Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
This is too cute:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4qwg8r/my_boyfriend_wanted_an_alt_art_alphas_so_i_made/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So the build I'm running recommends keeping a couple gems under max level. Is there any way to make the level-up gem prompt not show on the side of the screen so I WON'T absolutely end up clicking it by accident during a stressful fight and ruining everything?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

right click it and it will move to a little place in your inventory where you probably wont mistakenly click it

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thanks for the tip!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

btw if you ever end up leveling a gem too far by accident everything is not ruined! sell the gem + an orb of scouring to a merchant and you will get the gem back minus one level. if for some reason you want to get a gem back to level 1 you can do the gem + an orb of regret.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So this is the crazy loving build I worked out today:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...NmnCJ2uGmz3wQ==

It is a CI, Crown of Eyes, Doomfletch's Prism non-crit build. CoE is the only expensive part.

I have 188% ES, but there's at least 3 locations that I'm planning on putting an Energy from Within to convert the life over, for a total of anywhere from 250-280%.

Pick this poo poo apart so I can have something to play after lunch, please goons.

edit: yes I know there's some easy jewels and stuff, I'll get those if my ES is overkill.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

It is a CI, Crown of Eyes, Doomfletch's Prism non-crit build. CoE is the only expensive part.

I have 188% ES, but there's at least 3 locations that I'm planning on putting an Energy from Within to convert the life over, for a total of anywhere from 250-280%.

Pick this poo poo apart so I can have something to play after lunch, please goons.

edit: yes I know there's some easy jewels and stuff, I'll get those if my ES is overkill.

Whatever this is, its poo poo and you should do something else.
Like the Heretics Veil - cospris will - facebreaker - tripple auracurse - iron reflexes - infernal blow - bud spencer memorial build im too lazy to cough up and actually run.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vasudus posted:

your ES is too low and idk what CoE is gonna do where are you getting spell damage cus its certainly not your tree

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kild posted:

your ES is too low and idk what CoE is gonna do where are you getting spell damage cus its certainly not your tree

Yeah, I changed my mind a bunch of times about it. I'm not going to bother with it.

I'm sitting at 7500ES right now and I'm about to pick up another ~60% on my tree in the next 6 levels. I am level 69. Doomfletch is neat.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I made it to 61, windripper in just five more levels, then i just need to make it to merc lake lmao

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
finally killed Core Malachai, jeb was high energy

all bosses dropped only poo poo obv

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which is better this or Diablo III? Why? I'm also asking in the D3 thread.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
If you're looking for an ARPG fix, D3 will make you feel powerful right away and the combat is quicker - but there are ultimately fewer build options and much less to pay attention to.

PoE takes about an hour or two for your character/combat to feel good, but you'll keep getting faster & stronger as you reach endgame. There are many more character builds, and there's more to pay attention to - looting, gearing and trading are more complex.

Play PoE since it's completely free, all future content is free, the developers are the most active of any ARPG ever and there's no pay-to-win elements. If you don't like it you didn't lose out on anything!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Turtlicious posted:

Lol.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Turtlicious posted:

Diablo 3 is unplayable because you can't rebind left click to force move, making it a pain in the rear end to maneuver in battle. "Oh, I need to move away from these cold bombs? Lemme just swing at this random trash mob instead." Actually, you can't rebind the left and right mouse buttons at all, which is inexcusable for a PC game.

Also, PoE won't cost you anything to play for a couple of hours.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can bind walk to a key though which is what i did when i played it. i actually like that better than click to walk and i wish poe let me do it.

e: i realize i can bind it to one of the skill bar buttons but i have skills in them all!

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 5, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Dream Attack posted:

If you're looking for an ARPG fix, D3 will make you feel powerful right away and the combat is quicker - but there are ultimately fewer build options and much less to pay attention to.

PoE takes about an hour or two for your character/combat to feel good, but you'll keep getting faster & stronger as you reach endgame. There are many more character builds, and there's more to pay attention to - looting, gearing and trading are more complex.

Play PoE since it's completely free, all future content is free, the developers are the most active of any ARPG ever and there's no pay-to-win elements. If you don't like it you didn't lose out on anything!

To phrase this differently, D3 is more about minute to minute gameplay and sacrifices a lot of character depth to make sure players can't really gently caress up their characters and make one that feels like poo poo to play. Path of Exile is pretty much a celebration of character building, with the deepest character customization of any ARPG. Good characters feel incredibly powerful, there's room for bizarre gimmick builds, and you can play for 500 hours and still be building characters that are significantly different from your previous characters.

Whether you like one more than the other is based largely on whether you want to smash things with a hammer in a way that's immediately satisfying, or whether you wanna set up your hammerguy to be able to smash things in a satisfying manner over the course of like 10 hours of building him up to be a Cool Dude.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 5, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Awesome! posted:

you can bind walk to a key though which is what i did when i played it. i actually like that better than click to walk and i wish poe let me do it.

