Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it begins...

who's first against the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

my mortgage is like 600 a month but im still broke all the time because of the crushing burden of undischargable student loans

where, pray tell

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

where, pray tell

while flying between cities that matter look out your window

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

it begins...

who's first against the wall?

Well, that guy is technically correct, Google IS watching him. and you. and me.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ours is 12% of net. I laugh at people who overbuy.

we've spent more at target so far this year than we have on our mortgage payments (including property taxes + insurance) :negative:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is it legal to require your employees to sign away their rights to bring ADA / civil rights act lawsuits against the employer? Because I sure as gently caress don't think that's legal but my gf's company is giving everyone "a bonus!!!" if they sign this document that has an absurdly wide blanket waver section saying you agree to never sue based on "all claims for alleged fraud, concealment, negligence, negligent misrepresentation, promissory estoppel, quantum meriut, intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, wrongful discharge, breach of covenant, violation of public policy, sexual harassment, constructive termination, retaliation and discrimination based on age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, national origin, handicap, disability, or retaliation or any other factor protected by law"

is there an arbitration agreement in there too?

just to really round out the awfulness

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zikan posted:

tell her to sign it, take the bonus, and send a report with a photocopy of the document to the state employment enforcement division since it's illegal as all heck

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Well, that guy is technically correct, Google IS watching him. and you. and me.

and he was off to a pretty good start on what to do about it too

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

you can't sign away your federal rights so take the money and send a copy to the AG, NLRB, whoever wants it

You can sign away your rights to sue, especially if you get paid in return. This is commonly used to shut down wage discrimination cases.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

You can sign away your rights to sue, especially if you get paid in return. This is commonly used to shut down wage discrimination cases.

but that would be settling the issue

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is it legal to require your employees to sign away their rights to bring ADA / civil rights act lawsuits against the employer? Because I sure as gently caress don't think that's legal but my gf's company is giving everyone "a bonus!!!" if they sign this document that has an absurdly wide blanket waver section saying you agree to never sue based on "all claims for alleged fraud, concealment, negligence, negligent misrepresentation, promissory estoppel, quantum meriut, intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, wrongful discharge, breach of covenant, violation of public policy, sexual harassment, constructive termination, retaliation and discrimination based on age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, national origin, handicap, disability, or retaliation or any other factor protected by law"

your gf should get a free legal consultation from a local employment lawyer. employment law varies greatly between different cities and this waiver is likely unenforceable, but it could prevent a lot of people from filing a lawsuit or contacting the dept of labor. if you have a good case the lawyer could take it on contingency

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Trabisnikof posted:

you cannot sign away your right to sue on discrimination charges for federally protected classes. no contract can supersede these. arbitration agreements are not enforceable in these cases.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah some podunk arkansas laws about misrepresenting the weight of livestock can probably be waived but lol if you think you can scribble away your employee's ADA rights

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

Yeah so the prices are held up by a low volume of buyers who are getting $1m cash outs

those and chinese investors trying to get their money out of China. and that volume is not so low. there is a huge number of nerds in the valley and SF holding 7 figures in company stock.

basically the Bay Area is a machine for moving billions of dollars from employee stock based compensation into the pockets of long-time home owners.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh. the Chinese are involved. Well, all right then. We're safe.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Chickity China the Chinese Chicken

Apr 7, 2003

chickity-china, the chinese chicken
smuggling money out of the country and loving up your local housing market, making it impossible for normal people to buy homes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the last couple of years buyers have been competing with all cash, no inspection offers from Chinese buyers. it's really bad now. in some areas prices are up 100% in 5 years. totally not a bubble, though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

Chickity China the Chinese Chicken

:suicide:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
how many people at fb or google even get their RSU money when their average tenure is under 2 years.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MeruFM posted:

how many people at fb or google even get their RSU money when their average tenure is under 2 years.

is that true? why would it be that low, have google and facebook even been around long enough to have layoffs??

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
iirc google rsus vest after a year, then monthly. that is, if you can make it a full year, you get the first quarter of your grant. dunno about facebook

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Management posted:

the last couple of years buyers have been competing with all cash, no inspection offers from Chinese buyers. it's really bad now. in some areas prices are up 100% in 5 years. totally not a bubble, though.

