Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Harrow posted:

My friend's take on the lack of indictment:

Honestly not super sure what to think because I'm not read up on the statute itself, but dude's pretty furious. He's not even a Bernout.

Comey said: "to be clear, this is not to suggest that in similar circumstances, a person who engaged in this activity would face no consequences. To the contrary, those individuals are often subject to security or administrative sanctions. But that is not what we are deciding now"

Emphasis mine. And his point is that what they are deciding now is a criminal indictment, not the administrative or security sanctions that Clinton should have faced, had her actions been investigated during her tenure

In other words, your friend missed the nuanced point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I thought Jeb was initially considered a serious contender having FL a lock and expecting to have the blessing of the GOP machine?

Trump torpedoed that unenergetic train before it even got going out of the station.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I, for one, look forward to conservatives bringing up email-gate for the next 4-6 years every time there's a lull in the conservative news sphere, not unlike serving old leftovers when you're out of ideas on what to cook.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

WampaLord posted:

:laffo: Get the gently caress out of here.

Jeb "Please clap" Bush and Scott "My bald spot is from where I hit my head" Walker were not going to stand a chance against Hillary.

This, but more to the point: the Dems have basically locked up something like 240 of the 270 electoral votes they need. If the Dem candidate wins Florida or Ohio it becomes almost impossible for a Republican to win the presidency. The theoretical R candidate would have to essentially sweep every swing state to win the presidency, which is a hell of a tall order when the economy is in decent shape and the republican brand is so toxic to so many people (which it was before Trump turned it into nuclear waste).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

If you can't see how it is in the interests of the global intelligence agencies and various world governments that Assange is accused of an indefensible crime, and that they may have helped the accusations along at best, then you're probably why various intelligence agencies and the global elite get away with so much. Guilty until proven innocent, I guess.

What evidence do you have that the victims are engaged in an international conspiracy?

Or does innocent until proven guilty only count for some accusations and not others?

It just seems weird to claim how important using evidence and the rule of law is, when making baseless accusations and supporting someone refusing to follow lawful orders because they claim a secret un-filed extradition order is out to get them.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I was calling BS on her numbers with Independents. I know she's net positive with Dems.

Independents aren't typically moderates so much as they're disaffected voters from one of the two major parties. So when the GOP is currently a Category 5 Shitstorm, that means that Clinton's numbers are going to look paradoxically weak.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Harrow posted:

Honestly not super sure what to think because I'm not read up on the statute itself, but dude's pretty furious. He's not even a Bernout.

IANAL, but a lot of people seem to be mistaking what Comey said - to paraphrase "if someone lesser did this they could face sanctions" - to mean they would be prosecuted as criminals. A sanction isn't necessarily a criminal charge, it could mean a refresher course on security procedures, a suspension, getting fired or fined, etc.

Also there are a lot of false equivalencies being posted, one I've seen repeated is about a Navy guy who downloaded info off a server onto a flash drive and was sentenced to probation; he was subject to UCMJ, but Hillary is not.

edit: beaten by emdash

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just want to mention that I spent my 4th of July flying to a communist country. Whats that make leftist my power level? Over 9000?

E: Oh poo poo just saw the announcement, is Fox News melting down?

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 5, 2016

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

... what?

Bush wouldn't have been the candidate even if Trump wasn't running.

He is in fact wrong. Someone did a really good post in an earlier thread about the entire issue and why this wouldn't be a big issue if Clinton wasn't the one being discussed. I'll see if I can dig it up.

This one?

quote:

This is primarily a meta-argument about how the email scandal accusations are framed.

kronix posted:

It's very likely that the state dept had no mechanism for delivering classified email to smartphones and the only option would be unclassified email.

When Colin Powell stepped up in 2004 the state department didn't have email at all. He used a private mail account through dial up on his personal laptop in his office to do all his emailing in part to show other people how awesome email is and make the case for adopting it.

