Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

WarpedNaba posted:

I think there was a gif that sold me on Overwatch, and that was a play of a match (Winston) screen that cut to a Smash Bros game where Donkey Kong rails the absolute gently caress out of some nerd.

For those who never saw it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Zy1_AXLgw

poptart_fairy posted:

Speaking of Genji, is that weird goggle and floaty robe skin meant to be a specific reference?

I just assumed it's an anime Tusken Raider.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Overtime is dumb but as long as they leave it in you should absolutely make the most of it and be the biggest Tracer jerk you possibly can.

Winning is good, and demonstrating to Blizzard that their mechanic sucks and has unpleasant consequences is also good.

Couldn't disagree more. I love Overtime.
I won't mind if its tweaked but if Blizzard take the mechanic out I think the game will be MUCH worse off for it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I've yet to win a single competitive match after dozens of random matchups and I'm starting to think the problem is me....

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FElmjlzdSSM&t=125s

The overwatch character comparisons are killer

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 3, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I was just derping around solo for the placement matches, 8-2 and got rank60? Sweet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cardboard Box A posted:

This is a pro-click right here, and those comparisons are pretty damning :munch:.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

I was just derping around solo for the placement matches, 8-2 and got rank60? Sweet.

Ha, the same thing just happened to me. Had a good streak in the placement matches and got rank 60 out of nowhere. Time to get relentlessly stomped on until I settle down where I actually belong, probably somewhere in the low fifties.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Cardboard Box A posted:

As a wise man once said at launch, "Battleborn: the poor man's Overwatch if the poor man had 20 more dollars"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

how's the # of battleborn players holding up against the previous new titan of esports, Evolve

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

where are the new skins blizz

i got a 500 gold drop and i'm raring to buy a new genji skin

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is rank 1 a thing? Because people aren't particularly great in the mid-40s (I am the worst). I can only imagine 1 is a room full of people spinning around firing at the ground until one team accidentally wins.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rank 1 will be a turn-based version of Overwatch.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

I am pretty sure the normal OT timer shrinks faster as the OT fight drags on. Like early on it might drain in 5 seconds but you get less and less room for error as the attackers if the fight just keeps going. It definitely goes down to like 3 seconds after some period of time.
It does. I found this out in Pharmercy mode, where Overtime regularly lasts 5+ minutes

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
It is very telling to be complaining of horrible bad teammates in a game that has MMR

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Cage Kicker posted:

It is very telling to be complaining of horrible bad teammates in a game that has MMR

In my experience the complaints never stop. It's just that the lower your rank is the dumber the complaints get.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mega Comrade posted:

Couldn't disagree more. I love Overtime.
I won't mind if its tweaked but if Blizzard take the mechanic out I think the game will be MUCH worse off for it.

I don't really hate it, by far the more important part of that post is that you should play to win and if that leads to obnoxious gimmicks or an unbalanced situation it's the developer's problem, not yours.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

Only true in a transparent system where you can see all the mmrs

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
How you know you're going to win in competitive: Cooperative Spray Art

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ddraig posted:

Unless they patched it out recently, it's definitely the case. People just don't shoot Reinhardt's shield.

You can see it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FejcaA2Ai70

10 seconds in, Zarya bubbles Reinhardt. Soldier fires his helix rocket/fires at Reinhardt's shield (he doesn't actually hit Reinhardt or Zarya) and it instantly rockets Zarya up to 94 energy.

The shield is pointing towards the Bastion and the Soldier is coming from the spawn exit, so it might actually be hitting Reinhardts rear end instead of the shield.
I wouldn't count on it, honestly.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

mcbexx posted:

The shield is pointing towards the Bastion and the Soldier is coming from the spawn exit, so it might actually be hitting Reinhardts rear end instead of the shield.

If you slow it down to 0.25 speed it shows that Reinhardt moves the shield just enough for the Helix to hit it. Like I said, it's patched out now so RIP Zarya/Reinhardt stomps :(

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

mcbexx posted:

My understanding was this: If people shoot at the center of Reinhardt's shield while a Zarya barrier is active, Zarya will gain charge from it. The bubble sort of projects a tiny bit farther out than the shield. Hitting the edges of Rein's shield will not grant Zarya charge.

