Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone give me some NC MAX tips? Which weapons are good against infantry, what's a good combo to roll with, ect. I simply can't make it work. I poke my head in a door and I'm just wasted by everything. On the other hand a friend and I were mucking around on TR since we've never really played them before and with their MAX you can just hold down your mouse buttons and clear a room before you have to reload. I'll chalk it up to TR being a bit newbie friendly, so I'm looking for some hints. I play just about every other class all the time but I rarely ever pull out a MAX, not because of the resource cost, but because I'm just horrible with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Nevermind then. That's loving insane.

Im going to regret this question, but why?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone give me some NC MAX tips? Which weapons are good against infantry, what's a good combo to roll with, ect. I simply can't make it work. I poke my head in a door and I'm just wasted by everything. On the other hand a friend and I were mucking around on TR since we've never really played them before and with their MAX you can just hold down your mouse buttons and clear a room before you have to reload. I'll chalk it up to TR being a bit newbie friendly, so I'm looking for some hints. I play just about every other class all the time but I rarely ever pull out a MAX, not because of the resource cost, but because I'm just horrible with it.

Get any double anti Infantry weapon, then buy slugs, then click chest.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Polyakov posted:

Im going to regret this question, but why?

Giving all heavy assaults max rank of nanoweave for free would make all HA that much more obnoxious to play against. This, combined with EMPs no longer effecting HA's mlg-shield, would make planetside infantry play totally dominated by nothing but HAs everywhere with a few support classes to support the HAs.

Seems like wrel is in love with HA...

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 3, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

This, combined with EMPs no longer effecting HA's mlg-shield,

I... what? What the gently caress?! Why? Who the gently caress thought that was a good thing to do?!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Giving all heavy assaults max rank of nanoweave for free would make all HA that much more obnoxious to play against. This, combined with EMPs no longer effecting HA's mlg-shield, would make planetside infantry play totally dominated by nothing but HAs everywhere with a few HA support classes.

HAside has been intended for at least 2 years now, just embrace it or bail

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Get a scatter offhand, Grinder is fine (and cheapest), slap slugs on those bad boys and work toward exmags too and then just pop heads. Don't move too much while firing and crouch when you can - they're quite accurate if you're still and crouching but the COF blooms huge if you're moving. Be patient, fire slowly. It's 3 slugs to kill at any range. Don't go for headshots, you're more likely to miss those and slugs count as buckshot so they get half the multiplier everything else does

Charge is the only option, and I always ran flak but haven't played in awhile so maybe kinetic is a better choice now?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The PTS notes say EMPs no longer effect class ability fuel with the exception of cloaker fuel. They also now cost 75 nanites per EMP. More expensive than a flash.

Granted, EMPs were too cheap before. 75 nanites is a bit too much though, esspecially with the dumb nerf.

Epic High Five posted:

HAside has been intended for at least 2 years now, just embrace it or bail

I will instead just not do infantry fights as infantry anymore. HA is my least played, least favorite class to play even though I have tons of weapons unlocked for it and certs invested and everything.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 3, 2016

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Leal posted:

is this game even getting new blood?

I am new and terrible. Figure the best way to get my feet wet is either engineer dropping packs or medic pedaling green. Anyone have any protips on either one of these classes for new guys? I watched some of the training classes put out by PS2 but I lost faith in SoE after the new combat features in SWG.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
NC maxes: Hacksaws all day, everyday. Use charge to get in their face, then blast it off them. Hacksaws are automatic (rather than semi-auto) so their DPS is in a whole different league from the other NC weapons.

If you want to fight at a range that isn't "Slapfight" (but why would you? hacksaws own) get the Gorgons, they're insane and good against everything infantry & max at every range holey moley. (If you're cert-poor or dollar-poor, I recommend starting here)

...except literal vehicles, in which case you want Falcons (close-mid, plus they're dirt cheap) or Ravens (you're a masochist). (If you're Free-to-play, dual Falcons are 100 certs total and do a respectable job against infantry).

