Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Please ban all Nintendo games from being speed run for one event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Good news, there's like two other racing games after this one and then some THPSing. At least one of them is F-Zero-like, maybe it's funner to watch.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

look i don't know if it's your profession or whatever but you can stop this "bad and wrong opinions" thing at any time

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

it would be the most interesting gdq and it would raise probably $1500

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What was good about it? I just figured one RE4 run was the same as another.

A good mix of commentary (they go fairly in depth into why they're taking certain actions over others and pepper in humor here and there) and gameplay (the dude playing was clearly very skilled at the game and had a huge number of hours invested). I normally find hour+ speedruns to be somewhat unbearable, but that one worked for me.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Tony Hawk speedruns are funny, they're always arbitrarily short times like 7 minutes or something

I hope they don't all bail like they did on that THUG2 runner a few years ago, that sucked

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Hopeful Kirby Air Ride and and Sonic Riders will better since it later this week.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

Tony Hawk speedruns are funny, they're always arbitrarily short times like 7 minutes or something

Somebody once told me...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HoneyBoy posted:

I hope they don't all bail like they did on that THUG2 runner a few years ago, that sucked

it's thug, so it's 45min and the music isn't goldfinger - superman

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If they did that, people would seriously get mad and withhold donations until they brought it back. Which, honestly, would probably be worth it.

Dias posted:

Good news, there's like two other racing games after this one and then some THPSing. At least one of them is F-Zero-like, maybe it's funner to watch.

Man, I just remembered the F-Zero Gamcube run from a few years back. That one race against the fat samurai guy was nuts.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
I used to run this game so it's interesting to me to watch, but I can totally imagine why it would bore you. Also, it doesn't help that all the commentators sound lifeless.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jarogue posted:

Hopeful Kirby Air Ride and and Sonic Riders will better since it later this week.

Spoilers it only gets worse from here

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

HoneyBoy posted:

I don't know if it's your profession or what but you can stop this whole "bad and wrong opinions" thing whenever you want to bro

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hot takes

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Barudak posted:

Spoilers it only gets worse from here

there is still typing of the dead

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Is there Goldeneye at this marathon

I want to see Ryan Lockwood explode the room into thunderous applause and cheering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYmqJl4MoNI

also with RWhiteGoose on commentary

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
alright him getting ruined by every single thing hitting him was pretty funny

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Man, I just remembered the F-Zero Gamcube run from a few years back. That one race against the fat samurai guy was nuts.

That run was amazing, but I feel it had little to do with the racing part of the game and more with how stupid hard that game's hardest mode is. Racing blocks are kinda boring but eh, it's 1:30min out of a week-long event so meh. They should put them in the middle of the week so I can catch up on other poo poo while it's going on.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Someone do a Jojo edit of him dodging the blue shell then getting ruined by it anyway tia

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

HoneyBoy posted:

Is there Goldeneye at this marathon

I want to see Ryan Lockwood explode the room into thunderous applause and cheering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYmqJl4MoNI

also with RWhiteGoose on commentary

Still one of the best speedrun videos. Also, someone's managed Streets 1:11 :eyepop:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Dias posted:

it's thug, so it's 45min and the music isn't goldfinger - superman

It better be a Shrek run

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dias posted:

That run was amazing, but I feel it had little to do with the racing part of the game and more with how stupid hard that game's hardest mode is. Racing blocks are kinda boring but eh, it's 1:30min out of a week-long event so meh. They should put them in the middle of the week so I can catch up on other poo poo while it's going on.

The TAS of it is a thing of absurd beauty as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BXkbXeWTg0

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

It better be a Shrek run

I think shrek is only in THUG2.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Jarogue posted:

I think shrek is only in THUG2.

drat

So THUG1 was Iron Man then

still neat

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kirby's Air Ride will feature Kirby humping a star in place for 20 seconds then launching off like a rocket while crashing into a million invisible walls over a track you can't see. A flurry of colors will most likely fly by in random sequence and maybe some rails will be involved. Nobody will no what's going on but at least the music will be nice.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
haha, twitch chat auto-bans the word "triggered"

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Someone learn to speedrun need for speed underground 1 or 2 and teach these plebs how to drift.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ah yes, the "skip" of a track-intended shortcut. What intense strats.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Vermain posted:

A good mix of commentary (they go fairly in depth into why they're taking certain actions over others and pepper in humor here and there) and gameplay (the dude playing was clearly very skilled at the game and had a huge number of hours invested). I normally find hour+ speedruns to be somewhat unbearable, but that one worked for me.

my favorite thing about the RE4 speedrun was that even though he went over estimate he was like "hey that's a pretty good time!"

too often I see runners beat themselves up about how their run was bad. that dude just rolled with his mistakes and owned it. solidly entertaining run.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Racing game speedruns are always dreadfully boring :shrug:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Any time Mario isn't on screen, all the speed runners should be asking "Where's Mario?"

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuX5_OWObA0

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I pledged to donate $1 every time they say 'mini-turbo'. Now I'm homeless.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

It's a place thatcha go.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Internet Kraken posted:

Racing game speedruns are always dreadfully boring :shrug:

F-Zero GX speedruns are awesome

all other racing game speedruns, however, I agree

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Someone learn to speedrun need for speed underground 1 or 2 and teach these plebs how to drift.

hell yeah, it has much better music than other racing games to boot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHmmd8rrfE

Fiblah
Jul 22, 2007

This was more entertaining than the Mario Kart run

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

This might just be me trying to yak up ctr more but it's drifting is way better than most kart racers in that it requires actual timing and knowledge of tracks to not hit walls otherwise you lose your turbo

Also nfs1 is hilarious because I tried to emulate that game and get low is the startup song but it played and like half speed and lil jon at half speed is loving hilarious

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
wait how can you have a speedrunning marathon without the og speedrun game, Quake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HoneyBoy posted:

hell yeah, it has much better music than other racing games to boot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHmmd8rrfE

Underground was popular as gently caress in the lan houses I used to go to, and Get Low also played a lot on the parties I used to go to in high school so gently caress this song brings me back

• Locked thread