Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Angepain posted:

Fans of the Sunday Herald will enjoy this heartwarming display of European solidarity on the front page:

http://twitter.com/newsundayherald/status/749347303702597632

Fans of hating the Sunday Herald will enjoy that apparently most of the translations are incorrect.
It's just Scottish French/German/Swedish/and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Angepain posted:

Fans of the Sunday Herald will enjoy this heartwarming display of European solidarity on the front page:

Fans of hating the Sunday Herald will enjoy that apparently most of the translations are incorrect.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotland/comments/4r2yx3/a_query_for_our_multilingual_friends_have_the/

:lol:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

jre posted:

They didn't make a sound case that it would make things better for the people of Scotland. "fear" is implying that independence is the only right choice but people "bottled" making that decision. People voted no for rational reasons, hard core nationalists who based their decision on emotion and patriotic sentiment just don't seem to be able to get this because that's not how they made their decision.

Both leave campaigns used national exceptionalism and emotive rhetoric to hand wave away any kind of serious question about how would things be better.

The thing is the No camp didn't exactly make a strong case for how things would be more stable either. Certainly in retrospect it seems either choice was a massive leap in the dark and any hope that maintaining the untenable status quo was somehow more stable was naive and largely unfounded. The quite reasonable belief that tory England would drag us kicking and screaming from Europe and otherwise punt our hopes and dreams into the loving sea is not so much an emotional argument as an astute observation of the way the wind was and is blowing. That the Scottish electorate only a year later mobilised en masse to vote overwhelmingly for one party without having any kind of decisive effect on the election result (thanks FPTP) illustrates perfectly how misserved they are by Britain's democratic deficit and begs the question, "How can things meaningfully improve for us without independence?"

But I suppose anybody that disagrees with the idea that a No vote was the sensible, adult, non-idiotic choice should just shut up and eat their cereal.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Angepain posted:

The Swedish one says "Scotland is Europe", not "Scotland is European".

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Was Sunday Herald anti-independence the first time around?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Angepain posted:

Something for everyone :allears:

TomViolence posted:

The thing is the No camp didn't exactly make a strong case for how things would be more stable either. Certainly in retrospect it seems either choice was a massive leap in the dark and any hope that maintaining the untenable status quo was somehow more stable was naive and largely unfounded.

It became amazingly obvious during the independence campaign that Salmond had not a loving clue how the Scottish economy would look after independence, not even what currency the country would use. The only clear policy he had was lets have a race to the bottom in corp tax. Guess who else thinks that's a great idea

quote:

The quite reasonable belief that tory England would drag us kicking and screaming from Europe and otherwise punt our hopes and dreams into the loving sea is not so much an emotional argument as an astute observation of the way the wind was and is blowing. That the Scottish electorate only a year later mobilised en masse to vote overwhelmingly for one party without having any kind of decisive effect on the election result (thanks FPTP) illustrates perfectly how misserved they are by Britain's democratic deficit and begs the question, "How can things meaningfully improve for us without independence?"
Are elections only democratic if the voting intent of a percentage of 5 million people overrides the other 60 million in the country ? I'd like to propose in fact, that if the party I vote for doesn't immediately get every seat in every parliament it's undemocratic.

quote:

But I suppose anybody that disagrees with the idea that a No vote was the sensible, adult, non-idiotic choice should just shut up and eat their cereal.

How about instead of eating their cereal they try understand the other point of view instead of calling them idiots, or afraid like petulant children ?

tithin posted:

Was Sunday Herald anti-independence the first time around?

They were pro independence

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

lilljonas posted:

The Swedish one says "Scotland is Europe", not "Scotland is European".

drat, our dreams of continental conquest have been revealed.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

jre posted:

How about instead of eating their cereal they try understand the other point of view instead of calling them idiots

Indeed.

jre posted:

I'm looking forward to idiots growing up and not describing people voting a different way as "bottling it"

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

jre posted:

Are elections only democratic if the voting intent of a percentage of 5 million people overrides the other 60 million in the country ? I'd like to propose in fact, that if the party I vote for doesn't immediately get every seat in every parliament it's undemocratic.

I ain't going to disagree with you on the infactual basis that the Yes Campaign ran on.