People who take scatter, grinder or -especially- mattock are more like heavily-armored snipers. Sure, you can kill at range, even surprisingly good range with slugs, but you have to carefully click heads, come to a dead stop and/or crouch to land those murder-headshots. Much more satisfying to get dual hacksaws and tear infantry in half like so many phone books. If you miss your headshots, you'll end up DPS-racing the enemy and against Heavies or other MAXs you've got kinda poor odds. Lastly, the blessed Saw up close will kill any other MAX before they can kill you.

Get Kinetic armor and get a friend to repair you; the other armors are trash and without a healbuddy you're basically on a quick timer before you die. Bullets are 95% of the things coming at you so it makes the most sense to armor up against them. Flak armor doesn't work against rocket direct hits (:soe:???:soe:), if it did it might be worth taking over kinetic, but you can survive several splash hits even with kinetic (and again, MAX flak doesn't work on direct hits. Infantry Flak armor does, but not MAX!). Just moving semi-erratically and playing peekabo gives you significant protection against rockets since 70% of players can't aim (and 10% of players never miss so flak still doesn't help).

This is the hill I will die on.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

NC maxes: Hacksaws all day, everyday. Use charge to get in their face, then blast it off them. Hacksaws are automatic (rather than semi-auto) so their DPS is in a whole different league from the other NC weapons.

If you want to fight at a range that isn't "Slapfight" (but why would you? hacksaws own) get the Gorgons, they're insane and good against everything infantry & max at every range holey moley. (If you're cert-poor or dollar-poor, I recommend starting here)

...except literal vehicles, in which case you want Falcons (close-mid, plus they're dirt cheap) or Ravens (you're a masochist). (If you're Free-to-play, dual Falcons are 100 certs total and do a respectable job against infantry).

People who take scatter, grinder or -especially- mattock are more like heavily-armored snipers. Sure, you can kill at range, even surprisingly good range with slugs, but you have to carefully click heads, come to a dead stop and/or crouch to land those murder-headshots. Much more satisfying to get dual hacksaws and tear infantry in half like so many phone books. If you miss your headshots, you'll end up DPS-racing the enemy and against Heavies or other MAXs you've got kinda poor odds. Lastly, the blessed Saw up close will kill any other MAX before they can kill you.

Get Kinetic armor and get a friend to repair you; the other armors are trash and without a healbuddy you're basically on a quick timer before you die. Bullets are 95% of the things coming at you so it makes the most sense to armor up against them. Flak armor doesn't work against rocket direct hits (:soe:???:soe:), if it did it might be worth taking over kinetic, but you can survive several splash hits even with kinetic (and again, MAX flak doesn't work on direct hits. Infantry Flak armor does, but not MAX!). Just moving semi-erratically and playing peekabo gives you significant protection against rockets since 70% of players can't aim (and 10% of players never miss so flak still doesn't help).

This is the hill I will die on.

Either armor works good, but if you're aiming for the head you're screwing yourself, especially at any range past spitting distance. The multiplier ain't worth the increased chance of a missed shot

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Falcons are 100 certs? They're showing up as 1000 for me. Just about every weapon is 1000 aside from a handful. They used to price these things pretty variable but it seems like they know where their bread and butter are and made them all 1000 certs to encourage people who doesn't have much time to buy them with cash money.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I got a hackusation so amazing that the guy told me that the DBG devs are letting people hack because they do it themselves in their spare time, and they just want to gently caress with the playerbase. THEY'RE IN ON IT, MAN!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

The PTS notes say EMPs no longer effect class ability fuel with the exception of cloaker fuel. They also now cost 75 nanites per EMP. More expensive than a flash.

Granted, EMPs were too cheap before. 75 nanites is a bit too much though, esspecially with the dumb nerf.

I will instead just not do infantry fights as infantry anymore. HA is my least played, least favorite class to play even though I have tons of weapons unlocked for it and certs invested and everything.

So... lets update the list

What a great way to balance the game!

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...

Eww.
Don't use gorgons as NC, Slug grinders/mattocks are better in pretty much every way. Unless you are trying to do AV, use Falcons/Ravens then.
:colbert:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Giving all heavy assaults max rank of nanoweave for free would make all HA that much more obnoxious to play against. This, combined with EMPs no longer effecting HA's mlg-shield, would make planetside infantry play totally dominated by nothing but HAs everywhere with a few support classes to support the HAs.

