Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also several past secretaries of state also used private email severs, due mostly to the one they're supposed to have used being a dumpster fire, but they were republicans so it's okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Whether or not anyone makes a stink when others do it, that doesn't make it a good idea on its own, just as whether someone is arguing in good faith doesn't have anything to do with whether their arguments have merit.

I'd like to say that having made it a bullshit criminal matter undermines a much more viable general attack on her judgment or decision-making, but conspiracy theories about her escaping totally airtight charges, for reals, are probably going to work pretty well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Whether or not anyone makes a stink when others do it, that doesn't make it a good idea on its own, just as whether someone is arguing in good faith doesn't have anything to do with whether their arguments have merit.

I'd like to say that having made it a bullshit criminal matter undermines a much more viable general attack on her judgment or decision-making, but conspiracy theories about her escaping totally airtight charges, for reals, are probably going to work pretty well.

The funny thing was that using a private e-mail server did actually turn out to be the right decision, since it was significantly more secure, user-friendly, and generally good than the flaming shitpile that was the State Department server. She mostly got told off for being a little too careless with what was and wasn't classified information and being less than honest when asked about it - and I'm being quite deliberate when I use such mild phrasing there.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah I'm not saying she really should have done it, but that it kinda gives away your hand if you only go after her for doing it while simultaneously throwing a big fussy baby fit over it the whole way.

I heard on NPR the other day that the investigations around Benghazi have now taken longer than any other "coverup" investigation including the investigations into the JFK assassination and the watergate scandal, and they've come up with nothing but a stern talking-to by the state department IT guys.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

GunnerJ posted:

That's been the Republican MO for a long time now. They take some issue that could be a reasonable discussion that might actually make the left look a little bad, and they gently caress it up by turning it into a complete and utter clown fiesta.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

The funny thing was that using a private e-mail server did actually turn out to be the right decision, since it was significantly more secure, user-friendly, and generally good than the flaming shitpile that was the State Department server.

This I was not actually aware of. The last thing I read about the whole thing was a Washington Post article that made it all about "Hillary wanted to use her Blackberry" (which seemed a bit too petty to possibly be the whole story), and said that the server was basically an existing home email server that the Clintons hired some guy to set up to handle State Department email, which didn't fill me with confidence about the security of the setup at the time.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yeah I'm not saying she really should have done it, but that it kinda gives away your hand if you only go after her for doing it while simultaneously throwing a big fussy baby fit over it the whole way.

Yeah, I'm really just making a tactical criticism I guess. It's the latest in a long string of lame as gently caress fake controversies, so it will work on anyone who's been kinda swayed by those, but it tainted any legitimate criticism that would be convincing to anyone else by association.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

This I was not actually aware of. The last thing I read about the whole thing was a Washington Post article that made it all about "Hillary wanted to use her Blackberry" (which seemed a bit too petty to possibly be the whole story), and said that the server was basically an existing home email server that the Clintons hired some guy to set up to handle State Department email, which didn't fill me with confidence about the security of the setup at the time.

We went over it a bit in the secfuck yospos thread, from what I understand her home setup wasn't that great, but the state department's was horrible.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Don't gently caress with that guy, he's on the edge.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I want to believe.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jack Gladney posted:

I want to believe.

It's a copy-paste, I saw the exact same message (just with some other stuff changed around) when the California Primaries ended and also New York and really most of Bernie's other 'He's gonna win it! Oh no he didn't win it' moments.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:getin:

Someone has definitely hosed with the reality faucet in the past year or two. So many wild things are happening that people are living in fantasy worlds and not even noticing each other.

