Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hand Row posted:

As stated already the company was sold but Raviga gets the entire million.

Bachmanity bought all of Ravinga's shares, but isn't it common for employees at a startup like this to get paid partially in stock? Those shares wouldn't disappear if the majority owner sells out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

withak posted:

Bachmanity bought all of Ravinga's shares, but isn't it common for employees at a startup like this to get paid partially in stock? Those shares wouldn't disappear if the majority owner sells out.

They did disappear. The entire company was sold, not Raviga's shares. When they sold, there was some language in the company charter or whatever that said Raviga would be able to get as much of its initial investment back as possible. That means there's no money for anyone else's shares. So their shares were sold and they got no money. Erlich and Bighead have all the shares right now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In reality that wouldn't be able to happen with a simple board vote, but this is a tv show. Sort of like how it was OK for Laurie to buy Russ' shares without a board meeting. Just wouldn't happen.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Richard always owned the majority of the stock, it's still his company he just didn't control the board following the contract with Raviga.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Richard always owned the majority of the stock, it's still his company he just didn't control the board following the contract with Raviga.

Then why does he ask Erlich about getting his stock reinstated?

Raviga controlled the board 3 to 2 and used their majority to force a sale of the entire company, not just their stock. The wanted out because of the fraud and the only way to get any substantial money back is to sell the whole company, not just the Raviga shares. VCs pretty much always have a clause where their investment is repaid before any other shareholders see the proceeds of a sale. Now Erlich and big head each own 50%.

Capitalism is lovely.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Not that it will matter in any way in the show, but do they really own it 50/50? I assumed that Bachmanity owns 100% of the company, and they jointly decide what to do with the shares.

Even more irrelevant business talk: Wouldn't the proceeds from the blog sale be taxed before they are spent on PP?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rexides posted:

Not that it will matter in any way in the show, but do they really own it 50/50? I assumed that Bachmanity owns 100% of the company, and they jointly decide what to do with the shares.

Even more irrelevant business talk: Wouldn't the proceeds from the blog sale be taxed before they are spent on PP?

They would be taxable that year, but it wouldn't be taxed straight away. ANd the details of the Bauchmanity partnership was they both have equal stakes in everything. Remember, his business manager told him he was basically getting married to Erlich.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Hmmm so now Gavin is the boss of the tech blogger they used to out him as a scum? What could go wrong? "Hey tech blogger whose blog i own, what was the source?"

Except that he only bought her out due to the dirt she has on him. Not really a position of power. :v:

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Did the last two episodes feel overly rushed for anyone else? Daily Active Users and the finale just felt like they existed to check off plot points to resolve with the bare minimum of humor that's usually defines the show. Especially compared to the last season finale that is mainly focused on the trial and then spent 10 seconds setting up the next season with the "oh apparently I got fired" line, these last two episodes just felt like they lacked any focus. The plot advances from Pied Piper being amazing if it can be understood to fake users to VC fraud to pivoting to a video application without letting any of the characters be themselves outside of Erlich's speech and Dinesh and Gilfoyle's confrontation with Richard.

These season just included so many characters that really don't need to exist, Gavin is so barely tangentially related to the plot and yet gets so much screen time, Action Jack did not need to come back if someone at Hooli just got wind of the box deal, etc...this season had it's moments but it ended up as a much weaker and less funny show than it was in any of the previous seasons.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Angrymantium posted:

Did the last two episodes feel overly rushed for anyone else? Daily Active Users and the finale just felt like they existed to check off plot points to resolve with the bare minimum of humor that's usually defines the show.

A little... but I'm OK with that. They ran out of episodes, and at a certain point you can't just keep juggling all the balls. At the end of the season, you have to catch some and toss some away. Had they not focused on resolving plot lines, the finale wouldn't have felt much like a finale.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Solice Kirsk posted:

They would be taxable that year, but it wouldn't be taxed straight away. ANd the details of the Bauchmanity partnership was they both have equal stakes in everything. Remember, his business manager told him he was basically getting married to Erlich.

Plus there's some loophole about if you reinvest it that year, so selling one business and immediately buying another would get you out of a lot of the taxes.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

ElCondemn posted:

We don't know what the user interface is like, we have a screenshot from the promotional website to go on. But based on the reactions in the test group, Monica's reaction, and everything else the show itself has shown us (not including the supplemental marketing poo poo we've seen) the actual product/service is unknown. For all we know they problem isn't the UI, the problem might be that they're marketing to the wrong people, or the software doesn't work for what they're trying to do, or it's doing too much, or too little, or X or Y. We have no idea because the show has not given us enough information.

The screenshot we see looks like a compression program of some kind, but all the discussion on the show seems to indicate it's a dropbox like service, but also at times like some kind of streaming service. I'm just saying it makes no sense to argue about what they're doing wrong, because the show hasn't explicitly stated what is wrong with what they're doing.

No the problem was the interface turns out lol loving nerds are so out if touch with reality.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hed posted:

Gavin's mafioso security guy (Hoover?) is a really underrated character who was cast really well.

He's one of my favorite parts (even though he's relatively new) of the show now and they use him in the perfect amount (aka the "Jean Ralphio Ratio").

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

blunt posted:

Then why does he ask Erlich about getting his stock reinstated?

Raviga controlled the board 3 to 2 and used their majority to force a sale of the entire company, not just their stock. The wanted out because of the fraud and the only way to get any substantial money back is to sell the whole company, not just the Raviga shares. VCs pretty much always have a clause where their investment is repaid before any other shareholders see the proceeds of a sale. Now Erlich and big head each own 50%.

Capitalism is lovely.

