Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Fearless posted:

Yeah but the loyalist ones don't act out on it.

Yeah instead they became middle managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's kinda shocking just how lovely the Black Reaving Rite of War is for Sons of Horus. You're locked into a bad HQ choice (Master of Signal) for what you want to do as well as three troops choices to gain: Reavers as troops, Deep Strike on Justaerin, a goofy way to get Rage, and Fleet on units arriving from a board edge. If you could assault out of reserves the Fleet would be loving incredible but as-is it doesn't do much.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

panascope posted:

It's kinda shocking just how lovely the Black Reaving Rite of War is for Sons of Horus. You're locked into a bad HQ choice (Master of Signal) for what you want to do as well as three troops choices to gain: Reavers as troops, Deep Strike on Justaerin, a goofy way to get Rage, and Fleet on units arriving from a board edge. If you could assault out of reserves the Fleet would be loving incredible but as-is it doesn't do much.

Never not be walking the long march.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Did a couple of very quick test marines and I'm really pleased at how this came out:

Very quick to do and would probably look better on Mk II and III armour with all of their raised edges. I'm going to do the bases with a cool grey scheme like Terminator's Future War parts. The dust on their greaves will come from walking through the ashes of the worlds they've burned. Trying to find the balance between too much weathering and not enough but I think I've lucked onto it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hencoe posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that, was looking at the rules this morning since I'm playing an imperial fists buddy tonight and drat, those make the tests mean something instead of "lolLD9"

I was going to come to vanilla's pinning rules' defense, but I double-checked and we've apparently been playing it wrong for ~20 games (and will continue to do so because the vanilla rule actually sucks). We were (mis)reading it as:

"If a unit is forced to roll an armor save during the Shooting Phase, it must make a Pinning check at the end of that Phase. It suffers -1 to that check for each unit that caused it to roll a save."

Our misinterpretation works really well, in my opinion.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

Did a couple of very quick test marines and I'm really pleased at how this came out:

Very quick to do and would probably look better on Mk II and III armour with all of their raised edges. I'm going to do the bases with a cool grey scheme like Terminator's Future War parts. The dust on their greaves will come from walking through the ashes of the worlds they've burned. Trying to find the balance between too much weathering and not enough but I think I've lucked onto it.

They look pretty good, but consider a (n enamel) wash for those panels on the legs and vambraces.

Also Vultarax indirectly confirmed to be on sale at the open day

Cute bugger.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Never not be walking the long march.

If only The Long March made Justaerin a Troops choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fearless posted:

Every single traitor primarch has poor self esteem and daddy issues.

Magnus doesn't. Thinking entirely too much of himself was the core of his problems. :v:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

They look pretty good, but consider a (n enamel) wash for those panels on the legs and vambraces.

Cute bugger.

Between this and the secutarii I wonder if they are going to drop the imperial armor book at the open day as well. (I really hope so)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

panascope posted:

If only The Long March made Justaerin a Troops choice.

It's called the Horus Heresy, use Horus.

But yeah outside of wanting justaerin troops, the long march owns.

Hencoe posted:

Between this and the secutarii I wonder if they are going to drop the imperial armor book at the open day as well. (I really hope so)

Most likely! If not at least a few copies of the book around as a preview.

e. Reboxed HH BAC packs:
Space Marines Heroes: 39,- €
Mark IV Space Marines: 39,- €
Cataphractii Terminators: 52,- €
Contemptor Dreadnought: 46,- €

lol

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 4, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Magnus' story is truly the tragedy of the horus heresy.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
A recap of Magnus' entire career as a leader, scientist and philosopher.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

I like how they creating a new awesome ROW and didn't even touch the old one.

Mango Polo posted:

Cute bugger.

...twin linked HAVOC LAUNCHERS

WITH SKYFIRE!!!!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Hey duders, pick up your B@C sets before its too late. They are going into individual boxes on thursday. http://natfka.blogspot.dk/2016/07/this-week-individual-horus-heresy-box.html

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sons of Horus are obviously the best legion, but who's the worst?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

panascope posted:

Fluffwise or mechanically? Dark Angels either way. They're tedious chickenshit narcissists, inside and out.