Wait, are we in a fantasy world too? *computer fades out before my very eyes*

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Goon Danton posted:

And all of that was just a spin-off of the Republicans' other investigations into a terrorist attack in Benghazi that killed four Americans, where they were bound and determined to prove Hillary had done some unspecified Bad Thing. This also went through a thousand investigations, and the final report on those recently dropped and said she did nothing wrong.
What actually happened in Benghazi: A planned terrorist attack hit the U.S. embassy, killing four people (including a popular goon moderator). Hillary's State Department wasn't immediately sure what was going on and didn't see any good options for trying to help them, but immediately spun it to the media as a spontaneous mob attack inspired by some anti-American video, because they had recently bragged that there were no terrorist threats in Libya and they didn't want to look bad. Over the next day or so, Hillary was advised by the CIA (iirc) that it probably had nothing to do with that video, and that it was probably a planned terrorist attack, but she kept harping on the video in public and denying it was terrorism. When pressed repeatedly by Republicans over why she'd been deceptive, she downplayed the importance of the question of mob violence vs. planned attack, saying "We have four dead Americans. What difference does it make [specifically why they died, since the important thing is that they did die]?"

What right-wing conspiracy theorists think happened: Hillary heard that a terrorist attack was going on, but told American forces who could have saved them to stand down, because sending in troops would make her look bad. (Never mind that having four people die makes her look worse, but anyway ....) Memos and emails about the spin decision prove she knew it was terrorism and chose not to send troops. When pressed repeatedly by Republicans over the fact that four people died, she said "What difference does it make [that four Americans died, because I don't give a poo poo about American lives]?"

That's how it was explained to me, anyway.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The best bit about it all was this Quixotic charge was what made Mittens look like a dingus in front of the whole nation back in 2012 (well, that and many, many other things) and the right-wing media decided that if they beat a dead horse hard enough it'll eventually compact into the shape of the consulate. Obama's secure so what the hell, FULL STEAM AHEAD ON THE HILLARY ANGLE.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

The chicken nuggets oversold it.

Tesseraction posted:

:getin:

Someone has definitely hosed with the reality faucet in the past year or two. So many wild things are happening that people are living in fantasy worlds and not even noticing each other.

Wait, are we in a fantasy world too? *computer fades out before my very eyes*

You taunted the AI. This election is your punishment.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Where do people get the idea that the SoS can give orders to the military? Do the folks who think Hillary ordered the military to stand down during the Benghazi attack hang out on the same forums as the people who blame her for Libya while pretending Obama wasn't involved?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Why do religions (and the bible I guess?) write Lᴏʀᴅ differently anyway, I was never steeped in religion and only ever viewed it from the outside and while I understand some parts that's always been a mystery

It's because it's impractical to indicate a Being that encompasses all that Is and Is Not. Think of the rest of the Bible as being a 2d plane and those bits as being a 3d Being intruding.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Pope Guilty posted:

Where do people get the idea that the SoS can give orders to the military? Do the folks who think Hillary ordered the military to stand down during the Benghazi attack hang out on the same forums as the people who blame her for Libya while pretending Obama wasn't involved?

The President can give orders, and the Clinton-Benghazi theories are just mutations from the Obama-Benghazi theories after they failed to stop his reelection. That's really all it comes down to.

Peztopiary posted:

It's because it's impractical to indicate a Being that encompasses all that Is and Is Not. Think of the rest of the Bible as being a 2d plane and those bits as being a 3d Being intruding.

It's just a replacement for the tetragrammaton to avoid "taking God's name in vain," since nobody was quite sure what counted as "in vain." There's a whole system where certain phrases and titles in English correspond to specific names of God in the original text (YHWH/Elohim/Adonai/etc), but I forget the specifics.

Goon Danton has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Jul 6, 2016

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Tbh, it's the "what difference does it make?" thing that really gets me, because it's crystal clear that what she meant was that the important thing was the deaths of four Americans, not the media spin or whether that video was involved, and people still quote it out of context to make it sound like she didn't think it mattered that they died.

Even people who hate her should be bright enough to realize that she is not so utterly incompetent a politician as to say THAT in public. Come the gently caress on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pookel posted:

Tbh, it's the "what difference does it make?" thing that really gets me, because it's crystal clear that what she meant was that the important thing was the deaths of four Americans, not the media spin or whether that video was involved, and people still quote it out of context to make it sound like she didn't think it mattered that they died.

Even people who hate her should be bright enough to realize that she is not so utterly incompetent a politician as to say THAT in public. Come the gently caress on.

