Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

vyst posted:

what the hell else dessert can you do with n? Napoleon?

Neapolitan? Nut brittle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Nutty Buddies
Nutter Butter

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Breetai posted:

Does anyone know of a good, freeware, preferably over-use program/method for saving messages from my old Sony Xperia Sola to a file on my computer in a somewhat readable format? I don't ever need to backup or re-transfer them to my phone, I just want to be able to open the file on my PC and re-read the message thread.

Tried looking online, but couldn't find anything but dodgy crap from you-backup-now-android-phone.notmalware.org.cn.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

This will dump them all into an XML file and put it in your Dropbox/Google drive.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

You're awful

Really can't complain about nougat when we've had ice cream sandwich and kit kat

At least ice cream sandwich and kit kat are actual things you can get in a store. Nougat is some fictional thing like Spoo. Although there exists a translation in my language, first time i heard it was in a relation to Android.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

At least ice cream sandwich and kit kat are actual things you can get in a store. Nougat is some fictional thing like Spoo.
You do understand that there are parts of the world that are not where you live, right?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Everyone is coming up with a bunch of sweet copyrighted names!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Android Nanners :sotw:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Android 'Nana Cream. Little nod to the vapers.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

e: I happen to be an expert on this particular letter.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Android Nerds

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A missed opportunity imo

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Android Needham

This would also let them transition from treats into towns.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Android Nestlé® Kit Kat®

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

MikusR posted:

At least ice cream sandwich and kit kat are actual things you can get in a store. Nougat is some fictional thing like Spoo. Although there exists a translation in my language, first time i heard it was in a relation to Android.

Yo man nougat's a real, actual thing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sharkytm posted:

Northeastern Connecticut has a Versailles... and the locals call it Ver-Sales, none of that pansy French poo poo.

OK, Mr. FAWKS-TON.

Hey, I've made my peace with the illiteracy of goons on mumble/discord and just say "it's whatever you want it to sound like, tiger" when asked.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Syrinxx posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

This will dump them all into an XML file and put it in your Dropbox/Google drive.

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I would totally install Android Nanaimo Bar. :canada:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:canada:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

docbeard posted:

I just wonder what they're gonna do when they get to Android Q.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sadly it's NesQuik now. I know because I've gotten into arguments with people about it because they claimed it was never just Quik and gently caress them for not remembering.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
I'm getting a phone that can be rooted, but that cannot have its ROM changed to something like CM.

I'm looking for a firewall with easy controls for white/blacklisting. I would prefer not using a crude approach like a hosts file, or at least not rely on that exclusively.

I would prefer an on-device firewall which would prompt me whenever a new domain name or IP is being requested by an app. For example, if TorchApp tries to connect to torchapp.com (or a direct IP like 1.2.3.4), I get prompted for a decision, and can select "deny" and "remember". All further attempts by TorchApp to connect to torchapp.com would fail silently. It must be able to block Google's own system apps too (such as Google Play Services), not just downloaded apps. I'd like to be able to block all of Google's phone home BS if I want (and I do).

I don't mind if there's no automatic prompt, as long as there's an easy way to figure out which domain I should whitelist, and it's not too painful to do.

I've tried a couple of firewalls so far, ufwall and NetGuard, but they seem to only apply to apps, not domains. Well, ufwall lets you enter IPtables rules, but that's way too complicated.

Any advice?

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 3, 2016

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Find some tinfoil. Make a hat. :tinfoil:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if you want per domain blocking you're going to have to deal with iptables

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

SB35 posted:

Find some tinfoil. Make a hat. :tinfoil:

That stock reply must come preloaded in every Android, because every single time someone hints at not wanting to send data to untrusted servers, people like you post it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably don't use Android and if you insist on it, only use paid apps if you're concerned that someone is going to know about the hentai on your phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you're that concerned about your device talking to Google services, why did you buy a device that has Google services baked into it?

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

Blue Train posted:

if you want per domain blocking you're going to have to deal with iptables

Is there a nice frontend that would detect blocked attempts and give me a convenient menu to whitelist them?

Endless Mike posted:

Probably don't use Android and if you insist on it, only use paid apps if you're concerned that someone is going to know about the hentai on your phone.

Sure, I could "probably" not use Android. Or I could do what I want to do, which is why I wrote that post. If you don't know how to do something, it's OK, you don't have to reply. But telling me not to use Android shows a mentality where if you don't know how to do something, you should avoid technology altogether. That's a pretty defeatist attitude. (EDIT: kitten smoothie, this applies to you too. Computer tech isn't magic, show some backbone)

FYI, it's 100% possible to do this. I did it on my previous Android phone. You need a phone with support for the Xposed framework and the Xprivacy module for that framework. The new phone I want to get doesn't have that, because ROM developers need time to catch up. Using a firewall is my attempt at a work-around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's actually more a mentality of using the tool most appropriate to the job, but keep trying to beat those nails in with a screwdriver, I guess!

