buy and what you need to build. Once you fumble through it you'll understand it a lot more.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

BAE B BLUE posted:

If you have to ask its probably not a good idea to get into t2 production.

It's like WOW garrisons on a frighting new level!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know how mission system locations are chosen/generated/whatever? I'm trying to find a good L5 hub and I thought missions would only spawn in the same constellation so I was hoping to avoid one where I need 5 or 6 carriers, but I finally got one carrier moved into position was going to do some test runs, but the third mission I got sent me several (gate) jumps away into the next constellation.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo. I bought a Data Analyzer II, and doing Data Sites in WH space has become much easier with it.

However I ran into a relic site and I can see how the small strength and coherence boosts make a huge difference. Even with Archaeology 5 I popped 2 of the ruins and possibly tens of millions of loot.

It didn't help that I was rushing because 12 guys in Tengus, Blackbirds, etc.. (2 Iteron Vs? Why in WH space?) showed up in D-Scan so I ran to my spot and logged safe.

12.5 million from one site though, in a Heron with basic poo poo I can't complain.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That extra 10 coherence is massive for ruins, you really have to gently caress up to not get one on the first try.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Goatman Sacks posted:

That extra 10 coherence is massive for ruins, you really have to gently caress up to not get one on the first try.

Yeah, with the Data Analyzer II and Hacking 5 I breeze through Data sites. I guess I'll use this haul to buy a new relic analyzer.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Phi230 posted:

Yeah, with the Data Analyzer II and Hacking 5 I breeze through Data sites. I guess I'll use this haul to buy a new relic analyzer.

these are my hacking/scanning skills

with t2 analysers and running in an astero or cov ops frigate (Which you should train into now, and especially a cov ops cloak), I might miss one red on the first time in one trip but I genuinely can't remember the last time in 9 months i blew a can due to loving up the game twice

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Phi230 posted:

poo poo. I bought a Data Analyzer II, and doing Data Sites in WH space has become much easier with it.

However I ran into a relic site and I can see how the small strength and coherence boosts make a huge difference. Even with Archaeology 5 I popped 2 of the ruins and possibly tens of millions of loot.

It didn't help that I was rushing because 12 guys in Tengus, Blackbirds, etc.. (2 Iteron Vs? Why in WH space?) showed up in D-Scan so I ran to my spot and logged safe.

12.5 million from one site though, in a Heron with basic poo poo I can't complain.

put a cargo scanner in your midslots to see whats inside those cans and to see if theyre worth opening

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
xposting from the main thread since it went back to smugging right after I asked this (bad timing): what are Svipuls used for and why are they cancer? Are they fun in small gang stuff or are they mostly just used for instablapping frigates in gatecamps?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jazzzzz posted:

xposting from the main thread since it went back to smugging right after I asked this (bad timing): what are Svipuls used for and why are they cancer? Are they fun in small gang stuff or are they mostly just used for instablapping frigates in gatecamps?

svipuls are super thrashers. they're way more agile, tank way more, go way faster, and do way more dps. they will shred a sabre 1v1. it is king poo poo of antisupport. it can also do dumb gimmick poo poo like dual masb 10mn except they arent gimmicks they work perfectly fine with minimal compromise

but everyone knows they are good and they will get primaried p much immediately. they also aren't super tanky, it just seems like they are because they can mitigate so much damage. webs and a scram and 90% of svipuls are dead in the water though

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

nigga crab pollock posted:

svipuls are super thrashers. they're way more agile, tank way more, go way faster, and do way more dps. they will shred a sabre 1v1. it is king poo poo of antisupport. it can also do dumb gimmick poo poo like dual masb 10mn except they arent gimmicks they work perfectly fine with minimal compromise

but everyone knows they are good and they will get primaried p much immediately. they also aren't super tanky, it just seems like they are because they can mitigate so much damage. webs and a scram and 90% of svipuls are dead in the water though

They also have nearly the same alpha as a cruiser with medium artillery except the Svipul has a ten times higher accuracy score so in practise it's a lot more dangerous.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Jazzzzz posted:

Svipuls are used for a variety of things -- they're basically a drop-in replacement for many assault frigates. A fairly typical MWD+autocannon fit in defensive mode packs 25K EHP of buffer (i.e. on par with a T1 cruiser) while having the signature radius of a frigate and 300-400dps, and if it switches to propulsion mode then it can burst up to 3700m/s without links. It can pack neuts _and_ combat probes in its option highs.

In its artillery mode, it has relatively limited range, but absurdly good alpha strike for a destroyer (1500 is typical, 2000 with good fits+skills) and a very fast locking speed, making it an ideal gatecamper.