EDIT: Fluffwise I dislike the Raven Guard and Death Guard as much or more, actually. Mechanically I think Dark Angels probably are the worst, at least on paper, but I think it's a comparatively flat field and I think they'd have likely been better than the four Book I legions (as printed) if they had some cool unique units and characters.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 5, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hey duders, pick up your B@C sets before its too late. They are going into individual boxes on thursday. http://natfka.blogspot.dk/2016/07/this-week-individual-horus-heresy-box.html

$40 for 30 Mark IV mens isn't bad, I think on eBay they had recently dropped to about $20 however I'm sure with this news the price is already risen.

I have to thank Mango Polo, repainted my Thousand Sons terminators, the rest of the fellowship will have to wait for the Angron Red to make its way over from the UK as I ran out doing test after test- I probably went through about 20 spoons before I finally found the recipe that had the shade I was looking for (metallic, and with the shade as in the HH profile pic but also with a "glow" of copper in direct light)

This is after the original attempt, it came out too bright and looked plasti-dipped:

Using Mango Polo's advice (however no copper/gold on mine) this is what I have. It's brighter than the pic, I'll take better ones once I'm done painting them.

e: the recipe-

Prime black
Airbrush level with VMA Black Metal
Zenithal highlight VMA Gun Metal
7 or so coats of FW Angron Red mixed 4:1
2 thin coats Vallejo gloss varnish

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 5, 2016

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Does anyone have the physical crusade imperialis red book? Just want to confirm or deny that I'm actually seeing a 90 point thunderbolt.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

I doubt they're going to drop Betrayal at Calth. They'll keep selling the boardgame separate from the boxed models, I'd imagine. It might drive up eBay prices though.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Im going to be floored if you get more than 10 marines in that $40 box.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghazk posted:

Im going to be floored if you get more than 10 marines in that $40 box.

Yeah, the Marines come 10 per 3 sprues pretty neatly and the sprues look designed for it from the start; I would bet they're going to cost the same per man as the existing Tacticals.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Hencoe posted:

A Tau vs Mechanicus IA book has been rumoured for ages, and I think at one of the events earlier this year they had some new artwork showing Mechanicus forces including Castellaxes fighting Tau mans so it looks to be somewhat on the ball. Probably include 40k rules for all the 30k robot men, hopefully. And the Knight Styrix, which technically is still 30k only.

I just want rules for the Thanatar-Calix that aren't rear end.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Shazaminator posted:

A Tau vs Mechanicus IA book has been rumoured for ages, and I think at one of the events earlier this year they had some new artwork showing Mechanicus forces including Castellaxes fighting Tau mans so it looks to be somewhat on the ball. Probably include 40k rules for all the 30k robot men, hopefully. And the Knight Styrix, which technically is still 30k only.

I just want rules for the Thanatar-Calix that aren't rear end.

on, that book is confirmed, its admech and red scorpions vs tau, culln is now in a leviathan dreadnaught so they probably have some other fancy dude leading. I'm just hoping they release it sooner or later.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

$40 for 30 Mark IV mens isn't bad, I think on eBay they had recently dropped to about $20 however I'm sure with this news the price is already risen.

I have to thank Mango Polo, repainted my Thousand Sons terminators, the rest of the fellowship will have to wait for the Angron Red to make its way over from the UK as I ran out doing test after test- I probably went through about 20 spoons before I finally found the recipe that had the shade I was looking for (metallic, and with the shade as in the HH profile pic but also with a "glow" of copper in direct light)

This is after the original attempt, it came out too bright and looked plasti-dipped:

Using Mango Polo's advice (however no copper/gold on mine) this is what I have. It's brighter than the pic, I'll take better ones once I'm done painting them.

e: the recipe-

Prime black
Airbrush level with VMA Black Metal
Zenithal highlight VMA Gun Metal
7 or so coats of FW Angron Red mixed 4:1
2 thin coats Vallejo gloss varnish

Solid, my spoon brother.

I burned my hand while cooking so I've put hobby stuff on hold, but hopefully I can get back to painting later this week.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PantsOptional posted:

I have a non-goon friend who is dipping his toes into 30k. I think I'd like to ease him into some ViV since he already plays HoR Kill Team, but I also haven't played any ViV myself. Is there any advice that you might give to someone just starting out with ViV?

