Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FordPRefectLL posted:

The rumor on Reddit is that on July 1st rollover data is coming to Verizon

Oh cool!

I just pre-ordered the Moto G4+ from Best Buy, I think I should be able to use the SIM from my Turbo right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fordan posted:

Always do 10 digits. Hell, with how easy it is to roam internationally now with Verizon, always do "+1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx" so calls go through even when processed by foreign carriers.
All of my contacts are in that format, and any other numbers I call are 10 digits since my phone's area code is pretty far from where I live now.

I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and never get that error message! :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kensei posted:

Oh cool!

I just pre-ordered the Moto G4+ from Best Buy, I think I should be able to use the SIM from my Turbo right?

You should, yes.

Droid Life reported on reddit leak. Verizon has confirmed that 'something' is happening next week so it's likely all legit.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/06/29/verizon-may-introduce-carryover-data-free-roaming-throttled-unlimited-data-week/

It's only for the T-Shirt plans though. If you are any of the legacy plans, it likely won't apply.

There's more than just rollover data too, they are going to do "safety mode". Essentially, unlimited data returns (just throttled past your limit, no word yet how much.) It will be free if you are on the XL and XXL plans and a $5 /month feature on the lower plans.

I'm on an 8 gb promotional plan. With rollover data I would actually be better off on the 6g L plan though. My usage is typically a hair over 3gb a month on most months. So, with rollover, I would perpetually have almost 9gb of data available to me in any given month. So, I would essentially be gaining a gb of headroom for less money per month.

I'll be interested to see what the throttled speeds are with "safety mode". If it's a feature you can add and delete at any time, it seems like it would be better than shelling out for $15 of overages to get you through a few days as long as the phone was somewhat useful. Hell, even 1mbps would be considered "heavily throttled" since normal connections are >50mbps most of the time, but that would be plenty for chat, facebook, light web browsing, or even music streaming.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm gonna piss my jorts

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If this is true, I'm probably going to make the switch from Sprint. I've tolerated their poo poo-tier network away from home for long enough...

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I've got an iPhone6s and turned on wifi calling. I'm still on a 700 minute plan that I share with my whole family. I was hoping that by using wifi calling I could make more calls from home, but it's still taking out minutes from my pool. I chatted with customer service, and they said that's correct?
When I put the phone into airplane mode and turn on wifi, when I make a phone call the system icons show the airplane and "VZW Wi-Fi" and I can make a call. Can anyone help confirm or deny that those calls still use minutes?

If I turn off wifi calling and put it into airplane mode and turn on wifi, the phone will not let me place any calls.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Rollover data and safety mode would both really surprise me (especially safety) and make me extremely happy.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Safety mode sounds like the poo poo and I would immediately change from my More everything to the XL plan for that.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I did a beta test for Verizon a few months ago for no data charges when using certain items. This could be connected with that as well.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

What is safety mode

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

What is safety mode

No $15 charge per GB over your data plan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What will determine usefulness is how much it is throttled.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bull3964 posted:

What will determine usefulness is how much it is throttled.

56k speeds.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Hughmoris posted:

56k speeds.

I hope the phone makes the dial-up noises.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Luchadork posted:

I hope the phone makes the dial-up noises.

Same here, and hopefully the first 1,000 hours are free.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Just go back to the days when you were charged airtime for data rather than amount transmitted

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

Rollover data and safety mode would both really surprise me (especially safety) and make me extremely happy.

Oh hell yes! It sounds like the safety mode is a sort of pseudo-unlimited that I heard other cheaper carriers use (xGB of LTE, then unlimited at 128k or slower.) For basic web browsing and email that is fast enough to limp along.

Did Verizon dump their CFO Fran Shammo? His past comments about data rollover was basically pissing on customers.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 3, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Oh hell yes! It sounds like the safety mode is a sort of pseudo-unlimited that I heard other cheaper carriers use (xGB of LTE, then unlimited at 128k or slower.) For basic web browsing and email that is fast enough to limp along.

Did Verizon dump their CFO Fran Shammo? His past comments about data rollover was basically pissing on customers.

It'll be something similar to that. They updated employees on what is coming out, I'll update everyone on the 7th when they're launched. There's a few ins and outs.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Yeah apparently all employees know, but it's kinda like Watergate and if you tattle they come down on you with an iron fist

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

Yeah apparently all employees know, but it's kinda like Watergate and if you tattle they come down on you with an iron fist

Probably wouldn't get in trouble, but not worth risking the job and all that.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Saw this on Reddit

Verizon Corporate insider

July 7th new plans 30% more data including a 30gb $135 plan

Safety Net once customer reaches a certain amount of data the can use the My Verizon App to initialize it for $5 on plans $80 or lower. Anything above it is free. Speeds drop to 128kbs. You then are given the ability to manually accept and pay for 1 more gb at a 15gb charge.

Any plans 18gb or higher has that feature included and unlimited calling and text to, from and in Mexico as well as data usage on your normal data plan.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'd love to know if it includes more everything but probably not

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That safety mode is kinda weird where you need to manually turn it on each month, unless I am misunderstanding it.

I wouldn't mind just paying $5 more a month for it to be there waiting for me instead of needing to manually set it and whatnot.