This was removed? Bummer.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Does the bubble actually change hitboxes at all?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't played comp mode yet, but I remember reading earlier in the week KOTH wasn't giving any points or some poo poo like that. Has that been fixed?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't played comp mode yet, but I remember reading earlier in the week KOTH wasn't giving any points or some poo poo like that. Has that been fixed?

Yes

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

resistentialism posted:

Does the bubble actually change hitboxes at all?

No, it's purely visual. Basically the bubble ability just makes all damage done to that person for its duration be transferred to Zarya's gun.

Doesn't matter if you hit them in the big toe or the head or even if you miss the bubble altogether and hit them directly, it will count.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
It's weird in competitive to have one person leave during the planning/setup/whatever stage then have the whole game canceled. Thanks nofunhaver!

Also: why didn't my "season 1 competitor" spray unlock after doing the placement matches?

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 3, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Please don't be that mercy that doesn't switch to pistol when it's needed. Sometimes you have to defend yourself when no one else can or pick off a weak fleeing enemy that you're closer to than anyone else. Also it's good for building charge when there's a lot of distance between teams. Just shoot the drat thing sometimes...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Please don't be that mercy that doesn't switch to pistol when it's needed. Sometimes you have to defend yourself when no one else can or pick off a weak fleeing enemy that you're closer to than anyone else. Also it's good for building charge when there's a lot of distance between teams. Just shoot the drat thing sometimes...

No, you do it.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Every time I hear Mei say on Lijiang tower "it's good to be back home" it always reminds me of the goons on this thread going on about how Mei is Canadian because someone, somewhere may or may not have stated that China took over Canada during the omnic crises.

Raise your hand if that was you because I want you to explain yourself. :colbert:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

lijiang tower is located in vancouver

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
GosuGamers' weekly NA tournament is starting in 20-30 minutes. The rules are actually a bit different this week, notably:

- Double elimination, though losers bracket is all KotH presumably for expediency
- No hero limits (previously 1-hero limit)
- All maps are legal (don't expect to see much 2cp though)

Also my team is playing in it!! wish me luck

e: stream https://www.twitch.tv/gosugamers

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 3, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's cool, it'd be neat if your team got casted

Ronnie posted:

Every time I hear Mei say on Lijiang tower "it's good to be back home" it always reminds me of the goons on this thread going on about how Mei is Canadian because someone, somewhere may or may not have stated that China took over Canada during the omnic crises.

Raise your hand if that was you because I want you to explain yourself. :colbert:

she's kiding

a real cameidian, that one

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Healed my way to 3-7 and was placed 46, which seems fair for a mediocre player with the support penalty.

I'm almost completely sure they just took the MMR they already had you pegged at then just moved you a bit off it based on your placement games. It's even probably the same comp system they show you after placements, they just hide it for 10 games.

Having played a few more matches, I can see how we got here, too. They apparently put a Hearthstone-style grind in place in Beta and everyone hated it. This is basically the opposite of that. It's just a more involved quickplay that awards a 1/300 of a cosmetic for winning. Seems OK and it'll probably be what 90% of the playerbase actually prefers once they work the bugs out. It'll never be absurdly sweaty, just the way to play when you feel like winning vs jerking around. Basically they split the game into Tryhard QP and Lolwhatever QP, and they put a very small benefit to winning in place.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Grammaton posted:

Also: why didn't my "season 1 competitor" spray unlock after doing the placement matches?

The spray and icon unlocks at the end of the season.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
3 games into competative. One game went really well. Next game was full of indignant Genjis. Third game had one guy saying "oh my goooood" into the mic as we got steam rolled for ten minutes. So far so good!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

nutranurse posted:

I've yet to win a single competitive match after dozens of random matchups and I'm starting to think the problem is me....

If you aren't getting a single gold, then you're probably performing less than the top three on your team.

Or you could just be getting poo poo on by random luck. Sometimes you just get stuck with career Genjis/DVA/Hanzo back to back to back.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's cool, it'd be neat if your team got casted

we're 2-0 right now so fingers crossed! please give your energy to oxx[]:::Knights of Goku:::>

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Countblanc posted:

we're 2-0 right now so fingers crossed! please give your energy to oxx[]:::Knights of Goku:::>

:yeah:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Vegeta is better so I hope you lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thor-Stryker posted:

Sometimes you just get stuck with career Genjis/DVA/Hanzo back to back to back.

One of my favourite things to do as Reinhardt is return self-destructing MEKA's back to their owner. Sometimes even run them over with it in the process :allears:.