Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is the tower mode a mini game or is it the actual game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Incoherence posted:

This run is pretty great so far except for the NEW RECORD spam.

Edge~ Edge~ Edge~

KKKLIP ART posted:

Its the bonus game.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The mode he's playing is basically the post-game challenge mode; the story mode generally isn't this difficult.

It's still fairly difficult, though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Babel mode is sort of a mini-game but part of the actual game is like this. Not as intricate, however.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When Catherine was released in Japan, they had to patch in an easy mode to the game because people found it nigh impossible to get through.

The term 'easy mode' should be read mockingly btw, because it's still loving hard.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Mini game unlocked by clearing the main story. Main story is pretty :catdrugs:

Also, his time is rear end but I'm genuinely surprised he didn't loving die given that profoundly rotten RNG. Rock solid composure, goddamn.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
NEW RECORD

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This game reminds me of a game I don't remember the name of that I played on a PS1 demo disk like 20 years ago.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pakled posted:

This game reminds me of a game I don't remember the name of that I played on a PS1 demo disk like 20 years ago.

Kurushi/Intelligent Qube?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That's exactly it. Thanks.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Sage Grimm posted:

That was why it reviewed rather poorly!

82 metacritic isn't fantastic but I wouldn't call it poorly at all

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I have played Catherine lots and gotten golds on nearly every story level on hard.

I can still hardly follow this at all :psyduck:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Waterfall of Salt posted:

82 metacritic isn't fantastic but I wouldn't call it poorly at all

Huh, I thought it was lower. My bad.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Cathrine is so loving good whenever it's shown.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I played Intelligent Qube on the demo disc like everyone else, but I never played the full game. Was it good? It seemed like it tried to do something different and interesting like a lot of indie games try to do now.

Unrelated was the Tropical Freeze speedrun as good as it was last year? Did they manage to go faster?

edit: this dude is way too calm for what is happening on screen

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cubey posted:

I have played Catherine lots and gotten golds on nearly every story level on hard.

I can still hardly follow this at all :psyduck:

Competitive 2-player Catherine has really taken off over the last year or so. Watching that is like watching an incomprehensible battle between sheep wizards.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Tropical Breeze relay race turned out really well. There were several lead changes and it was down to the last world before a winner was obvious.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm really bad at action puzzlers, including basic Tetris, so I'm just happy to see him thinking with both characters by himself like it's no big deal at all.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That was loving insane.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Competitive 2-player Catherine has really taken off over the last year or so. Watching that is like watching an incomprehensible battle between sheep wizards.

I think I saw this last Canada Cup or EVO, with the only annoying gimmick being the part where you block a ledge climb at the last split second or die thing. That's kinda lame.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Macaluso posted:

I played Intelligent Qube on the demo disc like everyone else, but I never played the full game. Was it good? It seemed like it tried to do something different and interesting like a lot of indie games try to do now.

It's been a long time since I played it, but it wasn't bad. The series was popular enough to spawn sequels up to the PS2/PSP era IIRC. It'd probably find more of an audience these days on Steam though.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

That was awesome. Can someone explain what Mermaids4Dacid means?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

How long after GDQ starts do the VODs start popping up? I want to watch Tropical Freeze since I missed that

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Well, we just watched an incomprehensible battle between a wizard and the RNG, so I guess it fits.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

How long after GDQ starts do the VODs start popping up? I want to watch Tropical Freeze since I missed that

Anytime. Reddit has a VOD thread with links to every speedrun when they begin:

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/4r4pyp/sgdq_vod_thread_2016/

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Power of Pecota posted:

That was awesome. Can someone explain what Mermaids4Dacid means?

pretty sure they're just loving with another runner for fun

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well, I think I'm out for the night. I'll watch the Awful Block on VOD, I guess, much of it is too early for my timezone.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Shoutouts to whoever's doing the music in between games

good poo poo so far can't go wrong with Sonic

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

sweetroy posted:

pretty sure they're just loving with another runner for fun

Not another runner, big Anime Fighting Game Player, Dacidbro, who also is down with the comp Catherine.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Alteisen posted:

That was loving insane.

Yeah, that was loving baller.

i swear to christ if I ever find someone who likes Catherine to play it with I will loving challenge those Pairs ILs

or maybe find a JP copy and do Solo Babel because I have no friends, do not much like 1p2c but really like Catherine

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Anytime. Reddit has a VOD thread with links to every speedrun when they begin:

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/4r4pyp/sgdq_vod_thread_2016/

I had the /r/speedrun open earlier and didn't see it, then I checked after clicking that link and it was there and posted over an hour ago. Strange. Thanks for the link though!

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Hace posted:

Not another runner, big Anime Fighting Game Player, Dacidbro, who also is down with the comp Catherine.

He also runs/ran some Castlevania, IIRC.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

:911:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This is bringing back memories of amateurishly speedrunning this game. NSMB has become really stale at this point but it was fun trying to speedrun some of these levels.

This guy is not as interesting as the Catherine guy though

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Luigi "Traitor" Koopa. Should've known all along...

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Am I the only one who doesn't like the soundtrack to the NSMB games? They have that sound effect that sounds like someone singing and it just annoys me for some reason.

Gunseng
Aug 20, 2012
When did lumpy space princess start speedrunning games?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Catherine is the early favorite for run of the marathon imo

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the soundtrack to the NSMB games? They have that sound effect that sounds like someone singing and it just annoys me for some reason.

It's the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

that's a popular opinion you'll find

• Locked thread