But surely the fairness of elections depend on the voting system anyways? FPTP is not a good democratic system regardless if the party you want wins. You know that the likes of UKIP getting elected is that one of their goals would be to abolish the devolved parliaments. So what happens if they do get elected in a good amount in England because they are the populist party that the SNP are in Scotland, but the majority of Scotland didn't vote for them and they proceed to abolish the parliaments? Would that be fair? And before anyone goes on about how that isn't going to happen, it's a hypothetical question. The possibility is very small but a possiblity none the less and one that can happen, proven by how the SNP managed to get over 56 seats in Scotland in the general election and the EU referendum result.

jre posted:

How about instead of eating their cereal they try understand the other point of view instead of calling them idiots, or afraid like petulant children ?

We are going to get a repeat of 2012-2014 again aren't we.

jre posted:

They were pro independence

Did they come out as pro-indepedence in the middle of the referendum period or near-late?

:cripes:

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 3, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Schottland ist ein BerlinerEuropa.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TomViolence posted:

The thing is the No camp didn't exactly make a strong case for how things would be more stable either. Certainly in retrospect it seems either choice was a massive leap in the dark and any hope that maintaining the untenable status quo was somehow more stable was naive and largely unfounded. The quite reasonable belief that tory England would drag us kicking and screaming from Europe and otherwise punt our hopes and dreams into the loving sea is not so much an emotional argument as an astute observation of the way the wind was and is blowing. That the Scottish electorate only a year later mobilised en masse to vote overwhelmingly for one party without having any kind of decisive effect on the election result (thanks FPTP) illustrates perfectly how misserved they are by Britain's democratic deficit and begs the question, "How can things meaningfully improve for us without independence?"

What the gently caress planet are you living on?

1) A vote for the status quo is by definition not a leap in the dark because we know what the status quo is. Nor was that status quo untenable in the mind of anyone other than the most frothing nationalists.

2) If you were really capable of making the "astute observation" that Tory England would vote us out of the EU then you were the only one. The bookies didn't believe it would be a Leave result, the city didn't believe it, even the people who were campaigning for it didn't believe it. Nigel Farage thought he was going to be defeated half an hour after the polls closed.

3) The failure of the SNP to decisively affect a UK General Election despite overwhelming Scottish support has gently caress all to do with the FPTP system and everything to do with the fact that they stand in less than 10% of the constituencies and are voted for by less than 10% of the electorate.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

Are we even sure he's living on a planet to begin with?

Jedit posted:

1) A vote for the status quo is by definition not a leap in the dark because we know what the status quo is. Nor was that status quo untenable in the mind of anyone other than the most frothing nationalists.

Speaking of, does right now count as the status quo anymore? From my view the status quo has been rocked and smashed by the EU referendum so we are preety much in the dark for both sides at this current moment.

Jedit posted:

2) If you were really capable of making the "astute observation" that Tory England would vote us out of the EU then you were the only one. The bookies didn't believe it would be a Leave result, the city didn't believe it, even the people who were campaigning for it didn't believe it. Nigel Farage thought he was going to be defeated half an hour after the polls closed.

"astute observation" being "I completely just lied my rear end about it being a Tory Government and EU-Exit."

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Jedit posted:

It was untenable enough for 45% of the frothing nationalists voting population to decide that a leap in the dark was worth it.

Jedit posted:

I disagree with my honourable friend Tom about the Brexit being a predictable result. However, it is quite believable that staying within the United Kingdom would result in major conflicts of interest between the people of Scotland and rest of the UK, especially with the election results of the past decade.

Jedit posted:

3) The failure of the SNP to decisively affect a UK General Election despite overwhelming Scottish support has gently caress all to do with the FPTP system and everything to do with the fact that they stand in less than 10% of the constituencies and are voted for by less than 10% of the electorate.

Yes and who exactly decides on these constituencies?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think constituency boundaries are to blame for the SNP not contesting seats outside of Scotland.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
Scotland has 8.2% of the country's voters and 9.1% of the seats in the UK parliament. It also has 100% of the seats in it's own parliament, which has more powers than the Welsh or Northern Irish.

Scottish voters are the most empowered in the country - per capita. If you want more influence, breed more.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Speaking as a Welsh person, it's always funny seeing Scots complaining that they don't have enough power. Though perhaps we shouldn't have any more power based on the EU referendum results.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Speaking as a Welsh person, it's always funny seeing Scots complaining that they don't have enough power. Though perhaps we shouldn't have any more power based on the EU referendum results.