The time to fixnerf HA was 3 years ago.

PS2 is hanging on by a thread. They won't make an unpopular decision like nerfing the class that is 50% of all infantry play time.

If PS2 follows the same path every SOE/DBG game does you can expect more and more HA buffs until they finally hit a breaking point and ultra-nerf HA. Killing their remaining playerbase.

Accept it or move on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Class balance isn't all that terrible from what I've found, but blobbing is a huge problem. Since grenades cost resources now, rather than something you got back with engineer ammo packs, there isn't any real way of punishing that behavior while on foot. Thought I'm not sure what the solution is. Adding grenade launchers like in Planetside 1 would only add shitloads of grenade spam but then again it would only be good at chokepoints and if the damage wasn't high it could work. Maybe changing the respawn timer to what it was in Planetside 1 would be the key. If you respawn time when up with each consecutive death then people may play smarter.

But who knows. NC as a whole has always been a blunt instrument. Coordination is few and far between with this side.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bring back plasma/frag thumpers. :getin:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Leal posted:

So... lets update the list

What a great way to balance the game!

that's why you bring the heavy pump shotgun :unsmigghh:

JuancitoEfectivo
Sep 3, 2011
im super happy that the I win grenades are finally getting nerfed. a 10 kph infiltrator with emp nade bando could shut down a point hold single handledly

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I honestly think the chassis upgrades should only have one level and be available to anyone. Being stuck on a 3 foot hill because these things have no loving horsepower to speak of is an exercise in frustration. Apparently this next big update is designed to address new player retention which is why a lot of classes and weapons are getting things that should have been there to begin with. Another good way is making all the vehicles handle not complete trash unless you have max rank chassis upgrades. People who play the game longer shouldn't be rewarded with a vehicle that handles like it should right off the bat.

Oh and a "look behind" button for vehicles. That'll help too.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm amazed that this thread is still going with the same drat thread title. I guess nothing happened after hossin?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lots of stuff happened but the op quit soon after the hossin update.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Mods should just change it to "Planetside 2: HA Still Not Nerfed" that way it stays relevant for the future.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Planetside 2: Wrel what did you expect?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

does GOKU still live or should I go back to playing overwatch cause I'm missing those drops

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Um, it's clearly just a screenshot of Emerald play, with VS winning with 5:1 zerg against a completely disorganized NC that is wandering around aimlessly. :smugbert:

Oh hey, they took a screenshot of Periphery in action.

I think you guys are missing the most important thing in the dev notes:

Lima posted:

Their livestream just began. Wrel has already burned TouretteCube in the chat :v:

https://www.twitch.tv/planetside2

Upcoming construction buildings:
- Reinforcement needed beacon
- Spawntube
- :siren::siren::siren:VEHICLE RAMPS:siren::siren::siren:
- Faction flags, cosmetic only, will probably be DBC-only.
- Blast walls. Smaller wall sections.
- Ion towers, siege weapons.
- Orbital strike module. Radius builds up slowly, up to 500m over 30-45 minutes ish.
- Indirect artillery. Needs to be lased, takes time and cortium to build up.

Revamped implant system.
- No fine details yet, but they want to get rid of energy and remove the annoyance about it. Will be changed over the next few months.

Rocklet rifle.
- Will be given all LAs in the tool slot. Wont have movement bloom. Will have specialty faction specific ammo.

New body types.
- Will allow completely new body armors, new backpacks, shoulderpads, kneepads, etc.

Other stuff:
- Stealable neutral base cores.
- Vehicle hacking.
- Changes to third person vehicle camera.

- Possibly free server moves.

- The dev team is growing. New designers, artists etc starting over the next month. Ketmo returns to the company.

- Contest winner name is "Johari Cove".

IT BEGINS. :toot:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 4, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It's good to know that air autists still get mad about lock ons in TYOOL 2016.

Here, after getting a wild hair and realizing air assets were half off, I'd pull a reaver and try to shoot down a particularly annoying liberator. Fuckboy Rahsun swoops in for the save, but not before I get a lock on into his nose and he flies into me. Queue the a bloo bloo'ing about lock ons.

