Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
labour MPs wont stop bitching and moaning and backstabbing, now whinge "why wont he try to unify us it's not faiiiiiirr"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OldMemes posted:

It's getting embrassing now.

It sure is OldMemes

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I wish i could call the plp bastard morons to their mewling faces instead of having to respond to low quality trolls on a dead gay Internet forum

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

baka kaba posted:

It sure is OldMemes

Well if Corbyn doesn't go, what is the endgame? Does Corbyn go into a cacoon and merge as a leader? Or does he stay a protestor, stay wishy washy, ignore the non-momentum part of the party, the floating voeters, the traditional Labour base etc, and lose the election.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

hes actually already a leader, you can tell because he was overwhelmingly voted to the position of leader and it says leader under his name on the news

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OldMemes posted:

Well if Corbyn doesn't go, what is the endgame?

Train nationalisation in the Labour manifesto. Landslide Tory government. Everyone in this thread proclaims Corbin a huge success for changing the political landscape.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think Corbyn should mandate a Bring Your Cat To Work day

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I haven't got a cat.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Well if Corbyn doesn't go, what is the endgame? Does Corbyn go into a cacoon and merge as a leader? Or does he stay a protestor, stay wishy washy, ignore the non-momentum part of the party, the floating voeters, the traditional Labour base etc, and lose the election.

The voters are running because of the PLP clusterfuck, not because of Corbyn. The cry of "he's unelectable!!!" from the Blairites is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If they shut up and weren't backstabbing fucks they might have actually had a chance.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

I haven't got a cat.

El Gato is everyone's cat, in solidarity

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Having an actual, high-profile, left-wing voice in British politics, consistently banging on about re-nationalization, rights, etc. for several years on the national stage is a worthwhile thing. What's the other alternative? Labour chooses some indistinguishable arsehole, fails to win over Tory voters yet again etc etc forever.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The trains do badly need nationalising though.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Pissflaps posted:

Train nationalisation in the Labour manifesto. Landslide Tory government. Everyone in this thread proclaims Corbin a huge success for changing the political landscape.

couldn't you have picked an actually divisive issue than one the majority of the country is behind? https://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/11/04/nationalise-energy-and-rail-companies-say-public/

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dex_sda posted:

The voters are running because of the PLP clusterfuck, not because of Corbyn.

Jherembe's rock bottom approval ratings and inability to improve Labour's polling throughout his leadership suggest this is a figleaf argument not grounded in reality.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

brian posted:

couldn't you have picked an actually divisive issue than one the majority of the country is behind? https://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/11/04/nationalise-energy-and-rail-companies-say-public/

The Tory landslide isn't because train nationalisation is in the Labour manifesto.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I just watched that Chuka Umunna video and jfc why would he upload that to his own channel? Does he lack self-awareness to the point where he thought he looked good? He somehow managed to look like the bigger idiot questioning a man who seems physically incapable of not mentioning Adolf Hitler on the subject of anti-Semitism.

Like he started listing incidents where Livingstone compared individual Jewish people to Nazis and I thought he was gearing up to make a decent point of whether or not Ken thought those were the best analogies to use considering the context and how likely you are to offend people by doing that, but instead he asks if Ken would say that about black people, and insists on a yes or no answer. Not a black person, where the analogy would be less likely to cause the same offence anyone, but black people. Like was he asking if Ken would say the entire black population are Nazis? And he has to be told to shut up by Keith Vaz because he keeps insisting on a yes or no answer to his ridiculous question.

And this is the man the Blairites wanted to lead the party. If you can't win a debate with Ken Livingstone about anti-Semitism, you should probably retire from politics honestly.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oberleutnant posted:

I haven't got a cat.

I aven't got a job. We should hang out, rob some pet shops.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Carborundum posted:

Having an actual, high-profile, left-wing voice in British politics, consistently banging on about re-nationalization, rights, etc. for several years on the national stage is a worthwhile thing. What's the other alternative? Labour chooses some indistinguishable arsehole, fails to win over Tory voters yet again etc etc forever.

This all over.

