Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Double Bill posted:

Win/loss determines whether you rank goes up or down, presumably individual performance determines by how much but I've yet to see conclusive evidence of that. Also a loss drops your rank way more than a win raises it. poo poo's hosed.

Huh, same model as Splatoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That competitive ranking process was around the worst. I think out of the ten matches, I got two groups that featured people were like "hey let's group up and go for the objective." And those weren't even the match I won, that one I just happened to be on the right side of two deathmatch squads and pretty much got to hang out in the objectives unbothered.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 4, 2016

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Oh my goodness, some guy in solo-que competitive just told me that he hoped I got cancer. :(

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Double Bill posted:

Win/loss determines whether you rank goes up or down, presumably individual performance determines by how much but I've yet to see conclusive evidence of that. Also a loss drops your rank way more than a win raises it. poo poo's hosed.

That's probably just observational bias. You remember huge losses and tiny gains more than small losses and huge gains (because you totally earned those).

Check your competitive statistics.

Mine is 29/63 won and I'm 2 levels lower than in beginning. Checks out.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

pippy posted:

Must have killed yourself too. :P

I didn't that's the strange thing :3:

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

adhuin posted:

That's probably just observational bias. You remember huge losses and tiny gains more than small losses and huge gains (because you totally earned those).

Check your competitive statistics.

Mine is 29/63 won and I'm 2 levels lower than in beginning. Checks out.

I'm at 47% win rate and I've dropped 4 points.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but apparently Soldier 76's gun recoil (or reticle bloom, more accurately) is linked to client side framerate and therefore by using a mouse macro at high framerates you can effectively fire in full-auto mode with zero recoil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqXydfeSofY

Full discussion on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4r54e9/dear_blizzard_soldier_76s_gun_is_broken_due_to/

Apparently this "hack" has been known for a while, and in hindsight I've definitely been killed by Soldiers exploiting this (and probably you have too).

Kind of an odd one to get wrong considering we've already had two decades of shooters to teach us "never trust the client".

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i feel like this could've been avoided by adding a timer to dad gun's spread reset, so if someone uses a macro to fire individual shots/short bursts with almost no downtime beween them the spread would stay and continue to increase

though im not gonna act like my backseat game design is true and correct there's probably a reason why they didn't do it

RottenK fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 4, 2016

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

NoDamage posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but apparently Soldier 76's gun recoil (or reticle bloom, more accurately) is linked to client side framerate and therefore by using a mouse macro at high framerates you can effectively fire in full-auto mode with zero recoil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqXydfeSofY

Full discussion on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4r54e9/dear_blizzard_soldier_76s_gun_is_broken_due_to/

Apparently this "hack" has been known for a while, and in hindsight I've definitely been killed by Soldiers exploiting this (and probably you have too).

Kind of an odd one to get wrong considering we've already had two decades of shooters to teach us "never trust the client".

interested to see if seagull's 76 still has godlike aim during full auto bursts after this gets patched. People in his chat asked him if he was tapping to aim or something and he said "76 gets 4 shots that are accurate, just try to hit the 4 shots" while he was clearly going like full auto all the time and hitting all his shots. I knew about tap aiming and tried it a bit but gently caress getting carpal tunnel.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That explains a lot. I play a lot of 76 and I feel like I have pretty good aim, but I never can pull off the damage I've seen others do. I just thought was unlucky.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
The game just resets your recoil every time you let off the fire button, so just hold for 3-4 shots, left and immediately press for another 3-4 shots. The only thing that a macro is going to do is help with the minor aiming difficult you likely will have clicking your mouse button rather than holding it down (which for most people is likely substantial). Seems like that guy's analysis is over complicating things? I've been hold/release/holding 76's gun since day one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RottenK posted:

i feel like this could've been avoided by adding a timer to dad gun's spread reset, so if someone uses a macro to fire individual shots/short bursts with almost no downtime beween them the spread would stay and continue to increase

though im not gonna act like my backseat game design is true and correct there's probably a reason why they didn't do it

It's the fast and lazy way to do it. It's kinda only okay on consoles, where you know what framerate your getting but you'd have to be pretty dumb to do it on PC where the specs vary so wildly.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Anyone else swap mei m1 and m2? I find it so much easier to aim the projectile with the standard left click

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Essobie posted:

The game just resets your recoil every time you let off the fire button, so just hold for 3-4 shots, left and immediately press for another 3-4 shots. The only thing that a macro is going to do is help with the minor aiming difficult you likely will have clicking your mouse button rather than holding it down (which for most people is likely substantial). Seems like that guy's analysis is over complicating things? I've been hold/release/holding 76's gun since day one.

The issue the OP is bringing up is that the tap is tied to framerate, so with a high framerate and a macro you can set that tap time to ostensibly be less than manually possible.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

flashman posted:

Anyone else swap mei m1 and m2? I find it so much easier to aim the projectile with the standard left click

This sounds like the perfect excuse for me to play more Mei.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Papercut posted:

The issue the OP is bringing up is that the tap is tied to framerate, so with a high framerate and a macro you can set that tap time to ostensibly be less than manually possible.

