Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

You'd be surprised at how well the grippy cabinet liners don't work.

Seriously, I have it on the bottom of my silverware drawer, and my tray is always sliding back. I think I'll just shove a piece of wood in there or something...or maybe a second, smaller, plastic tray (like one for putting pens into on a desk?) to put behind it and put larger items, like serving spoons, in.

Line the drawer with cork, leave an area with the footprint of the organizer unlined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm after a big backpack, weather-resistant because I'll be carrying laptops and books and I live in the wettest city in Britain, and roomy enough to hold quite a lot of things - I'm travelling fairly often so being able to hold a fair few items of clothing amongst other things is desirable.

I'm a huge fan of Patagonia backpacks, the design and the colour schemes such as these, but they're a bit too pricey for me right now.

Anyone got any recommendations?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Frankston posted:

I'm after a big backpack, weather-resistant because I'll be carrying laptops and books and I live in the wettest city in Britain, and roomy enough to hold quite a lot of things - I'm travelling fairly often so being able to hold a fair few items of clothing amongst other things is desirable.

I'm a huge fan of Patagonia backpacks, the design and the colour schemes such as these, but they're a bit too pricey for me right now.

I've been using [url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N7R58X2/ref=psd_mlt_bc_B00N7R58X2] this backpack[url] for about a year now, and I've been happy with it. Haven't tried it with my laptop in serious rain so I'm not sure if/how much the zippers would be a water infiltration point, but I had a drink can burst in one section and the others were unaffected. Got it for the reasons of "can carry a 17" laptop" and "also has space to carry a shitload of textbooks or whatever".

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

taiyoko posted:

I've been using this backpack for about a year now, and I've been happy with it. Haven't tried it with my laptop in serious rain so I'm not sure if/how much the zippers would be a water infiltration point, but I had a drink can burst in one section and the others were unaffected. Got it for the reasons of "can carry a 17" laptop" and "also has space to carry a shitload of textbooks or whatever".

Fixing your url

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Frankston posted:

I use a goruck but its priced like its built and looking at the price of the patagonia ehhhh

big fan of patagonias business model (and founder) though. the premium is definitely worth it if you care about that sort of thing

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I've been using this one for a few months and it's great

Lots of adjustability and very spacious. It's not 100% waterproof but I have used it in quite heavy tropical rain with minimum leaking and zero leaking in the laptop pocket. Ignoring the 'lol tacticool' name/description it's a great bag for the (low) price.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I'm in the market for a set of bluetooth headphones.

Any suggestions for over-ear closed models? Multiple paired devices and wired fallback is a must, I use my current headphones with multiple bluetooth-capable devices.

I know bose came out with a new model recently. But I'm not sold about their noise cancelling. I tried a pair of bose headphones a few years ago and the noise canceling felt like continously descending in an airplane.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Horse Clocks posted:

I'm in the market for a set of bluetooth headphones.

Any suggestions for over-ear closed models? Multiple paired devices and wired fallback is a must, I use my current headphones with multiple bluetooth-capable devices.

I know bose came out with a new model recently. But I'm not sold about their noise cancelling. I tried a pair of bose headphones a few years ago and the noise canceling felt like continously descending in an airplane.

I have the QuietComfort 35, the sound quality is great and noise cancelling is superb (it just can't remove my constant tinnitus).

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Speaking of backpacks, I'm after one that isn't huge as I'm going to be using it when on my motorcycle, but has a good use of space. Currently I'm using one of the drawstring backpacks and it's not bad but the drawstrings are annoying as hell when trying get them over a jacket and while wearing gloves. Looked into hiking packs but they seem to be almost the same but costing more. Looked at motorcycle backpacks but they're either goofy, expensive or goofy and expensive.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

travisray2004 posted:

Speaking of backpacks, I'm after one that isn't huge as I'm going to be using it when on my motorcycle, but has a good use of space. Currently I'm using one of the drawstring backpacks and it's not bad but the drawstrings are annoying as hell when trying get them over a jacket and while wearing gloves. Looked into hiking packs but they seem to be almost the same but costing more. Looked at motorcycle backpacks but they're either goofy, expensive or goofy and expensive.

