Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Incoherence posted:

The cool thing about Super Meat Boy is that all of the rotating saws and such are on level-wide cycles tied to level time in such a way that, most of the time, if you're doing the intended route as fast as possible, they'll all line up for you.

yea, its kind of a speedrunners dream in a way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I meant to bring this up earlier but I saw some posts while I was at work today talking about how hour+ runs are usually bad. I wanted to say that the best multi hour speedrun I've ever seen at a GDQ was the Kingdom hearts 1.5 HD remix run from AGDQ16. It is about 3 hours iirc and has constant high execution tricks and skips, crazy combos, stunlocks and very high risk tricks all the way throughout since he's playing on hard mode and horrendously underlevelled. It would be a 10/10 if not for some awkward singing bits during the gummi missions.

vvvv caught in a grandpa sandwich bitch

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

this is kinda off topic but since we're talkin about meat games if any of you liked binding of isaac I started playing Enter the Gungeon on my PS4 a few weeks ago and it is dope as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkk

Enter the Gungeon is good, but I don't like its sense of progression and how large the stages are. Still, it's a fun game.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

^^^^ caught in a grandpa sandwich bitch

Incoherence posted:

The cool thing about Super Meat Boy is that all of the rotating saws and such are on level-wide cycles tied to level time in such a way that, most of the time, if you're doing the intended route as fast as possible, they'll all line up for you.

Donkey Kong Country 2 is designed this way too

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHA-slBtPYo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

Enter the Gungeon is good, but I don't like its sense of progression and how large the stages are. Still, it's a fun game.

you got caught in a grandpa sandwich

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Incoherence posted:

Mario Maker DOESN'T have global timing and it annoys the hell out of me

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Eonwe posted:

you got caught in a grandpa sandwich

idgi

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

:doh:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

man clearly I should put my music career on hold and take up speedrunning instead considering how many singing incentives keep popping up

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rorus Raz posted:

Mario Maker DOESN'T have global timing and it annoys the hell out of me

i still think a good platforming level is on a global timer and if you're really good you can just rush thru it always

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

beep by grandpa posted:

I meant to bring this up earlier but I saw some posts while I was at work today talking about how hour+ runs are usually bad. I wanted to say that the best multi hour speedrun I've ever seen at a GDQ was the Kingdom hearts 1.5 HD remix run from AGDQ16. It is about 3 hours iirc and has constant high execution tricks and skips, crazy combos, stunlocks and very high risk tricks all the way throughout since he's playing on hard mode and horrendously underlevelled. It would be a 10/10 if not for some awkward singing bits during the gummi missions.

vvvv caught in a grandpa sandwich bitch

KH2 FM was good too because it was a relay race and each player had different set ups and strats

Also all the menu management in Japanese at fast speeds, oh and the boss exhibition, drat that was a good run

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

HoneyBoy posted:

KH2 FM was good too because it was a relay race and each player had different set ups and strats

Also all the menu management in Japanese at fast speeds, oh and the boss exhibition, drat that was a good run

Surely this was not also AGDQ16, was it?

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

sandwiches are usually described by the filling not the bread

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

not happening

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Studio posted:

I... I run PC games and hate how mechanical keyboards feel

you're a monster

clackity clackity clack so satisfying

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Blind SOTN VOD Btw: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/76339447?t=7h3m25s

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

beep by grandpa posted:

Surely this was not also AGDQ16, was it?

nah it was before that

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So this game is more of a Sonic game than any of the modern Sonics

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is really boring

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

This Rocket: Robot on Wheels remake is looking good.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Whoooa this game looks kinda cool.......

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

So this game is more of a Sonic game than any of the modern Sonics

Suddenly everything makes sense

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
So this game has basically Tribes controls? I mean Tribes is fun to move around in so sounds neat.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since they keep having to do ads for and have the annoucer talk about them..what has Tiny Build actually done for GDC? None of their games are ever run.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

Whoooa this game looks kinda cool.......

looks fun to play, not to watch

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rirse posted:

Since they keep having to do ads for and have the annoucer talk about them..what has Tiny Build actually done for GDC? None of their games are ever run.
They've kept any of their games from being run. It's very generous of them.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Holy crap, these guys actually have good commentary manners and are letting the devs talk and asking them questions and poo poo

thank you defunct guys for showing us how it's done

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Eonwe posted:

looks fun to play, not to watch

AGree, this could be one of those games where if a friend unexpectedly calls you with bad news/having a lovely day you'd just throw this on that you don't have to pay that much attention to but can still be there as a good, dedicated friend.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
this game faaaaaast

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Holy crap, these guys actually have good commentary manners and are letting the devs talk and asking them questions and poo poo

thank you defunct guys for showing us how it's done

now you're just being a baby

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This run is a pleasant surprise.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dias posted:

to be fair the poor guy basically watched another dude gently caress his girl and gently caress her badly

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, this is a blue skies game. Soothing speed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This is a really cool looking game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

get hideki naganuma to make music for this game

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I want to play this game but I don't think I can deal with this FOV.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Weird 3D Tiny Sonic is okay. It's also not overly long and the commentary is good.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dias posted:

Kinda? But I do want to remark that the runners and the devs have good commentating chemistry and as a result it is fun to watch!

like i don't have to draw the comparison but i'm going to anyway this is more how you handle having devs on commentary, it's not rocket science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

to be fair the poor guy basically watched another dude gently caress his girl and gently caress her badly

The commentary was good, he's just pissy his friend didn't say a word and it's getting kinda grating especially when it's a callout during a completely different run hours later. Just PM the guy your complaints, or link me to his social media so I can CP that poo poo to him, I dunno.

I'm done.

• Locked thread