Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Hey why do the Gundam SEED and Destiny "HD" versions look like such total garbage? Did they really just crop to 16:9 and do a bad upscale?

Some frames were redrawn to look more on model. On model looks worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They also redid a fair amount of CG.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
They also made changes to some scenes to make Kira even more perfect and make other characters dumber.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The new ED isn't as good as the old one

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I want to read this comic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love Part 4 too.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Return of Johnny Ridden is a fun read, a lot of the suits are stupid though

The mobile suits that is that Yazan is classy as gently caress

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I love Part 4 too.

"Your next line is ' Blame this on the misfortune of your birth'!"

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
What a beautiful Juaggu

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

I want to read this comic

Wow Yazan's design does not mesh well with whats-her-name. they look like they came from two different shows.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That expression he's making is pretty darn smug. gently caress yeah, Yazan!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just fantasisin' about gruesome murder, same as usual.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Just fantasisin' about turtles, same as usual.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Wow Yazan's design does not mesh well with whats-her-name. they look like they came from two different shows.

If you think that's bad, read the Plot to Assassinate Gihren manga. It has modern anime characters rolling with late 70s cartoon villains (the Zabis) and Gihren's secretary with her late 70s-early 80s as gently caress hair, which is about as jarring as you'd expect.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Monaghan posted:

Super Robot Wars does this practically all the time, with maybe like one or two exceptions. You have stuff like Gundam SEED character design colliding headfirst into Evangelion character design or Crossbone Gundam character design trying to sit alongside GoShogun character design.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have all designs be done by Toshihiro Kawamoto, so there is variety but also similarity.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

That expression he's making is pretty darn smug. gently caress yeah, Yazan!

Yazan is very cool in Ridden, though he is not as murder-crazy as you perhaps might expect

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 6, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

closeted republican posted:

If you think that's bad, read the Plot to Assassinate Gihren manga. It has modern anime characters rolling with late 70s cartoon villains (the Zabis) and Gihren's secretary with her late 70s-early 80s as gently caress hair, which is about as jarring as you'd expect.

It's pretty great though. Everybody's got sideburns too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have all designs be done by Toshihiro Kawamoto, so there is variety but also similarity.
If we're going down that path, why not just go for Hisashi Hirai all over again?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AradoBalanga posted:

If we're going down that path, why not just go for Hisashi Hirai all over again?

Because Kawamoto is actually good, unlike Hirai? Personal taste factors into it, sure, but Kawamoto doesn't do sameface nearly as much as Hirai designs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hirai can have some variation. Just not in his SEED designs, or when people want him to do SEED-esque designs (looking at you Fafner).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Are we just leaving YAS out to be contrary? Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, man. You got relatively grounded looking guys like Bright and Sayla alongside more exaggerated figures like Dozle without any issues.

Plus, you know. He designed Yazan, if I remember right. Credit where due.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Are we just leaving YAS out to be contrary? Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, man. You got relatively grounded looking guys like Bright and Sayla alongside more exaggerated figures like Dozle without any issues.

Plus, you know. He designed Yazan, if I remember right. Credit where due.

If everything could look like Unicorn or Origin's updates of his old 80s work, I'd have no issues. I just really love Kawamoto's work.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
RE:0096 was confirmed to be 22 episodes, so it looks like there's not going to be any new footage at all.

The opening was a lie.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was wondering how they would reach 26 episodes at this pace, even if their recaps were taking 4 minutes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus Christ, if War in the Pocket is supposed to show the horrors of war from its impact on civilians, Thunderbolt is tailored to show how war turns men into psychopaths forced to give up their humanity. It also makes mobile suit combat loving terrifying, and almost makes me feel bad for the Zeon. Almost.

Between December Sky and the conclusion of Origin this fall, this is a great year for early era Gundam stuff.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 6, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

closeted republican posted:

Old man Degwin Sodo Zabi and Dozle Zabi both don't even look like human beings. I haven't watched Origin yet, are they shown yet? I suppose Degwin wasn't always that ancient, but still, the man looks more like Jabba the Hutt than an actual person, and Dozle could quite literally be 8 or 9 feet tall.

Kcylia or however you want to spell her stupid name (go old-school with Kashiria?) looks relatively normal but has the worst fashion sense imaginable. Gihren is the most normal-looking of the bunch, and Garma is normal except for the hair color.

EDIT: Looked up Origin's depictions of them. Degwin still doesn't look human and even as a young girl Kcylia still wore the world's stupidest headwear.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 6, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Degwin looks like a mafia Don which kinda suits the zabi family.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So 2ish years ago I arbitrarily decided to watch everything in the UC universe. Here's the list I made when I started

- MSG (1979 - 43 ep series) DONE
- MS IGLOO (2004-2009, 3 cgi ova) SKIPPED
- 08th MS Team (1996, 12 ep ova) DONE
- 0080: War in the Pocket (1989, 6 ep ova) DONE
- 0083: Stardust Memory (1991, 13 ep ova) DONE
- Zeta (1985, 50 ep series) DONE
- ZZ (1986, 47 ep series) DONE
- Chars Counterattack (1988, movie) DONE
- Unicorn (2010, 7 ep ova) DONE
- F91 (1991, movie) DONE
- Victory (1993, 51 ep series) ON EP 50
- G-Savior (live action tv movie)

I'm just about done with Victory but I know theres been some new stuff airing (Thunderbolt / Origin?). Are they worth a watch? Where do they fit into the timeline?

also victory gets weird near the end

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Origin is good but kind of inferior to the manga so it depends on how you feel about that.
Thunderbolt is good but short.