That doesn't help but the vast majority of the price rise can be traced to insanely low interest rates letting people leverage themselves into the stratosphere and demolishing other returns so they have a reason to do so.

That isn't likely to change anytime soon either.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

where, pray tell

madison wi.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my brother lived in Madison for a bit and he liked it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

rjmccall posted:

iirc google rsus vest after a year, then monthly. that is, if you can make it a full year, you get the first quarter of your grant. dunno about facebook

do they only use them as a hiring bonus? i get RSUs that vest over 4 years, 1/4 of the grant every year. by the time you've been here 5 years you are getting 4 of them vesting each year but by that time if you are any good the later stock grant is way bigger than the one you got in year 1 so they keep going up, i think it's the main thing they use for employee retention.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

there are lots of worse places than Madison WI.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

That doesn't help but the vast majority of the price rise can be traced to insanely low interest rates letting people leverage themselves into the stratosphere and demolishing other returns so they have a reason to do so.

That isn't likely to change anytime soon either.

yes, china is slowing own and the EU is chaos after brexit so interest rates got like that tiny hike that one quarter a year or so ago before any of that poo poo hit the fan and it's not happening again for years

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

my brother lived in Madison for a bit and he liked it.

I Lived In Madison (And I Liked It)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my cousin, who my mother loves more than her own son, went to uw madison. it sounded like your typical white college town.

they get points for being the birthplace of the onion i guess

Milwaukee supremacy i still miss that city

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There really needs to be some sort of gigantic non-occupancy tax on real estate.

The trick is working out a way for it not to make urban blight go on a rampage; it would help a lot in NYC and SF but it would make rust belt commercial property absolutely radioactive.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

rjmccall posted:

this is accurate. also, rsus are a significant rear end component of engineer compensation (probably even more so the higher up you are). when i hit 1 year in october i'm going to start buying blow

C.H.O.M.E posted:

do they only use them as a hiring bonus? i get RSUs that vest over 4 years, 1/4 of the grant every year. by the time you've been here 5 years you are getting 4 of them vesting each year but by that time if you are any good the later stock grant is way bigger than the one you got in year 1 so they keep going up, i think it's the main thing they use for employee retention.

nah i think everyone gets yearly refresh exactly like you describe (over 4 years vesting monthly). it's "at company's discretion" or whatever, but its basically expected

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

C.H.O.M.E posted:

four-year vesting cycles are so universal that i assume there's a tax reason for it. and yeah, most big companies will start a new grant every year as long as they like you, so that you eventually have 3-5 ticking at once

most companies have grants that tick either once a quarter or once a month evenly across the duration. but usually the hiring grant saves up a few ticks for a year or so, just to encourage you not to leave immediately. this is especially important at google where afaict they intentionally plan your first six months to make you feel completely out of your depth and worthless

Apr 7, 2003

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

this is accurate. also, rsus are a significant rear end component of engineer compensation (probably even more so the higher up you are). when i hit 1 year in october i'm going to start buying blow

nah i think everyone gets yearly refresh exactly like you describe (over 4 years vesting monthly). it's "at company's discretion" or whatever, but its basically expected

Computer programmers at an advertising company are not engineers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rjmccall posted:

four-year vesting cycles are so universal that i assume there's a tax reason for it. and yeah, most big companies will start a new grant every year as long as they like you, so that you eventually have 3-5 ticking at once

most companies have grants that tick either once a quarter or once a month evenly across the duration. but usually the hiring grant saves up a few ticks for a year or so, just to encourage you not to leave immediately. this is especially important at google where afaict they intentionally plan your first six months to make you feel completely out of your depth and worthless

i think it's just something that has a lot of good case law backing the terms of it, which is much more important than favorable tax structures for this sort of thing.

it's the same reason so many companies are actually based in delaware. sure it has low corporate tax rates, but not the lowest in the country by far. there is however all sorts of experience and precedent on various legal issues in the court system and that's where you can really save money/present yourself as a low risk partner.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHBtpqbOKXk

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Citizen Tayne posted:

Computer programmers at an advertising company are not engineers.

nobody cares

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rob zombie is a pretty fuckin' cool dude and i have been a fan of his for a while even thru the bad years

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
blasting some epic codes listening to rob zombie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
1st monitor: portrait orientation with vim on it. 2nd monitor: landscape mode with House of 1000 Corpses on it.

• Locked thread