Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ShredsYouSay posted:

wasn't there an episode of star trek with corbynite

I had a look and there's a TOS episode called the Corbomite manoeuvre, and as expected the internet is full of nerds making comparisons between it and Corbyn :rolleyes:

https://g1rm.wordpress.com/2015/08/29/the-corbynite-maneuver/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Set phasers to.....unelectable

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BOLLOCKS HOW HAS THIS UNELECTABLE MAN HAPPENED INTO LEADERSHIP OF MY LABOUR PARTY?

Was he elected?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
I wonder which day is going to be bigger for UKMT?

Today - Chilcot day

Some point soon - Corbyn's quitting day

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Are cheeky retailers selling Brexit Bags for those who just can't take it anymore?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Tories are about to elect May or Gove as PM. By 2020 they'll have hosed up so badly that Corbyn will have a fair shot at winning even with continued PLP bullshit and a very good chance if he kicks out the coup ringleaders and gets the rest of the PLP to fall in line.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cerebral Bore posted:

The Tories are about to elect May or Gove as PM. By 2020 they'll have hosed up so badly that Corbyn will have a fair shot at winning even with continued PLP bullshit and a very good chance if he kicks out the coup ringleaders and gets the rest of the PLP to fall in line.

Reminder: the British public re-elected the Tories and gave them a majority, so impressed were they with their 2010-2015 performance

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Reminder: the British public re-elected the Tories and gave them a majority, so impressed were they with their 2010-2015 performance

I suppose this is true, but I still feel confident in predicting that 2016-2020 is going to be such a goddamn shitshow of epic proportions that it'll be impossible even for the British public to ignore Tory incompetence and malfeasance anymore.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dabir posted:

How about you gently caress off to a thread that's actually relevant to you, like one about setting yourself on fire.

Here's one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775365

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Assuming that he - or any of us - survive a fast general election and 4-5 years of Prime Minister May with a solid Commons majority.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

I don't think it's that they were impressed, it's just that Ed Miliband ate a bacon sandwich sloppily.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
NM

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

That's impossible. Corbyn wasn't even leading Labour at that time.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Assuming that he - or any of us - survive a fast general election and 4-5 years of Prime Minister May with a solid Commons majority.

12 MPs does not make a solid majority

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

EvilGenius posted:

I don't think it's that they were impressed, it's just that Ed Miliband ate a bacon sandwich sloppily.

Why did Ed Milliband agree to do that? He's from a jewish background, and I know a lot of the Daily Mail sniping at him was dog whistle anti-semitism, but could he not just have told them to gently caress off? Surely that would have resonated with the public more?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

nothing to seehere posted:

He's saying a snap GE (Presumably after ditching fix terms act, unless i missed something) with a new leader bump could give May a more commanding majority.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

I think we can safely assume that if she gets the Tories in line and does a GE soon while Labour is exploding, their lead will get much bigger.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For some reason I thought "Eid Mubarak" was or is a person.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Thundercloud posted:

Why did Ed Milliband agree to do that? He's from a jewish background, and I know a lot of the Daily Mail sniping at him was dog whistle anti-semitism, but could he not just have told them to gently caress off? Surely that would have resonated with the public more?

He probably just wanted to eat lunch.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

I think he was just eating a bacon sandwich because he was hungry and someone took a photo.

Speaking of Ed, supposedly he and Burnham are trying to convince Corbyn to step aside for Clive Lewis. It would be an interesting choice because Clive's among the most loyal to Corbyn in the party but without any of the baggage when it comes to past statements that will get dragged up. At the very least it would force the PLP to either back down or confirm that this is about ideology as opposed to electability.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ukle posted:

Exactly. Labour being for immigration is one of the changes brought about by Blair, going back to its routes of saying 'gently caress all foreigns' is what the electorate want.

Immigrants happy to live in garages depress wages and mean big business doesn't need to train British ppl or pay a living wage

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
What's with all the anti-semitism chat lately? I thought the bad white people ruining the economy and OUR NATIONAL IDENTITY were now Poles and other Eastern Europeans. Or is it a 'Labour are the real racists' thing?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

If I were to guess, I'd say he thought it made him look like 'one of us'. Unlike Cameron eating a hot dog (or whatever it was) with a knife and fork, or taxing pasties.

