Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwWAI_Zfn4

Those crazy Nintendo of America folks chasing the Youtube generation. Should have used the chance to get Dark Gary back.

#itsforkids, Internet, don't get mad as usual.
Man, something about that has a serious 90s vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Saoshyant posted:

Those crazy Nintendo of America folks chasing the Youtube generation. Should have used the chance to get Dark Gary back.

I liked Izzy. But yeah, some serious 90s vibes here.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Meldonox posted:

Probably because the 90s was when American companies started hiring twentysomethings to act like teenagers in commercials unabashedly aimed at 11-15 year olds.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Saoshyant posted:

okay i'm twenty seconds in and this is the best. Izzy is literally holding the whole thing together, if it weren't for him i could see where the hate comes from but he sets up the tone perfectly, like of course all this rapid fire sillyness is happening there's a loving talking piranha plant puppet co-hosting what else could it be.

I hope next episode is Top 5 Waifus from TMS #FE

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that guy has only ever played nsmb

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I hope next episode is Top 5 Waifus from TMS #FE
Kiria Kiria Kiria Kiria Kiria?

Real hurthling! posted:

that guy has only ever played nsmb
The episode topic is NSMB2, so I guess it's only expected that all the power-ups would be from that one. Boy would he ever have egg on his face if NSMB2 had fewer than five power-ups though, ho ho.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Meldonox posted:

Haven't started chapter 3 but I agree. God I hope the game doesn't just lead to Itsuki and Tsubasa getting together.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

More Izzy! More Nintendo 90's-styled videos!

Oh, hey, something new: the president of Ubi "please don't buy us" soft, Yves Guillemot, has come on record to say they will be supporting the NX day one on an interview with GameInformer.

“You can expect we’ll support Nintendo. Nintendo is one of the best partners in the world.”

“We could see it wasn’t selling as fast as expected, so we reorganized around other platforms. With the Wii U, we were able to relaunch Rayman 2D. It was a good thing for the company and the brand and its fans. If you remember, it was supposed to be Wii U exclusive, but we made it multi-platform when we saw it wasn’t selling fast enough. The Wii U has done quite well. It’s still a Nintendo machine with lots of great franchises, and we’ve sold lots of copies of Just Dance on it.”

And speaking of Just Dance and Rayman, those weren't the only titles they released on the U. Of the big studios they are clearly the one who put more third-party titles on the system. Here's a list:

• Assassin's Creed III
• Assassin's Creed IV
• Rayman Legends
• Avengers: Battle for Earth
• Zombi U
• Rabbids Land
• Your Shape Fitness
• Sports Connection
• Watch Dogs
• Splinter Cell Blacklist
• Child of Light
• Just Dance 2014
• Just Dance 2015
• Just Dance 2016
• Just Dance 2017

Though I imagine people will only remember Rayman Legends and Zombi U affectionately. Still, it bodes well for the NX if Ubisoft is saying they are on board.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 3, 2016

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Didn't a bunch of western companies say they'd be on board for the Wii U and ditched it shortly after launch? I don't think Ubisoft will abandon it entirely, but any promises of support should be taken at arm's length

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Meldonox posted:

none of these are how you spell ellie!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Play It Loud

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
what are the chances nintendo finally jumps on board the subscription model to use the internet on their console? sony and microsoft have been getting away with it for years

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raserys posted:

Didn't a bunch of western companies say they'd be on board for the Wii U and ditched it shortly after launch? I don't think Ubisoft will abandon it entirely, but any promises of support should be taken at arm's length

yes. there's cod on the wii u from activision as well. likely the big publishers were happy to catch the launch window wave and wait and see how things developed before committing further.

Blazing Zero posted:

what are the chances nintendo finally jumps on board the subscription model to use the internet on their console? sony and microsoft have been getting away with it for years

depends heavily on their strategy. if they are trying to be a cheaper family machine again then its unlikely. if they are trying to compete with the market leaders again then probably

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Raserys posted:

It kind of seemed that "weak-rear end cpu" thing killed the Wii U pretty hard. It just wasn't easy to port things to the Wii U, between the difficulty of optimizing for its CPU and needing to support the gamepad, and while it was better than the PS3 and 360, it's certainly outclassed by the PS4 and Xbone.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NX was built on x86 or was otherwise beefy enough to hold its own against the current gen, and even if there's some wacky gimmick, Nintendo doesn't require its use (or perhaps even better, provides whatever support is necessary to enable it so the developers have to do little to nothing.) They've done this WE TOTALLY HAVE THIRD PARTY support dance so many times, I'd be really surprised if they haven't learned anything.

Blazing Zero posted:

I'd say about 0. I mean they could do the "free" game every month thing or something but if anything I could see them offering something comparable to PS+/XBL Gold for free in order to reel people in. Bring in or contract some people who can actually build a decent online network, offer second tier Nintendo Classics for free every month, maybe even have some way to play old systems' 2P games with people online so they also have their own unique spin on the service? There's some interesting stuff they could do that would be way more compelling than just copying what the other two are doing and both be a better idea AND be more "Nintendo" than trying to get cash from online service subscriptions.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Been trying to get the OP inline with what we know about the NX. Anything missing?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Meldonox posted:

Yeah, that video is 90s as gently caress. Gives me flashbacks to Video Power, the one before they retooled it into a game show.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Boten Anna posted:

It kind of seemed that "weak-rear end cpu" thing killed the Wii U pretty hard. It just wasn't easy to port things to the Wii U, between the difficulty of optimizing for its CPU and needing to support the gamepad, and while it was better than the PS3 and 360, it's certainly outclassed by the PS4 and Xbone.

