Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

What proportion of the TPS participants were queer, or genuine allies?

Essentially all in the float minus the high level executive officers. You volunteer your time to be on the float. You are either queer or very pro queer. Hard to say if all the high ranking ones are genuine because they have to show up regardless. The rank and file guys on the float arent getting paid, so Id imagine they just want to be there to support the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

zapplez posted:

Essentially all in the float minus the high level executive officers. You volunteer your time to be on the float. You are either queer or very pro queer. Hard to say if all the high ranking ones are genuine because they have to show up regardless. The rank and file guys on the float arent getting paid, so Id imagine they just want to be there to support the community.

:cawg:

Good job BLM-TO. Maybe they should embezzle or extort some more money over this.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Liberals quietly breaking promises on TFWP

quote:

On July 1, the cap on the number of low-wage temporary foreign workers a company can hire was set to be reduced to 10 per cent of the company’s workforce. Instead, the cap will stay where it is at 20 per cent.

Now that's ‪#‎RealChange‬

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/04/pride-toronto-now-owe-police-an-apology

lol cops are such loving histrionic babies

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Brought to you by Tim Hortons.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I know right? Like I try to imagine being the rank and file average guy in uniform, he can't be thinking, 'Yeah this is good. We do deserve an apology!"

I'd be embarrassed to have my union running around like this.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Gonna need those TFWs to help the airports' bottom line.

quote:

Could a “For Sale” sign soon be going up at Pearson International Airport?

The federal government is looking at whether Canada’s major airports should be sold off to private investors as a way to raise tens of billions of dollars in new cash to fund other infrastructure projects.

Transport Canada bureaucrats are reviewing the ownership structure of Canadian airports, now operated by not-for-profit airport authorities, to assess the possibilities of transferring them to for-profit enterprises — and collect a windfall in the process.
Asked about the review now underway, a Transport Canada spokesperson would only say that Transport Minister Marc Garneau is “leading an engagement process” to hear feedback on the review’s recommendations, including the “competitiveness of airports and the Canadian air sector.”

However, details of those consultations are still being worked out, the spokesperson said.

But two sources told Torstar that bureaucrats are under the gun to complete their review of options by August. There is speculation that their conclusions could help shape a potential mini-budget that could be rolled out this fall.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/07/03/ottawa-eyes-airport-sell-off-to-raise-infrastructure-cash.html

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh my god the Liberals are literal garbage.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Don't worry, guys. The Liberals won't sell off our airports; they'll just give them to private corporations on 999-year leases.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Just sell them to the CPP and be done with it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

OSI bean dip posted:

Don't worry, guys. The Liberals won't sell off our airports; they'll just give them to private Chinese state-owned corporations on 999-year leases.

ftfy

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Pearson is literally worse than the worst airport I've ever been to in my life in khartoum

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

It's a major public event for which they shut down parts of the city and it's attended by everyone from local City Councillors up to the Prime Minister. This isn't about "cishest people want[ing] to have their voices heard", it's a question of who is apparently allowed to have legitimate opinions on how a public event is run.

I would propose a counter example: when Quebec proposed a charter of values that was widely seen as discriminating against Muslims then leaders from the rest of Canada were quick to condemn what they viewed as a form of racism. Would it really have been reasonable for Quebec to say "Who are you to judge our values charter? You're not Quebecois." To me it just seems like part of democracy is that people are going to have opinions on events of public significance.

There is absolutely no sense in which a parade put on by a marginalised group to celebrate their successes and uniqueness and advocate for themselves is even a little bit like a government passing legislation to take away rights, come on.

quote:

Let's try to imagine a slightly different scenario where Toronto's Jewish population has a huge parade which shuts down the city and draws huge amounts of national and international attention. If the Jewish organizers of the event decided to make pro-Israeli political viewpoints a prominent part of the parade then am I not allowed, as a gentile, to have an opinion on this? A group is using the public space of my city to spread a particular message. I'm not saying I should get to control what they do but isn't my existence as a citizen of Toronto already enough for me to have a legitimate opinion on how my city's public spaces are used?
You're allowed to have an opinion. The parade organisers would be 100% right in not giving a poo poo about it. It's their parade, not yours. And do remember that the right to demonstrate and assemble is protected by the Charter.

quote:

I think people should be allowed to organize politically based around their cultural or sexual or ethnic identity. There's nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong with the idea that the Pride Parade should be organized and managed by the Queer community. I hope that this isn't controversial.