The Welsh assembly should have more power, but you only ever get anything when you threaten to leave so probably vote Plaid next time.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

We are going to get a repeat of 2012-2014 again aren't we.

In terms of the thread, yes, it appears so.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/independent-scotland-would-only-need-8343623#OOlbcLYyQfoI6Hgl.97

Quite amusing that the Daily Record is actually downplaying the difficulties that a Indy Scotland would face in a way.

Angepain posted:

In terms of the thread, yes, it appears so.

It's not till Pissflaps comes in and pisses everywhere to mark his territory again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Don't invite him.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Lady Galaga posted:

It was untenable enough for 45% of the voting population to decide that a leap in the dark was worth it.
[quote]
30 odd percent of the voting population

[quote]
Yes and who exactly decides on these constituencies?

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Scotland has 8.2% of the country's voters and 9.1% of the seats in the UK parliament. It also has 100% of the seats in it's own parliament, which has more powers than the Welsh or Northern Irish.

Scottish voters are the most empowered in the country - per capita. If you want more influence, breed more.

Extreme0 posted:

Speaking of, does right now count as the status quo anymore? From my view the status quo has been rocked and smashed by the EU referendum so we are preety much in the dark for both sides at this current moment.
Doesn't count any more.

It's interesting times now, many of the bad things experts predicted if independence happened such as the stock marking tanking, Scottish finance sector taking a hammering , falling into recession are coming to pass anyway. Also the total political carnage down south makes it very hard to predict what things will look like in 5 or ten years.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Political panel to discuss Scottish future after Brexit vote

First Scots prosecution over failure to protect tenants' deposits expected to lead to more

quote:

SCOTS landlords face court action over failing to protect tenants' deposits after a North Ayrshire letting agent became the first in Scotland to be prosecuted for breaching rules.

Colvin Houston Ltd was fined after becoming the first to be prosecuted under regulations that required all Scottish landlords to hand over deposits to an independent third party.

North Ayrshire Council say that the "landmark ruling" at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court - could now have a "massive impact" for people renting properties across Scotland.

quote:

After the Tenancy Deposit Schemes (Scotland) Regulations 2011 came into play, landlords and letting agents had until May, 2013, to lodge all deposits, It was hoped an initiative to bring in three government approved schemes to protect deposits four years ago - free for landlords and letting agents - would prevent agents holding on to money on false grounds.

But the schemes are estimated to be catching around 40 per cent of all deposits.

The new prosecution, triggered by North Ayrshire Council’s Trading Standards team, is said to be the first to to be successful since the rules were introduced five years ago.

The council said that housing legislation primarily places the responsibility for securing deposits on landlords. But Consumer Protection legislation was used in this instance, a first, to hold a Letting Agent responsible for the deposits they took on behalf of their landlords.

Colvin Houston Ltd pled guilty to the charge relating to two specific deposits, amounting to £925, which had not been paid into a required Tenancy Deposit Scheme. The company were fined £750 which was reduced to £500 for an early plea.

quote:

The council said that now there is a "legal precedent, establishing criminal liability under Trading Standards legislation" work can be continued throughout Scotland over deposits not held in a regulated Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

Scott McKenzie, the council's protective services senior manager said they are now sharing their experience with other councils across Scotland.

Willie Gibson, leader of North Ayrshire Council, said it was a "real victory for tenants across Scotland".

“The most disadvantaged can often be trapped in below tolerable standard housing because they do not know the whereabouts of their deposit," he said.

quote:

“Legislation has been passed to stop landlords not securing deposits. The use of consumer protection legislation now requires letting agents to ensure they place their clients deposits in a secure scheme. Our trading standards team deserve huge credit for getting this to court."

Trading Standards used the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 legislation to press charges against Colvin Houston Ltd.

The council said that as they had not secured the deposits, the letting agent had committed the offence for "failing to meet the standard of skill and care that would reasonably be expected" of a trader in its field of activity, and hence their practice was deemed "unfair as it failed to meet the standard of professional diligence".

quote:

After October 2, 2013, landlords were required by law to hand over all new deposits within 30 working days of a tenancy starting.

