Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
hahaha the developer is so tired of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo dude shut up

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Wish there was some "HEY GUY, HUSH" sign they could wave.

UraniumAnchor posted:

The capture card drivers are being super finicky this time around, this is the third time they've caused a crash right as something was going on with an HDMI source. In this case it was turning the 360 off.

We have a new HDMI switch so I'm tempted to blame that.

HDMI switch that can be programmed to always keep the EDID you need up and running really helps prevent these things (dirt cheap but not a common feature), and so does having HDMI capture gear of the kind that is never advertised to consumers ($200-$300 entry level) to assure reliability. All but three problems I have ever had with HDMI in my life have come from things not concerning EDID handshakes going limp.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

this game is apparently the dark souls of sonic fangames?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Strife actually patched a skip in for us, because we found a thing that really broke the game's timing method so we asked him to fix the timing method and not the skip.

He did. Strife is a cool dude and was really friendly to me in my attempts to organise dev commentary for this run. He's pretty nice.

You're a good guy.

Now play Silent Hill again. :colbert:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Macaluso posted:

I was under the impression that the runner doesn't really want to talk and is pretty shy in general. Socks guy seems to have been giving pretty good constant information about what's happening

He can't speak very good English, sadly.

also johann holy gently caress stop talking what the gently caress man

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
I'm gonna start on building a custom couch for AGDQ 2017 that has loving ejector seats built in, controlled by idk twitch chat voting or something

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I could not care less about lore theories.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Majuju posted:

I'm gonna start on building a custom couch for AGDQ 2017 that has loving ejector seats built in, controlled by idk twitch chat voting or something

Sounds like everyone's going to be ejected except girlz.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Surprise this guy isn't wearing a suit.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Alteisen posted:

You're a good guy.

Now play Silent Hill again. :colbert:

I am a good guy who went to mild pains to organise Strife to be on for that run

AND THEN JOHANN TALKS OVER THE loving GUY THE ENTIRE RUN

YOU HAVE NO IDEA

HOW loving MAD I AM RIGHT NOW

CHRIST

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
succinct can you tell the guy he did awesome, he seems really disappointed

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

As somebody who has played a fair bit of Freedom Planet, I did enjoy his knowledge of all the bizarre tricks within the game. I usually don't play much Milla but I'll probably revisit her after seeing some of this crazy tech.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Rirse posted:

Surprise this guy isn't wearing a suit.

lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well that was an awkward ending

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA

CHRIST

Make him watch the vod over and over again until he realizes what he did wrong imo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Eonwe posted:

yeah this, guy did awesome it was fun to watch

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yup, fladervy did good, white socks guy talked too much, but I enjoyed watching anyways.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, the embassy matchup for Brazilians is harsh, it must've been kind of a pain to get a dude overseas to "play videogames fast".

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Cool run. Never saw it run with Mila before.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

Man, the embassy matchup for Brazilians is harsh, it must've been kind of a pain to get a dude overseas to "play videogames fast".

they should have explained he was coming here to kick cancer in the butt

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Have there been any actual "bad" runs yet? Because I think most of the runs are watchable and fun

bad is, i.e: hotline miami

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

YOU HAVE NO IDEA

CHRIST

Eh, it's kinda hard to tell how much you should be speaking, especially if no one tries to assert themselves in commentary. Don't be too harsh on the guy.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Eonwe posted:

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah this, guy did awesome it was fun to watch

Azazell0 posted:

Yup, fladervy did good, white socks guy talked too much, but I enjoyed watching anyways.

I will tell him from all of you!

Dias posted:

This run almost didn't happen because of that poo poo. Like, it's a miracle that run came through at all.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Dias posted:

I wonder if the recent passport fuckup was an issue :v:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Socks dude how can you not understand to let the guest or the runner talk over you have you not watched any of these before you twat?!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

MrLonghair posted:

Wish there was some "HEY GUY, HUSH" sign they could wave.

HDMI switch that can be programmed to always keep the EDID you need up and running really helps prevent these things (dirt cheap but not a common feature), and so does having HDMI capture gear of the kind that is never advertised to consumers ($200-$300 entry level) to assure reliability. All but three problems I have ever had with HDMI in my life have come from things not concerning EDID handshakes going limp.

