Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i'm kinda worried about bad commentary for freedom planet because while the run is excellent, I know Fladervy pretty well and dude doesn't speak great English and is really loving shy. I'm hoping his co-comm and the special guest (which you probably know about already if you follow my twitter but i'm gonna be coy for fun) can carry the run for him.

ganbatte fladervy

It shouldn't be a problem if the couch and the runner talk about this beforehand and say, okay, you can focus on playing if you want, we'll handle the talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I love how they re-imagined the obnoxious laughing things from LTTP in ALBW.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Iwish I could make your posts grow bright gold like mine
edit: blueglass :3:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Please stop posting my couch pics, thanks.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Sage Grimm posted:

Eh, mileage may vary. I don't mind the guy on the couch who talks the most but then he's been a commentator/player at these things for years. You get used to it.

Yeah, a lot of runners aren't good enough to talk and play all the time (hence the famous "serious time" requests) so the couch is supposed to fill in. But unless the runner set up their commentators ahead of time you get random other runners to fill in. If it's a well known, very popular game you can usually find someone who knows about the game, but sometimes you get guys who don't know what's supposed to be going on.

These guys aren't bad, but they're focusing on the run more than being entertainers.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

symbolic posted:

We don't talk about that anymore.

isn't that like the only run which hasn't been uploaded because it's that bad?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Me too but tbh the bloodborne run this year was really loving lame and was the most disappoiting part of agdq16 this year for me.

Sidenote, I mentioned how upset I was at this in the speedruns thread a very nice gentleman linked me some chinese runner's bloodborne all bosses + dlc WR and it was one of the hypest runs i have ever fuckin seen. I recommend it!!!!!!

I can't remember that run but I'll take your word for it - honestly BB seems like one of the worst games for a marathon like this because the difference between safe and regular strats can be so huge, and unlike the Souls games where you can generally kill most bosses without getting hit pretty consistently, in BB you're always at their mercy to some extent. So to avoid it going over-long and risking embarrassing deaths or worse the runners might do pretty boring and lengthy strategies.

Just a pity to miss out on all the teardrop shenanigans in DS3. The any% is only like 40 minutes long too.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

that seems like a cool couch imo

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

Your Computer posted:

isn't that like the only run which hasn't been uploaded because it's that bad?

something something LIABILITY

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Just a pity to miss out on all the teardrop shenanigans in DS3. The any% is only like 40 minutes long too.

I'm pretty sure DS3 was released after registrations were closed.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

I can't remember that run but I'll take your word for it - honestly BB seems like one of the worst games for a marathon like this because the difference between safe and regular strats can be so huge, and unlike the Souls games where you can generally kill most bosses without getting hit pretty consistently, in BB you're always at their mercy to some extent. So to avoid it going over-long and risking embarrassing deaths or worse the runners might do pretty boring and lengthy strategies.

it's probably a tough sell getting a gaame into a maarathon that just came out, what, 3 months before?

for any GDQ historians out there what are some examples for quickest turnaround of game release > marathon run? I would be very interested to know :)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
whoa i had no idea demon's soul is in this and is next!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

beep by grandpa posted:

Me too but tbh the bloodborne run this year was really loving lame and was the most disappoiting part of agdq16 this year for me.

Sidenote, I mentioned how upset I was at this in the speedruns thread a very nice gentleman linked me some chinese runner's bloodborne all bosses + dlc WR and it was one of the hypest runs i have ever fuckin seen. I recommend it!!!!!!

That's the lovely thing; Bloodborne all bosses is a great run to watch. Instead of doing that they ran a lovely any% run that just used a patched glitch to skip huge portions of the game. It sucks that we won't get to see a proper speedrun of the game that really shows off cool tech and player skill.

DS3 probably isn't being run just because of the release date and scheduling. I'm sure next AGDQ it'll show up. Its just a question of whether or not it will be all bosses or another any% run.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Zelda's up there and we're down here and link's in the painting and I JUST remembered that we're down here

what I wanna know is, where's the ganon?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Minrad posted:

Zelda's up there and we're down here and link's in the painting and I JUST remembered that we're down here

what I wanna know is, where's the ganon?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

smell this posted:

something something LIABILITY

The charity directly requested it not to be uploaded.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Oyster posted:

The charity directly requested it not to be uploaded.

