Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I'm having some trouble because sometimes I think I'm smart and it turns out that I'm not. I bought a chain and sprockets for my '81 Honda CM400C a while back and finally had the time and the tools to go about swapping the old parts for the new. It turns out that I bought the wrong chain, a 520 instead of a 530. Normally I would just return the chain and order a new one right? Well I'm passed the return date by a month and I don't exactly have another $100 to buy a new chain. A friend of mine suggested getting 520 sprockets instead since it will cost less. Here's the problem though, I can't find anywhere that will tell me which 520 sprockets will fit my bike. It also doesn't help that it's July 3rd and no one is open to answer calls. If anyone knows anything to point me in the right direction I would be very thankful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hawk it on ebay and buy a 530 with the proceeds?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Of course a CM400 would have a loving 530 chain.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hey bike people, what's a normal price for a set of PR4s? Sizes 120/60 and 160/60, the shop I'm looking at is saying £200 for the pair.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cb125 uses anchor chain from cargo ships

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Prices around here are $400 - $450AUD fitted. That being said, I have them, I hate them. Will not be getting again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
PR3s are £170 and I've heard some goons prefer them to 4s, but who knows why :iiam:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Shimrod posted:

Prices around here are $400 - $450AUD fitted. That being said, I have them, I hate them. Will not be getting again.

Say why; I'll probably be getting PR4s for my bike once it gets too cold to ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

PR3s are £170 and I've heard some goons prefer them to 4s, but who knows why :iiam:

They feel a lot sharper and sportier; the grip is the same but the PR4's feel really numb and truck-like and I wouldn't recommend them for anything less than a big bike because the longevity trade-off isn't worth it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I have bled car clutch hydraulics and brakes, but never bikes. Are they easy to bleed, or do I need a mityvac or something like that?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

They feel a lot sharper and sportier; the grip is the same but the PR4's feel really numb and truck-like and I wouldn't recommend them for anything less than a big bike because the longevity trade-off isn't worth it.

Bearing in mind I'm the idiot who commutes on a 600cc sport tourer and only goes joyriding like once a month.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bearing in mind I'm the idiot who commutes on a 600cc sport tourer and only goes joyriding like once a month.

:glomp: I feel your pain. Doing ~80 miles of commuting a day really drains you. Especially if I lane-split the whole way, I feel like I've just marathoned guitar hero on expert mode when I get home.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

I have bled car clutch hydraulics and brakes, but never bikes. Are they easy to bleed, or do I need a mityvac or something like that?

If you've done a car then you'll find a bike very straightforward because you can operate the brake and the bleed screw simultaneously by yourself. You don't need any special tools but they make things easier; people on the internet will offer you a million different ways that are totally the right way but most bikes are super straightforward.

I commuted for over a year on a tidy 919 with PR4's and I felt like my flogged out ZRX with PR3's cornered better.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What are some good commuter / canyon friendly tires for a california resident? I do ride in the rain, but it never rains here. Bike is an FZ07

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Between them I'd go for the cheaper option.

A MIRACLE posted:

What are some good commuter / canyon friendly tires for a california resident? I do ride in the rain, but it never rains here. Bike is an FZ07

If you like mileage, whatever Pilot Road is on sale.

Wildcard: I'm about to guinea pig a pair of Roadtec 01s on the Uly. They're supposed to be fabulous ST tires but I haven't tried them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Slavvy posted:

If you've done a car then you'll find a bike very straightforward because you can operate the brake and the bleed screw simultaneously by yourself. You don't need any special tools but they make things easier; people on the internet will offer you a million different ways that are totally the right way but most bikes are super straightforward.

Thanks. Thinking about doing a brake refresh on my bike, wanted to make sure I didnt need to buy anything extra. The brakes feel a little spongey, I think I might just replace the lines while I am at it. Are stainless steel lines worth bothering with? Will probably do a couple of novice trackdays by end of year.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you can afford the extra cash for what is essentially a shiny bauble, get the braided lines. You can pick the color on those, so there's some bonus there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

I am using Pirelli Angel GTs on the ZRX. Tread life is pretty good, and they handled relatively well in the rain as well. They don't feel very sticky though, so if you have a lot of canyon riding to do then they might not be your first choice. I found them pretty cheap though, so I'm happy.

You're in Socal, right?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
PR3s it is then. I'll give the shop a call at some point and see if they're eligible for their interest free finance offer (minimum spend £500 :shepspends:) and if they are I'll get a set of EBCs as well to replace my current warped front discs.

Boy I sure am glad I was already committed to a life of poverty before I got into motorbikes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PR3s it is then. I'll give the shop a call at some point and see if they're eligible for their interest free finance offer (minimum spend £500 :shepspends:) and if they are I'll get a set of EBCs as well to replace my current warped front discs.

Boy I sure am glad I was already committed to a life of poverty before I got into motorbikes.

Motorcycles make me look forward to my 40s, when I hope I will finally be able to spend as much as I want to on the things.

A lift built into my garage.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Chichevache posted:

I am using Pirelli Angel GTs on the ZRX. Tread life is pretty good, and they handled relatively well in the rain as well. They don't feel very sticky though, so if you have a lot of canyon riding to do then they might not be your first choice. I found them pretty cheap though, so I'm happy.

You're in Socal, right?

