Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

That megaphone looks like a wine bottle. Bruce is smashed from a long night of mourning Jason Todd and forgot to take the suit off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Martman posted:

I'd like to see Batman asking someone for directions.

Rifftrax did that joke several times in the Dark Knight riff. "Do you think Batman ever gets lost and has to ask OnStar WHERE AM I?"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Kurzon posted:

Why is this so dumb? Police solicit information from the public all the time with wanted posters and messages on radio, TV and the Web. The Joker dresses very conspicuously, so somebody has probably seen him. And the Joker has zero friends and usually kills everyone who gets close to him, so why wouldn't they give him a few tips?

Uh I mean it's a feared and terrifying vigilante walking around in broad daylight with a megaphone yelling for people to help him.

It's fake, but how is it not silly and hilarious?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

My favorite one is this one because he just ignores everything Bane was saying. He's obviously not going to tell you anything, Batman, you dumb idiot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite one is this one because he just ignores everything Bane was saying. He's obviously not going to tell you anything, Batman, you dumb idiot.

Batman being terrible at interrogating his enemies is a running gag in Nolan's movies. Everybody remembers that scene from Dark Knight, but in Batman Begins he also learns jack poo poo from a drugged Scarecrow and only manages to drive him completely insane.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Kurzon posted:

Why is this so dumb? Police solicit information from the public all the time with wanted posters and messages on radio, TV and the Web. The Joker dresses very conspicuously, so somebody has probably seen him. And the Joker has zero friends and usually kills everyone who gets close to him, so why wouldn't they give him a few tips?

it subverts the expectation that batman operatesa as a subtle shadow gliding across the night until he strikes. also it's not really dumb just funny

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Grendels Dad posted:

Batman being terrible at interrogating his enemies is a running gag in Nolan's movies. Everybody remembers that scene from Dark Knight, but in Batman Begins he also learns jack poo poo from a drugged Scarecrow and only manages to drive him completely insane.
Batman has always been bad at interrogating enemies because Batman writers think that to get information out of someone, you must torture them somehow. Most police interviews don't use torture, they use psychological tricks, and they've got it down to a fine art. But somehow Gordon thinks Batman's pugilism is better than his years of training.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kurzon posted:

Batman has always been bad at interrogating enemies because Batman writers think that to get information out of someone, you must torture them somehow. Most police interviews don't use torture, they use psychological tricks, and they've got it down to a fine art. But somehow Gordon thinks Batman's pugilism is better than his years of training.

It's been a long time since I watched B:TAS but I don't recall Batman being a huge fan of "beat a confession out of them" in there.

I know we were talking about the movies but you mentioned writers as in more than just the Nolan films.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kurzon posted:

Well it's more that Batman can do things the cops "can't". At least Jack Bauer was threatening to mutilate guys and stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 3, 2016

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kurzon posted:

Batman doesn't have 20 minutes-12 hours to let his suspect slip up or want to talk to him due to his verbal psychological tricks. So he decides to put the fear of god...damned batman into them to get results quite quickly.

NikkolasKing posted:

It's been a long time since I watched B:TAS but I don't recall Batman being a huge fan of "beat a confession out of them" in there.

I know we were talking about the movies but you mentioned writers as in more than just the Nolan films.

Batman used psychological torture in the first Clayface episode to get information about Matt Hagen, and typically when he needs information the camera just focuses elsewhere so you don't see what he did to the guy only to show him spilling his guts next scene.

Basically, he does it fairly regularly in the DCAU, and most modern interpretations of the character.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MrJacobs posted:

Batman doesn't have 20 minutes-12 hours to let his suspect slip up or want to talk to him due to his verbal psychological tricks. So he decides to put the fear of god...damned batman into them to get results quite quickly.

You have to appreciate Nolan's movies for just showing it what it is, totally harebrained nonsense.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

You have to appreciate Nolan's movies for just showing it what it is, totally harebrained nonsense.

Oh I agree its loving stupid and unrealistic, and the Nolan movies make it even more so. I was just refering to the comics more where he just puts the fear of god in people in a way the Nolan movies never really did. Though BvS did a decent job with what makes his "interrogations" scary, its still crazy nonsense when you think about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He doesn't really interrogate anyone in BvS, does he? It's all based on Alfred's research, beating up and intimidating people is a public image thing for him there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

He doesn't really interrogate anyone in BvS, does he? It's all based on Alfred's research, beating up and intimidating people is a public image thing for him there.

