Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's a 3x weekend.

Also, kill 10, 20, 30, 40, then 50 ships across July and you earn yourself a free Mikasa and port slot (plus 40 flags and 1 mill credits on the way)

e: Looks like they've noticed ranked isn't going well, it's 2x commander xp for every ranked win all month too

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Welp, this puts it to rest. The arizona is poo poo and is just a money grab for people without much sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GS0ClyAx1c

TLDR: It has weaker stats in pretty much everything including shell flight time. This gives the lovely bonus that the arizona's ap shells also have less penetration compared to the new mex. Flamu comments that he had the joy in one game of shooting a yorck that was broadside to him and it actually bounced shells.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Does it at least have an extra-big death explosion?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Welp, this puts it to rest. The arizona is poo poo and is just a money grab for people without much sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GS0ClyAx1c

TLDR: It has weaker stats in pretty much everything including shell flight time. This gives the lovely bonus that the arizona's ap shells also have less penetration compared to the new mex. Flamu comments that he had the joy in one game of shooting a yorck that was broadside to him and it actually bounced shells.

In that video, are those blue tracers some mod or some special snowflake Arizona thing?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Rorac posted:

In that video, are those blue tracers some mod or some special snowflake Arizona thing?

It's a mod. You can tell he has mods because he has the directional green/yellow/red indicator on the enemy ships. That's a blue AP, orange HE tracer mod, which is probably my favorite one of the entire modpack, as it's directly useful.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

TheDemon posted:

It's a mod. You can tell he has mods because he has the directional green/yellow/red indicator on the enemy ships. That's a blue AP, orange HE tracer mod, which is probably my favorite one of the entire modpack, as it's directly useful.

And it'll be integrated into the game next patch. The other mod that is useful he uses (and coming soon) is if you watch dd smokes. There is a dotted circle to mark where the smoke border is.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

FYI, if you were a dumb whale (like me) and bought the Texas when it was first in the store, you'll have the opportunity to purchase the USA USA USA USA camo for it individually (for 1k dubloons) when 0.5.8 launches.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I am absolutely buying a :911: camo for that or any boat

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Anyone want to extract me GameParams.data or whatever it's called from res_packages folder in 0.5.8 public test? You'll have to use http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/49179-mods-in-wows-055/ this official program though. GameParams should be around 1.5 MB.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 2, 2016

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'm thinking of getting the 5 point concealment skill for my north carolina, and throwing on the concealment mod as well; can someone tell me whether or not that's a stupid idea?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Ghetto Prince posted:

I'm thinking of getting the 5 point concealment skill for my north carolina, and throwing on the concealment mod as well; can someone tell me whether or not that's a stupid idea?
I use concealment setup on Iowa. It's hilariously fun, but you have to read the map skillfully or you're going to be an easy target for destroyers.

This is NC stats if you want to use concealment setup.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't wait to get a captain with AFT into my new Texas.

I also kind of wish they discounted the 'Starter Packs' to adjust for the in-game discount on the equipment.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 2, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Phew, finally some time to myself. Been lost in tanks for the past week as its the only game that's given me matches that could fit into the small time windows I had available. Now I've got a week off and missions to grind.

Already my aiming is off, and I'm not multitasking as well as I did before. I'll have to ease myself back into the game.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that happens to me every time I take a couple of weeks off except I am mostly bad even when I am consistent so two weeks off = entry level drooling windowlicker.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I keep trying to like the Ognevoi and its not happening. Its nice beating on other DDs, but they aren't around, it doesn't have the agility or turret rotation to harass other ships.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Does the Budyonnyy's B hull get a better rudder? If not, I may abandon the Soviet cruiser line.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just had a 4000xp loss in ranked, because my Sims hit a 1300hp Colorado 35 times with HE and didn't do a single tick of damage, hits from stem to stern.

e:But that's ok because I followed it up with an 11k xp win and survived with 8hp

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 2, 2016

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

CitizenKain posted:

I keep trying to like the Ognevoi and its not happening. Its nice beating on other DDs, but they aren't around, it doesn't have the agility or turret rotation to harass other ships.

Your goal should basically be to stay at 13-14km and bombard battleships/cruisers. You can still manage to do decent damage and distract them from shooting at your teammates. Even without agility, you're a pain in the rear end to hit at that distance.

Also, the Mogami isn't great with 8" guns, but it feels a lot more bearable. At least you can do some maneuvering and keep your guns on target with the 8"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Sperglord Actual posted:

Does the Budyonnyy's B hull get a better rudder? If not, I may abandon the Soviet cruiser line.

If you click on the hull in the module screen, it will show the new stats on the right. I'm pretty sure it does though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, this battle was certainly a thing.