What are you looking to put in it? I have a Camelbak Mule and it's a good size for just necessities but isn't huge. You don't need to keep the bladder in it if you don't need the hydration. It has both a chest strap and a waist strap so it stays put on your back pretty securely.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

travisray2004 posted:

I have two Kriega bags. The R25 backpack and a US10 tailbag. Great bags.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-r25-backpack

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I was a daily commuter on a motorcycle for nine years and my chrome messenger bag never failed to impress me over the last four. As much or as little space as you need, very good with water, easy to throw over a helmet and adjust. It's a keeper, I still use it without the bike.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

travisray2004 posted:

5.11 Rush 12. I've had mine for 4 years and travelled everywhere with it. It's cheap and tough as nails. Lots of room for all your gear and if you get it in black it's very low profile. 5/5 stars.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

What are you looking to put in it? I have a Camelbak Mule and it's a good size for just necessities but isn't huge. You don't need to keep the bladder in it if you don't need the hydration. It has both a chest strap and a waist strap so it stays put on your back pretty securely.

Currently I just hold generic things that I need at the time of jumping on the bike. E.I. A beverage or two, maybe a snack, and anything I need for work when I ride in (usually just paperwork and lunch), but that's mainly because the bag's either not large enough to hold much more or because I don't feel comfortable traveling with something of value in it. Wouldn't mind something to hold my laptop (17"), lunch, change of clothes/shoes, and maybe room for something larger (probably a 8"x8"/10"x10" package) if I'm making a random run to Fedex.

DirtyFalcon posted:

I have two Kriega bags. The R25 backpack and a US10 tailbag. Great bags.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-r25-backpack

drat, that's nice but a bit out of my price range. Looking to stick to $100-$150.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

5.11 Rush 12. I've had mine for 4 years and travelled everywhere with it. It's cheap and tough as nails. Lots of room for all your gear and if you get it in black it's very low profile. 5/5 stars.

I was looking into some of the leisure rucksacks, such as this one from LL Bean so it looks a little less like a school backpack but I'm digging this. Will research it some more. Thanks.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Can someone recommend a specific type of daily disposable contact lens, or just a good place to buy contacts online? I have my prescription and just have ordinary nearsightedness.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

THF13 posted:

Can someone recommend a specific type of daily disposable contact lens, or just a good place to buy contacts online? I have my prescription and just have ordinary nearsightedness.

Generally when you go to an ophthalmologist they have trial pairs for you to try out. Everyone's eyeballs are different so it is kind of hard to go based on internet recommendation.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

THF13 posted:

I've been using Focus Dailies for Astigmatism and they have been great. I bought them from lens.com. My optometrist says they are being replaced and will no longer be available online. I hope not, the new ones are twice as expensive.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Our oldschool Keurig is starting to die. We mainly use it for Hot Water and refillable K-Cups.

I'm thinking its time we go back to a standard coffee pot but I want something good. I'm not sure which type will make the best coffee.

I have an Aeropress right now which is great when it's just me having coffee but if my Wife or company wants a cup it's a pain in the rear end.

Any suggestions for a nice Counter Top Coffee Maker? Bonus points if it can also churn out Hot water for when we want Tea.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

m.hache posted:

Our oldschool Keurig is starting to die. We mainly use it for Hot Water and refillable K-Cups.

I'm thinking its time we go back to a standard coffee pot but I want something good. I'm not sure which type will make the best coffee.

I have an Aeropress right now which is great when it's just me having coffee but if my Wife or company wants a cup it's a pain in the rear end.

Any suggestions for a nice Counter Top Coffee Maker? Bonus points if it can also churn out Hot water for when we want Tea.

If you are willing to spend the money, this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Coffee-Maker-Removable-Kettle/dp/B00YEYKGMK

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

As much as I'd love to, that's ~$600 CAD.

Man, I got so excited at the prospect of owning that sucker. Was already convincing my wife to spend $300 on it.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
How about any electric kettle and a Chemex? You can get a large size if you want and it is dead easy to use. I have the 8-cup version and it makes about 1 liter of coffee at a time.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
So I did the Chemex thing every morning for ~6 months and it was ok, but to be honest, a little hard on pre-coffee me to like, heat to exact right temp, grind beans and pour it evenly. I got really loving sick of it. If you're not heavily addicted to caffeine and lazy, it might be a good fit?