We've been ramping up a little campaign of our own. A few things I've learned:
-Limit action points to ~7 per game. You can generate more, but don't allow people to use more than 7 in a game. Use counters or a deck of cards to keep track.
-Fearless is too powerful as an action point option. Stubborn is a better alternative
-Don't let people take more than half their strike force from a single unit entry

Only other thing I would suggest is to meet up and walk them through the rules or play a test game or two.

panascope posted:

Each and every Mary Sue legion

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BULBASAUR posted:

Personally, I'd single out the Emperor's Children and Ultramarines here.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

-Fearless is too powerful as an action point option. Stubborn is a better alternative
-Don't let people take more than half their strike force from a single unit entry

In other words, don't let me take Justaerin.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Tallkidwithglasses brought 6 plasma support guys. Lucky for GreenMarine, we placed lots of 4+ area terrain so it balanced out.

The adepticon rules had the restriction, but I didn't port it over because I am a bad. Without it I think lists can get too tough for an introductory system.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

We've been ramping up a little campaign of our own. A few things I've learned:
-Limit action points to ~7 per game. You can generate more, but don't allow people to use more than 7 in a game. Use counters or a deck of cards to keep track.

Only other thing I would suggest is to meet up and walk them through the rules or play a test game or two.

In what situations are you finding Fearless too powerful? Is this just with one of your variant rules or what? The only times I've seen it be remotely relevant were when we were getting one of the other rules wrong.

Edit: Oh, I DOUBLE double checked and we were doing Pinning right after all. But even there, having a hero or hero-led ad hoc squad be functionally immune to pinning doesn't seem excessive to me.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 5, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Well, the issue is that you can spend a single action point to make one of your units fearless for an entire turn. Fearless makes them immune to a bunch of things, not just pinning. One action point negates all the cool interesting pinning, morale, and close combat rules they created for VisV. It almost never makes sense to re-roll a dice if you can just make your squad fearless for an entire turn. It's just too powerful:
  • My squad has to take a pinning check at -3? Fearless
  • I just lost combat by 2 against EC? Too bad, just made them fearless. Also I'm fearless for the next round of combat. Suck my iron hand, nerd.
  • Did I just loose half my squad to shooting and have to make a break test? No worries, I'm now fearless
Stubborn removes the modifiers, but still requires a check. It's a good middle ground. Without easy access to fearless things like command squads, veterans, and vexillas are relevant again.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 6, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
What about spending an action point to instantly reload?

I'm not sure it's worth it, but I think that's a good thing. Not every use of an action point should be clearly good and having options that are usually not good and are situational is a skill test.

(I guess you could use an action point to reroll the roll that caused you to lose ammo...but I wasn't clear on whether you take this test multiple times or if we decided it affected multiple weapon types and if that meant you took a test per weapon type, etc).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Well, the issue is that you can spend a single action point to make one of your units fearless for an entire turn. Fearless makes them immune to a bunch of things, not just pinning. One action point negates all the cool interesting pinning, morale, and close combat rules they created for VisV. It almost never makes sense to re-roll a dice if you can just make your squad fearless for an entire turn. It's just too powerful:
  • My squad has to take a pinning check at -3? Fearless
  • I just lost combat by 2 against EC? Too bad, just made them fearless. Also I'm fearless for the next round of combat. Suck my iron hand, nerd.
  • Did I just loose half my squad to shooting and have to make a break test? No worries, I'm now fearless
Stubborn removes the modifiers, but still requires a check. It's a good middle ground. Without easy access to fearless things like command squads, veterans, and vexillas are relevant again.

I don't disagree, but it's not just "one of your units," it's your hero model and any ad hoc squad that he's with, and ad hoc squads are so terrible otherwise that I don't see making them immune to the VIV mechanics as especially overpowered. Boring, sure. If you change the ad hoc squad limitations then I can see power being an issue, but as it stands the rule for us has essentially translated into "your Hero is Fearless more or less 100% of the time."

