Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Renfield posted:

Growing up in South-East London (solid Conservative), and living in North Kent for 20 years, working with the general public for the last 15, I'd say 52% is a very low estimate.

Not to the point of throwing dog-poo poo at a German grandma's window, but things like referring to the local shop as the 'paki shop'

Yeah, once you start going into casual racism we're looking at like 90% of the country minimum. Heck pretty sure you can find racist blind people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Tesseraction posted:

This thread. Not sure which specific poster I annoyed but Feels Good Man.

Only problem is now all of my posts are really tall. Breaks the flow IMO.

I keep thinking you're Horselord, so I'm perpetually doing double takes at what you post. First World Problems.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Renfield posted:

vv percent of the population that are racist

IMO most if not everyone is to some degree racist in their own heads, but what separates good person from bad person is the conviction to rise above such primitive us-vs-them tendencies instead of parading it around like it's something to be proud about

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, once you start going into casual racism we're looking at like 90% of the country minimum. Heck pretty sure you can find racist blind people.

not everyone is born blind altough it would be somewhat ironic

Prince John posted:

I keep thinking you're Horselord, so I'm perpetually doing double takes at what you post. First World Problems.

not if horselord had anything to say about it

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

qhat posted:

IMO most if not everyone is to some degree racist in their own heads, but what separates good person from bad person is the conviction to rise above such primitive us-vs-them tendencies instead of parading it around like it's something to be proud about

I'd agree - It's recognising your own bias and not letting it effect how you deal with people

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Prince John posted:

Stalin was a good Christian boy who never did anything wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

also HorseLord currently has a Sunday Sport "I shoved 10 creme eggs up me bum" article as an av thanks to the imperialism thread

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

TheRat posted:

Labour MP writes article in The Sun asking people to join the party to help remove Corbyn. I'm sure this wont backfire at all.

https://twitter.com/GloriaDePiero/status/749516836673380352

He did. Hislop & Co were mocking Corbyn and Rees-Mogg said that while they disagree on pretty much everything, he had great respect for Corbyn as a very principled man.

That's actually one of the only the only characteristic of Rees-Mogg I admire - he's honest and forthright. He's not someone who'll say something to win votes, his views may be garbage, but he doesn't bullshit excuses for what he thinks. He doesn't parrot whip lines to try to weasel a cabinet seat.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Tesseraction posted:

:eng101: I already got probated for a week for saying racism is about race, so lets not bring that question up again by mentioning blind people

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

winegums posted:

That's actually one of the only the only characteristic of Rees-Mogg I admire - he's honest and forthright. He's not someone who'll say something to win votes, his views may be garbage, but he doesn't bullshit excuses for what he thinks. He doesn't parrot whip lines to try to weasel a cabinet seat.

Yeah, I have a begrudging respect for the integrity of his character, thankfully his political opinions are true evil garbage so it's easy to let that outweigh the aforementioned respect.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

His views aren't actually garbage though. They're usually pretty stubborn arguments that are very difficult to refute.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Heck pretty sure you can find racist blind people.
You can find racist blind people just by looking at a list of former home secretaries.

Tesseraction posted:

Stalin was a good Christian boy who never did anything wrong.
I'm now imagining if The Dukes of Hazzard was set in the other Georgia for some reason.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Guavanaut posted:

You can find racist blind people just by looking at a list of former home secretaries.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

qhat posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

his gimmick is convincing himself that the well understood and explained bigotry of areas with low immigration are not simple bigotry from ignorance but rather a fully justified class sentiment, as he himself is one of those people.

It's incredibly stupid and obviously wrong. If you refuse to accept that immigration is a scapegoat for wider legitimate problems, then the debate is pointless, as there is no understanding involved. Immigration is not a problem and white british supremacists can go gently caress themselves on the matter.

There's certainly a point in that the public now appears to be mobilised on the issue and have Strong Feelings about it, but it's really hard to point out that the problem isn't legitimate without also explaining how modern politics works. At which point people just fundamentally decline the answer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

qhat posted:

His views aren't actually garbage though. They're usually pretty stubborn arguments that are very difficult to refute.

His support for zero-hour contracts and opposition to gay marriage, plus his support of UKIP come under garbage, but that might just be me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

qhat posted:

I think the thing is that his views are *conservative*. As opposed to the 'tell-any-lie-to-get-votes' neolib/capitalist line which every government since Thatcher has spouted.

He genuinely believes that small government is better.