In his autobiography he talks with pride about successfully making the case to get funding that allowed him to purchase 44,000 internet capable computers so that every person at state could have one:

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/03...il-scandal.html

Colin Powell posted:

What I did when I entered the State Department, I found an antiquated system that had to be modernized and modernized quickly.

So we put in place new systems, bought 44,000 computers and put a new Internet capable computer on every single desk in every embassy, every office in the State Department. And then I connected it with software.

But in order to change the culture, to change the brainware, as I call it, I started using it in order to get everybody to use it, so we could be a 21st century institution and not a 19th century.

It's a rather important bit of perspective to realize that when Clinton stepped up in 2008 email was still a rather new thing at State ( it takes awhile to get funding and install 44,000 computers ) and that prior to its adoption all the business done on email was done on private accounts out of band. For example, Powell's demo email account only connected with staff who also had private email accounts since the .gov email system didn't exist yet. People who frame this as if the state department IT was run like a James Bond movie are misinformed. Deliberately so since talking up the maturity/security of their IT allows detractors to make Clinton's actions look more significant/subversive.

Another bit of misleading framing is the implication or claim that Clintons' server was set up after she was appointed SoS. In reality the Clinton family server was set up by Bill after he stepped down around 2001ish. Hillary had her blackberry hooked up to it all during the primary. Setting up a secure email server is a significant endeavor for the layman. By claiming it was done after she stepped up you make listeners suspicious and prime them to accept a devious motive. The truth that she just kept on using the setup she'd been using, otoh, flows much more naturally into Hillary's stated reason, convenience. All her poo poo was there and why mess with what works? You can juggle two mail boxes ok but juggling two calendars completely defeats the purpose of a calendar. Again, she used it in place of a non-classified .gov email. When she had to use the secure system she went to the secure building and handed over her wireless devices to security to get in and sit at a special secure terminal like everyone else. She hated it just like everyone else. Lastly, her own emails show her asking IT to hook up her blackberry to a .gov account and them saying they couldn't do it.. ( http://www.cbsnews.com/news/emails-...ure-smartphone/ ). This information is also left out or actively lied about by people pushing a nefarious motives narrative since attempt to use the State system while maintaining the functionality of her system undermines their entire premise.

The last major false frame of the email scandal is the idea that criminal prosecution is something that routinely happens when people mess up with secure material. You get a lot of hyperbolic claims about how much trouble a regular Joe would be if they'd done that. Also a poo poo ton of quoting snippets of legal statutes and torturing the definition of the word "deliberately". If security agencies criminally prosecuted people for honest mistakes then people would never self report or cooperate with security audits for fear of jail. It is more important that breaches be promptly and honestly reported than to jail people for mistakes. They will gently caress you up if you deliberately sell data or deliberately post it to wiki leaks sure. But if you are operating in good faith then jail isn't a realistic outcome even if you "deliberately" took some work home with you the night you got mugged and someone stole your backpack. You didn't intend for the data to get away so that's not the right kind of "deliberately" to get anti-espionage statutes thrown at you.

A minor frame used in all three major frames is trying to make this an elitist thing. Asserting that nobody else uses personal emails when it was actually a common practice or that she is avoiding punishment others would face when in reality punishment would be the exception rather than the rule.

Once you see the tropes and false frames, you can't un-see them.

Grognan posted:
That is exactly what she did though? It was all on the same server unless you are drawing the distinction at email address instead of hardware that hosted it.

No.

She used it instead of an unclassified .gov email. The classified system is something else entirely. It's not even connected to the civilian internet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIPRNet

One of the accusations in the right wing media is that she sneaker-netted a few classified documents from a SIPRNet terminal to the unclassified email system. The quote you'll see for that will have a snippet from her emails with the word "nonpaper" in it ... which is industry jargon for removing the classified bits so that you can release the rest. telling an aid to make it nonpaper and send it is not a problem.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

She would have been reprimanded were she anyone else (and still currently serving in the position), but "reprimand" or whatever other administrative action still isn't "the FBI will recommend an indictment"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
news just out that Scott Walker will be an RNC speaker. Possible VP?