I'll grant you that porting games over to the Wii U's architecture is not a simple thing, but there is no need to actually support the gamepad screen as anything but a mirrored display. I'm sure some ports make use of it as a map or inventory panel or whatever but most third party games I've played just quietly ignore it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Been trying to get the OP inline with what we know about the NX. Anything missing?

A very important addition.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

But if you want to add more fuel to the NX being a carts-based system rumor, there's the Breath of the Wild trademark application mentioning it will come both in discs and cartridges.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

A very important addition.

Done. I'll add the link when I'm on a computer.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

Probably not going to happen. I would think that is why are dipping some of their resources into mobile.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

smell this posted:

Probably not going to happen. I would think that is why are dipping some of their resources into mobile.
Oh god, maybe they're just being typically internet-clueless Nintendo and they're going to start charging people for online functionality on mobile games.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
So what do we think Nintendo's going to do to get something out of the holiday season?

Think they'll throw in some more nintendo select titles? I'm kind of hoping they are. Still dont have Yoshi's Wooly World, Toad Treasure Tracker and DK TF.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SylvainMustach posted:

So what do we think Nintendo's going to do to get something out of the holiday season?

Think they'll throw in some more nintendo select titles? I'm kind of hoping they are. Still dont have Yoshi's Wooly World, Toad Treasure Tracker and DK TF.

Well, there is a Pokemon game out in November.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Meldonox posted:

Oh god, maybe they're just being typically internet-clueless Nintendo and they're going to start charging people for online functionality on mobile games.

f2p games! Mario is too tired to jump and needs to rest for six hours. Buy a jumping mushroom for $1.99 to bring his energy back now!

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Soul Glo posted:

Well, there is a Pokemon game out in November.

I forgot about that.
I dont know how, but I did.

But on the home console side of things, since this is my first year having a WiiU, do they tend to have good sales on games or have them drop in price retail-wise?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

There was an eshop sale during E3, there might be another one around Black Friday / Christmas.
On the brick-n-mortar side, I've seen some pretty good sales on Wii U stuff over the last 2 years, I'd wager it'll be even moreso with the Wii U on its way out.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SylvainMustach posted:

I forgot about that.

But on the home console side of things, since this is my first year having a WiiU, do they tend to have good sales on games or have them drop in price retail-wise?

I couldn't really tell you 100%, but judging by how Nintendo likes to sell retail games at retail price for years and YEARS beyond when they should get a price cut, I wouldn't hold my breath.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Soul Glo posted:

I couldn't really tell you 100%, but judging by how Nintendo likes to sell retail games at retail price for years and YEARS beyond when they should get a price cut, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Yeah they've gotten maybe a bit better but a lot of the best games that are even a year old or more are still like $40 and maybe get $5 off on sale. I am so spoiled by Steam and PSN :(

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Boten Anna posted:

When I worked in games we did multiplatform titles and the GameCube was always the last version done because we had to tweak so much just to make it work as compared to the "base" version. It wasn't always because it was worse mind you (though that definitely the case with texture sizes and memory management) but it was certainly different. I don't think Nintendo wants to be in that spot again, though hell I'm not sure if they ever got out of it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

SylvainMustach posted:

I forgot about that.

Last year a bunch of Wii U titles were 30% off for the Holiday sale.

That's obviously not great but it's something.

Are you in NA? If you are, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is already a Select.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just picked up Paper Jam for $21 this E3, which I think is a good deal. They could be a lot better with more consistent deals and maybe even one or two yearly mega sales. Hire me Nintendo, I have lots of Good Ideas.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Scaramouche posted:

When I worked in games we did multiplatform titles and the GameCube was always the last version done because we had to tweak so much just to make it work as compared to the "base" version. It wasn't always because it was worse mind you (though that definitely the case with texture sizes and memory management) but it was certainly different. I don't think Nintendo wants to be in that spot again, though hell I'm not sure if they ever got out of it.
I don't think they're ever gonna get out of that rut, they just seem to refuse to put in more power than they think absolutely necessary

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just picked up Paper Jam for $21 this E3, which I think is a good deal. They could be a lot better with more consistent deals and maybe even one or two yearly mega sales. Hire me Nintendo, I have lots of Good Ideas.
Yeah 3DS games go on sale much more often, heaven help you if you want to fill out your Wii U library though (outside of those three Selects)

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Patter Song posted:

Last year a bunch of Wii U titles were 30% off for the Holiday sale.

That's obviously not great but it's something.

Are you in NA? If you are, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is already a Select.

You're right. Forgot about DK. I'll have to get it once I finish sludging through twilight princess and SFZ

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Exactly, and the GC was the most powerful of its generation, now it doesn't even have that. The NX would be a great time for them to go x86 along with everyone else, even if they have to break BC (or include a Wii U CPU for U/Wii/GC support) so that ports aren't so costly. I really hope they do.

Or the cluster rumors are true and everything is done in some bizzare Nintendo version of Java and you can run clusters on literally every device around the house so you need a Cluster Rating of 69420 to run the lazy port of Blops VII developers will love that :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I tend to think it will be ARM because then it will make it much easier to port games and game engines between console and mobile, and going from x86 to ARM is apparently not too much work.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ARM would also make sense if they're going to interface a lot more with Android/iOS devices like my guess/prediction, so yeah basically anything other than sticking with PowerPC would be a good idea.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Remote play using your phone or tablet would be a cool gimmick, that will use so much bandwidth it wont work outside of Japan and wifi everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Boten Anna posted:

Exactly, and the GC was the most powerful of its generation, now it doesn't even have that.

This is highly debatable: the Gamecube was hands-down stronger than the PS2, but it and the original XBox traded blows, stronger in some ways and weaker in others...AND the Gamecube was hamstrung because those mini-DVDs could only hold like 1/8th as much as an ordinary DVD.

• Locked thread