They're cancerous for three reasons:

1) They're extremely effective for their price point. They're not invincible, but they're absurdly good for a 50M ship.
2) They have obsoleted a large number of ships, both smaller and larger than them
3) They are exceptionally powerful compared to other T3 destroyers (mostly because their tracking is good enough that they rarely, if ever, need to leave defensive mode once tackle is applied) but have largely avoided the nerf bat

Some of it also is lingering frustration from the community over how the T3 Balance Focus Group was handled -- namely, they created it, then got distracted by Fanfest and the new shinies of citadel balancing + serpentis capitals. The CCP devs left the Slack group after the first day, and never came back. None of the focus group's suggestions were implemented, for any of the T3s. It's why I refuse to participate in any future CCP focus groups and am content to watch them gently caress up over and over again.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

ullerrm posted:

Svipuls are used for a variety of things

Why don't we see more Svipul doctrines, most T3D doctrines I've seen tend to be Confessor fleets. Does the confessor mesh better with fleet work?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

nomad2020 posted:

Why don't we see more Svipul doctrines, most T3D doctrines I've seen tend to be Confessor fleets. Does the confessor mesh better with fleet work?

Pretty much, its got better projection which is a big thing for fleet work, the jackdaw is good in that respect too but isn't quite as good as the confessor in other areas

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

nomad2020 posted:

Yep. In exchange for all those positives I mentioned, the Svipul has only mediocre range (~12km with close range ammo, ~44km with Tremor), and you have to sacrifice a significant amount of tank in order to put artillery on it. It really shines with ACs.

In comparison, Beam Confessors and Rail Hecates can hit out to 60+, can do so while packing a full armor tank, and can do more DPS at that range with Aurora/Spike than a Svipul can with Tremor. They definitely scale up to 40+ people better than a Svipul, at the cost of not being as dominant in small/micro/solo gang.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
the svipul is just absurdly versatile though, to the point of stupidity

it's good with an armor tank
it's good with a shield tank
it's good with a passive tank
it's good with an active tank
it's good with autocannons
it's good with artillery
it's good for roaming
it's good for gatecamping
it's usually cap stable
it can fight utility highs
if you fit armor, it can fit utility mids
if you fit shield, it will be very fast and agile

if you want to play solo or with micro/small gangs in lowsec/0.0 there is probably no better ship for you to train atm

the popular dual MSE fit is really good (and even better with bling); it's basically obsoleted a lot of cruisers and frigates just by existing

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

ullerrm posted:

Yep. In exchange for all those positives I mentioned, the Svipul has only mediocre range (~12km with close range ammo, ~44km with Tremor), and you have to sacrifice a significant amount of tank in order to put artillery on it. It really shines with ACs.

In comparison, Beam Confessors and Rail Hecates can hit out to 60+, can do so while packing a full armor tank, and can do more DPS at that range with Aurora/Spike than a Svipul can with Tremor. They definitely scale up to 40+ people better than a Svipul, at the cost of not being as dominant in small/micro/solo gang.

I'm super noob on the subject, but as I understand it, Arti is for the high alpha (like gate camps) and ACs is for actual fighting. I'm guessing the ACs fit drops the sebo for some tank in mid.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
So I was just playing around in EFT and with the svipul you can do a dual MASB fit (with MWD and 200mm ACs) which will put out 370dps and tank around 310 with one MASB running (about 615 with both going, unheated), using no boosts and implants (just strong blue pill)

add HG crystals and offgrid links (tengu) and you can burst tank up to 2k dps (with heat) for about 25s, which is insane, or you'll permatank (for as long as your cap charges hold out) 800 dps

holy poo poo this thing is awesome

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

FranktheBank posted:

I'm super noob on the subject, but as I understand it, Arti is for the high alpha (like gate camps) and ACs is for actual fighting. I'm guessing the ACs fit drops the sebo for some tank in mid.

Pretty much, but you can still get some really nice dps out of arty on it and it counters active tanks really well because it helps alpha through reps, but the svipul does struggle to fit them with an armour tank without gimping the fit a bit, or dropping to 250s, with shield though I personally prefer arty over autos just because you don't have to be at knife fight range to apply most of your damage.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Landsknecht posted:

So I was just playing around in EFT and with the svipul you can do a dual MASB fit (with MWD and 200mm ACs) which will put out 370dps and tank around 310 with one MASB running (about 615 with both going, unheated), using no boosts and implants (just strong blue pill)

add HG crystals and offgrid links (tengu) and you can burst tank up to 2k dps (with heat) for about 25s, which is insane, or you'll permatank (for as long as your cap charges hold out) 800 dps

