Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Virago is a twin and rebel is a single. Everything else is irrelevant, including the power difference, and is generally the kind of stuff only learners/people who don't ride obsess over because you realise when you ride a larger bike that none of the 250 dick measuring stuff matters worth a drat and as long as it's learnable and useable it really makes no difference what it says on paper. They're functionally identical besides the engine. So it depends if you want the kudos (such as it is) of a v-twin cruiser or are happy with a single. I would lean toward the rebel purely from a hassle standpoint what with having less valves, less spark plugs etc but really just either toss a coin or test ride both and see which one is more likeable.

Having worked on a virago 250 recently I would 100% go for the honda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Rebel is actually a parallel twin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Rebel is actually a parallel twin.

My mind is legitimately blown, holy poo poo. How did they manage to get that little power out of a twin? I'm now 100% in the virago camp, christ that's terrible.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The Rebel (and CB250)'s engine has a 360-degree crankshaft, that might have something to do with it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The difference in power between the two is so slim she wouldn't notice the difference (at least not until she's been riding for a while). Same with the top speed, if she's just riding around town she won't top out either bike for a while. Definitely have her sit on a v-star and make sure she likes the seating position and where the footpegs are, I think they're farther forward on the v-star than the rebel. I really doubt she'd go wrong on either one. Have her sit on both, find the best prices for each and flip a coin- she'll probably make up her mind while it's in midair and I doubt she'd regret it either way.

I always wanted a nighthawk 250 before I started riding, but the seat might be too high for her. Same engine as the rebel though.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Nighthawk 250 was my first bike, eight years ago and based entirely on recommendations of this thread. IIRC I paid $1000 cash and a Ruger P89 pistol to a guy in Hyde Park, and promptly crashed into a bush (no damage to any party involved) trying to make my first u-turn. In retrospect a TW200 would've been an even awesomer first bike.

For my friend, it does seem Rebel and Virago/V-Star are much of a muchness, it'll probably just come down to whichever one we first find a good deal on and she likes it when she sits on it. Had an odd cultural moment trying to explain to her that no, she can't get one in green because that's Kawasaki's color and Honda's color is red, so a Rebel will have to be in red or black and if she loves it to death for a year or more maybe she can look into painting it hunter green or something.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slide Hammer posted:

The Rebel (and CB250)'s engine has a 360-degree crankshaft, that might have something to do with it.
My mind is legitimately blown, I thought the only 360 i2 Japanese engines ever made were the XS650 and the W650 pretty much. Well unless you go way back to CB175s or 160s or whatever.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is a 360 bad, or what's the significance?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A 360-degree crankshaft means that the pistons both move up and down at the same time. Compare this to a 180-degreea crankshaft, where one goes up as the other goes down, or a 90/270 degree crank where one piston follows the other almost immediately, but not in sync.

The power delivery of each engine is slightly different, but the most obvious difference is the exhaust note.

360s go BANG-pause-BANG-pause (like a thumper)
270s go BABANG-pause-pause-pause (like a v-twin)
180s go BANG-BANG-pause-pause (like...a fart? I dunno)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fuckin trackbikes, lol. Ask for a VIN on an untitled trackbike, get "why do u want the vin" back. After some back and forth, "well my buddy marked it as 'lost' (lmao ok, that's totes a thing that exists instead of stolen) in 2012 to get insurance money so the bike still counts as hot" get the gently caress outta here

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Fuckin trackbikes, lol. Ask for a VIN on an untitled trackbike, get "why do u want the vin" back. After some back and forth, "well my buddy marked it as 'lost' (lmao ok, that's totes a thing that exists instead of stolen) in 2012 to get insurance money so the bike still counts as hot" get the gently caress outta here

Yeah, because receiving stolen goods isn't a loving crime. :rolleyes: gently caress that guy.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

M42 posted:

Fuckin trackbikes, lol.

Apparently same for trail-bikes, as with the TW200 I was trying to buy (prior to the one I ended up buying) the seller was all "I bought it 20 years ago but had trouble getting the title transferred, so didn't bother since I'm just riding it in the dirt anyway."

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

M42 posted:

hahahahaha.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

360s go BANG-pause-BANG-pause (like a thumper)

Wouldn't it actually sound more like a two stroke thumper? Since there's a detonation every rotation

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Each of those "units" is a half-rotation, and the key is that the exhaust pulses are evenly spaced. I suppose technically it's not exactly the same sound as a thumper, but it's closer to that than it is to a 2-stroke.

A Triumph Bonneville has a 360-degree crank, so go look up the sound of those.

e: it's also possible to build a big-bang 360 twin, where both cylinders fire at the same time. That would be indistinguishable from a thumper, but iirc only a handful of pre-ww2 bikes ever used that design.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 3, 2016

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
all the NVH of a thumper, times two!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Speaking of boring ptwins, here's a good deal for someone in my area (nobody):

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/mcy/5666568456.html

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/5665357782.html

I'm thinking about taking a gamble on this. How easy would it be for me to clean the carbs myself, without a garage?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Not hard. Lift the tank, remove the airbox, unhook throttle cables, loosen carb boots, pull carb out, place everything but the carbs back under the tank and bolt it back down.

Clean the carbs in your kitchen.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Ok, this is probably a good deal then, right?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Uh yeah

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
In case you weren't sure, everyone is trolling you. Messing with carbs on a late model four cylinder with no experience is a major undertaking and will probably end badly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yolo, also make sure you remove each one from the rack

(I did this once, don't do this)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 5, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's never "just the carbs"

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The 599 has probably the worst, most time consuming carbs of, like, any model. Or so I hear.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's not that bad. Just get all your o-rings first, a new set of needle valves and float bowl gaskets, a bucket of carb dip, a couple aluminum trays, and about 8 little containers for jets and hardware. Oh, and a JIS screwdriver and some replacement hardware because you'll strip out all the JIS cheesehead screws. And a manometer or some vacuum gauges so you can synch it after. Then go hog wild. Unracking them isn't terrible, but you'll need new fuel rail seals if you do.