I'm kinda surprised they left tapping in the game at all since it seems like they otherwise went to pains to eliminate execution barriers. Why not set hard time limits on recoil and add a burst mode so people can hold M1 and get perfectly accurate bursts?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Papercut posted:

Yeah, but it is quite possible to let off and reclick faster than the time window between two shots. The macro shouldn't be tapping for you, it should be releasing then pressing/holding for you, and only after 3 shots or so. Framerate seems irrelevant.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled now that I have a system that can put me at 200+Hz.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
I really need blizzard to come out soon and ban these loving leavers from comp play. It's insane how many leavers there are.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Easy Mac posted:

I really need blizzard to come out soon and ban these loving leavers from comp play. It's insane how many leavers there are.

Need a three-strikes penalty for this kind of thing. First is a warning. Second is an XP/point and/or rating penalty. Third strike is a competitive ban for the season.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

icantfindaname posted:

I dont care enough about this game to do the competitive mode poo poo but from what I'm reading the ranks are literally based purely on win/loss? Is that for real. Lol blizzard

they aren't, people just make staggeringly dumb assumptions about how matchmaking works (exacerbated by Blizzard not explaining it except very generally)

e: let me clarify; your win/loss percentage, as a statistic, does not determine your rank and is not used in matchmaking, this is good

MMR only increases on a win and only decreases on a loss, this is also good

the amount your MMR increases or decreases depends on how "well" you did in-game based on various statistics and this is, at best, unnecessary, and at worst actively distorts MMR but lol that's Blizzard for you

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 4, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Essobie posted:

Yeah, but it is quite possible to let off and reclick faster than the time window between two shots. The macro shouldn't be tapping for you, it should be releasing then pressing/holding for you, and only after 3 shots or so. Framerate seems irrelevant.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled now that I have a system that can put me at 200+Hz.

I guess that brings up the additional question of whether tapping fast enough lets you fire faster than the auto speed.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

they aren't, people just make staggeringly dumb assumptions about how matchmaking works (exacerbated by Blizzard not explaining it except very generally)

e: let me clarify; your win/loss percentage, as a statistic, does not determine your rank and is not used in matchmaking, this is good

the amount your MMR increases or decreases depends on how "well" you did in-game based on various statistics and this is, at best, unnecessary, and at worst actively distorts MMR but lol that's Blizzard for you

I don't understand what's going on with competitive rank. I'd assume it's balanced so that the average rank is 50 and that half of all players are above that, but nobody from this thread and only 2/8 of my ranked friends are above 50 in rank. MasterOverwatch claims that the 50% above 50 thing is true, though, so is it just that we're all bad? Are there a bunch of people lurking in this thread who are secretly good and just never speak up? Is the top half of Ranked populated exclusively by people who played the beta a ton?

I do think it's pretty annoying that so many people are set up to backslide upon placement, though. They should really seed you maybe five to ten ranks under what they expect you to settle into so that you don't just immediately hit a poo poo wall when you start. I ranked in with 49, managed to hold at 47 for a while, then had an awful 8 game losing streak of offensive Torbs and dropped matches that dunked me down to 44ish where I'm currently hovering. Looking at that 'season high score!' and knowing that odds are good I'll leave the season with it is pretty depressing.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I have seen a good number of people in this thread and forum saying they are higher and lower than 50 rank (upwards of 65 I think I've seen). Obviously most people are going to be very close to 50 in here and I think it's just confirmation bias on your part.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

NoDamage posted:

Wow, this needs to be hotfixed.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I solo queued and ended up at rank 53 despite going 5-5 and having some of those wins be on KOTH. I've probably lost 80% of the competitive games since.

I think the problem is partly observational. We go solo queue, run into a couple of pre-mades, drop rank due to the KOTH bug and then it looks to us like everyone is hovering around rank 45-49. The truth is if everyone goes up one rank for winning and down one rank for losing, then the average will be about 50, depending on where everyone is "placed" after their first 10 matches. Because of the KOTH bug, the average will probably be slightly less than 50 for this season. But since you only match up with people in your range, you'll probably see mostly sub-50s.

Also since the game is so heavily team-oriented, I think only people in pre-mades will stay in the 60s. Even if I was a grade-A pubstomper like in TF2, I don't think it is possible to carry a team against people who are coordinating over coms. But that is a good thing!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Double Bill posted:

Also a loss drops your rank way more than a win raises it. poo poo's hosed.

This isn't true. In fact, it's mathematically not possible.