You can also completely passive tank the it with purger rigs, all power relays in the lows and 2 MSEs and get a daft regen out of it that murders pretty much anything small solo by simply outlasting it

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Sunber posted:

You can also completely passive tank the it with purger rigs, all power relays in the lows and 2 MSEs and get a daft regen out of it that murders pretty much anything small solo by simply outlasting it

I'd worry about being up against an hecate because those things poo poo dps while having a decent tank (and if someone is packing the new serp implants, well then)

edit: also I just EFT'd this, and while respectable it doesn't lend itself to having implant/drug power like the MASB fits; this might change when the promised "shield slaves" finally come out

Landsknecht fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 3, 2016

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

Landsknecht posted:

You can do 1k/s ehp active tank with drugs boosts crystals and a type medium shield booster although the problem the wall I always a run into is doing enough dps it get off field before you get dogpiled, else you'll just get a carrier warping in on you or a neuting ship.

It gets real loving hilarious when you duo roam in gimmick expensive ships though. Me and a friend racked up a lot of kills with a pimped ab worm and curse, to include baiting out a darkness blops drop (pizza cyno was cloaked on grid with us :lol:)

PookBear fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 3, 2016

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Yep, all of the above. And the problem is, CCP has few options to fix it, because there's such a huge gap in fitting requirements between arty and ACs. If they give it enough room to fit arty, the AC fits have too much flexibility; if they take away grid/cpu so that AC fits are balanced, fitting arty is impossible.

They basically have two options if they want to introduce tradeoffs in fitting:

1) fix arty fitting across the board (lololol effort, every Minnie ship has to be tweaked)

2) "firetail-ize" the Svipul: give it a double damage bonus and then remove two highs (and two hardpoints). This reduces the difference in grid between arty/ac fits, allowing them to rebalance the ship to actually have tradeoffs in fits. And is basically #1 with less effort.

And the sad part is, they learned their lesson here with the Cynabal, which used to be able to fit everything without effort until it was nerfed. And then they forgot said lesson for the Svipul.

Tldr fire Fozzie

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Yep, all of the above. And the problem is, CCP has few options to fix it, because there's such a huge gap in fitting requirements between arty and ACs. If they give it enough room to fit arty, the AC fits have too much flexibility; if they take away grid/cpu so that AC fits are balanced, fitting arty is impossible.

They basically have two options if they want to introduce tradeoffs in fitting:

1) fix arty fitting across the board (lololol effort, every Minnie ship has to be tweaked)

2) "firetail-ize" the Svipul: give it a double damage bonus and then remove two highs (and two hardpoints). This reduces the difference in grid between arty/ac fits, allowing them to rebalance the ship to actually have tradeoffs in fits. And is basically #1 with less effort.

And the sad part is, they learned their lesson here with the Cynabal, which used to be able to fit everything without effort until it was nerfed. And then they forgot said lesson for the Svipul.

Tldr fire Fozzie
Tech 2 1400s is the funniest joke of all time. Also I find "nerf cynabal, create orthrus" to be loving hilarious. Dumb oval office made his wet dream of a solo ship. I think the only thing CCP has done to balance ships that I've liked has been their nerds to logi, because I was loving terrified they were going to do what they ended up doing to capitals.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 3, 2016

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ullerrm posted:

Why does it have to be able to fit artillery? Aren't there still meaningful choices in fitting if you just drop the cpu/pg to make AC fits tighter? I mean that's not perfect, and it would be better to fix artillery across the board, but is it really that big a deal if the svipul is limited to ACs? Lots of ships are shoehorned into short or long ranged weapons.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Landsknecht posted:

I'd worry about being up against an hecate because those things poo poo dps while having a decent tank (and if someone is packing the new serp implants, well then)

edit: also I just EFT'd this, and while respectable it doesn't lend itself to having implant/drug power like the MASB fits; this might change when the promised "shield slaves" finally come out

While true that it doesn't have the burst damage of an active tank it's not susceptible to neuts or screw-ups which is nice, I actually tried taking one on in a hull tanked/aar hecate and found that I couldn't break him fast enough to win, maybe with dual rep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Why does it have to be able to fit artillery? Aren't there still meaningful choices in fitting if you just drop the cpu/pg to make AC fits tighter? I mean that's not perfect, and it would be better to fix artillery across the board, but is it really that big a deal if the svipul is limited to ACs? Lots of ships are shoehorned into short or long ranged weapons.

The svipul is one of the only (minmatar) ships that can actually use arty. A full rack of t2 arty will leave a tempest or maelstrom with like 1% pg left with all Vs

• Locked thread