Why yes, that is 11 battleships + a Kagero vs. 10 battleships + a Hipper and Shimakaze. Both teams ended up with 2 Montanas and 2 Yamatos, along with an assortment of T9s and 8s. To put it bluntly, it was a clusterfuck, with one of our Yamatos very quickly getting detonated by an enemy one. Our Kagero died early as well somehow to the same Yamato. Still, it ended up as a win and one of the highest exp totals I've ever gotten.

Special thanks to a Montana clearing an island headed the opposite direction from me at under 9 km and giving me a beautiful broadside. And thanks to RNGesus for the Detonation of the Shimakaze when I hit it with a full HE broadside.

edit: Replay uploaded, in case anyone is curious and/or wants to critique me. http://wowreplays.com/Replay/10798

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 3, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I'd expect that kind of matchup from a ranked battle. That's insane.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Reminds me of when the Tirpitz was released and you'd see 6-8 of them per team on average.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I should have screenshotted a match from this morning I had. It was a tier 7 match. Except it wasn't. There was one tier 7 on both teams. It was a pensacola on the enemy team. I have no idea how the matchmaker came up with that set up.

It also just affirms how much I can't wait for the matchmaker update in the next patch.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
We're up 60 points with three minutes to go, after an insane comeback

All we have to do is all drive south to win! You could set waypoints and walk away and win this game

With 1:00 left our northernmost cruiser runs aground :gonk:

With 0:02 left he's torpedoed and explodes, we lose :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

General Battuta posted:

We're up 60 points with three minutes to go, after an insane comeback

All we have to do is all drive south to win! You could set waypoints and walk away and win this game

With 1:00 left our northernmost cruiser runs aground :gonk:

With 0:02 left he's torpedoed and explodes, we lose :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

Ugh, that is the worst. Even worse than the 120K+ defeats.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

CitizenKain posted:

If you click on the hull in the module screen, it will show the new stats on the right. I'm pretty sure it does though.

Spent some free XP, it's better now.

Have these been shared yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6RAfIwsnR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=670WR7NgKpw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEbWz4ulESM

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Turns out the reward for shooting down 100 planes this weekend is 1 million credits; I was kind of freaking out when I saw I got 1.3 million credits in my 9k xp benson game.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So after struggling like gently caress to get from ranked 17 to 15, I took some advice from the mighty Blinks and started to play with my Minekaze instead of glorious Nurnberg. I had been up and down so many times, got to within 1 star of 15 then went back to 18 after just pulling some utter idiot teams. First game in the DD, 11k exp win. Second 6k exp win. Third 6k exp win, fourth, and HELLO FLAG, 6k win.

I am not the best DD player by a mile, but seriously, you want to do ranked up to level 15? Get the Minekaze, pimp it out and just own fools.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

It's not that Aobas too fragile, it's that my play style is naturally more suited to BBs. Like, there's a point in the game where I stop being cautious and sometimes I'll get punished for it. Good to know the Russian cruiser style, doesn't sound like my bag.

For BBs I just got into NewMex (having a hard time there, but my teams keep melting) and I'm running the Fuso which is very nice. Thing is I prefer cruiser guns. The rng combined with long load times makes it a slog. The spotter plane and the longer range make the Japs a more enjoyable experience, so far I've not liked the USN BBs despite wanting too.

MrKatharsis posted:

^^^It's yours. Shoot me a PM and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks!

DiHK fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 3, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Reportedly, the USN BBs start hitting their stride at tier 8. Kind of the same for their carriers too though.

Until then, there is a higher chance of dealing with teams where you and the rest of the BB line is left alone against half the enemy team because your cruisers and DDs had to go fast then yell at you sniping when the reality is just you hadn't gotten there due to plodding top speeds.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

JuffoWup posted:

Reportedly, the USN BBs start hitting their stride at tier 8. Kind of the same for their carriers too though.

Until then, there is a higher chance of dealing with teams where you and the rest of the BB line is left alone against half the enemy team because your cruisers and DDs had to go fast then yell at you sniping when the reality is just you hadn't gotten there due to plodding top speeds.

Tier 8 is when the US BBs start to catch up to the IJN fleet in terms of speed, they also get significantly more accurate from that point on.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

New York, Texas, New Mex, and Colorado are perfectly good ships, even taking into account their achilles' heel of slow top speed. I would prefer the Texas and New Mex over their IJN counterparts.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Finally back from traveling for 1.5 months. I was jonesing hard for hot seamen ship action

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Aoba's fine, it's a better Furutaka. You just need to remember your turrets don't rotate as fast.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Pacra posted:

New York, Texas, New Mex, and Colorado are perfectly good ships, even taking into account their achilles' heel of slow top speed. I would prefer the Texas and New Mex over their IJN counterparts.