Edit: I had an idea this morning and it's still pretty raw but I think it could address Bulbasaur's problem without causing Heroes to get neutralized like chumps all the time. What if spending a Hero Point for Fearless also caused the Hero to immediately leave any squads he's part of? It would have some pretty cinematic consequences (eg, he prevents a squad from getting Swept, but they still run away while he holds the line; the squad gets Pinned and he's the only dude who can still run forward) and it still lets the Chaplain feel special and unique. I think the Chaplain would otherwise be essentially auto-include in any VIV campaign that implemented all of Bulbasaur's fixes--the benefits it offers would be wildly disproportionate compared to anything else.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 6, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Why do you think ad hoc squads are bad? Admittedly I took an apothecary as a hero so he pretty much needed a squad to do his thing, but being able to spam action points on your guys is really powerful, and in the future I anticipate making ad hoc squads of tough guys and shooty guys to bolster my frail frail plasma marines a little. I guess they're a little more vulnerable to high rate of fire weapons, but I'm not really seeing any enormous downside to mobbing up your mans and the upsides are very tangible to me.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Why do you think ad hoc squads are bad? Admittedly I took an apothecary as a hero so he pretty much needed a squad to do his thing, but being able to spam action points on your guys is really powerful, and in the future I anticipate making ad hoc squads of tough guys and shooty guys to bolster my frail frail plasma marines a little. I guess they're a little more vulnerable to high rate of fire weapons, but I'm not really seeing any enormous downside to mobbing up your mans and the upsides are very tangible to me.

In the default rules, they all have to fire at the same target, they're extremely vulnerable to pinning and fleeing, they're vulnerable to high-attack weapons that would be excessive when deployed against individual troops, they slow each other down with rough terrain and coherency requirements, and if their leader/hero gets sniped out they're easy to tarpit. With the Adepticon tweaks they're certainly better but they're still easy to pin, and since the Adepticon rules explicitly limit what Fearless does (outside of hero point use, anyway) I assumed we weren't talking about them.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
What loving game are you guys evening talking about now?!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

What loving game are you guys evening talking about now?!
Victory is Vengeance. It's a full conversion mod for 30k using the Age of Sigmar ruleset.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Victory is Vengeance. It's a full conversion mod for 30k using the Age of Sigmar ruleset.

If you shout "Vulkan Lives" and ignite a cigarette lighter, you may re-roll all re-rolls where the sum of the dice is a factor of XVIII, until the end of your opponent's psychic phase when you roll any dice in response to a psychic power.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
If you shout "I am Alpharius" the opponent is allowed to pick up any vehicle of AV13 or more and toss it at your face.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I forge the narrative by openly threatening and brandishing guns at my opponent. The next time Bulbasaur puts a Vindicator on the table I'm going to bury a slug in his brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sulecrist posted:

In the default rules, they all have to fire at the same target, they're extremely vulnerable to pinning and fleeing, they're vulnerable to high-attack weapons that would be excessive when deployed against individual troops, they slow each other down with rough terrain and coherency requirements, and if their leader/hero gets sniped out they're easy to tarpit. With the Adepticon tweaks they're certainly better but they're still easy to pin, and since the Adepticon rules explicitly limit what Fearless does (outside of hero point use, anyway) I assumed we weren't talking about them.

I see. Yeah, we're using a modified version of the Adpeticon rules. Every model has split fire when inside an AdHoc unit. Heroes + Leaders can confer special rules provided that rule confers in the BRB. Individual models don't do that. So to have a fearless vet squad you need 50% of your squad to be veterans or a single fearless leader. I can see the argument for having a bunch of single models on the table being better in vanilla, but with our changes grouping dudes together with a leader has big advantages. Granting whole squads move through cover, fleet, and re-rolling run distances is really powerful. Stacking fearless ontop of that is just too much, and like you said, pretty boring for everyone.

We also limited one special rule per turn. So if you pop something like stubborn, you can't give them counter-attack if you suddenly get charged. Forces you to plan things a bit better. About the only issue I see is AdHoc units charging a bunch of single models. You can always multi charge, but it's a strategic choice you have to make. Split your dudes up into single body groups that are easy to focus down (but are hard to catch), or take a combined squad that you can hide special weapons inside and is more reliable on the table.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 7, 2016