He's wrong, but he's not saying it because a focus group said it was the best thing to say.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh yeah, when I say evil garbage, I don't mean that they're hollow lies or obvious bullshit, I mean that he favours things that would punish poor people.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

I think the thing is that his views are *conservative*. As opposed to the 'tell-any-lie-to-get-votes' neolib/capitalist line which every government since Thatcher has spouted.

This is basically it, he does obv. have bad views on things like gay marriage, but he's not really the kind of person to say random poo poo that can be refuted in ten seconds of research. He's the kind of conservative you'd would want to have in a debate because he's actually capable of opening up more realistic lines of argument rather than what just 'sounds' the best.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rakosi posted:

:eng101: I already got probated for a week for saying racism is about race, so lets not bring that question up again by mentioning blind people

Humanity doesn't have distinct races, soooooo

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The thing with it is that it makes it potentially possible to actually persuade him.

Whereas the 'any lie for power' type is unpersuadable because they don't care whether they're doing the right thing for everyone else as long as they're doing the right thing for them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rakosi posted:

I agree completely, and the fallout of the vote has really let the worms squirm out of the apple and they need to be dealt with.

But it is still insane to suggest that 52% of voters voted for Leave because of racist or bigoted reasons. I think the take away message from this vote is still being missed.

Migrants in smaller communities are more visible, and have potentially larger socioeconomic effects on those smaller communities than migrants to London or Manchester have on their communities respectively. This is the major reason why those communities with the least immigration complain about it the most, and almost universally so. There is a question of communal and social identity and self-determination in many parts of Britain that feel they have changed too fast for the native residents to be happy with. And it has been a concern which has since forever been hushed with "Not talking about it, bigot".

i respectfully submit that if someone starts voting UKIP the second someone called Wladislaw moves into town because the presence of one Eastern European accent is considered deleterious to their communal identity, then that person is a racist.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, Momentum are Militant reborn apparently & not SWP.

Nah, Militant were well-organised.

Seriously if Momentum were half as ruthless as Militant we wouldn't be in this situation right now.

(I know you're being sarcastic, but still)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The problem with England is that English people are all lazy shirkers. You can't even unclog your own toilet without needing a polish guy. gently caress off.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

The thing with it is that it makes it potentially possible to actually persuade him.

Whereas the 'any lie for power' type is unpersuadable because they don't care whether they're doing the right thing for everyone else as long as they're doing the right thing for them.

Personally i like listening to JRM because 1) I crack up everytime i hear his voice, and 2) it's good to hear a conservative argument presented in a way that makes sense, forcing me to reconsider my own position

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Jedit posted:

i respectfully submit that if someone starts voting UKIP the second someone called Wladislaw moves into town because the presence of one Eastern European accent is considered deleterious to their communal identity, then that person is a racist.

Rakosi is the guy who had a pages-long argument about how people who hated e.g. eastern europeans aren't racists because they're white.

but yes.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jose posted:

not if horselord had anything to say about it
:golfclap: nice

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

The problem with England is that English people are all lazy shirkers. You can't even unclog your own toilet without needing a polish guy. gently caress off.
Isn't that more to do with the systematic dismantling of the trades and apprenticeships for the water and gas boards than an inherent weakness of the English spirit?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Tesseraction posted:

dave chappelle was a prophet

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

dave chappelle was a prophet

speaking of I'm glad he's come back into stand-up, need to check some of that poo poo out

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
hmm

hmmmm

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

UnCO3 posted:

hmm

hmmmm

not gonna read this until someone can verify whether it's bullshit or not

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
People say there's an issue with foreigners in the UK but the EU's full of 'em!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Tesseraction posted:

My favourite thing is all the racists wrapping themselves in the flag of Saint George while telling foreigners to get out, ignoring that Saint George was born in Syrian Palestine.

A Muslim woman I know was told that she could only call herself British if she was descended from Anglo-Saxons.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

qhat posted:

not gonna read this until someone can verify whether it's bullshit or not
compare the last item on each list

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's great that now the UK finally has the chance to trade with countries outside the EU.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

A Muslim woman I know was told that she could only call herself British if she was descended from Anglo-Saxons.

Sucks to be a Celt right now, I guess.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

Sucks to be a Celt right now, I guess.

Actually, it's good

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Andrast posted:

It's great that now the UK finally has the chance to trade with countries outside the EU.

liz truss awakens in a cold sweat. her time has come.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

TinTower posted:

i think the queen's surname could be something like

saxe-coburg-gotha-Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg before they anglicized it

or something; philip is/was the prince of greece and denmark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

My dad also said the same thing, although he thought that celts should be permitted. And then he went on to say that hitler also viewed the celts as part of the master race lol.

• Locked thread