Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Haven't played PoE in ages, but I heard they fixed the problems with desync so decided to give it another go. Any opinions on which class is the most noob-friendly and least difficult to totally gently caress up without looking up builds online?

Specifically, there are three different options for networking, lockstep, predictive and auto. Basically lockstep avoids desynch, but it's extremely sensitive to a poor network connection. Predictive is the old mode. Auto switches between the two based on whatever's happening with your connection. I think it now defaults to auto, but you may want to check first. Can only be changed from the main login screen options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm having trouble with endgame defense these days..

Mainly because i don't have tons of hours of video games so when i get a character that i think will work well and it doesn't work out well on higher maps I'm usually too close ot the next league and quit till next league.
I was playing mostly armor guys for years with high life and endurance charges and those worked fine, but getting bored with that. Tried out my first acrobatics/evasion/life character.. finding that i'm doing the HOLY gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneone when i get hit for 90% of my hp or getting destroyed on physical reflect.

So what are some core skills combos for tree combos?

Like, Armor/Leech/Resolute Technique/Determination, Armor/Unwavering Stance/Iron Reflexes/Determination

I've never made an Energy Shield/Chaos Innoc/Chaos Reaver/Vaal pact character..

Are these such a thing as viable hybrid defense? like Evasion/Energy Shield or Armor/Energy shield?

The trick to evasion, I find, is you absolutely need the acrobatics nodes. The interesting thing about dodge chance in comparison to evasion/armor is that it works more like resistances, in that each additional 1% dodge chance reduces incoming damage more. If you grab an Atziri's Step and run a Quartz flask, it feels pretty good, then have Vaal Grace for bosses. Smoke clouds are also pretty good defense if you're not moving too much, so a Stibnite flask isn't a bad idea. The Saboteur ascendency that makes smoke clouds is also pretty nice. This setup is good for high damage builds on the right hand side of the tree that can't grab too much life- I've made a lot of trappers with around 4500-5000 life only with these defenses and it works great as long as you can kill things quickly.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm having trouble with endgame defense these days..

Mainly because i don't have tons of hours of video games so when i get a character that i think will work well and it doesn't work out well on higher maps I'm usually too close ot the next league and quit till next league.
I was playing mostly armor guys for years with high life and endurance charges and those worked fine, but getting bored with that. Tried out my first acrobatics/evasion/life character.. finding that i'm doing the HOLY gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneone when i get hit for 90% of my hp or getting destroyed on physical reflect.

So what are some core skills combos for tree combos?

Like, Armor/Leech/Resolute Technique/Determination, Armor/Unwavering Stance/Iron Reflexes/Determination

I've never made an Energy Shield/Chaos Innoc/ghost Reaver/Vaal pact character..

Are these such a thing as viable hybrid defense? like Evasion/Energy Shield or Armor/Energy shield?

Having played all 3 now. Armour/endurance charge dude with 1200 life regen, Evasion/acrobatics dude and now a CI/Chaos Reaver/Vaal pact dude. The CI dude feels the tankiest by far. I just breeze through everything and my 11.5k ES barely gets touched. And if it does I leech it back up super quick. The more mobs that hit me the better because it's more ES I am leeching as my skills go off. I am running a coc/ek/bladefall cyclone dude so that probably has something to do with it. But overall I think ES is pretty powerful regardless of what skill you choose.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

whypick1 posted:

Eh, I'd advise against a Blasphemy setup for casters unless your damage is done up close and personal (Shock/Ice Nova, Blade Vortex, Righteous Fire, etc.).

Any reason besides range? I was planning on running Blasphemy on my EK Assassin since I don't want to bother with self casting or cast on hit.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Range really. EK you'd be much closer to the enemy so it makes more sense. Storm Call you could conceivably drop a couple markers and move well out of Blasphemy range before they strike.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Hauki posted:

Specifically, there are three different options for networking, lockstep, predictive and auto. Basically lockstep avoids desynch, but it's extremely sensitive to a poor network connection. Predictive is the old mode. Auto switches between the two based on whatever's happening with your connection. I think it now defaults to auto, but you may want to check first. Can only be changed from the main login screen options.

Worth noting that auto doesn't do what some people might expect - it decides between networking and lockstep at login based on your latency. It does not just change between them on the fly if you have an inconsistent connection while already playing.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Predictive mode is really good now. I was using when my connection was lag spiking a lot.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Holyshoot posted:

Having played all 3 now. Armour/endurance charge dude with 1200 life regen, Evasion/acrobatics dude and now a CI/Chaos Reaver/Vaal pact dude. The CI dude feels the tankiest by far. I just breeze through everything and my 11.5k ES barely gets touched. And if it does I leech it back up super quick. The more mobs that hit me the better because it's more ES I am leeching as my skills go off. I am running a coc/ek/bladefall cyclone dude so that probably has something to do with it. But overall I think ES is pretty powerful regardless of what skill you choose.