But the Pride Parade is a public event. It has political significance. It inevitably advances a certain set of interests. So it seems reasonable that people should be free to debate and discuss controversial questions like "should the police be represented at the Pride Parade"?

I think invoking positionality is a reasonable tactic within a debate, but it's not an excuse to avoid having the debate altogether. You can and should discuss the way that each persons' unique perspective will influence their beliefs. It's legitimate to argue that groups with systematically over looked beliefs should be given additional resources so that they can participate in public debate. But the idea that we can have public events where the majority of the public has no right to even form an opinion seems like a much more extreme position than you're willing to acknowledge.

I mean, straight people get to have an opinion, I guess. We just get to treat those opinions as unwelcome and ignore them. This is a debate that needs to happen within the queer community, having people from outside concern-trolling about the optics or chiming in about how really, in a sense, aren't the black the real homophobes isn't helpful.

quote:

Honest question: do you really not see how your statements could be interpreted as a supremely anti-political position which would seem to strip civic events of any sense of true "publicness" (for lack of a better term)? It would be nice if we could at least understand each other's positions, I really hate how quickly debates on this topic can become acrimonious and bitter.

At the very least can you give me a sense of how you would balance between the priority to protect certain viewpoints and the necessity of having some kind of abstract space in which public policy issues can be discussed in a hopefully democratic fashion?

No, I literally do not understand why straight people care about how we run our parade. It has no public policy implications beyond Toronto traffic getting disturbed for a day. If you're going to care this much about the internal decisions of a event using public space, I'd rather you concentrate your efforts on, I don't know, the choice of bib colours for the marathon. I'm sure GoodLife is looking forward to your input.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canadians are loving stupid. They'd rather get reamed by private corporations than pay $1 extra income tax to keep public assets from being sold off.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I literally can't understand why something that uses public funds and public facilities would be opined on by people, because I'm literally stupid

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

EvilJoven posted:

Oh my god the Liberals are literal garbage.

it's easy to understand why this'll get a pass, along with all the other totally unpredictable poo poo the libs are gonna get up to now that they're back with a majority, because the general public are like:

Do it ironically posted:

I'm literally stupid

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm sure there's already a dismissive term for bisexuals currently in heterosexual relationships.
Queer people can be ignorant too. Not saying they're not queer enough, just that they're ignorant.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Muskoka chair outrage from white people who didn't go to Pride.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

There is absolutely no sense in which a parade put on by a marginalised group to celebrate their successes and uniqueness and advocate for themselves is even a little bit like a government passing legislation to take away rights, come on.

I also gave the example of a Jewish group spreading a strongly pro-Israel message at a public parade, if you'd prefer to respond to that example.

quote:

You're allowed to have an opinion. The parade organisers would be 100% right in not giving a poo poo about it. It's their parade, not yours. And do remember that the right to demonstrate and assemble is protected by the Charter.

I mean, straight people get to have an opinion, I guess. We just get to treat those opinions as unwelcome and ignore them. This is a debate that needs to happen within the queer community, having people from outside concern-trolling about the optics or chiming in about how really, in a sense, aren't the black the real homophobes isn't helpful.

I don't want to bring my own sexual proclivities into this discussion but you shouldn't be assuming I'm heterosexual. You've put me in a position where I either implicitly accept your framing or I have to start describing my personal experiences and identifications just so that I'm allowed to even participate in this debate. You've created this artificial binary that completely freezes out anyone who might be somewhat ambiguous or unsure or simply uncomfortable discussing their own sexuality. That doesn't seem like a step toward inclusiveness.

quote:

No, I literally do not understand why straight people care about how we run our parade. It has no public policy implications beyond Toronto traffic getting disturbed for a day. If you're going to care this much about the internal decisions of a event using public space, I'd rather you concentrate your efforts on, I don't know, the choice of bib colours for the marathon. I'm sure GoodLife is looking forward to your input.

Of course it has more implication than the colours chosen for the marathon. For a seemingly bright policy oriented guy you sure are loving naive sometimes. Do you really not see how Pride Parade narrates a particular vision of Canada as a multicultural, tolerant and inclusive society? Are you seriously suggesting there's no political significance to who gets included or not included in Pride? I have to assume you're being disingenuous here because your other posts demonstrate a level of political sophistication and understanding that means you are definitely equipped to understand that there is in fact a difference.

For all your claims to the contrary, the fact that you see no significant difference between a public political event and the decoration scheme chosen by a hotel chain corresponds quite nicely with Thatcherite libertarianism: there is no society, there is no meaningful public conversation to be had, there's no room for input from citizens in their role as citizens, there are only private events run by private individuals who should be free to run those events however their local community sees fit, and any attempt to connect these events to any overarching politics is seen as unwelcome meddling.

Let's refer to a previous statement you made which seems to acknowledge what I'm saying:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Keep radical politics out of Pride, that's what I always say.

You can't simultaneously being saying Pride is a venue for radical politics but also that it's just another private event that happens to occur in public, no different than a corporate sponsored marathon.

You don't have to accept the opinions of people outside the community but given the social significance that Pride has assumed in recent years you don't get to shut people's criticism down so flippantly.

This has come up before: the question of whether this or that not-quite-mainstream-enough group, be it the Leather Daddies or Queers Against Israeli Apartheid, should be allowed to march has been debated. Interested members of the community are allowed to have an opinion on whether a major public parade in their city is going to involve groups like that because there are social (and not just private) implications to either allowing or barring such a group from participation. And if somebody raises such concerns in good faith and you tell me "You're not allowed to have an opinion" then I think they'd be justified in telling you off.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Cool, then you're on my side when I say that Canadians' opinions about Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, or American police officers who use excessive force against black Americans are unwelcome and easily dismissed unless said Canadians also have a passport with a large, creepy bald eagle staring at you on page 3. Right?

It's amazing how many of the protests in front of the U.S. consulate in Toronto either a) are about something that does not directly involve the U.S. at all or b) consist mostly of foreigners (with respect to the U.S.) opining on U.S. internal affairs. I'm sure you understand that it's not really their place to have an opinion on such matters if they're not American.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 4, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If this whole loving thread isn't a good reason to nuke Toronto I don't know what is

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is an intentional dodge.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Because the parade isn't exclusively a celebration, it's also a direct line of communication between a marginalized community to the greater community in Toronto. "We are here, this is who we are, we are your coworkers and neighbors and families."

If this was behind closed doors then sure, do whatever you like, but this is an intentionally public event meant to communicate with the public, and of course the public is going to respond.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

tagesschau posted:

Cool, then you're on my side when I say that Canadians' opinions about Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, or American police officers who use excessive force against black Americans are unwelcome and easily dismissed unless said Canadians also have a passport with a large, creepy bald eagle staring at you on page 3. Right?

It's amazing how many of the protests in front of the U.S. consulate in Toronto either a) are about something that does not directly involve the U.S. at all or b) consist mostly of foreigners (with respect to the U.S.) opining on U.S. internal affairs. I'm sure you understand that it's not really their place to have an opinion on such matters if they're not American.

It also seems to raise the spectre of an infinite regress since, due to intersectionality, everyone ultimately has a positionality entirely unique to themselves. Any political discussion rests on some implicit assumptions about people having enough underlying similarities to be able to communicate with each other on the basis of some shared experience(s).

There is a danger that my argument can be appropriated and used in bad faith by "concern trolls". But that's true of any argument. And this trend on the left or among liberals to redefine the rules of the debate so that all the contrary voices are inherently illegitimate and don't even need to be responded to just seems like a terrible misstep to me (though perhaps this is just my own form of naivety, since tribal politics seems to be on the norm in every other ideology).

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

namaste faggots posted:

If this whole loving thread isn't a good reason to nuke Toronto I don't know what is

The usual characters in Ottawa activism circles are already excitedly tweeting about our pride parade later this summer.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

namaste faggots posted:

Pearson is literally worse than the worst airport I've ever been to in my life in khartoum

I guess working PRC intelligence takes you to some pretty crazy places huh.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
lmao I'm not sure why the gently caress I thought D&D would be less subject to the usual brigade of snide straight people insisting that every queer person has to drop everything to heed and politely respond to their worthless uninformed opinions, but for some reason I did. At least the discussion was refreshingly sincere and constructive for a while there. I'll take what I can get, I guess.

e: I mean, yes, there are a handful of legitimate and worthwhile points scattered here and there that we could possibly benefit from discussing, but I'm not gonna slog through paragraphs of smuggery from a guy willing to argue from the perspective of "I refuse to understand the difference between wanting to retain a degree of control over your own traditional public event and wanting to Silence All Cishets" to find them.

Christ, even gunchat is better than this.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 5, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Angry Diplomat posted:

Now you're projecting.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well, you live up to your name.
Not much of a discussion if everyone else's opinion is immediately discounted.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
No seriously gun chat is better than this

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Angry Diplomat posted:

Only gun owners are allowed to have an opinion on their traditional activities from now on though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gun-chat is great. The hand-wringing worrying that an AR with a semi receiver and pinned magazines is the same as a machine gun is pretty funny.

Maybe since the Tories went to Pride the Libs can go to the range instead of highlighting scary firearms in Guns & Ammo.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, you live up to your name.
Not much of a discussion if everyone else's opinion is immediately discounted.

I apologize for immediately discounting your opinion, whatever it was. Next time I'll spend less effort on trying to offer a queer perspective on queer issues; that should give me enough time to line-by-line a million willfully obtuse posts and make everyone feel important and clever. I appreciate your valuable feedback in this matter :)

Ikantski posted:

Only gun owners are allowed to have an opinion on their traditional activities from now on though.

I get the point you're trying to make here but it would probably be more honest to use "frightened reactionaries who know nothing about guns and keep forgetting that they're used for hunting and pest control" as your point of comparison here, because that's probably a much closer analogue to the tedious fairweather ally hand-wringing these discussions always seem to bring out.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Guy I lived in New College with, Fred Hahn, posted this:

http://cupe.on.ca/pride-action-black-lives-matter-important-lgbtq-communities-fred-hahn/

quote:

TORONTO, July 4, 2016 – Yesterday’s action by Black Lives Matter was important for the LGBTQ+ communities, says CUPE Ontario President Fred Hahn, one of Canada’s few openly gay union leaders and long-time resident of the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood.

“Pride was born out of the police persecution of Toronto’s gay community,” said Hahn. “We have come a long way since then and if you are a white, gay male, like me, you are much less likely to face police harassment today than you were five or ten years ago. The same can’t be said for all LGBTQ folks and solidarity demands that we all stand together.”

Today, Toronto Pride is famous world-wide as a safe space to be open about one’s sexuality and gender identity. It’s a time to be loved without judgement, but this is sadly not true for everyone. Toronto’s LGBTQ+ communities are as diverse as the world itself, and people have vastly different lived experiences.

While the parade and festivities continue to grow in mainstream popularity, it is becoming harder for people in parts of LGBTQ+ communities to organize events that reflect themselves and the reality of their lives. Space in the festival is being consumed by corporate donors which decreases our ability to continue to question ourselves about racism, ableism, transphobia, and all the other societal oppression that effect LGBTQ folks.

“Black Lives Matter has successfully shone a much needed spotlight on the institutional racism that exists within the police force toward recialized people in this city,” said Hahn. “The group is led by strong black women who are part of our LGBTQ+ communities. Their actions yesterday helped bring about change that people have been trying to achieve for many years. They gave voice to so many of us who are increasingly marginalized by how Pride is currently being run.”

Among the demands agreed to yesterday, were support and funding for community stages with self-determination for the programing of those events, increased funding for queer and trans black youth during Pride, and a community town hall so that people who make up the diversity within the LGBTQ+ communities can start to have more say over their festival.

“CUPE Ontario is a proud ally of the important work Black Lives Matter is doing,” said Hahn. “In the original tradition of Pride, we salute their use of direct action with clear demands that resulted in positive change for thousands of people in our city. On behalf of our union, we offer not only our thanks, but also our solidarity in our shared fight for justice and equality.”

Fred (or Freddie as I knew him in 1987) is the real deal.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ugh, why does he want to exclude people. So exclusionary. Progressives are the real bigots. Stop it you guys this is killing the left.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know
Coming in late, but congratulations to the LGBT community. You've become mostly so accepted in Canada that your events are the mainstream thing that others interrupt to get their message out. You've come a long way from having dimwittedness hillbillies and jackbooted cops interrupting them.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
next time you gender studies majors are huddled around the kitchen stove in the deep of winter and starving, remember this thread

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Man, at least put some effort into it. We had a pretty good dialogue going, so if we're gonna derail into shitpost hell, they should at least be pretty good shitposts.

I was going to PM you but I guess I can't, so I'll leave it at a simple sorry. :shobon:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

the trump tutelage posted:

I was going to PM you but I guess I can't, so I'll leave it at a simple sorry. :shobon:

Alright, fair enough. We're cool :)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

next time you gender studies majors are huddled around the kitchen stove in the deep of winter and starving, remember this thread

https://youtu.be/9dgmp3KmwGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Ikantski posted:

Gonna need those TFWs to help the airports' bottom line.

OSI bean dip posted:

Don't worry, guys. The Liberals won't sell off our airports; they'll just give them to private corporations on 999-year leases.

Liberals sell off infrastructure, the Conservatives just hire SNC-Lavalin to operate and profit from it.