Get a better keyboard, map a macro key to a mouse button.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i play on a laptop. i guess the real answer is to use a build with fewer buttons :v:

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Turtlicious posted:

The only benefit that D3 has over PoE is better animation and feel. And an inability to gently caress up your character, I guess. PoE is fun if you liked making weird poo poo, like Hammerdins and melee Flame Enchant sorceresses.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Incidentally, can someone recommend a fun melee build? I've got my storm call witch running around but I'd love to play a smashy melee build with fast movement. Something around shield charge maybe? I've got a budget of like. 50c maybe.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying PoE and wow SUmmoner is a ton of fun. i'm not super duper following a build, but I'm grabbing all of the nodes for +Minion Damage +Minion Attack Speed +Zombies +Skeletons, and I seem to be doing fine.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Jinnigan posted:

Incidentally, can someone recommend a fun melee build? I've got my storm call witch running around but I'd love to play a smashy melee build with fast movement. Something around shield charge maybe? I've got a budget of like. 50c maybe.

Shield charge is very fast and smashy. Abyssus + Facebreakers is about 40c, looks like?

A raider with cleave, spectral throw, reave, or static strike are all powerful and fun to play (mostly owing to the fact you have to constantly rush between packs to keep your raider buffs up). They can also get ridiculously good survivability by stacking evasion, getting up to 75% chance to evade, before factoring in acrobatics, blind, or block.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I'm trying PoE and wow SUmmoner is a ton of fun. i'm not super duper following a build, but I'm grabbing all of the nodes for +Minion Damage +Minion Attack Speed +Zombies +Skeletons, and I seem to be doing fine.

The important thing to remember about PoE is you don't have to be tryhard if you don't want to. Just mash together builds and see what happens. The endgame is optional, there's hundreds of things to try, and even more become possible as you fill out your collection of unique items. And you can pick up all the quirks of how exactly all the stats work as you go along.

The one hard and fast rule about the skill tree that you need to know though, is that regardless of your build you want 8 or 9 full 'clusters' of "% increased maximum life" nodes by the time you hit level 70.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I'm having trouble with endgame defense these days..

Mainly because i don't have tons of hours of video games so when i get a character that i think will work well and it doesn't work out well on higher maps I'm usually too close ot the next league and quit till next league.
I was playing mostly armor guys for years with high life and endurance charges and those worked fine, but getting bored with that. Tried out my first acrobatics/evasion/life character.. finding that i'm doing the HOLY gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneone when i get hit for 90% of my hp or getting destroyed on physical reflect.

So what are some core skills combos for tree combos?

Like, Armor/Leech/Resolute Technique/Determination, Armor/Unwavering Stance/Iron Reflexes/Determination

I've never made an Energy Shield/Chaos Innoc/Chaos Reaver/Vaal pact character..

Are these such a thing as viable hybrid defense? like Evasion/Energy Shield or Armor/Energy shield?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm having trouble with endgame defense these days..

Mainly because i don't have tons of hours of video games so when i get a character that i think will work well and it doesn't work out well on higher maps I'm usually too close ot the next league and quit till next league.
I was playing mostly armor guys for years with high life and endurance charges and those worked fine, but getting bored with that. Tried out my first acrobatics/evasion/life character.. finding that i'm doing the HOLY gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneone when i get hit for 90% of my hp or getting destroyed on physical reflect.

So what are some core skills combos for tree combos?

Like, Armor/Leech/Resolute Technique/Determination, Armor/Unwavering Stance/Iron Reflexes/Determination

I've never made an Energy Shield/Chaos Innoc/Chaos Reaver/Vaal pact character..

Are these such a thing as viable hybrid defense? like Evasion/Energy Shield or Armor/Energy shield?

Choosing Evasion in PoE is like choosing tourist in nethack, or deprived in Dark Souls.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Incredibly Long, but equally excellent, Developer Q&A posted today on pathofexile.com

Click Here

Seriously well worth the read. If you only got a couple of minutes though, you can probably ctrl+F and find any specifics you may be looking for. The questions pretty much cover everything. Even though the trading in this game is generaly described as toxic and terrible, I have to say the community is still one of the best I've seen. I mean, from what I've seen, Community Q&A's for other developers have been notoriously bad every single time. These questions however are really on point. Some of the answers are a little vague, but I'm sure for good reason.

Solid read, check it out.

10bux fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 5, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Bluemillion posted:

Choosing Evasion in PoE is like choosing tourist in nethack, or deprived in Dark Souls.

I disagree, though in prophecy armor is significantly stronger than it was before due to Juggernaut buffs and Kaom's Sign's prophetic version.

I just wish there was some way to convert the 7 frenzy charges you can easily get as a ranger to 7 endurance charges :sigh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bluemillion posted:

Evasion is good, just bring a stibnite flask.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Bugsy posted:

You could link up an immortal call with your CWDT to give you some help with that for big hits. Even without endurance charge you still get some invulnerable to physical damage.