I thought Dutymode has been around for a while and is not new.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 5, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Disassemble and clean them one at a time, it gives you 3 shots for getting it right. Probably needs nothing but the idle jets jammed clear with a wire.

Rev works at a bike shop and doesn't see any of the success stories so he's pretty pessimistic about these things. They're basically Honda F3 carbs which no one would bat an eye at you buying to fix up. Offer 1500 and enjoy your relatively simple project.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Disassemble and clean them one at a time, it gives you 3 shots for getting it right. Probably needs nothing but the idle jets jammed clear with a wire.

Rev works at a bike shop and doesn't see any of the success stories so he's pretty pessimistic about these things. They're basically Honda F3 carbs which no one would bat an eye at you buying to fix up. Offer 1500 and enjoy your relatively simple project.

I'm with you on everything but the wire, that's just savage.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Slavvy posted:

I'm with you on everything but the wire, that's just savage.

it made me cringe when i read it

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Replace the jets if you're a person of delicate constitution.

But the pilot jets in those are brass and deforming the hole in the pilot jet without using a press or a drill is basically impossible. If they're varnished up particularly badly, you can soak them for ages in carb cleaner or whatever else and the plug of varnished gas will never dissolve. Mechanical action is the only way to be sure.

Bikes with oddball carbs you have to be more careful but this is the typical overbuild Honda - a wire through the pilot jet is the best way for a new mechanic to be sure it actually got cleaned. Hell, you can even do it without removing the jets, which a new mechanic is likely to strip due to poor technique or using the wrong screwdriver.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Worst case scenario, mechanic quoted me $350 for a carb rebuild, I'll see if he'll bite at $1500.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

My jet cleaning process goes like this: spray with carb cleaner, blast with compressed air. Boil in a mixture of lemon juice and water for an hour or so, blast with compressed air. They come out looking like brand new brass.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Gorson posted:

My jet cleaning process goes like this: spray with carb cleaner, blast with compressed air. Boil in a mixture of lemon juice and water for an hour or so, blast with compressed air. They come out looking like brand new brass.

More importantly though, how do they taste? Mix the left overs with vodka and take a shot?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coredump posted:

More importantly though, how do they taste? Mix the left overs with vodka and take a shot?

Vodka, lemon-infused jets, ice = gimlet!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Gimlets are made with gin you loving savage.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Z3n posted:

Replace the jets if you're a person of delicate constitution.

But the pilot jets in those are brass and deforming the hole in the pilot jet without using a press or a drill is basically impossible. If they're varnished up particularly badly, you can soak them for ages in carb cleaner or whatever else and the plug of varnished gas will never dissolve. Mechanical action is the only way to be sure.

Bikes with oddball carbs you have to be more careful but this is the typical overbuild Honda - a wire through the pilot jet is the best way for a new mechanic to be sure it actually got cleaned. Hell, you can even do it without removing the jets, which a new mechanic is likely to strip due to poor technique or using the wrong screwdriver.

Yeah, guitar strings are key. And you can't damage the jets unless you're just really jamming it in there or working it hard.

Dutymode posted:

Worst case scenario, mechanic quoted me $350 for a carb rebuild, I'll see if he'll bite at $1500.

See, the problem is that it's not a job that's really worth $350. It takes some time, but the hardest thing about the whole process is making sure you don't lose anything. I bet honda599.com has a good walkthrough written by one of the forum old guys, complete with pictures, part numbers, and model-specific tricks so you don't have to work all that poo poo out on your own. A lot of I4 bike-specific forums also have a user or two that has gone out and bought all the o-rings and bulk and sells the complete set of what you need. If you do it yourself, you'll know how to troubleshoot most carb problems that might come up in the future, too. So paying a shop $350 to maybe do it right if you're lucky turns into another $350 down the road when you don't know how to fix a $10 problem yourself.

It's a fiddly process, but probably way less fiddly and time-consuming than painting miniatures or doing Lego sets or whatever.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TheFonz posted:

Gimlets are made with gin you loving savage.

Must be a geographical thing, I was a server for 6 years and around here everyone gets vodka. Just don't put whiskey in our Old Fashioned's, or there will be a brouhaha :argh:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

Just don't put whiskey in our Old Fashioned's, or there will be a brouhaha :argh:

What kind of loving heathen are you?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

See, the problem is that it's not a job that's really worth $350. It takes some time, but the hardest thing about the whole process is making sure you don't lose anything. I bet honda599.com has a good walkthrough written by one of the forum old guys, complete with pictures, part numbers, and model-specific tricks so you don't have to work all that poo poo out on your own. A lot of I4 bike-specific forums also have a user or two that has gone out and bought all the o-rings and bulk and sells the complete set of what you need. If you do it yourself, you'll know how to troubleshoot most carb problems that might come up in the future, too. So paying a shop $350 to maybe do it right if you're lucky turns into another $350 down the road when you don't know how to fix a $10 problem yourself.

It's a fiddly process, but probably way less fiddly and time-consuming than painting miniatures or doing Lego sets or whatever.

I agree, the shop would be worst-case scenario, if I take it apart and can't get it right. Probably doesn't matter, though, the guy balked at $1600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Gorson posted:

Must be a geographical thing, I was a server for 6 years and around here everyone gets vodka. Just don't put whiskey in our Old Fashioned's, or there will be a brouhaha :argh:

Just like a martini it should have vodka prepended to the name to indicate you have ruined it by removing the gin.