Boon posted:

I just want to mention that I spent my 4th of July flying to a communist country. Whats that make leftist my power level? Over 9000?

seems like you maybe meant to post this in dadchat. but hell yeah that's over 9000

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

If you can't see how it is in the interests of the global intelligence agencies and various world governments that Assange is accused of an indefensible crime, and that they may have helped the accusations along at best, then you're probably why various intelligence agencies and the global elite get away with so much. Guilty until proven innocent, I guess.

When it's also brought up that he's wanted for *questioning* and not outright arrest, that gives the accusations pause. Then when you mention that Assange has offered to answer those questions remotely, or in the embassy, or under an agreement of non extridition, he has been rebuffed.....well.

If this was about answering questions and seeking charges of sexual assault, the prosecution has had ample opportunity.

The point is getting Assange into a state of custody from which he can be extradited to the USA or a CIA black site for imprisonment and torture.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
'convey the usual sentiments' sounds creepy as gently caress coming from (fake) Nixon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, thanks. I'm at work and couldn't watch his whole speech, so I didn't know the full context of the quote.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mcmagic posted:

And they didn't like their odds because the party (the elites and the voters are both to blame) anointed her the nominee despite her being a horrible candidate and willfully ignored all the issues in her track record. And if the GOP wern't so batshit insane as to nominate a joke like Trump, she would lose.

If you think the GOP would still win with someone like Rubio or Cruz you're living in a different world from everyone else.

I like your excuse though "well they didn't run because both the elites and the voters are to blame for annointing her" is pretty wonderful. Those loving voters, how dare they support her instead of your hand-picked candidate. Clearly it's all her fault for spending time shoring up support when they weren't doing so. :jerkbag:

mcmagic posted:

If it was Bush or god forbid Walker vs Clinton, we would be looking at a Republican President.

:lol:

Even if either of them had been the nominee both can be attacked on so much poo poo. Bush literally passed laws so illegal during the Terri Schavio incident that Republican judges were horrified while striking them down and Walker's a sock puppet with downs who holds his office almost entirely because Wisconsin elects governors in off-year elections.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Epic High Five posted:

"I smell paid hillbot. Correct the record?"

Do these people check under their beds for CTR people each night? It is getting indistinguishable from gang stalking at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is the one I was thinking of, thank you!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Do these people check under their beds for CTR people each night? It is getting indistinguishable from gang stalking at this point.

Also, people really neglect their under-bed cleaning regimen.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Narciss posted:

Hillary was never going to be indicted, she's always had Comey & Lynch fit snugly in her pocket; I've been saying that since day 1.

I'm so proud of you. :allears:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Harrow posted:

If she were still sos she would basically be fired in disgrace, but you can't fire someone who doesn't work there anymore.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Narciss posted:

Hillary was never going to be indicted, she's always had Comey & Lynch fit snugly in her pocket; I've been saying that since day 1.

Literally something a nazi would say.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Let us take a moment to heap scorn upon the e-mail trolls who refused to Toxx

While I do not agree with them, those e-mail obsessed weirdos who believed so firmly that they put :10bux: on the line at least have my respect

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://drudgereport.com/flashvp.htm

:getin:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zoux posted:

Also, people really neglect their under-bed cleaning regimen.

Pfft... there's no way anyone can hide under my bed. They'd make a racket among all of the empty whiskey bottles.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So here's my question: did Trump pick a VP before Cory was fired or is he changing his mind?