Do you self curse? Herald of Thunder + Curse on hit + Conductivity can make it a lot smoother with out having to stop then curse things.

You could use some much better jewels, and more jewel slots.

Aug your flasks that only have 1 mod.

I guess you need the strength on the sapphire ring? Other than that and life roll it doesn't have that many stats that are that good for you.

Do that lab already. Not to sound like a dick but do it.

Edit - I'm loving blind and did not notice the clarity you already have. Do you still need to run a mana flask? A granite/basalt will help with taking physical damage.

Try out reduced duration instead of faster casting, Its another more multiplier, and makes the calls go off faster.

Thanks for these suggestions. I've taken care of a few of them: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters

Currently what I'm wondering is if there's another gem link I could be running.Of course I'm running Storm Call+damage/radius amps, then the curse on Hit/conductivity/herald link you suggested, and a CwDT/Immortal Call defenseive link. But that still leaves me with at least 2 more links I could be running? What could I put in there?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

Thanks for these suggestions. I've taken care of a few of them: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters

Currently what I'm wondering is if there's another gem link I could be running.Of course I'm running Storm Call+damage/radius amps, then the curse on Hit/conductivity/herald link you suggested, and a CwDT/Immortal Call defenseive link. But that still leaves me with at least 2 more links I could be running? What could I put in there?

Lightning Warp(preferably with quality)/Faster Casting/Less Duration/Rapid Decay for movement instead of Flame Dash
CWDT/Immortal Call/Molten Shell/Vaal Haste(has to be self cast) maybe swap one of the last two for increased duration?
Orb of Storms/Increased Crit Strikes/? (if you feel like using Elemental Overload and don't mind the upkeep)

Have you tried swapping faster casting for increased/conc aoe on your 5l?

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 5, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
1. Swap Clarity and Wrath. The Faster Casting gem means you're reserving 60% of your mana with Wrath instead of 50%.
2. As Bugsy suggested, get a red socket on that chest armor (shouldn't be that hard) and put in a Less Duration. I'd take out Lightning Penetration (you don't have an alternate weapon setup for leveling other gems, you should fix this) and also keep an Increased Area of Effect and Concentrated Effect leveled. Should you ever get a 6 link then you'd have options for what your last gem would be.
3. If you can get away with not needing Clarity, I'd run Discipline instead. You'll need really good mana regen or leech because Wrath + Discipline = 85% mana reserved.
4. Although you have Flame Dash for your mobility skill, Lightning Warp - Faster Casting - Less Duration - Rapid Decay is the best unless you have a bunch of increased duration from the tree (which you don't, because that would be stupid as a Storm Caller). Get least those first 3 setup ASAP (Rapid Decay is only 15% reduced duration and doesn't scale with level)
5. If squishiness is a problem, I'd drop the Lightning Walker points and either fill out the Arcane Focus cluster or grab Foresight work on the rest of that ES wheel. More eHP is never a bad thing.

^^^ Oh yeah, Orb of Storms is a good suggestion for your "missing" link setup.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Also, if you're willing to sacrifice a chunk of your damage, dropping Wraith and your Curse on Hit setup, picking up the Whispers of Doom node for a second curse and running Blasphemy/Temp Chains/Enfeeble is amazing defensively but eats up 70% mana.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 5, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Do you like staying in the shallow end of the pool(Diablo 3) or going to the deep end of the pool(PoE)?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you should play minecraft

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
help I started a whispering ice character

Already have a 6s WI and a (lovely) Astramentis, gonna run with Pyre for double-dipping and bitch nonstop about how expensive good ES gear is, aww yes. Anything specific to the build I should know (besides get all the Int ever)?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Haven't played PoE in ages, but I heard they fixed the problems with desync so decided to give it another go. Any opinions on which class is the most noob-friendly and least difficult to totally gently caress up without looking up builds online?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Haven't played PoE in ages, but I heard they fixed the problems with desync so decided to give it another go. Any opinions on which class is the most noob-friendly and least difficult to totally gently caress up without looking up builds online?
Marauder. Go Juggernaut, use Earthquake. Brainless, overpowered, indestructible.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

theshim posted:

Marauder. Go Juggernaut, use Earthquake. Brainless, overpowered, indestructible.

Thanks, Marauder it is then. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Arzachel posted:

Also, if you're willing to sacrifice a chunk of your damage, dropping Wraith and your Curse on Hit setup, picking up the Whispers of Doom node for a second curse and running Blasphemy/Temp Chains/Enfeeble is amazing defensively but eats up 70% mana.

Eh, I'd advise against a Blasphemy setup for casters unless your damage is done up close and personal (Shock/Ice Nova, Blade Vortex, Righteous Fire, etc.).

• Locked thread