I am. Most of my commute stays in Ventura county but I also have to be at an office in Santa Monica occasionally.

I do a lot of cutting through the Santa Monica mountains when the 101-405 interchange is backed up. Don't really push the bike hard or anything but I can recognize good tires and feel more confident when I have them.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't want to spend anything on them... I need to.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I can't wait for the Tokyo motor show in November so I can start lusting after a shiny new kawasaki instead of the platonic ideal of my current one.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

Say why; I'll probably be getting PR4s for my bike once it gets too cold to ride.

They tip in very slow then once you get close to the edge drop in rather sharply. Front tyre likes to let go once you start to push a bit. They're just not very grippy. Great as a touring tyre, which is what they are, not great if you want to hit up the twisty roads.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

A MIRACLE posted:

Which tires did yours come with? Mine got the Bridgestone Battlax BT-023s which were a great commuter and twisties tire as long as you aren't looking to drag knee.

I'm having Battlax T30s put on the VFR right now, replacing the old Contiattacks that the previous owner had.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Which tires did yours come with? Mine got the Bridgestone Battlax BT-023s which were a great commuter and twisties tire as long as you aren't looking to drag knee.

I'm having Battlax T30s put on the VFR right now, replacing the old Contiattacks that the previous owner had.

Pretty sure they do say Battlax on the side. I'm at about 3k miles so it's not super pressing to get new ones yet. I am slipping the rear a lot off the line now though. Maybe that's just me riding like a dong

FZ 07 to VFR huh? That's... quite possibly the same direction I might be headed. I want something with more luggage, ABS, traction control, heated grips, self canceling turn signals, VTEC. Do you like it?

I justify that stuff to myself because I refuse to own a car. I think lanesplitting might suck with panniers though.

I also really miss my old Honda so I just want to get another Honda. Planning to put at least 10k miles on the FZ and then I think I'll get something more DadBike

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 6, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fwiw I've done like 3 trackdays on my pr4s and haven't had any issue with wonky tip in, letting go, etc. I'm not some grandma moses that parks it out there either. Feel is solid and wear looks pretty good for a street tire.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've ~8500ish miles on a set of pilot power 2CT. rear is almost spanked. Its cheat rubber. Its surprisingly sticky even on muddy dirt roads.

wet metal though? lolnope.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

M42 posted:

Fwiw I've done like 3 trackdays on my pr4s and haven't had any issue with wonky tip in, letting go, etc. I'm not some grandma moses that parks it out there either. Feel is solid and wear looks pretty good for a street tire.

For what it's worth I didn't mind them on my 600, and probably wouldn't mind them if I hadn't ridden my zx10r with proper sport tyres as well. They're just frustrating to go back to after good tyres.

The other tyres I have on my other bike are Alpha 13s which are stupid amazing, which probably enhance the pr4s shortfalls.

You can still ride quick on PR4s, I just find that if I try to have a bit of fun I'm pushing their limit very quickly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PaintVagrant posted:

Get a set of speed bleeders ASAP and install them the first time you bleed the brakes. They are awesome.

PaintVagrant posted:

Thanks. Thinking about doing a brake refresh on my bike, wanted to make sure I didnt need to buy anything extra. The brakes feel a little spongey, I think I might just replace the lines while I am at it. Are stainless steel lines worth bothering with? Will probably do a couple of novice trackdays by end of year.

The brakes on your 600 are already many times better than the ones on your old bike. It's good to keep things maintained and all, but like...why don't you just go out and ride it? It looked like it was in perfect shape in all the photos you've posted.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

I've ~8500ish miles on a set of pilot power 2CT. rear is almost spanked. Its cheat rubber. Its surprisingly sticky even on muddy dirt roads.

wet metal though? lolnope.

What is the best tire for wet metal?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Get a set of speed bleeders ASAP and install them the first time you bleed the brakes. They are awesome.

The brakes on your 600 are already many times better than the ones on your old bike. It's good to keep things maintained and all, but like...why don't you just go out and ride it? It looked like it was in perfect shape in all the photos you've posted.

I ride all the time :) I know that despite the condition of the bike it is 11 years old and could have 11 year old pads and fluid. The tires were original :stare:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

M42 posted:

When you get the slightest hint of front feedback going numb back off immediately and call the session done. You won't like what happens next if you question what you're feeling and stay in it :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

What is the best tire for wet metal?

Bare rim with no tire

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bare rim with no tire

Works for locomotives

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Phy posted:

Works for locomotives

Trains are the only form of transportation that can compete, imo. I can drink on a train.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A MIRACLE posted:

I justify that stuff to myself because I refuse to own a car. I think lanesplitting might suck with panniers though.

Eh, I haven't had any trouble.

They only add a few inches at most, so the gap that you can't fit through with them but could without them isn't one you'd be aiming for anyway even if you didn't have them on, if that makes sense (because it'd be so narrow that either driver would only have to breathe on their steering wheel to close it off entirely)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PaintVagrant posted:

Seconding what sagebrush said about speed bleeders. They are amazing and good and you should buy them and use them.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

When you get the slightest hint of front feedback going numb back off immediately and call the session done. You won't like what happens next if you question what you're feeling and stay in it :v:

Thankfully I won't have to worry about that anymore, soon enough :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

They are awesome but kind of an extravagance for a motorcycle where you can operate the brake and bleeder from the same position.