We ended up with Bonavita's TechniVorm knock-off that distributes water on the grounds instead of a single water outlet and has a great carafe. Have had it since the beginning of 2016 and I still love it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

m.hache posted:

As much as I'd love to, that's ~$600 CAD.

Man, I got so excited at the prospect of owning that sucker. Was already convincing my wife to spend $300 on it.

If you don't need a 12 cup carafe, you could get the 9 cup version which is less expensive. Both are recommended by The Sweethome as the best coffee makers. As an additional bonus, the 9 cup model can brew individual cups (something the 12 cup doesn't).

If you want just a good but cheap coffee maker, this Hamilton Beach model is also recommended by The Sweethome.

Thwomp has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Jul 8, 2016

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I am in the need of new exercise shirts. Ive just been using cotton undershirts as of late, as I don't like the feel of the few polyester shirts I've tried (as they get itchy or cause chaffing after an hour or so of running, etc), but cotton obviously stinks at moisture-wicking. I've looked into wool blends cursorily, but am afraid they will get too hot during the summer in Georgia. If anyone knows of a better YLLS thread to ask in, please show me the way.

Edit: VVVV any particular brands/lines you'd suggest?

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Jul 8, 2016

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Merino wool shirts are amazing, but they're expensive. I'm wearing one right now in 90 degree weather and it's comfy. They also get holes in them easily, but if you have the :10bux: it's worth it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

If you don't need a 12 cup carafe, you could get the 9 cup version which is less expensive. Both are recommended by The Sweethome as the best coffee makers. As an additional bonus, the 9 cup model can brew individual cups (something the 12 cup doesn't).

If you want just a good but cheap coffee maker, this Hamilton Beach model is also recommended by The Sweethome.

https://www.amazon.ca/8710100-Barista-Brain-Coffee-Silver/dp/B00YEYKK8U

Amazon can suck it sometimes. Why is it so hard to get this poo poo priced reasonably north of the border.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

various cheeses posted:

Merino wool shirts are amazing, but they're expensive. I'm wearing one right now in 90 degree weather and it's comfy. They also get holes in them easily, but if you have the :10bux: it's worth it.

If you don't mind looking like a doofus, most local running stores I've been to have had clearanced poo poo with unpopular graphics/colors at very reasonable prices made of merino.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've got a stack of Icebreaker shirts I wear for everything. And underwear.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

1redflag posted:

I am in the need of new exercise shirts. Ive just been using cotton undershirts as of late, as I don't like the feel of the few polyester shirts I've tried (as they get itchy or cause chaffing after an hour or so of running, etc), but cotton obviously stinks at moisture-wicking. I've looked into wool blends cursorily, but am afraid they will get too hot during the summer in Georgia. If anyone knows of a better YLLS thread to ask in, please show me the way.

Edit: VVVV any particular brands/lines you'd suggest?
Uniqlo air stuff. It's cheap, cool, and comfortable. Plus it comes in a foil package so you can pretend you're in the future.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
On the topic of rain and backpacks I have a Timbuk2 that I protect with a rain cover. The cover packs very small and is easy to use.

https://amzn.com/B0019DCH9O

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My Chrome bag is easily rainproof without a jaundiced scrotum flopped over it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Using a scrotum for bag protection seems appropriate if you've got the balls to pull it off.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Dick Trauma posted:

Using a scrotum for bag protection seems appropriate if you've got the balls to pull it off.

Yeah, but you look like a dick.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Do not avatar shame.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

My Chrome bag is easily rainproof without a jaundiced scrotum flopped over it.
The popularity of $150 nylon messenger bags upsets me greatly.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Josh Lyman posted:

My Chrome bag is Cordura and truck tarpaulin with a metal clasp. Maybe you're thinking of timbuk2 bags?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Cordura is a brand name for nylon.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm only upset because I'm no profiting from bullshit.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
sorry you can't handle the rugged, masculine urban lifestyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What should a messenger bag cost?

I have an old old Timbuk2 bag that saw maybe 10 years of daily use and it is still kicking, sitting in a drawer, waiting for me to break it out again. Buying it was maybe the only smart thing I did when I was twenty.