Shortly thereafter, I pull another Reaver and he shoots me down, because his autism is far too powerful in the air. More so than my own. I have 3.5 years in this game, and less than an hour spent in a Reaver.

Now we get into the internalized defense mechanisms that comes with air autists defending their shrieking about lock ons. Note his use of 'grounded' like he's a legit aviator or something. Man, these guys really don't like lock ons!

Finally we start to see his desperate self-assurance of how air to air lock ons will be nerfed against other aircraft. Seems illogical considering Tomcats are meant to defeat air craft, but whatever. I don't follow patch notes or fly enough to care.

I'd like to point out that the autistic air community has redefined bitching/whining. Now, rather than bitch/cry/moan about lock ons being in the game, they now shame people who use them. Yes, no more will you be bitched at for being so dishonorable as to use a lock on, no. Now you're shamed for doing so.

He finally gives up and decides that not only has he successfully shamed me, but also shamed a 5 year old.

If anything, I am reminded why I stay the gently caress out of the sky. It's shitlord country. Then, I'm encouraged to fly nothing but A2A lock ons because this was amazing. It's better than getting a hackusation from a clueless infiltrator who doesn't get that he's not totally invisible.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 4, 2016

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Someday, people will realize that trying to shame people in video games does nothing but give others more reason to continue trouncing them.

Oh no wait that will never happen. At least I can still feel good when I get kicked from CSGO servers when I'm having an unusually good day.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Your fault for playing any iteration of counter strike. Have anything remotely resembling ability and you're a hacker.

Get banned.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

That's what EMP Shield is for.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Also not being a clusterfuck of people with their guns up each others orifices just to fill the point.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Could we NOT kink shame?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

I am reminded why I stay the gently caress out of the sky. It's shitlord country. Then, I'm encouraged to fly nothing but A2A lock ons because this was amazing. It's better than getting a hackusation from a clueless infiltrator who doesn't get that he's not totally invisible.

I'm someone who used to fly a scythe a gently caress ton back in the day and I completely agree with you. I have tons of certs invested in my scythe, my duel photon pods are still my #1 most kills weapon of all time STILL after multiple years straight without using them (likely because they were bonkers-OP back then). The "AIR GAME" is a totally different game, very disconnected from the rest of planetside (much like the autists flying up there). The skill ceiling is ridiculously high, and staying competitive as a pilot is very demanding and stressful as you have to be hyper-aware of everything.

So I just quit and never looked back. I'm a flash sperg now and it's much more fun and easier. Its like ground fights are parties happening on boats, with babes dancing and people having fun and all, and the air game is like swimming with the sharks. The sharks will never bother you if you never go in the water. At least that's how it feels when I'm wraith flashing.

JuancitoEfectivo posted:

im super happy that the I win grenades are finally getting nerfed. a 10 kph infiltrator with emp nade bando could shut down a point hold single handledly

Now those point holds will be determined by how much more HA/MAX samurais one side has.

gently caress. This wasn't even needed. EMP shield is already ridiculously good at completely nuetralizing EMPs. Now they might as well go back to using battlehardened 100%. With all the EMP changes that are on PTS, the only bit I'm pissed about is them not effecting HA winshields anymore.

AND every HA is getting max rank nanoweave for free. gently caress everything.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 5, 2016

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm glad I'm not a planetside 2 player.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
lol at the idea of calling construction walls Trump Walls.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

lol at the idea of calling construction walls Trump Walls.

Make the TR/VS pay for it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

lite_sleepr posted:

Your fault for playing any iteration of counter strike. Have anything remotely resembling ability and you're a hacker.

Get banned.

Hey, as long as it's only kicks, I regard it as the only way to win CSGO. Bans can be appealed.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Just you wait til they read my posts about upping the TTK on everything then this game will rock.

They'll also finally remove those giant bones on indar to cause we all know that shits a lie, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Arghy posted:

They'll also finally remove those giant bones on indar to cause we all know that shits a lie, haha.

Give galaxies a chemtrail sprayer.

• Locked thread