Cory suggested leaking the pick, implying they had a name. But we've been getting a bunch of media about getting etc so either it is a ruse or Trump is changing his mind?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

the only people who are mad about this are people who really, deeply hate hillary clinton and are looking for something, anything, to bash her with in the desperate hope that she won't be the next POTUS

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Oh god, please let it be Gingrich. 1996 crazy meets 2016 crazy, it will cause a singularity of awfulness that will collapse the universe.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:psyduck:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I guess my question after reading that is: what was the FBI investigating in the first place? What did she do that was negligent enough to warrant an investigation? I'd heard so many things about her sending classified information through that server, but should we read the non-indictment as saying that didn't happen, or that it did but it's not a criminal offense?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

I still think it'll be Christie. He's been Trump's loyal toady for months, no one else will kiss Trump's rear end like he will. Of course Christie's a terrible choice, but since when has anything Trump does made logical sense?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I read that poll as "Bob Barker" and was briefly disappointed when I realized what it really said.

Harrow posted:

So I guess my question after reading that is: what was the FBI investigating in the first place? What did she do that was negligent enough to warrant an investigation? I'd heard so many things about her sending classified information through that server, but should we read the non-indictment as saying that didn't happen, or that it did but it's not a criminal offense?

If I understand correct they were investigating if it was a malicious and intentional act rather than "you hosed up, kinda dumb" or whatnot. THAT would have been criminal-illegal but also was never really likely.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I think they found the e-mail server while looking for Ben Ghazi's skeleton in her closet.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think they found the e-mail server while looking for Ben Ghazi's skeleton in her closet.

Yes, though again everyone knew about this

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ikvana isn't on that poll so it's invalid

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yes, though again everyone knew about this

Look the GOP needed a new scandal because Benghazi wasn't paying dividends and the server was right there! When you put a cookie jar in clear view of a child you don't blame the child when the jar turns up empty.

Of course the end result is the kid gets a hell of a stomach ache, but hey, maybe they'll learn this time! (or not)

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

ImpAtom posted:

If I understand correct they were investigating if it was a malicious and intentional act rather than "you hosed up, kinda dumb" or whatnot. THAT would have been criminal-illegal but also was never really likely.

Yeah they find that there was no evidence of malicious intent, and that her use of a private server was public knowledge and readily apparent. Which was always obvious to anybody who was being fair-minded.

Comey did, however, use much stronger terms than "kinda dumb" and it's also important to note that this seems like a serious though not at all criminal gently caress up and that Clinton directly lied about never handling anything that was classified at the time.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Ikvana isn't on that poll so it's invalid

I kind of expect him to nominate his son or son-in-law. Something that crazy and stupid wouldn't surprise me and it would keep his name in the news cycle instead of his and also the VP's.

Mr Jaunts posted:

I still think it'll be Christie. He's been Trump's loyal toady for months, no one else will kiss Trump's rear end like he will. Of course Christie's a terrible choice, but since when has anything Trump does made logical sense?

But then who will fetch his McDonald's order?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you think the GOP would still win with someone like Rubio or Cruz you're living in a different world from everyone else.

I like your excuse though "well they didn't run because both the elites and the voters are to blame for annointing her" is pretty wonderful. Those loving voters, how dare they support her instead of your hand-picked candidate. Clearly it's all her fault for spending time shoring up support when they weren't doing so. :jerkbag:

:lol:

Even if either of them had been the nominee both can be attacked on so much poo poo. Bush literally passed laws so illegal during the Terri Schavio incident that Republican judges were horrified while striking them down and Walker's a sock puppet with downs who holds his office almost entirely because Wisconsin elects governors in off-year elections.

Cruz, no because he's just as hatable as Hillary is if not more. Rubio or Walker or anyone else who could run as a not outwardly offensive oaf would've probably beat her.

Voters don't always pick the best person for the job. This is news to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Riosan posted:

I kind of expect him to nominate his son or son-in-law. Something that crazy and stupid wouldn't surprise me and it would keep his name in the news cycle instead of his and also the VP's.

don't see why he'd pick one of his son's over ivanka, she's clearly the smarter of the 3 and more suited to a political position

• Locked thread