I don't know and honestly have no clue how this poo poo works and how much power the board has but the whole thing in the first season irt to Peter Gregory and Raviga was that he invested 500k in the company for 5 or 10% of the shares at a 5 million or so valuation, I presume that a VC (being the guys who actually put the money in) can control the board and thus the company through contractual obligations but shouldn't Richard still be the majority shareholder?

I don't really remember how the whole Russ plot wound up tbh. I rewatched Season 1 a few months back but never got to rewatching season 2.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This happens very very rarely in the real world and if Richard had been any kind of a decent CEO it never would have happened. Typically a simple majority board vote isn't enough to sell the entire company without a separate vote of outstanding shareholders, but that poo poo needs to be in the partnership agreement and since Richard used Raviga's lawyer instead of his own (think I'm remembering that right) it very well could have been structured as represented on the show. Not to mention it's rare that all board members are interested parties for exactly this type of reason (though in nonpublic partnerships it's a little more common).

Really, the trick is not to think about it too much because it may not be realistic but it's not flat out retarded or anything like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind that Russ drew up all the rules as it relates to the board so anything that seems off, we can just attribute it to him being lovely.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well there ain't no board anymore. Unless Erlich and Big Head want one I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now there isn't, no. But there was at the time of the sale.

We can only assume that Russ structured it in a way that liquidates all shares in the event of a full company sale.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Now there isn't, no. But there was at the time of the sale.

We can only assume that Russ structured it in a way that liquidates all shares in the event of a full company sale.

Russ or Raviga, but yeah.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

BonoMan posted:

He's one of my favorite parts (even though he's relatively new) of the show now and they use him in the perfect amount (aka the "Jean Ralphio Ratio").

Holy poo poo this guy is spot on. Hoover is Jean Ralphio.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

The Mandingo posted:

Holy poo poo this guy is spot on. Hoover is Jean Ralphio.

If anyone is Jean Ralphio it's Russ.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I love how Gavin Belson said he likes round numbers before offering $1 million exactly for Pied Piper, then Ehrlich wins it by offering $1,000,001.

Did Ehrlich know exactly how much Belson was bidding when he made the offer or did he just get lucky and bid all of his money plus $1?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I love how Gavin Belson said he likes round numbers before offering $1 million exactly for Pied Piper, then Ehrlich wins it by offering $1,000,001.

Did Ehrlich know exactly how much Belson was bidding when he made the offer or did he just get lucky and bid all of his money plus $1?

BigHead was in the room when Richard found out about the $1mil bid, so Erlich waited till the last minute and dicked Gavin over like a champ :)

Vintersorg posted:

The ball at the end of the episode.

"Always blue! Always blue! Always blue! Always blue!"

From a bit back, but I bought one of these on a whim and it's actually quite addicting.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's still a board. They just control all the seats.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why would there be if it's all owned by two people who basically have a common law marriage partnership? They can restructure the company however they want.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 1, 2016

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Maybe Erlich will institute a Holacracy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
He ain't no holocrac boy.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Chris Knight posted:

He ain't no holocrac boy.

What about holocronic?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Liquidation preferences are pretty common in VC companies, so it's not surprising that Richard (and anyone else holding common stock) got nothing after a forced sale when the value was severely distressed.

Now that Erlich and Big Head control all the equity in the company though, they can choose to issue new stock as compensation, which is what Jared meant by "restructuring the cap table" and everyone chiming in about getting their stock back. It's entirely up the Erlich and Big Head but since they basically have no money to pay anyone, it's assumed they will.give generous stock grants to keep everybody living there and working on PP.

It's not clear how they pay their bills, but I guess savings + paying no rent crashing at the house?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

mrmcd posted:

Liquidation preferences are pretty common in VC companies, so it's not surprising that Richard (and anyone else holding common stock) got nothing after a forced sale when the value was severely distressed.

Went back and watched the first episode of season 2 for some reason. This is actually what happened to the guy that Richard asks if he could have gone and asked for less money to avoid a down round, which causes said guy to have a breakdown in the middle of the bar.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and noticed that the actress who played Laurie was the crazy lady who wanted into the shelter. Just wanted to point that out, I guess. Have never seen her act in anything else.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow, I didn't catch that at all. I probably would have noticed if she was more logical about her situation.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

empty baggie posted:

Just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and noticed that the actress who played Laurie was the crazy lady who wanted into the shelter. Just wanted to point that out, I guess. Have never seen her act in anything else.

If you've seen Seinfeld she was the "Yadda yadda yadda" lady

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Craptacular posted:

What I find weird is that Raviga wouldn't go back to Gavin and say "We got a higher bid, raise your offer or you lose."

Laurie said they had a "no shop" clause with the $2M offer...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

$1,000,001 offer. A steal if you ask me.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Laurie is sort of a robot but she seemed to genuinely dislike Action Jack after the way he tried to force her into the box deal, so she might have been glad to have a good excuse to sell the shares to anyone else.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
How much do we need to read into this? Raviga and Hooli were getting stale as plot devices.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Raviga definitely was. I'm sure Hooli will still be a thing now that we're basically restarting from season 1. Gavin is gonna go completely crazy having it bought from underneath him.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
And, they have a product that goes head to head with a Hooli product and is clearly superior. Belson is probably gonna be driven crazy by this, and if Action Jack did the same deal he was doing for Pied Piper, Hooli may be blocked from using middle out in anything for 5 years.

Lots what ifs to be sure, but I don't think Hooli is out of play at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That would be so hilarious if Action Jack did the exact same deal with Hooli and Gavin doesn't realize it.

• Locked thread