If it does that but pops up a warning instead of automatically charging for overages that would be nice too. :shrug:

I'll wait till later in the week to see what's the deal.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 3, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Also what on earth is a "t-shirt plan"? Is that a bonus shirt they send customers?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
If it's free, idgaf if it says "mug me" on it.

Free clothes = goons best friend

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Wickerman posted:

If it's free, idgaf if it says "mug me" on it.

Free clothes = goons best friend

Maybe they send you a shirt each month or if you go over?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Also what on earth is a "t-shirt plan"? Is that a bonus shirt they send customers?
The M, L, XL data plans versus the old "More Everything" I think?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The M, L, XL data plans versus the old "More Everything" I think?

Oh I see. :downs:

I wonder if I can splurge and get the huge 6GB plan if they end up being cheaper!? :yayclod:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 3, 2016

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I guess this is more for Duckman than anyone else

But if 30GB is going down to $135 and I'm on 20GB for $140, is it easy to switch?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

I guess this is more for Duckman than anyone else

But if 30GB is going down to $135 and I'm on 20GB for $140, is it easy to switch?
Yes you can change your data plan at any time on Verizon's website in like 20 seconds.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes you can change your data plan at any time on Verizon's website in like 20 seconds.

Derp. I also keep forgetting that I'm not in a contract anymore, so switching poo poo up like that is insanely easy these days.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We are on an older nationwide plan (unlimited talk, text and 2GB). We have called into Verizon to see about switching to a new plan like More Everything (our contract ends in November) but two different CSRs told us that we could not switch plans until our contract ended.

During times like this, when they are introducing new set ups, will we be able to switch over or will we have to wait until November?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey I've gone one additional question: I am on a $60/m for 2GB data loyalty smartphone plan. With that plan I cannot use my iPhone as a hotspot - if I try turning that on it basically says I need to call Verizon to set that up. My understanding is that is specifically NOT included in the loyalty plan.

If I move to one of the aforementioned "t-shirt plans" would that allow me to use my iPhone as a hotspot to tether to?

I also cannot change my plan via the App, it says I need to call Verizon.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 4, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

If I move to one of the aforementioned "t-shirt plans" would that allow me to use my iPhone as a hotspot to tether to?
Yes.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We are on an older nationwide plan (unlimited talk, text and 2GB). We have called into Verizon to see about switching to a new plan like More Everything (our contract ends in November) but two different CSRs told us that we could not switch plans until our contract ended.

During times like this, when they are introducing new set ups, will we be able to switch over or will we have to wait until November?

That's pretty much bullshit. Just go into a corporate store. You gave been able to switch phone plans forever with or without contracts

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

30GB for $135 may be what it takes to pull me and my wife off unlimited.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Hey I've gone one additional question: I am on a $60/m for 2GB data loyalty smartphone plan. With that plan I cannot use my iPhone as a hotspot - if I try turning that on it basically says I need to call Verizon to set that up. My understanding is that is specifically NOT included in the loyalty plan.

I also cannot change my plan via the App, it says I need to call Verizon.

One big hold up to consider:

Your plan is $60 for 2GB. You can still sign a 2 year contract and your rate stays at $60. The new plans you don't get a discount phone for the price. So as an example, the out of contract price for the 3GB plan is $65 ($45 + $20), but you either have to buy phone outright or it goes up by $20 on two year contract.

I'm just saying, the plan you have is a good plan, so think it over. Assuming you aren't going over your data every month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'd love to know if it includes more everything but probably not

More Everything likely won't get any of the new features. The main benefit to more everything will just be that lines are $15 a month off contract vs $20. So unless you have a bunch of people on the plan, most people will probably want to switch to the new plans. Depends on your plan though.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Just FYI the only "issue" is that you will have to future date your plan for the next month. For whatever goddamn reason the system doesn't let the plans get backdated. But I would go in on July 7th and talk about the plans with wherever your local store is. Or if you post it here I'll tell you what the best plan to get will be.

Three-Phase posted:

I wonder if I can splurge and get the huge 6GB plan if they end up being cheaper!? :yayclod:

Well, I think everyone should be reminded that Verizon is a for profit company and as such new plans does not necessarily mean all plans are going down in price.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 4, 2016

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

For what it's worth, my wife and I ditched unlimited when the price increased last Fall and haven't had any issues. Basically went from $145 after tax/fees/employee discount to $115. We originally were on the XXL plan but realized we were nowhere close to using the data so we switched to the XL plan. That being said, I just ran the analysis and we're barely breaking 6GB shared a month (I'm about 3.5 gigs, she's 1.5 over the past 6 months.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

JayKay posted:

For what it's worth, my wife and I ditched unlimited when the price increased last Fall and haven't had any issues. Basically went from $145 after tax/fees/employee discount to $115. We originally were on the XXL plan but realized we were nowhere close to using the data so we switched to the XL plan. That being said, I just ran the analysis and we're barely breaking 6GB shared a month (I'm about 3.5 gigs, she's 1.5 over the past 6 months.)

Yeah, I think a lot of people don't use as much data as they think, especially if they're not streaming/downloading all day or have access to wifi a lot. I went to the Medium plan a few months back, and my average is about 1.5GB, and that's with streaming music from Play and DI.FM, though with the quality set low-ish. That's why I'd love to see Verizon do some kind of "music freedom" deal, because that's where like half my data usage comes from.

• Locked thread