Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Photex posted:

Not surprised that cockbag JoshOG was being a scumbag, he's also a co-owner of the site.

I feel like you could safely call any popular streamer that spends a lot of time on gambling or giveaways a scumbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just heard about this and holy poo poo.

Valve really better step in on this one, on top of other things. This is fifty kinds of hosed esp. when you see their promotional videos.

Then again honestly how illegal it is to do what they're doing, they need more than that.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

So there's like 10 million people watching youtube videos of "personalities" gambling. Well. I kinda could understand people watching a stream of a guy gambling because he's queuing. Watching a video of it not so much. The whole situation seems to have gotten wildly out of control.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Haha, this owns. I hope someone has to hang for this

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bohemian Nights posted:

Haha, this owns. I hope someone has to hang for this

I think we can go ahead and hang all streamers on youtube with high subscription counts, the world will be a better place

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

skins have no real world value according to valve :D

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I just wanna chime in on the JoshOG hate and say the only times I've watched his stream he's come across as someone I would describe as a 'stupid loving stoner' so it doesn't surprise me one bit that he's doing stupid poo poo like this

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
This is the most interesting thing to happen to the game in years.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
In other news, someone has apparently found a way to force reports into the overwatch system?

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/4r6hym/people_have_found_a_way_to_force_cheaters_into/

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Bohemian Nights posted:

In other news, someone has apparently found a way to force reports into the overwatch system?

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/4r6hym/people_have_found_a_way_to_force_cheaters_into/

And it's gone! Faster than kids betting skins on csgoskins.com

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katamari Democracy posted:

And it's gone! Faster than kids betting skins on csgoskins.com

valve will never voluntarily kill betting because they know that the inflated prices for items on the steam market exists of the artificial demand it creates. look at how ft asiimovs were a stable $60 forever until gtav came out, and then the flood of them coming onto the market crashed the price and it never recovered because they were never worth that price nor the $20ish price they are now. they are worth nothing, not because valve says that in their tos, its because they are literally loving texture files on your harddrive

but the sheer volume of transactions on the steam market means that its super profitable for them, and the us government won't punish them nearly hard enough. it's like that scene from fight club where the motor companies find recalling faulty cars unprofitable, even if it is the moral path

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Why do people it's safe to cheat once per 24h? Is there any data to support this?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

PerOlus posted:

Why do people it's safe to cheat once per 24h? Is there any data to support this?

None other than it being a repeated claim on various hacking forums and kind of backed up by the fact that people can spinbot without a shadow of a doubt in a game, be reported by 5 players, and never end up OW'd.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I think I should try and sell my most expensive skins before opskins gets blasted by the ftc

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

exethan posted:

I think I should try and sell my most expensive skins before opskins gets blasted by the ftc

I'm curious, what is OPSkins doing that'll get them blasted? If you assume they are paying taxes aren't they just an auction house for in game items?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
They're affiliated with a lot of the gambling sites and streamers so I wouldn't be surprised to see them listed as complicit if this gets federal attention and investigated by actual law enforcement

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Hahahahahahahaha Jesus Christ

http://www.pcgamer.com/csgo-lotto-i...=buffer_pcgamer

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/04/popular-youtubers-implicated-in-counter-strike-betting-scandal?abthid=577a812219c442027b000006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC1tH7f441c&feature=youtu.be&t=413

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It would really be insanely funny if the whole skin business got shut down by the US Gov't. At the same time I'd feel bad for all those 16 year old skin millionaires. It's certainly possible that sites like CSGO Lotto could be banned, but I imagine sites like CS:GO Lounge could survive, not only because it is more a betting site, but also because it is owned in Poland (iirc) and it will be nigh on impossible to prevent people circumventing a site ban using proxies.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

yeah brother that will keep you out of trouble

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Depths posted:

yeah brother that will keep you out of trouble

Judge: "Mr. Martin, you may now present your defense."
TmarTn: "lol oops #sorrynotsorry"

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Jeza posted:

It would really be insanely funny if the whole skin business got shut down by the US Gov't. At the same time I'd feel bad for all those 16 year old skin millionaires. It's certainly possible that sites like CSGO Lotto could be banned, but I imagine sites like CS:GO Lounge could survive, not only because it is more a betting site, but also because it is owned in Poland (iirc) and it will be nigh on impossible to prevent people circumventing a site ban using proxies.

Honestly valve's whole business strategy since TF2 needs to be banned, it's making a generation of addicts.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Very interesting post on reddit that FaZe are the owners of CS:GO Wild, and have won a whole lot on stream on the site.

http://dramaalert.com/forum/threads/faze-clan-owns-csgo-wild.1209/?ckattempt=1

CS:GO Wild is a registered business in Antigua, and two co-owners of FaZe posted about their trip to Antigua only a few months ago:

https://twitter.com/fazeapex/status/697859045651140608

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/4r77x5/sirscoots_on_twitter_heard_a_rumor_that/d4yte9a

:spooky:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

So steam nuked his site. Good.

I wonder if the guy was proper scamming people. Apart from the game is rigged against you basic scam that is gambling. Like when that moe clown knew the rolls beforehand he was just playing against the site so the issue people had other than promoting gambling to stupid tweeners was just that he was giving people a very misleading notion about the probability of winning. In the latest scandal it looks like he's straight up taking money off strangers because he/they could know the outcome. Unless he owns the accounts he's betting against which is possible.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
How did these sites even make money?

Did house take a cut, or was it just ads?

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 4, 2016

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

slavatuvs posted:

how did these sites even make money?

house takes a cut.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

slavatuvs posted:

how did these sites even make money?

I know some of them take cuts. I tried the duel arena at CSGO Lotto a few times because I'm a loving moron and there was occasionally, like, a 10% cut from your winnings.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I've also wondered that. It's pretty clear how OPSkins and the likes make money, but are these betting sites and CSGOLounge really valued off of how many skins they own on a bot? It has real value, but that is probably the worst way to be rich.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

They're probably pretty religious about turning their cut into real money. No one wants 40000 p90 asimovs

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Photex posted:

house takes a cut.

and then what?

selling them immediately on the market?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hello mr bank manager i'd like to take out a loan? Security you say? why yes here is by pristine ep1cn00bkiller skin for an asset on a video game

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Goofballs posted:

They're probably pretty religious about turning their cut into real money. No one wants 40000 p90 asimovs

This is what I don't get. You'd have to exchange items to keys and then undersell the keys. It all seems like a bad way of getting anything besides money that is tied to a bot's steam account.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

slavatuvs posted:

This is what I don't get. You'd have to exchange items to keys and then undersell the keys. It all seems like a bad way of getting anything besides money that is tied to a bot's steam account.

you don't have to exchange items to keys, i'd imagine the large cuts end up on OPSkins.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Sir Scoots is on a goddamned crusade https://twitter.com/SirScoots

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I didn't watch the vape nation guy vid, but will legal action really be taken against anyone or will the government just shut it down?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I don't think anyone knows how this will shake out yet. I assume valve has to comment at some point, so I'm looking forwards to some handwaving about how skins don't have any actual value

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

i mean valve really should be held responsible for all off this

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

It'll be pretty hilarious if the government has to step in to deal with this. These sites are making a lot of money from allowing children to gamble and it's really only been a matter of time until this boils over. I do wonder what'll happen to the price of skins if all of these gambling sites get shut down

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I have a green famas worth 2 cents, should I liquidate my CS equities before the market goes bust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
It's pretty sweet though, I'd hate to part with it.