Yeah, the closest is either his flirting with Wonder Woman or him going to scare Lex and finding out the world is hosed.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Doesn't he interrogate the slaver in the beginning with the brand about the white mamba or some poo poo? And he's like the 8th dude that month?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The main thing he "investigates" is something that Lex tells straight to his face. It's definitely more that he simply loves being Batman and gets annoyed when someone spoils his fun, which honestly is a more interesting guy than the tantrum throwing Bale Batman.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Doesn't Alfred at one point even say something to the effect of he "got more done as Bruce Wayne in 24 hours than The Batman did in *X amount of time*"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay, in the kiddie cartoons he doesn't interrogate criminals often. But it's kinda funny in there how readily regular people will talk to him. He shows up unannounced in the middle of their living room and they just say "you!", they answer a few questions, then he leaves suddenly when their back is turned.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Watching the new FF movie. Holy poo poo this came out in theaters?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

Watching the new FF movie. Holy poo poo this came out in theaters?
I suggest watching this excellent YouTube documentary on how Fantastic Four came to be and the fallout from its poor reception. It is excellent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm watching batman vs superman for the first time and i don't think its good but its a hell of a lot better than the avengers. its overly long for sure but so is man of steel and watchmen which are both zack snyder films. i thought man of steel was good too except an hour too long which is a big mark against it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jose posted:

I'm watching batman vs superman for the first time and i don't think its good but its a hell of a lot better than the avengers. its overly long for sure but so is man of steel and watchmen which are both zack snyder films. i thought man of steel was good too except an hour too long which is a big mark against it.
When is the last time you watched The Avengers? I suggest rewatching it. When I saw Thor: The Dark World, I thought it was on par with Iron Man 3, but on repeat viewings and careful comparisons I think Iron Man 3 is superior.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
thor 2 was so boring i spend the entire film, which i was watching on a train, posting on my phone on SA

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I want to say that the Arkham games did a better job of interrogation but then Arkham City had him beating the everloving poo poo out of Penguin to get info.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jose posted:

Better than the Avengers is a pretty low bar to pass with me since it single-handedly turned me off the MCU for years.

But I still need to buy BvS. I bought Watchmen Ultimate Cut and plan to see that first. (after I finish the comic of course) The only Snyder film I've seen up to now was 300, which some people I've talked to say was his best movie. God I hope I disagree with them because I hated 300. It truly wasn't even Snyder's fault, he was adapting garbage.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Scyantific posted:

I want to say that the Arkham games did a better job of interrogation but then Arkham City had him beating the everloving poo poo out of Penguin to get info.

Yeah Batman straight up tortures people in the arkham games. In Knight he squishes a dudes head with a slowly moving Batmobile. Multiple times Batman tortures people even after he gets the information he wants. "If you're lying, I'll break the other one." *crack* Was very gross.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Presumably he doesn't even have the the token decency to give them a ride to the airport in the batmobile, monologuing about the uselessness of torture.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here's how Batman really interrogates people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtsSj11dU-c

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Presumably he doesn't even have the the token decency to give them a ride to the airport in the batmobile, monologuing about the uselessness of torture.

That scene was more of a parody of South Park-esque "Y'know, I learned something today" speeches.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Here's how Batman really interrogates people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtsSj11dU-c

Wonder Woman and her lasso are right loving there!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Pops Mgee posted:

Wonder Woman and her lasso are right loving there!

The lasso didn't get its famous truth-telling power until much later in the show. :goonsay:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I always figured, in BvS and other depictions, that he doesn't need to torture and intimidate people and even doesn't need to interrogate them at all most of the time. But that he enjoys doing it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

And that's when he was green
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETk8eBbfN0
God that 2 parter was so great

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah Batman straight up tortures people in the arkham games. In Knight he squishes a dudes head with a slowly moving Batmobile. Multiple times Batman tortures people even after he gets the information he wants. "If you're lying, I'll break the other one." *crack* Was very gross.

I laughed out loud the first time I interrogated a Riddler thug.
"Tell me about the Riddler"
"Here's everything I know!"
"Thank you." *paralyzes the guy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

According to one of the comments "I know where you live, Floyd." was what they used in the recording session.

Which would never top nothing at all and letting the imagination fill in the blanks, but that's pretty short and sweet in itself.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just watched BvS Ultimate Cut:
1. Luthor got ahold of the tools he needed too easy.

2. How did he even know those were the things he needed? Educated guess that only Krytonian stuff could take down a Kryptonian? He sure was lucky.

3. Batman was too easily duped. I get his Fatal Flaw - he once was absolutely powerless and he never wants to feel that way again. Superman makes him feel that way again. I just think it might have been handled better.

4. Martha was right, Clark doesn't owe anyone poo poo.

Other than that, good movie. Don't get the hate for it. 5. Batman's fights make Nolan Batman's fights look even lamer than they already did.. Ben was a good Bats, a "unique" take on Lex and Supes was...meh. Superman. Dean Cain is still my favorite Clark Kent, though. Terrible Superman but I liked his Clark.

Looking forward to the Wonder Woman movie. In the meantime though I wanna check out X-Men First Class and Days of Future Past .DOFP especially interests me because it's such an iconic storyline and people's reaction to the movie vary from it was AMAZING t o thinking it was total garbage. I wanna see where I fall on that line.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I would definitely not go into DOFP thinking it is going to be incredible, but it's very good still.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Kurzon posted:

When is the last time you watched The Avengers? I suggest rewatching it.
What a cruel thing to say.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I hear it's improved by duct taping select areas of your screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I hear it's improved by duct taping select areas of your screen.
Mostly the visible parts.

• Locked thread