Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Riso posted:

You'd think pussy was the only stable commodity in supply in Venesuela.

Smells terrible though cuz they don't have basic hygienic products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hell get rid of the gear box altogether and make them pick one gear for the entire race.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Get rid of drivers too while we are at it and switch to electric engines too

Hey it's what F1 is all about right? The best tech in the world?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Please tell me what you think F1 is about

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I do believe Norn's simulator costs about the same of a real F1 car tho.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

Please tell me what you think F1 is about

It is about developing the most realistic feeling Fleshlight possible

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
https://soundcloud.com/themonday-morning-podcast/monday-morning-podcast-7-4-16 skip to 23m15s

i could listen to bill burr describe F1 races all day

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So if Shifting doesn't matter, then why are CVTs banned?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Bill Burr needs to do some research, he likes Lewis at the moment.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Yeah I'm a big fan of the '88 midfield. March-Judd 881 ftw.

Speaking of Midfield the 100T was an awful, awful car. The results would have been even worse if it didn't have the far and away best engine that year.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

daslog posted:

At the time it would have given the Williams a massive advantage that they already had without the CVT.

I'd love to see a modern CVT F1 car though. Might shut people up about noise at least!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last weekend at donnington they had all the cars in the museum out on track and there was a bigger crowd there than at the F1. What would go a long way towards fixing F1 is if there was a F1 classics series on before the main race. Make it 20 laps, stock ford V8s and use all those lovely old cars teams have sat in storage for no particular reason because they never see the light of day.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

daslog posted:

Because they make everything sound super boring with the engine sat at a near constant RPM as the car accelerates.

(I'm sure there's a better actual reason).

I think I've posted about this before but apparently Patrick Head's dream was to have a GPS/Active Suspension/CVT equipped wonder-car that could optimise itself based on its location on track and a bunch of telemetry inputs.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Last weekend at donnington they had all the cars in the museum out on track and there was a bigger crowd there than at the F1. What would go a long way towards fixing F1 is if there was a F1 classics series on before the main race. Make it 20 laps, stock ford V8s and use all those lovely old cars teams have sat in storage for no particular reason because they never see the light of day.

I think the FIA has a vintage championship with Atmo V8s.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jammyozzy posted:

Because they make everything sound super boring with the engine sat at a near constant RPM as the car accelerates.

(I'm sure there's a better actual reason).

I think I've posted about this before but apparently Patrick Head's dream was to have a GPS/Active Suspension/CVT equipped wonder-car that could optimise itself based on its location on track and a bunch of telemetry inputs.

It would have appeared given more time.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CVT would've killed any roadcar relevance. The cars would've had more in common with a generator at that point.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Did we ever get a reason for Vettle's tyre exploding?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Norns posted:

Did we ever get a reason for Vettle's tyre exploding?

Not yet, looking at the footage Ferarri were full of poo poo when he said he was staying off the kerbs as he was clearly on the red solid car killers. My wild theory is that something came off his car and cut his tyre.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

CVT would've killed any roadcar relevance. The cars would've had more in common with a generator at that point.

Huh, our previous car had CVT and while it was a bit weird initially, I actually got to really like it. It certainly beats any regular automatics and is way more fuel efficient too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
a possible future where they force everyone to use manual stick shifters and everyone itt oohs and ahhhs for about 5 minutes, right up until the realization that this has done jack poo poo for the racing product

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

a possible future where they force everyone to use manual stick shifters and everyone itt oohs and ahhhs for about 5 minutes, right up until the realization that this has done jack poo poo for the racing product

literally every single fan-influenced decision of the last decade

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

literally every single fan-influenced decision of the last decade

THIS.

See this years radio ban as a top example.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Huh, our previous car had CVT and while it was a bit weird initially, I actually got to really like it. It certainly beats any regular automatics and is way more fuel efficient too.

That's because a road car's CVT is based around fuel economy and keeping it as low an RPM as possible while retaining some driveability. Any racing car CVT would have the car at the redline for the entire lap.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Probably true. Still though...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

That's because a road car's CVT is based around fuel economy and keeping it as low an RPM as possible while retaining some driveability. Any racing car CVT would have the car at the redline for the entire lap.

That depended entirely how how far I pressed the gas pedal!.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rhopunzel posted:

https://soundcloud.com/themonday-morning-podcast/monday-morning-podcast-7-4-16 skip to 23m15s

i could listen to bill burr describe F1 races all day

"I'm gonna just steer clear of this guy and try to annoy the poo poo out of him as much as possible" :allears:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

They do this before the US race.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Norns posted:

Oh stop being a smug rear end. I don't drive any real car at all. But stick shifting in sims isn't loving difficult.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I learned on an 85 Golf I'd love to see you give that a go with your sim practice

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a serious question. Do the sims accurately represent the clutch pedal feel?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

I have a serious question. Do the sims accurately represent the clutch pedal feel?

No

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

I have a 300 dollar set of pedals...the answer is no. It's missing that clutch bite. I haven't used a hydraulic pedal set. So it might still be possible. Still feels really nice. But diffrent.

I actually found it easier to shift in my buddies veloster turbo than I do with some cars in the rig. So who knows knows?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

nsaP posted:

I learned on an 85 Golf I'd love to see you give that a go with your sim practice

Even the most advanced F1 simulators in the world would not be able to replicate the shift action on those cars, I swear to god the feel of mine changes based on the humidity.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

Not unless it's force feedback (I've never seen a force feedback set of pedals and I'm phone posting so I can't check if they exist) and even then I doubt it.

Disclosure: I have a fanatec porsche wheel and clubsport pedals.

Edit: also no h pattern shifter feels like one in a real road car or even a race car (formula Ford shifter is way different from a sim shifter)

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 6, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Still. If you think adding a stick shift to the cockpit of a Modern F1 car is going to some how make these drivers "real men" or some poo poo. You're loving mental.

They would adapt like they do to any other car change and it would be a pointless waste of time.

Norns fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 6, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's not really about being "real men", I just think that they are cool, and managing your gearbox is an art. I also think ABS and TC should not be banned so it's probably best not to listen to me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There was something of an art to driving those things and every driver had a different style, I think you'd just get electronics compensating if you brought them back though. It wouldn't be like the 80s where people would downshift past the redline or grenade the engine by putting it into first instead of third.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
IIRC I read somewhere that Katayama in his first season threw away two points scoring finishes by missing shifts. Now that's pretty embarrassing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

IIRC I read somewhere that Katayama in his first season threw away two points scoring finishes by missing shifts. Now that's pretty embarrassing.

Woulda put him at a grand total of 7 for his entire career!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
What's a good F1 sim to play Norns? I enjoy the Codemasters games but I was wondering about Assetto Corsa or rFactor.

• Locked thread