I've played acro/ev and armor/ec + more mitigation thus far and evasion doesn't even feel like actual mitigation to me, even when I have a ton of it. Labyrinth sucks too, traps ruin you without phys mitigation/regen. ES looks the tankiest to me just because of sheer amount and vaal pact honestly. Or maybe just plain life + ec/conversion/armor.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
don't traps ruin you no matter what your physical damage mitigation is?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Voted Worst Mom posted:

don't traps ruin you no matter what your physical damage mitigation is?

Some of them are physical damage, which means armour/endurance charges/various flasks work. All of them are mitigated by fortify.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The most dangerous traps are the ones that do physical degen, so fortify and armor are useless against them (because they do physical damage reduction versus hits). Life regen and endurance charges are how you mitigate those, and a basalt flask will work as a panic button.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My Doomfletcher is CI and except for my inability to generate Frenzy charges reliably/easily it's my tankiest and most powerful bow character by far. I'm not even using the CI quiver.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Vasudus posted:

CI quiver.
Huh. I did not even know this existed until now. Funky.

Frenzy charges tend to be the most annoying to actually keep up, I've found. For power charges, crit builds are pretty much going to be Assassin with free generation, or use Assassin's Mark/Voll's. Endurance charges are also easy thanks to Warlord's Mark being a go-to curse for so many builds. But only a couple Ascendancies get Frenzy charges, almost no build actually uses Poacher's Mark, and Blood Rage is annoying, especially for Vaal Pact builds.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I'm CI VP. Blood rage is a nogo, with my limited phys reduction a full duration will kill off approximately 55% of my ES tank. I ran 3 T10s until it got me killed and I said gently caress it. I can't dedicate the mana to blasphemy poachers, I can't use CoH poachers because of how fast I clear screens, and I can't wear blood dances. I'm thinking of just dropping the idea of frenzy charges entirely if occasionally using frenzy is too much of a pain. I haven't tried that yet.

Edit: is % increased accuracy on hats global? I'm going to start fishing for an ES hat to replace my Vertex.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 5, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So, I cobbled together my character with maybe 20c or so, I'd love some advice on where to go with it next in terms of gearing up: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Insurrectionist/characters

While gearing up I just focused on three things: getting all my links together (except skipping 6-link armor, since those cost out the rear end no matter what); getting +life on all the pieces I could reasonably get it; and capping my elemental resistances. I'm gonna get a Vaal Haste for my final socket is the plan, I've just been lazy about looking.

The build I totally stole for this I posted earlier in the thread it's a pretty basic Elementalist build with Arc as the mainstay. Sadly the guide doesn't seem to be terribly up to day since among other things several of the suggested items it talks about/links are definitely the legacy versions (i.e. Maligaro gloves with 50% crit multiplier) so I dunno if there are other uniques I should be looking out for, but I probably couldn't afford any nice ones anyway. Anyway, this gear was put together pretty cheap pretty much spending all my Chaos Orbs as I found/traded them, and then immediately after I finished it I sold a bunch of more stuff and found an Exalted Orb so now I've got about 1.5Ex to work with. I heard Elementalist is pretty popular this season so I figured it won't get me too far, but knowing which parts of my gear looks weakest would help anyway. Tips on my build would also be pretty cool, alternate gem set-ups or poor skill distribution or whatever.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
So I stumbled into about 10ex today. What fun build should I try? Preferably melee since my first guy is obliterator

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
But my koams heart and 5l oros sacrifice for 4 ex and make an flicker prolif elementals so I don't have to

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

climboutonalimb posted:

But my koams heart and 5l oros sacrifice for 4 ex and make an flicker prolif elementals so I don't have to

It rules, but I think slayer would be better. Although my build ended up not having enough survivability.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 6, 2016

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Duck and Cover posted:

It rules, but I think slayer would be better.

I will probably do that after I roll my first non srs summoner ever.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Thinking about doing a Sunder build. Should I go Juggernaut, Slayer, or Champion? Wild card option: Raider

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I'm fairly new to the game and I still have a number of questions after looking over the first post and various other resources for PoE. Currently I'm a level 51 duelist/gladiator and I've been focusing on a dual wield lacerate build that seems to be working out so far in Cruel but I'm not sure how to go about keeping my gear up to date as I level. Should I already be trying to trade for gear or should I hold off until I'm a bit higher in level or I start running into more trouble with killing stuff? Furthermore, can anyone suggest unique one-handed swords to focus on getting for a lacerate build if I want to take advantage of Outlast and Outmatch with both hands?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

Thinking about doing a Sunder build. Should I go Juggernaut, Slayer, or Champion? Wild card option: Raider

I'd say Slayer. Doesn't make the initial wave any bigger but at least the explosions might hit something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Condiv posted:

I'm fairly new to the game and I still have a number of questions after looking over the first post and various other resources for PoE. Currently I'm a level 51 duelist/gladiator and I've been focusing on a dual wield lacerate build that seems to be working out so far in Cruel but I'm not sure how to go about keeping my gear up to date as I level. Should I already be trying to trade for gear or should I hold off until I'm a bit higher in level or I start running into more trouble with killing stuff? Furthermore, can anyone suggest unique one-handed swords to focus on getting for a lacerate build if I want to take advantage of Outlast and Outmatch with both hands?