Watch both.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Origin and thunderbolt are absolutely worth a watch. In fact thunderbolt just got a compilation movie released in English this past weekend.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuvo posted:

So 2ish years ago I arbitrarily decided to watch everything in the UC universe. Here's the list I made when I started

- MSG (1979 - 43 ep series) DONE
- MS IGLOO (2004-2009, 3 cgi ova) SKIPPED
- 08th MS Team (1996, 12 ep ova) DONE
- 0080: War in the Pocket (1989, 6 ep ova) DONE
- 0083: Stardust Memory (1991, 13 ep ova) DONE
- Zeta (1985, 50 ep series) DONE
- ZZ (1986, 47 ep series) DONE
- Chars Counterattack (1988, movie) DONE
- Unicorn (2010, 7 ep ova) DONE
- F91 (1991, movie) DONE
- Victory (1993, 51 ep series) ON EP 50
- G-Savior (live action tv movie)

I'm just about done with Victory but I know theres been some new stuff airing (Thunderbolt / Origin?). Are they worth a watch? Where do they fit into the timeline?

also victory gets weird near the end

Thunderbolt is definitely worth a look, but you might want to hold out for the upcoming compilation movie - unlike most, it's an expanded version of the original shorts with lots of extra footage. I hear good things about the Origin OVAs, too.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nice, I guess I'll check em both out.

Also whats the deal Reconguista in G? I've seen conflicting info on whether thats in the UC timeline. Is it one of these "dozens of centuries in the future" things like Turn A did or did I misread stuff?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Nice, I guess I'll check em both out.

Also whats the deal Reconguista in G? I've seen conflicting info on whether thats in the UC timeline. Is it one of these "dozens of centuries in the future" things like Turn A did or did I misread stuff?

That is because there is conflicting information.

It is about a thousand years in the distant future of the UC. The only question is if it is before or after Turn-A. Both answers have been given at different times but the seemingly 'true' one is that it is a post Turn-A series.

The honest answer is that it isn't important. It's in the distant future of the UC and that is all that matters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 6, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That is because there is conflicting information.

It is about a thousand years in the distant future of the UC. The only question is if it is before or after Turn-A. Both answers have been given at different times but the seemingly 'true' one is that it is a post Turn-A series.

The honest answer is that it isn't important. It's in the distant future of the UC and that is all that matters.

That 'it's after Turn A' claim came from a single interview which I don't really trust because it was very, very second-hand and contained a great deal of weird poo poo. G-Reco makes much more sense as a midpoint between the UC and Turn A.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

That 'it's after Turn A' claim came from a single interview which I don't really trust because it was very, very second-hand and contained a great deal of weird poo poo. G-Reco makes much more sense as a midpoint between the UC and Turn A.

At minimum the Blu-Ray version really does seem to imply that the G-Lucifer has a Moonlight Butterfly at least which would be a bit odd for a pre-Turn-A show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

At minimum the Blu-Ray version really does seem to imply that the G-Lucifer has a Moonlight Butterfly at least which would be a bit odd for a pre-Turn-A show.

I'm prepared to believe that it's an early prototype of what would eventually become the civilisation-wrecking Butterfly. Especially since they heavily imply that the G-Self Perfect Pack is a distant ancestor of the Turn A.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm prepared to believe that it's an early prototype of what would eventually become the civilisation-wrecking Butterfly. Especially since they heavily imply that the G-Self Perfect Pack is a distant ancestor of the Turn A.

The Turn-A itself is based off the Turn-X which is specifically extrasolar. (And Gym even calls the Turn-X the Turn-A's Big Brother.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Remember, the Moonlight Butterfly is ancient tech in Turn-A which caused the previous collapse of civilisation. It makes perfect sense for it (or something that will eventually become it) to be there in G-Reco.

But yeah, it really doesn't matter where G-Reco is in the UC timeline, because it's not related to UC stuff in any real way. It's not even like Turn-A where there are UC suits clearly in use throughout the show and playing an important plot role (though they do show up in a museum at the start for all of ten seconds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Remember, the Moonlight Butterfly is ancient tech in Turn-A which caused the previous collapse of civilisation. It makes perfect sense for it (or something that will eventually become it) to be there in G-Reco.

But yeah, it really doesn't matter where G-Reco is in the UC timeline, because it's not related to UC stuff in any real way. It's not even like Turn-A where there are UC suits clearly in use throughout the show and playing an important plot role (though they do show up in a museum at the start for all of ten seconds).

To be far the last battle takes place in Jaburo where we see the leftover remenants of UC suits too, but yeah, it's not really important when it is except "long after UC."