Even in games with carriers I'd rather be in a kongo than a texas, the low speed and long reload really kill that ship for me.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

I should have screenshotted a match from this morning I had. It was a tier 7 match. Except it wasn't. There was one tier 7 on both teams. It was a pensacola on the enemy team. I have no idea how the matchmaker came up with that set up.

It also just affirms how much I can't wait for the matchmaker update in the next patch.

In the past week ive had a couple matches in the Udaloi where I was the only tier 9 on the team, and the other side would have like an Ibuki or Baltimore. It was glorious.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't think about it often but that slow speed on the USN BB is a big part of why I like the IJN BBs better at the tier I'm at.

For me the Aoba is way better than the Furrytaco. It's been a while since I drove it but IIRC the Furrytaco was more fragile. OTHO ots a great boat to learn how to aim on.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

-Troika- posted:

The Aoba's fine, it's a better Furutaka. You just need to remember your turrets don't rotate as fast.

But youve got twice the rate of fire.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

DiHK posted:

It's not that Aobas too fragile, it's that my play style is naturally more suited to BBs. Like, there's a point in the game where I stop being cautious and sometimes I'll get punished for it. Good to know the Russian cruiser style, doesn't sound like my bag.

For BBs I just got into NewMex (having a hard time there, but my teams keep melting) and I'm running the Fuso which is very nice. Thing is I prefer cruiser guns. The rng combined with long load times makes it a slog. The spotter plane and the longer range make the Japs a more enjoyable experience, so far I've not liked the USN BBs despite wanting too.

Thanks!

Totally fair points, I tried to like BB's but I found them too confining. You're basically forced to pick a direction and stick with it since you can't get around the map like a cruiser can. You're also screwed if your cruisers don't focus down the enemies destroyers (which they never will) or if you go up against a good cruiser player who will burn your down while dodging all your shots. I got up to the N.C. and Amagi and it seems like the higher you go, the worse it gets since cruisers get even bigger guns and destroyers get even better stealth/torp combos. I find I'm much more useful going DD or cruisers since I can go where the fight needs me and I can deal with pretty much anything out there without relying on my team to do their jobs.

As for BBs, I liked the US tree a LOT more than the Japanese. The US felt like they had way more armor and much better guns, the Japanese had more speed and longer range, but that didn't really count for much since I'd always try to close in. There were a few BBs that were real standouts though, the Kongo was an absolute joy to drive and I'd take it over the NY any day. The Fuso was definitely good times, but for brawling I'd take the N.M. I hated the Nagato though, the Colorado had it beat in pretty much everything. Colorado was only a little slower, had much better armor, much better accuracy (at least for me) and the better range of the Nagato was completely invalidated by the Colorado's badass armor.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

JacksLibido posted:

Totally fair points, I tried to like BB's but I found them too confining. You're basically forced to pick a direction and stick with it since you can't get around the map like a cruiser can. You're also screwed if your cruisers don't focus down the enemies destroyers (which they never will) or if you go up against a good cruiser player who will burn your down while dodging all your shots. I got up to the N.C. and Amagi and it seems like the higher you go, the worse it gets since cruisers get even bigger guns and destroyers get even better stealth/torp combos. I find I'm much more useful going DD or cruisers since I can go where the fight needs me and I can deal with pretty much anything out there without relying on my team to do their jobs.

As for BBs, I liked the US tree a LOT more than the Japanese. The US felt like they had way more armor and much better guns, the Japanese had more speed and longer range, but that didn't really count for much since I'd always try to close in. There were a few BBs that were real standouts though, the Kongo was an absolute joy to drive and I'd take it over the NY any day. The Fuso was definitely good times, but for brawling I'd take the N.M. I hated the Nagato though, the Colorado had it beat in pretty much everything. Colorado was only a little slower, had much better armor, much better accuracy (at least for me) and the better range of the Nagato was completely invalidated by the Colorado's badass armor.

The nagato is total garbage until you get at least the B hull, but after that it ourclasses the colorado for everything except getting shot in the belt and shooting airplanes.

Though battleships in general suffer greatly in that there's little they can do to find DDs on their own while simultaneously not posing much of a threat to them even if you do happen to spot one.

Also RE: cruisers burning you to death, I've found that excepting situations where theres 4-5 ships hitting you from multiple directions and starting 3-4 fires on you constantly, fire doesn't pose much of a threat to battleships thanks to the fact that repair party can fix 100% of the damage you take from the fires.