Since every win for one player is a loss for another, the total number of wins and losses happening across the playerbase is equal. This means that if your rank ALWAYS dropped more for a loss than it increased for a win, the average player's skill rating would be steadily getting lower. That's not what's happening. The actual distribution is a symmetrical bell curve centered neatly at 50, and the only way for this to be possible is for net reductions and net gains among the playerbase to be equal overall.

For every player that's seeing nothing but big drops and tiny gains, there is also a player out there seeing big gains and tiny drops. But most players will be seeing changes of various sizes in both directions, especially those who are near the middle of the curve.

Slowpoke! posted:

Because of the KOTH bug, the average will probably be slightly less than 50 for this season.

Kaplan said that bug was zero sum-- it limited rank increases, but it also limited decreases at the same time.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 4, 2016

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

A system that actively punishes people for helping their teammates lmao.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Then it's just an observational bias. We are all baddies posting in the non-tryhard Overwatch thread. There is probably a tryhard thread out there where everyone is wondering where all the level 40 posters are and complaining about rank inflation.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

Kaplan said that bug was zero sum-- it limited rank increases, but it also limited decreases at the same time.

Overall that's true, but if you were unlucky enough to have most of your wins be KOTH and most of your losses not, then it certainly wasn't zero sum. Or even aside from luck, if you're just better at KOTH than other modes. Although now that it's fixed, that loss of rank should correct itself pretty quickly.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Papercut posted:

Overall that's true, but if you were unlucky enough to have most of your wins be KOTH and most of your losses not, then it certainly wasn't zero sum. Or even aside from luck, if you're just better at KOTH than other modes. Although now that it's fixed, that loss of rank should correct itself pretty quickly.

Well, it would still be zero-sum from overall ranking perspective. Not from your perspective though, which is a problem since people only care about themselves and don't give a poo poo about whether the global 50/50 average is maintained.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I went 6-4 in placement matches, 8 of them solo queued. Three of the losses were because someone quit during the first round. I got placed at rank 51. Is that about right? I have no idea what the context is for a rank - like is 50 supposed to be average?

Literally just discussed on this page so I'm a dumbass...but anyway.

Re: Soldier 76, I've been trying the tap shooting for a while now and it seems to work out pretty well. It's perfect for mid and mid-long engagements where you're just trying to put some damage down, not necessarily 1v1 them.

torb main fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 4, 2016

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, I went 7-3 in my placements and had some pretty good performances in there, racking up a ton of medals. I was placed at 58 (and am at 59 now).

A friend of mine queued with the rest of our group yesterday and did his 10 placements, went 9-1, and was placed at 51. He has just average games most of the time.

So definitely not just wins and losses.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Went 7-3, placed 52.

All 3 losses were to double reaper.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FranktheBank posted:

Went 7-3, placed 52.

All 3 losses were to double reaper.

What is the appropriate response to double Reaper? I had okay success going junkrat against this yesterday but it still felt harder than it should have.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Macaluso posted:

The team balance suggestions really need to be changed. No sniper and no builder is worthless. We don't NEED either of those, and most of the time the snipers are useless anyway. I also think the no tank suggestion isn't that helpful either. You probably want a tank, but there's plenty of situations where you don't. I think "low team damage" is a much better suggestion than the "few defense" or "few offense" suggestions. I think the only suggestion that is 100% important is the "no support" suggestion, but of course that's hindered by Symmetra being on support instead of defense for some insane reason

The suggestions are poo poo because it'll say low damage if you have roadhog and junkrat.

I'd rather deal with randoms playing them, then using widowmaker on attack.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Combo posted:

Yeah, I went 7-3 in my placements and had some pretty good performances in there, racking up a ton of medals. I was placed at 58 (and am at 59 now).

A friend of mine queued with the rest of our group yesterday and did his 10 placements, went 9-1, and was placed at 51. He has just average games most of the time.

So definitely not just wins and losses.
Definitely, to keep it tl;dr I had some shitter placements and went 3-7 but ranked at 47 or 48, I forget which. Currently at 50 after another 24 games beyond placement.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Mcree is a solid anti Reaper character. Mei is 50/50 on who uses their ice wall/wraith form first.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Some science for people.

One leaver loss on top of what was shown here. We got stomped first and last game. The other loss was close. I solo queued Lucio the entire time too.

Medal Counts for my games.

15 gold medals
2 silver medals
9 bronze medals

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think I am ready to join the 'tism Prism. I think it's possible the enemy team was drunk here, especially the Genji at the end: https://gfycat.com/DishonestRemoteJavalina

This one was just satisfying as all hell. Even the Ninja brothers are not stronger than an insane lady with a laser chainsaw when they meet up in a back alley. Also demonstrates why it's always important to poop a turret before turning a blind corner.
https://gfycat.com/ImpoliteBowedBluebreastedkookaburra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Papercut posted:

What is the appropriate response to double Reaper? I had okay success going junkrat against this yesterday but it still felt harder than it should have.

I asked this earlier in the thread. No answers. Someone said mccree, so i guess ill try that.