With more than 270,000 households estimated to have been renting from private landlords when the legislation came in, about £75 million was expected to be transferred to the three approved bodies.

Previously tenants had to take legal action to try to recover deposit money but the regulations give them access to an independent dispute resolution service if the return of a deposit cannot be agreed.

One of the government approved schemes, SafeDeposits Scotland, a not-for-profit partnership between landlords, agents and tenants, including student body, which manages the majority of private rental deposits in Scotland said it hoped that the case will go "a long way to ensuring the minority of letting agents and landlords who don’t currently comply with government regulations quickly address this."

Jen Paice, chief executive of SafeDeposits Scotland, said the case raises "an important point which all landlords need to be cognisant of".

Shame that it isn't higher but at least something's been done...slowly.

jre posted:

It's interesting times now, many of the bad things experts predicted if independence happened such as the stock marking tanking, Scottish finance sector taking a hammering , falling into recession are coming to pass anyway. Also the total political carnage down south makes it very hard to predict what things will look like in 5 or ten years.

The problem I'm experincing is the UKIP vote gaining a lot more in constituencies that voted leave a lot. If they get the SNP effect then we are all hosed.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Extreme0 posted:

The problem I'm experincing is the UKIP vote gaining a lot more in constituencies that voted leave a lot. If they get the SNP effect then we are all hosed.

:ohdear:

In happier news
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36686461

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

quote:

Recompense:
  • 2016/17 Partick Thistle season ticket.
  • Fantastic opportunities to travel the country and meet celebrities like David Hasselhoff, Rachel Riley and Jonathan Sutherland off the telly.
  • That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you know you have made thousands of people happier.

I don't know much about usual asking rates for football mascots, but none of these seem to involve actually being paid money, which seems a bit disappointing.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Someone must take this job and sponsor Something Awful.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Angepain posted:

I don't know much about usual asking rates for football mascots, but none of these seem to involve actually being paid money, which seems a bit disappointing.

Season ticket is worth at least £300

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

jre posted:

Season ticket is worth at least £300

can't really feed yourself with a ticket to the football though, is my point. mascots of the world, unite

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I left Scotland to move to aus before I needed to move out of my parents place, so I never got to experience that but it surprises me that landlords keep the deposit money in Scotland. In Australia, all deposits are lodged with a government agency and only released if both parties agree to a distribution of funds between the parties.

Any disagreement goes through VCAT, which is a separate government department to sort out the disagreement. I thought that was how it was done everywhere.

Otoh, Australia basically runs concentration camps, so it's not all good :shrug:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

tithin posted:

I left Scotland to move to aus before I needed to move out of my parents place, so I never got to experience that but it surprises me that landlords keep the deposit money in Scotland. In Australia, all deposits are lodged with a government agency and only released if both parties agree to a distribution of funds between the parties.

Any disagreement goes through VCAT, which is a separate government department to sort out the disagreement. I thought that was how it was done everywhere.

Otoh, Australia basically runs concentration camps, so it's not all good :shrug:

As the article says, that's how it's meant to work in the UK now too.The letting agency was fined for not doing so. My experience has been that this is still somewhat common practice, especially among student letting agencies - I lost a deposit that wasn't protected myself, but it was a relatively small amount and given that I'd moved to another part of the country I didn't want the hassle of taking them to court over it. I imagine they get away with it a lot for exactly that reason.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Has anybody in this thread ordered this watch?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

yeah

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Do I get a "Make America Great Again" cap too, if I order it?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
BRAVE

PROUD

ADJECTIVE

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sion posted:

BRAVE

PROUD

ADJECTIVE

BRAVE
PROUD
PERSONALISED

Also it appears there are only 4,999 True Scotsmen. Order now to avoid missing out!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The watch automatically sets itself to GEMT and cannot be changed.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Anyone who orders one will be added to a watch list.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PiCroft posted:

:fuckoff:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's not like British nationalists have better tat.

I want a 3 foot tall nazi saluting queen in my front garden.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's not like British nationalists have better tat.

I want a 3 foot tall nazi saluting queen in my front garden.

Is there some way I can combine the two and get a timepiece with a gnomon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Rampant Lion isn't even red! Fake stupid watch.

PiCroft posted:

:colbert: