Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is Legendary Star-Lord, the Star-Lord SW mini, or the current Star-Lord ongoing good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Is Legendary Star-Lord, the Star-Lord SW mini, or the current Star-Lord ongoing good?

Yes, Hell Yes, and Yes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

WickedHate posted:

Loeb got a lot of slack by the people at Marvel because Loeb's writing got lovely after the death of his son. It's not [I[wrong[/I] per say and I'm not unsympathetic, but drat, it's some bad product.

jesus christ can we not bring up a dead child every single time we discuss jeph loeb like that's the only answer to everything

he didn't get pity work, he got work because his books sell. it's that simple.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

jesus christ can we not bring up a dead child every single time we discuss jeph loeb like that's the only answer to everything

he didn't get pity work, he got work because his books sell. it's that simple.

It's the dead elephant in the room man. When you're talking about Loeb's work in that timeframe it will inevitably come up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WickedHate posted:

It's not literally true that Lee just signed his name on stuff, but his real contributions were in selling Marvel. He was a charismatic talker and became the face of Marvel semi-accidentally, then just rolled with it. Stan Lee isn't a Bob Kane, at least. He just sorta soaks in the attention that's always naturally gravitated to him. He's like a black hole of spotlight.
Plus I'm sure if Jack Kirby was still alive, they would have buried the hatchet and he would be even more well known.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus I'm sure if Jack Kirby was still alive, they would have buried the hatchet and he would be even more well known.

He can't really be blamed for Ditko either, who's still alive but voluntarily chooses to shun the media and forsake praise/further compensation for derivatives of his work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If Kirby was alive he'd go 'Help help let me out of here!'

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
From everything I've heard about Jack Kirby, he'd make it out fine on his own

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I like that you think webcomics would be strong if comics largely cease to be before the Internet is even a thing. Which is what happens if there's no Stan Lee.

And I'm saying I don't believe this. I think it's a viewpoint that centers so much on the idea of the Big Two it ignores comics outside of those both American and otherwise. Many comic artists are inspired by works beside superhero comics. I think it's over-attributing to the work of one man the success of an entire medium that existed before he did. Like not to bring up the elephant in the room but Japanese manga certainly had influences from Western comics but Osamu Tezuka was creating some of his most famous works long before Stan Lee really revolutionized Marvel. This is true of creators across the world. The landscape would be different but I'm pretty comfortable saying that there would still be French or Japanese comics even if Stan Lee never touched a comic.

I don't disagree he has a significant impact on the current state of comics (and through that movies and books and other forms of media.) I just think going "if not for Stan Lee comics would be dead forever and nobody would ever think of making a webcomic" devalues the contributions of other creators worldwide.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 4, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Plus welcomics seem to owe a lot more to newspaper comics than to superhero books, so even in NA they would still be very much a thing.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
At the same time dismissing the contributions of one guy by assuming someone else would have done that stuff (when no one else did) is a little unfair too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought Mockingbird was only going to be 6 issues, but there is an issue 7 being solicitated, so I guess either i heard wrong or they found it selling well enough they extended it.

It's heresy, but I kind of perfect Bobbi over Natasha in the "female super spy who kinda has powers but is more training than anything" type of hero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

At the same time dismissing the contributions of one guy by assuming someone else would have done that stuff (when no one else did) is a little unfair too.

I think the argument of "without Stan Lee all comic creators would be forever anonymous" is exaggerated, yes. Carl Barks for example was anonymous for a good portion of his comic creating (aside from being the good duck artist) but his identity was eventually discovered by fans, and creators in non-American comics were not all anonymous. It feels completely improbable to me to argue that without Stan Lee we would have nothing but anonymous nameless comic creators.

That doesn't devalue what Stan Lee did, it just rejects the implication that without Stan Lee it never would have happened. It's still a good thing it happened when it did.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ImpAtom posted:

I think the argument of "without Stan Lee all comic creators would be forever anonymous" is exaggerated, yes. Carl Barks for example was anonymous for a good portion of his comic creating (aside from being the good duck artist) but his identity was eventually discovered by fans, and creators in non-American comics were not all anonymous. It feels completely improbable to me to argue that without Stan Lee we would have nothing but anonymous nameless comic creators.

I don't think they would either, but "someone was eventually going to do this good thing so we shouldn't care that someone did" is silly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

I don't think they would either, but "someone was eventually going to do this good thing so we shouldn't care that someone did" is silly.

It's a good thing I never said that then.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Somebody go back in time to take out baby Stan so we can find out.

e: Don't catch me editing please!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 5, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Somebody gonna go back in time to take out baby Stan so we can find out.

Stan Lee was never a baby. He was born at age 70 and has never changed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, is somebody gonna go back in time to take out baby Stan and find out?

I've done worse for the sake of an internet argument, so sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I thought Mockingbird was only going to be 6 issues, but there is an issue 7 being solicitated, so I guess either i heard wrong or they found it selling well enough they extended it.

It's heresy, but I kind of perfect Bobbi over Natasha in the "female super spy who kinda has powers but is more training than anything" type of hero.

It's an ongoing, I thought? Maybe you misread Chelsea Cain's letter of intent in #1? She said the first ARC was 6 issues, I think.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

It was initially presented as a five-issue limited series, actually - just checked the end of the first issue, and that's how Chelsea Cain described it. And I guess it either sold well enough, got enough critical acclaim, or both to make the heads at Marvel give the green light to a continuation?

Mockingbird's really great but I'm sorta worried it'll lose its big hook when it ends its puzzlebox story. Although, on the other hand, Chelsea Cain ended up writing literally a female Archer so I guess I'm fine with reading more adventures in Bobbi Morse being a hilarious rear end in a top hat to her various romantic conquests.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd say Mockingbird is a bit more of a take on Grayson than anything.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ImpAtom posted:

It's a good thing I never said that then.

Right, and no one said "creators would be literally anonymous and uncredited forever if not for Stan Lee" either.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

ImpAtom posted:

Stan Lee was never a baby. He was born at age 70 and has never changed.

You joke, but look at a picture of Stan from the 50s.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Right, and no one said "creators would be literally anonymous and uncredited forever if not for Stan Lee" either.

Except that Toxx said that in something which I was responding to?

Toxxupation posted:

And, again, considering what the Distinguished Competition's Best Practices were in that same time period it's doubtful we would have any recognition for writers or artists and certainly none for inkers, colorists, letterers, or editors like we now do off of Lee's pushing of the creative minds behind a comic as a selling point to a comic.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 5, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I guess I interpreted "like we do now" differently than you.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's comics, Jim, but not as we know it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

It was initially presented as a five-issue limited series, actually - just checked the end of the first issue, and that's how Chelsea Cain described it. And I guess it either sold well enough, got enough critical acclaim, or both to make the heads at Marvel give the green light to a continuation?

Mockingbird's really great but I'm sorta worried it'll lose its big hook when it ends its puzzlebox story. Although, on the other hand, Chelsea Cain ended up writing literally a female Archer so I guess I'm fine with reading more adventures in Bobbi Morse being a hilarious rear end in a top hat to her various romantic conquests.

That's good news if it's true, and a female Archer is pretty close, but i haven't read Greyson so I don't know how apt that is, but it probably is.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

twistedmentat posted:

First arc is five issues. Hopefully the team sticks around.

I know we have a don't ask don't tell policy towards pirating comics, but does it bother any other comic shop employees when it's obvious people aren't paying for their books?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

I know we have a don't ask don't tell policy towards pirating comics, but does it bother any other comic shop employees when it's obvious people aren't paying for their books?

I have a dude who just blatantly says "I'll just download that one."

Like, gently caress off man, at lest don't talk about it in here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Die Laughing posted:

The Marvel thread is not the place to have that conversation, I think there's a comic shop thread around here somewhere and it's more appropriate there.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finished both volumes of the Deadpool MAX run and that's...a run I didn't much like, if I'm being honest. Felt too...Marvel MAX-y to me, I guess, and I think making Deadpool into a literally insane person over an insane person with moments of lucidity was really dull.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deadpool MAX is terrible. Why in the world would you ever read that?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

Deadpool MAX is terrible. Why in the world would you ever read that?

I don't usually read MAX runs (for obvious reasons) and thought of all titles a Deadpool MAX run would work but nnnnnnnope!

But yeah reading that poo poo was a loving mistake.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

I don't usually read MAX runs (for obvious reasons) and thought of all titles a Deadpool MAX run would work but nnnnnnnope!

But yeah reading that poo poo was a loving mistake.

There's some good MAX stuff, but Deadpool is up there with The Eternal, Starr The Slayer, and that awful Anime Phoenix abomination as books you absolutely do not read.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Punisher MAX may be one of the best comics ever, period. Other than that, I don't know if there's ever been much of note out of the line. Alias was pretty good, I guess.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I just finished Ultimate Doom, and I have a few questions.

At the end of Ultimatum, Ben Grimm straight up murders Doctor Doom. Ultimatum made it seem like a very petty revenge murder. But then at the end of Ultimate Fantastic Four, Reed tells Ben he ran a bunch of simulations and says that Doom is could potentially cause a Mega Holocaust 9/11, and then we see that's when Ben goes off and murders Doom.

Does Ben ever face any consequences to his murder or is it hunky dory because Doom was practically Super Saiyan Hitler?
Was Reed manipulating Ben into mudering Doom?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does Ben ever face any consequences to his murder or is it hunky dory because Doom was practically Super Saiyan Hitler?

It gets retconned so that it wasn't Doom, but there are still consequences followed up on in Ultimate FF.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It gets retconned so that it wasn't Doom,

Oh. That's pretty lame.

Welp. I guess I'll start reading Ultimate Spider-Man. I hope Peter Parker doesn't die!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just finished an Ultimate Spider-Man readthrough, I can link you the reading list I made. It's a bit convoluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I just finished an Ultimate Spider-Man readthrough, I can link you the reading list I made. It's a bit convoluted.

Link away.

• Locked thread