Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I remember CaveStory being run a couple years ago (agdq14?) and I really liked how dry the runner's sense of humor was.

I remember hearing he submitted it for later runs and uyama or someone else shot it down chastising him for a death he took during the run and forgot to make one of his safety saves adding somtehing like 3-4 minutes to his run and i remember thinkig this was unbelievably hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

Oh gently caress now this is a speedrun

And he's playing with a keyboard, the madman :psyduck:

Okay, I don't really get that about SMB, it only has four directions and two buttons.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

The estimate is 41 minutes, how many levels are in supermeatboy? I am an uncoordinated mongoloid who couldn't get that far in it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

World 2's music in super meat boy is so fuckin badass. Super Meat Boy owns but all the boss fight sucks but then again western developers don't really know how to make good boss fights half the time

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah the music in this game is amazing. That why I haven't even touched the PS4/Vita version I got from PS+ since it replaced all the music.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I didn't even know SMB speedrunning was a thing this is amazing me :stare:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Alighieri posted:

The estimate is 41 minutes, how many levels are in supermeatboy? I am an uncoordinated mongoloid who couldn't get that far in it.

The base game has about 240, but he's missing out about 3 stages in each world and secret levels, so around 150ish?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dias posted:

Okay, I don't really get that about SMB, it only has four directions and two buttons.

The strain on your hands with keyboard is much greater.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alighieri posted:

The game has like 8 worlds (and I think Cotton Alley is World 9) plus dark worlds so roughly 320 levels counting dark + whatever Cotton Alley has.

It's not 100% so no bandages or having to die constantly to spawn glitch girl.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Alighieri posted:

I think to get the Dark World ending you have to beat 180 levels plus bosses (17 each from 1-5 and 5 from 6, and then a similar number from dark world) but it's been a while so I might be wrong on that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Crain posted:

The strain on your hands with keyboard is much greater.

Eh, I guess it depends on how used to were to playing platformers on PC. As I said before, I beat Guacamelee on keyboard, hehe.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

People who are really good at Super Meat Boy impress me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That black and white level with the keys on the right, left and middle was awesome

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i'm good at super meat boy

it is the tightest and nicest feeling platformer I have ever played

shame about what happened to the level editor lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rirse posted:

Yeah the music in this game is amazing. That why I haven't even touched the PS4/Vita version I got from PS+ since it replaced all the music.

why does my man keep getting his music taken out of ports for the most successful games he worked on (This and binding of isaac)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Im so bad at this game and I love watching it

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

voltcatfish posted:

i'm good at super meat boy

it is the tightest and nicest feeling platformer I have ever played

shame about what happened to the level editor lol

yeah its one of my favorite platformers

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Was it last AGDQ where the game got desynced? Felt sorry for the guy, he did well considering there was a serious technical issue going on.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

why does my man keep getting his music taken out of ports for the most successful games he worked on (This and binding of isaac)

Licensing fees disagreement.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Because he split from Team Meat and they don't wanna pay him for it. It's perfectly understandable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh poo poo that was tight

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

a reason i 100%ed this game 6 years ago or whatever and will prob never touch dust forstrce is few few SMB levels take more than 20-25 seconds to complete. the dust forecec levels look way too grindy for me and the fact that content is locked up behind perfectly minute+ long marathons is too dire a situation for my soul.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

beep by grandpa posted:

If I recall, I believe there was fallout between him and McMillen over changing composers for Mewgenics and Rebirth, but someone else might know better than me.

EDIT: Beaten.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

beep by grandpa posted:

I wish the Rebirth mod to put the music from the original game didn't just overwrite the music entirely. A mix of the two sets would be great

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Time to listen to awesome synth music for a few weeks

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SMB runs trigger me because I Remember the time blueglass was shushed like a dog.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Aww yiss, best music in the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

SMB runs trigger me because I Remember the time blueglass was shushed like a dog.

What!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

I forgot about that, that just annoyed me all over again

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

Because he split from Team Meat and they don't wanna pay him for it. It's perfectly understandable.
This would be more meaningful if Team Meat ever put out another game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
those fuckers cancelled mewgenics

what are they even working on at this point

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

beep by grandpa posted:

a reason i 100%ed this game 6 years ago or whatever and will prob never touch dust forstrce is few few SMB levels take more than 20-25 seconds to complete. the dust forecec levels look way too grindy for me and the fact that content is locked up behind perfectly minute+ long marathons is too dire a situation for my soul.

If it makes you feel better, the content that's locked behind those doors is also really hard. Asking you to SS a level is hard as gently caress, but it's also how you learn how to play the game well enough to even beat some of the harder levels.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Eonwe posted:

BoI Afterbirth+, I'd assume. Haven't heard anything about it since, what, December? They're probably going for another October release.

Add me to the 'salty about Mewgenics' pile.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
those eye laser levels are always so choppy

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Eonwe posted:

They were working on a mobile version of Super Meat Boy (which is funny after doing a big rant over mobile games at GDC or wherever) and then all news on that dried up after like one PAX appearance.

I have no idea what Tommy is even doing, but since Edmund keeps putting out his own games I think it's safe to say Team Meat is largely dead.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that loving skip

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Eonwe posted:

that loving skip

Right?? What the gently caress

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Eonwe posted:

apparently "The Legend of Bumbo"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

THIS BOSS IS SO TERRIBLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

BoI Afterbirth+, I'd assume. Haven't heard anything about it since, what, December? They're probably going for another October release.

Add me to the 'salty about Mewgenics' pile.
Isaac and other games like Fingered aren't Team Meat. They're just solo projects that Edmund does with other people.

Literally the only game Team Meat has put out is Super Meat Boy.

EDIT: Bumbo is also an Edmund-only project.

• Locked thread