Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yep, this is a Sonic speedrun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good as gently caress run so far

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Minrad posted:

I was doubtful after googling and seeing nothing but terrible art but holy poo poo this game looks cool as gently caress in gameplay

It feels like a classic genesis game to play. I'm so glad it became what it is now after starting out as just a Sonic fangame.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elliotw2 posted:

Yep, this is a Sonic speedrun.

I like how you'll always see flight in 2D Mario, scrolling in Sonic games and exploiting screen transitions in Castlevania games.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Shut the gently caress up and watch the run.

edit: i have no idea who those people are on the couch and I'm scared

Well, that one guy seems to be giving good insight and the runner is doing alright, so all okay, I guess? (so far at least)

e: Dev commentary!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When the minecart is too slow

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

christ this guys a nervous mumbler

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
run good. so what.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
Love that Jurassic Park T-Rex sound effect for the ant boss

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my god.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Beasteh posted:

christ this guys a nervous mumbler

He's Brazillian, he can't speak very good English.

Seriously, I've known the guy for like, slightly over half a year and he started off so shy he couldn't and wouldn't even talk to any of us and I've spent the past loving forever getting the guy to open up and egg him on to submit his poo poo to GDQ this year and now he's actually here doing the run in front of so many people, he's come so loving far in his confidence in such a short time

and that's wonderful

i am so proud of this lanky fucker in the catboo t-shirt

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It sounds like the devs of the game are doing what the Ori and the Blind Forest devs did as far as speedrunners are concerned where they only change exploits if it really breaks the game which is cool.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
You even zip in this game as a main speedstrat

Sonic 2 when

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HoneyBoy posted:

Sonic 2 when

its good

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Macaluso posted:

It sounds like the devs of the game are doing what the Ori and the Blind Forest devs did as far as speedrunners are concerned where they only change exploits if it really breaks the game which is cool.

Yeah that's neat

Not gimping the game for speedrunners but also leaving it casually accessible

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The dev sounds like a nervous mumbler too so it's good fit.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Macaluso posted:

Strife actually patched a skip in for us, because we found a thing that really broke the game's timing method so we asked him to fix the timing method and not the skip.

He did. Strife is a cool dude and was really friendly to me in my attempts to organise dev commentary for this run. He's pretty nice.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
this is what sonic games should've become

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

HoneyBoy posted:

Sonic 2 when

you gotta make do with sonic generations

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey GDQ staff that read this thread

let succinct run this next year

tia

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

He's Brazillian, he can't speak very good English.

Seriously, I've known the guy for like, slightly over half a year and he started off so shy he couldn't and wouldn't even talk to any of us and I've spent the past loving forever getting the guy to open up and egg him on to submit his poo poo to GDQ this year and now he's actually here doing the run in front of so many people, he's come so loving far in his confidence in such a short time

and that's wonderful

i am so proud of this lanky fucker in the catboo t-shirt

oh thats extremely cool then

this game looks like an actually good sonic game

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Strife actually patched a skip in for us, because we found a thing that really broke the game's timing method so we asked him to fix the timing method and not the skip.

He did. Strife is a cool dude and was really friendly to me in my attempts to organise dev commentary for this run. He's pretty nice.

That skip was one of the most confusing and awesome things I've ever seen speedrunners do btw. On par with Replay Glitch for GTA:Vice City.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Beasteh posted:

oh thats extremely cool then

this game looks like an actually good sonic game

Freedom Planet is a pretty good Sonic/Genesis-style game. It has a bad story that you can completely skip if you so desire and three characters that play pretty differently.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh that flying machine guy is such a bitch as Lilac, good grief Milla makes him look like a chump.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Crain posted:

stream crash?

The capture card drivers are being super finicky this time around, this is the third time they've caused a crash right as something was going on with an HDMI source. In this case it was turning the 360 off.

We have a new HDMI switch so I'm tempted to blame that.

Eonwe posted:

hey GDQ staff that read this thread

let succinct run this next year

tia

I have two things to do with game selection.

1. gently caress.
2. All.

Other than my own offerings, of course. :v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

UraniumAnchor posted:

The capture card drivers are being super finicky this time around, this is the third time they've caused a crash right as something was going on with an HDMI source. In this case it was turning the 360 off.

I have two things to do with game selection.

1. gently caress.
2. All.

Other than my own offerings, of course. :v:

i know buddy, i just say stuff, you know that by now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
milla runs cool to watch

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Eonwe posted:

i know buddy, i just say stuff, you know that by now

hosed up if tru

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

It seems unusual for you to have the free time to post during a gdq! Did you guys finally get the volunteers and experience that you aren't gonna have to hibernate all next week to recuperate? :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

For real though, ty for what you do UA and other GDQ staff

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thx UA

you're a kind man who does a thing at a video game marathon

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

"Huh, I've never seen that before, and I'm the one who made the level"

Classic.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
"I've never seen that happen before" from a Dev surely is a GDQ first.

Oh no okay the Mask dev totally said that too.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kikas posted:

Also the Battleblock guys.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

"Huh, I've never seen that before, and I'm the one who made the level"

Classic.

that zip is like maybe a few weeks old at best

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Kikas posted:

Pink Knight glitch, AGDQ2013(?) for Super Meat Boy 106%.

Minrad posted:

It seems unusual for you to have the free time to post during a gdq! Did you guys finally get the volunteers and experience that you aren't gonna have to hibernate all next week to recuperate? :v:

We have enough volunteers this time around that basically all of the grunt work is covered and I only have to worry when things catch on fire. Which other than the blue screens has been thankfully rare.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
A glass cannon made out of cute :blush:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That stream echo.

EDIT: Oh that's a second tab with the stream. D:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Knee length white sock guy needs to shut the hell up and let either the actual loving dev or the runner talk, he's crowded them both out so much with his incessant babbling they have just stopped contributing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Beasteh posted:

Knee length white sock guy needs to shut the hell up and let either the actual loving dev or the runner talk, he's crowded them both out so much with his incessant babbling they have just stopped contributing

I was under the impression that the runner doesn't really want to talk and is pretty shy in general. Socks guy seems to have been giving pretty good constant information about what's happening

• Locked thread