The switch does EDID spoofing and we have $500 micomsoft cards, so it's not from using cheap hardware. :shrug:

The last time we just had super cheap switches (same cards) and it was way more stable than this, so I dunno.

Edit: These things: https://solarisjapan.com/products/sc-512n1-l-dvi-component-hd-and-dvi-capture-board

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 5, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wonder if the Dustforce run will actually finish this time. Last marathon they tried an all-SS run they went over and had to kill it. Getting SS rank on the final levels is rare, as in maybe 15 people have done it world-wide.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Kikas posted:

"I've never seen that happen before" from a Dev surely is a GDQ first.

Oh no okay the Mask dev totally said that too.

Barkley 1 crashing repeatedly on the optional boss with the devs at the event was the best thing.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Does the WR get all the skips/zips first try? I can't imagine where Fladervy lost 2 whole minutes :psyduck:

Also I was under the impression White Socks was doing a pretty good job with the commentary, I know that the dev didn't get to talk much, but Freedom Planet is a visually busy game and trying to watch it without someone explaining it is really confusing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

staplegun posted:

Barkley 1 crashing repeatedly on the optional boss with the devs at the event was the best thing.

Didn't that run crash on the last boss?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

voltcatfish posted:

Have there been any actual "bad" runs yet? Because I think most of the runs are watchable and fun

That four person Zelda game could've stood to be an hour and a half shorter than it was. I dunno how some of you guys stuck it out through the whole thing

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
at first I was really disappointed because the game looked lame, but it ended up pretty cool and really fast. Was a great run, wish that couch dude had talked less.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If rather hear nothing than endless babbling

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Rorus Raz posted:

I wonder if the Dustforce run will actually finish this time. Last marathon they tried an all-SS run they went over and had to kill it. Getting SS rank on the final levels is rare, as in maybe 15 people have done it world-wide.

That was something like 3 years ago, when Dustforce was out for barely a year. Now we've got practiced folk and apparently one of two people capable of doing all-SS runs to completion.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Not really. I missed the Flintstones 2 run but some people said the guy running it had a mediocre meltdown. More boring-bad than funny-bad games in Silly games block.

Best runs so far for me: Tropical freeze race, Jedi academy (seriously, watch this ASAP) and of course Romscout's Awesome SoTN Adventure.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I will tell him from all of you!

This run almost didn't happen because of that poo poo. Like, it's a miracle that run came through at all.

Fun story, we raised about $5000 to send one of our competitive SF4 players to EVO last year as a community effort, people were in contact with Capcom to make things easier and all...and his visa STILL got rejected.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rorus Raz posted:

we'll see

coda run isn't super easy or consistent at all, and that worked out last GDQ

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

i believe some of the awful block runs were actually bad from a gameplay and commentary standpoint

i dont think any of them have been as bad as the crash 2 dude tho, which admitedlly is the worst it's been i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Rorus Raz posted:

It almost certainly will. I posted earlier about it and will edit it into this post in a sec, but short version Sivade is one of the two best SS all levels runners, the best active one, has been super on the grind with multiple pb's in the last few weeks and has been doing this for a while. Should be a real good time :)

edit:

animatorZed posted:

Just a friendly reminder to try and catch the Dustforce DX run later today.

The category is SS all levels this time around, which is a much, much different run to the any% runs in previous years.
Perfect ranks are required on all levels, which means clearing each level collecting all dust without dropping combo (getting hit, falling, going too slow). Importantly, no in level checkpoints can be used so all levels have to be one shot.

The very first showing that dustforce had at a gdq was an attempt at SS all levels, estimated at 1:50, ended up going over 2 hours and the runner didn't manage to SS the final level, yotta difficult. No fault to the runner, the category and that level are crushingly hard, but SS all in a marathon was probably too ambitious at the time since back then only 20-30 people had gotten an SS rank on the final level period.

Since then, only any% has made an appearance because there were maybe 1-2 people capable of even finishing an SS all run with moderate consistency.

Cut to now.
The Dustforce DX version being played has a full 16 more levels than the game had during that original run and yet the estimate of 1:10 is completely realistic, so for anyone who hasn't kept up with the category, the difference in skill, routing, and strats is really insane.
Sivade (the runner), is one of the best 2 SS all level runners, definitely the best active one, and possibly one of the chillest people on the planet.

Absolutely check it out if possible.

• Locked thread