Oh wow. I didn't know that. I figured they just kept it off because so many people complained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_WqMMBBUMY

In case anyone wants to relive that run or doesn't know what we're talking about

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Azazell0 posted:

It shouldn't be a problem if the couch and the runner talk about this beforehand and say, okay, you can focus on playing if you want, we'll handle the talking.

I have no idea how well they hashed that out in advance, since I know who the co-comm is and bluntly he doesn't really know a whole lot about Milla%. Maybe he swots up before the run, or gets notes or some poo poo but I dunno, I'm concerned. Would break my heart to have done a fair amount of liaising stuff to organise some poo poo for the run only it for to then be met with a "meh" reaction.

i'm more concerned about this than I should be, really but still I want this to go well for all of us in FP speedrunning.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What happened with the crash run that made it so terrible?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Andrast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_WqMMBBUMY

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

:stare:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Andrast posted:

The runner was basically having a nervous breakdown and saying some real awful poo poo during it. The run itself was also real bad, and technically was never completed because he died at the end and everyone was okay with just mercy killing it there.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Andrast posted:

Gpro is a retarded autist.

like that run is the most popular example of it but it's far from the only thing

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Crain posted:

Oh wow. I didn't know that. I figured they just kept it off because so many people complained.

In case anyone wants to relive that run or doesn't know what we're talking about

highlight reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_WqMMBBUMY

the full run:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILCWRZk9GUU

internet, swimming pool, piss, etc

edit: ha

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

It sucks that we won't get to see a proper speedrun of the game that really shows off cool tech and player skill.

Well, it's like how every fuckin' Resident Evil 4 run seems to be NG+. Like great, so we get to sit here for what, 2 hours or something while you just kill everything with your infinite ammo super weapons? Rad.

A NG/Professional run would be nice to see more often, but it's easier to take the dull route because it's safer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the guy made jokes about domestic abuse and killing himself, hosed up every single moment of the run, and then got on twitter to call people cunts and SJWs

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

was never completed because he died at the end and everyone was okay with just mercy killing it there.

Not even just that. He purposefully locked the game to kill the run and was just really unprofessional, bad jokes aside.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

the guy made jokes about domestic abuse and killing himself, hosed up every single moment of the run, and then got on twitter to call people cunts and SJWs

in his defense I do all of the above all day on SA and twitter but I have the sense to not do it at a live charity even where my name/face is shown and I am representing a charity drive worth millions

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna start to run crash 2 so I can do it at a gdq so I can break the curse that game has over it now

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mighty Dicktron posted:

technically was never completed because he died at the end and everyone was okay with just mercy killing it there.
Didn't he softlock the game at the end and basically just say "Yep, I beat the game, that was my intention to softlock it to end it"?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

this is a good angle of the runner

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

Was this the same guy who went up to Withhelde and was creeping on her super fuckin' hard or was that some other dude?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

OP why are we not allowed to see the crowd this year :mad:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
No more ds dad memes or ipad meme kids I guess

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

sout posted:

this is a good angle of the runner

Yeah, nothing like looking at the top of runner's head. Awkward for those who have bald spots.

Seriously, the camera angles need adjusting.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I have no idea how well they hashed that out in advance, since I know who the co-comm is and bluntly he doesn't really know a whole lot about Milla%. Maybe he swots up before the run, or gets notes or some poo poo but I dunno, I'm concerned. Would break my heart to have done a fair amount of liaising stuff to organise some poo poo for the run only it for to then be met with a "meh" reaction.

i'm more concerned about this than I should be, really but still I want this to go well for all of us in FP speedrunning.

I hope everything works out for you guys. I will probably be watching this run live, since it's evening euro time.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 3, 2016

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
The weirdest thing to me about that run is that he had another run earlier in the marathon and it was perfectly watchable.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
the lorule dungeons have some loving sick skips, can't wait

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

OP why are we not allowed to see the crowd this year :mad:

Maybe it's because of that one guy who would just constantly get in the camera 24/7 the entire week and make faces last event.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

Yeah, nothing like looking at the top of runner's head. Awkward for those who have bald spots.

Seriously, the camera angles need adjusting.

Well it's a DS game, so the set ups are screwed up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Dr. Dos posted:

The weirdest thing to me about that run is that he had another run earlier in the marathon and it was perfectly watchable.

Yeah, some dark poo poo must have happened in between his Sonic run and Crash Bandicoot run.

• Locked thread