The gold standard is Varunastra but you can't get it yet. Scaeva is by far the best crit sword but it only works in the main hand, which has issues with lacerate. You could switch to axes and grab a couple Jack, The Axe for little to nothing so you can abuse the gladiator bloodsplosions.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

i'm running a facebreaker shield charge gladiator that is also wearing a voidheart now and those bloodsplosions are fantastic, gibs flying everywhere, appropriate really

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Here's a champion tree I pulled together just to see what a 1hand/shield tree would look like. Basically I took a shitload of armor, life, and block. I want to make a Sunder build, but are there other skills or synergies I should be thinking about?

e: 2nd draft, dropped ranger nodes for scion life nodes

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 6, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
What the hell is the website that lets you plug in skill gems and it finds a build thread for those gems?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bugsy posted:

What the hell is the website that lets you plug in skill gems and it finds a build thread for those gems?

Did you mean this? http://www.timtips.com/buildbrowser/#/list

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
bullshit I guess?

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 6, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

don't do this, you tard

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Vasudus posted:

Edit: is % increased accuracy on hats global? I'm going to start fishing for an ES hat to replace my Vertex.

Of course it is; a mod can only be local if it has something on that item to affect. Hats don't have an accuracy stat to modify, so if you can get accuracy on a hat it's global.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Magus42 posted:

Of course it is; a mod can only be local if it has something on that item to affect. Hats don't have an accuracy stat to modify, so if you can get accuracy on a hat it's global.

Yeah I had a brain fart and for some reason thought it was a hybrid roll, since I could only recall seeing +accuracy and %accuracy together.

Went from 76% to 89% between my new hat and necklace. Feels good man.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
so any character with vaal pact sucks at the trials, to the surprise of no-one except me

what's a great lab runner? some juggernaut build?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ronya posted:

so any character with vaal pact sucks at the trials, to the surprise of no-one except me

I swap my Voidheart out for a Kaoms Way on my Jugg and can practically stand in every single trap unharmed.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

ronya posted:

spec out of it when in lab imo, costs 1 regret

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

killstealing posted:

spec out of it when in lab imo, costs 1 regret

because it's a tree optimized around VP, my life regen without VP is also zero

I guess I could drop a totem though

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Thanks, could not really find what I was looking for but it gave me some ideas.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Is there a best place to farm shrines? I'm actually at 150/200 already and doing that challenge would mean I don't have to do another more annoying challenge to get 36 and get that dumb monkey.

Right now I'm thinking of buying sac fragments and running corrupted areas quickly hoping for shrines. The occasional Midnight would mean I'm not draining too much currency. Would I be better off just loading up on movespeed and running circles around the Tidal Island? Or are there any specific zones that have an innate higher rate of shrines? Zana's rate of 5c / 3 shrines seems a bit steep.

I still also need the double Tormented Spirit. I guess I just need to load up on some of the ghost related prophecies and then fire up a low map with Torment and hope I can get two of them together in the same rare?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
AFAIK besides Zana's crafting mod shrines are completely random. Not sure why you're burning Sac frags for them... :confused:

For double spirit, I think you'll need to pray to RNGesus.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

MerrMan posted:

Is there a best place to farm shrines? I'm actually at 150/200 already and doing that challenge would mean I don't have to do another more annoying challenge to get 36 and get that dumb monkey.

Right now I'm thinking of buying sac fragments and running corrupted areas quickly hoping for shrines. The occasional Midnight would mean I'm not draining too much currency. Would I be better off just loading up on movespeed and running circles around the Tidal Island? Or are there any specific zones that have an innate higher rate of shrines? Zana's rate of 5c / 3 shrines seems a bit steep.

I still also need the double Tormented Spirit. I guess I just need to load up on some of the ghost related prophecies and then fire up a low map with Torment and hope I can get two of them together in the same rare?

For tormented spirit, you can do it super easily in the Grand Arena.

The 2 relevant prophecies are the one that gives ghost to rares, and the one that makes spirits release when you kill a mob with one (forget the name of both).

Go to Grand Arena, and rush to the trio of bosses before daresso. Each will have a spirit- kill one of the bosses, then chase the spirit that's released onto another of the bosses. ezpz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can farm shrines in dried lake pretty easily, the zone usually has at least 1 possibly more.

• Locked thread