Oh dear clone
Apr 8, 2016

Reminder: Labour's vote share increased by more than the Tory vote share. The 2015 election was all about punishing the LibDems for allying with the Tories. That had unfortunate effects under FPTP but it had to be done, I think.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Carborundum posted:

What's with all the anti-semitism chat lately? I thought the bad white people ruining the economy and OUR NATIONAL IDENTITY were now Poles and other Eastern Europeans. Or is it a 'Labour are the real racists' thing?

The right dont like jews; the left don't like Israel.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think he was just eating a bacon sandwich because he was hungry and someone took a photo.

Speaking of Ed, supposedly he and Burnham are trying to convince Corbyn to step aside for Clive Lewis. It would be an interesting choice because Clive's among the most loyal to Corbyn in the party but without any of the baggage when it comes to past statements that will get dragged up. At the very least it would force the PLP to either back down or confirm that this is about ideology as opposed to electability.

Clive Lewis seems like a very good egg, but the idea that a guy who has been an MP for 14 months should be Labour leader seems...well, a bit fantastical really. Maybe in 5 years time, when he's got more experience of parliamentary procedure and all that, but this early, seems a bit silly.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

Immigrants happy to live in garages depress wages and mean big business doesn't need to train British ppl or pay a living wage

"happy"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Baron Corbyn posted:

it was clive lewis who co-wrote the article saying its time for PR and the party to split

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Carborundum posted:

Noted non-Jew Louise Mensch caused a minor bump in Corbyn's election campaign by faking Twitter searches purportedly by Corbyn supporters accusing noted non-Jew Liz Kendall of being a Jew. This worked so well, what with Corbyn being elected on a huge mandate, that his opponents have revisited the strategy several times, up to and including noted non-Jew and career twat Jim Murphy blocking the only Jewish NEC candidate on the grounds she was an antisemite.

This latest round was kicked off, I believe, by Jess Phillips, an MP who has form for faking emails and previously threatened to stab Corbyn for disagreeing with her, posting an email from her own website's anonymous contact form that she said was from pro Corbyn pressure group Momentum calling her a Zionist.

So yeah, it's that second one, only it's Corbyn who's the racist. Also Ken Livingstone, except he isn't a racist either, he's just an idiot.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

The right dont like jews; the left don't like Israel.

And the right pretends they're fine with Jews therefore the only racists are the left. The left is too honest to do anything other than wimper that it's totally not racist and then tries to tell you about Israeli history. By the point the average idiot is shaking his head at the bad racism and takes it out on a polish person.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

And the right pretends they're fine with Jews therefore the only racists are the left. The left is too honest to do anything other than wimper that it's totally not racist and then tries to tell you about Israeli history. By the point the average idiot is shaking his head at the bad racism and takes it out on a polish person.

You say that like the average person doesn't have a deep distrust of Jews. At university, a mate of my housemate once took me aside when he saw me with my stereotypically Jewish-looking study partner and told me to watch out because her type look out for their own.

He may have physically recoiled when I told him I'm also Jewish, but that might be an embellishment.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn

Thanks.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

You say that like the average person doesn't have a deep distrust of Jews.
I have never met anyone who has this mindset. Didn't we have this discussion before with you using the same anecdote?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jose posted:

it was clive lewis who co-wrote the article saying its time for PR and the party to split

Do you disagree?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Chukka questioned Corbyn with the same success as Ken Livingstone.

A nice round of "Are you an Anti Semite?"
"No"
"But .... are you? You are. Go on say you are.""

We're in a post facts society, you can just say something enough and it's true. Also David Cameron hosed a dead pig's head.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fans posted:

Chukka questioned Corbyn with the same success as Ken Livingstone.

A nice round of "Are you an Anti Semite?"
"No"
"But .... are you? You are. Go on say you are.""

We're in a post facts society, you can just say something enough and it's true. Also David Cameron hosed a dead pig's head.

Did he upload this one to his YouTube channel too?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Baron Corbyn posted:

Do you disagree?

not at all but i think a lot of labour mp's are probably too greedy to go for it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm getting conflicting messages on if he hosed the pig or not. Everyone says he did but ew gross a pig?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Baron Corbyn posted:

Did he upload this one to his YouTube channel too?

Sadly not, maybe he doesn't feel his performance was as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Baloogan posted:

I'm getting conflicting messages on if he hosed the pig or not. Everyone says he did but ew gross a pig?

It was a dead pig, which makes it fine legal. youthful high spirits which we've all done.

We're all loving this dead pig's head together.

• Locked thread