Given the choice between fighting from the left and fighting from the centre (and I suspect that both options are about the same in terms of likelihood of success, the former probably a little more so) I'd far prefer to drag political discourse in this country leftwards rather than watch it inexorably march further right.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Pissflaps posted:

The Tory landslide isn't because train nationalisation is in the Labour manifesto.

oh come on at least try to maintain an outwardly consistent belief in whatever it is you're pretending to believe so you can get us all good with the trolling

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

dex_sda posted:

The voters are running because of the PLP clusterfuck, not because of Corbyn. The cry of "he's unelectable!!!" from the Blairites is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If they shut up and weren't backstabbing fucks they might have actually had a chance.

yep if they had let him fail on his own instead of undermining him constantly and fighting a running battle against their own membership they might have had more success convincing his supporters it was all his fault but they didn't, they kept tension high and deliberately made the party look disunited and it's not the sort of act of political genius that has me massively convinced by their leadership or judgement

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey, did you all hear the good news? Brexit might actually be unlawful for.... reasons (????)

I keep forgetting how garbage Comment Is Free is.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
You can just blame everything on Blairites.

Corbyn unpopular? Blairites.
No free gift in the cereal box? Blairites.
Rain washed out the cricket? Blairites.

At some point Corbyn has to come out and defend his leadership himself, rather than having momentum blame the blairites hiding behind the door for everything.

Yes, Blairites can be pretty bad, but Corbyn needs to justify, well Corbynims, rather than vague platitudes about how 'nice' and 'honest' he is. Maybe Corbyn is a secret Blairite. We have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

dex_sda posted:

It's not a prophecy, it's a promise. They'll actively work to make it happen, and they've been hard at it

Remember: Tony Blair says he wouldn’t want a left-wing Labour party to win an election

quote:

“Let me make my position clear: I wouldn’t want to win on an old-fashioned leftist platform. Even if I thought it was the route to victory, I wouldn’t take it.”

“Even if you did [win] it wouldn’t be right because it wouldn’t take the country forward, it would take it backwards. That’s why it’s not the right thing to do.”

Labour winning under Corbyn is a personal failure for them and the faction that put them into place. Their guaranteed career paths evaporating as the old order gives way. They're fighting for survival as well as 'tough decisions'

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Jherembe's rock bottom approval ratings and inability to improve Labour's polling throughout his leadership suggest this is a figleaf argument not grounded in reality.

Glad you deleted the part of the quote that addresses this point - the guy's been running into this bullshit for a year. Plus if he's so bad how come he would still win any leadership bid in a huge landslide?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

baka kaba posted:

It's not a prophecy, it's a promise. They'll actively work to make it happen, and they've been hard at it

Yes, this is pretty much what I mean.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah, it's because the PLP decided to conclude a suicide pact due to petty anxiety. Your party politics is a loving joke mate.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

I aven't got a job. We should hang out, rob some pet shops.

Sounds good, i'm in.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'd rather lose an election campaigning on renationalising the railways than lose one dog whistling to racists about "controls on immigration" tbh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dex_sda posted:

Glad you deleted the part of the quote that addresses this point - the guy's been running into this bullshit for a year. Plus if he's so bad how come he would still win any leadership bid in a huge landslide?

Because winning the Labour leadership does not directly correlate with the ability to lead Labour or win a general election.

He's the Boaty McBoatface of political appointees.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

dex_sda posted:

We had to destroy the party to save it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/750008876850900994

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

XMNN posted:

I'd rather lose an election campaigning on renationalising the railways than lose win one dog whistling to racists about "controls on immigration" tbh
Lemme fix this.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, did you all hear the good news? Brexit might actually be unlawful for.... reasons (????)

I keep forgetting how garbage Comment Is Free is.

:ughh: At least we can take comfort in the knowledge that during the great purge Guardian HQ will be the first rounded up and sent to the camps.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Pissflaps posted:

David Attenborough is Flaps' choice to be the new Labour leader, you heard it here first!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Because winning the Labour leadership does not directly correlate with the ability to lead Labour or win a general election.

If the leader doesn't have the mandate of his party, what's the point of a party even existing? It should be people united under a similar idea, not a carefully calculated winning bid.

Ideally it would be people united under a similar idea who have a chance of winning, but Corbyn is not the guy to blame for that not being the case with Labour. His leadership is right now one of the most ironclad thing in British politics.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dex_sda posted:

If the leader doesn't have the mandate of his party, what's the point of a party even existing?

I don't want Labour to have a leader that doesn't have a mandate.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Kegluneq posted:

David Attenborough is Flaps' choice to be the new Labour leader, you heard it here first!

The man or the undemocratically named ship?

oh that's literally the joke, loving missed posts on this phone.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

How do you reconcile that with the fact that you want the only person who can currently reasonably claim to have a mandate to resign?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

So, who do you think labour should pick to lead them that would have a mandate, have the support of the party and be capable of winning the general election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Did they do a May/Leadsom head to head? The way the Tories elect their leaders this doesn't really mean all that much.

• Locked thread