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

It's actually more a mentality of using the tool most appropriate to the job, but keep trying to beat those nails in with a screwdriver, I guess!

Thanks for your concern, but I did my research, and this IS the most appropriate tool for the job. There are no open smartphones with great cameras like flagship Androids have (EDIT: there's Nexus 6P, but it has horrible audio. And yet I'll still get that if I can't figure out a work-around). If there was an open alternative, or even CyanogenMod support, I wouldn't be using a locked up Android.

Jesus Christ, when did Android fans become as fanatical as Apple fans? When did it become heresy to want to tinker with my phone a bit? I posted this on SA so the fanatics wouldn't react like they typically do, and yet here we are.

FYI, if I ever decide to give up on controlling the SW on my phone, then I'll just buy an iPhone.

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 3, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Post request for way to do (goofy-rear end stupid poo poo repeatedly mocked in thread), provide "excuse me, I didn't know (fringe case) was so weird to you around here" response when mocked. When rebuffed further, attempt to draw comparisons to rivals (E.g. reddit/the other fanboys' thing/a dictatorship) to try and drive the conversation into a slapfight.

No, this is perfectly novel and it's never been tried before anywhere.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
So choosing to use a firewall to prevent software from making unwanted network connections, like people have been doing for 20 years, is goofy and stupid. OK bud.

I'm gonna stop posting for tonight, because I feel this derail only reduces my chances of having a sensible person see my post over the next few days. Good night, noble defenders of phone brand! I'm sure Google appreciates you laying down the law as to what should be considered acceptable, non-goofy, non-stupid use of a computer device.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
LMAO if you care enough about security to sperg about phone firewalls but also use Android.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The best advice anyone in this thread is likely to give is to go to the rooted thread.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Probably the best non tinfoil hat answer would be to set up an always on vpn to home and to squid or something on that leg. You can even do https proxy and see 100% of everything. I figure there's also a way to configure your firewall server to sms or email you when it sees a new connection and you can reply to whitelist. I bet that's considerably easier to use and would even work for iPhone's I suppose.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MachinTrucChose posted:

Is there a nice frontend that would detect blocked attempts and give me a convenient menu to whitelist them?

Sure, I could "probably" not use Android. Or I could do what I want to do, which is why I wrote that post. If you don't know how to do something, it's OK, you don't have to reply. But telling me not to use Android shows a mentality where if you don't know how to do something, you should avoid technology altogether. That's a pretty defeatist attitude. (EDIT: kitten smoothie, this applies to you too. Computer tech isn't magic, show some backbone)

FYI, it's 100% possible to do this. I did it on my previous Android phone. You need a phone with support for the Xposed framework and the Xprivacy module for that framework. The new phone I want to get doesn't have that, because ROM developers need time to catch up. Using a firewall is my attempt at a work-around.

Hello I can help you with this. First, which phone is it? You mentioned that you can get root but not replace the ROM.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Probably the best non tinfoil hat answer would be to set up an always on vpn to home and to squid or something on that leg. You can even do https proxy and see 100% of everything. I figure there's also a way to configure your firewall server to sms or email you when it sees a new connection and you can reply to whitelist. I bet that's considerably easier to use and would even work for iPhone's I suppose.

But what if they infiltrate his compound while he's out on watch

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you know how to do what you want, it makes sense to get a phone that lets you do that and work around the issues. If the 6P has bad sound, get a USB C DAC.

If you want to tinker, the get an appropriate phone that lets you tinker, and if you don't, then obviously you value other things more and you should spend your time learning to write iptables rules.

RZA Encryption posted:

Hello I can help you with this. First, which phone is it? You mentioned that you can get root but not replace the ROM.

He can't just tell us that. That would expose him to a security risk since we would know what unpatched vulnerabilities exist on the phone he can't change roms on.

carticket fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 3, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Are people unironically talking about using cell phone firewall programs?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

vyst posted:

Are people unironically talking about using cell phone firewall programs?

I just don't want to let google know I spent 22 minutes at home depot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

uPen posted:

I just don't want to let google know I spent 22 minutes at home depot.

Is Home Depot wheel chair accessible?
Does Home Depot have wheel chair accessible parking?
Is Home Depot cash only?