It's classic application of Rove's Law.

And the stupidity of the right-wing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

He wants Hillary to fix the country from prison?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Whether or not anyone makes a stink when others do it, that doesn't make it a good idea on its own

The mechanisms by which someone is brought to account do matter. Unequal scrutiny is a kind of unfairness people tend to forget about.

Anyway, no Republican gave a poo poo about Clinton's IT security. The whole point was to try to find emails that made her look bad. This is like if your high school principal raids your locker because your mom is running against his wife for a seat on the school board. Failing to find drugs, he starts to go through your notebooks looking for embarrassing doodles or little side notes to share with the whole school. Failing to get much play out of that, he says your handwriting is terrible and makes you do extra work with your English teacher to improve it.

Then some people's take is, "Seems fair. You DO have poor handwriting."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Sax Solo posted:

The mechanisms by which someone is brought to account do matter.

Didn't say otherwise.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hermetic posted:

What Darth Walrus said, but the reason that they "jumped in with a full federal investigation" was basically because they've been scared of Hillary since the early 2000s

The early 1990s, nationally. Earlier than that in state politics.

During Bill Clinton's first term, the fringe right used to claim she's the one who really ran things, even referring to him as "Billary."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

How and why did that start so early? I thought it only even got started when Bill put her in charge of coming up with a healthcare reform plan, and given how they treated Michelle Obama, was part of a general sexist thing against First Ladies of Presidents from the Democratic Party.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They're terrified of women. Their whole worldview is hierarchical, and supreme over their white-over-black and rich-over-poor schemae is man-over-woman.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You forgot the part where they assume everyone else is as hierarchical as they are, and thus to them it must be an inevitable consequence of feminism that women will conquer the earth and castrate all men, because to them an equitable society is literally inconceivable.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

How and why did that start so early? I thought it only even got started when Bill put her in charge of coming up with a healthcare reform plan, and given how they treated Michelle Obama, was part of a general sexist thing against First Ladies of Presidents from the Democratic Party.

It's that, but also that the previous several First Ladies were super feminine and stuck to the traditional gender roles stuff. Hillary had no intention of following this path, and was very vocal about it, at a time when the country was only just starting to maybe get used to the idea that feminism could be a thing.

There was also the total hate-on for Clinton himself (and therefore her by association), possibly because he stopped Bush Sr. from getting an 8-year term.

The fact that she tends to play her cards close to her chest and give no fucks what anyone thinks of her also doesn't help.

Basically, she represents all that right-wingers fear about women with power, and so they see her as the vanguard of feminazis coming to enslave mankind.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Puppy Time posted:

It's that, but also that the previous several First Ladies were super feminine and stuck to the traditional gender roles stuff. Hillary had no intention of following this path, and was very vocal about it, at a time when the country was only just starting to maybe get used to the idea that feminism could be a thing.

There was also the total hate-on for Clinton himself (and therefore her by association), possibly because he stopped Bush Sr. from getting an 8-year term.

The fact that she tends to play her cards close to her chest and give no fucks what anyone thinks of her also doesn't help.

Basically, she represents all that right-wingers fear about women with power, and so they see her as the vanguard of feminazis coming to enslave mankind.

I was pretty young when that first happened, but I remember it. While I may not always like Clinton's policies, I always credit her with my first stirrings of feminism. I remember that some loving women's magazine wanted her and Barbara Bush to submit their favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes for the readers to try and vote on, and I remember thinking "Wait, didn't they say she's a lawyer and a politician and all sorts of cool stuff? It seems kind of stupid to ask her what kind of cookies she wants to bake..."

To this day, my fondness for cookies has only grown, but I still think that was a stupid loving question to ask her. :colbert:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, I remember "baking cookies" being a specific metonym for the whole issue. (Despite being significantly more interested in Ninja Turtles and the X-Men at the time.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Mister Mean-Spirited got in a fight with someone over arrowheads, and goddamnit someone is going to HEAR about this http://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/06/in-praise-of-pothunters.html

Update: Usually MMS gets a few comments from the same handful of people who tend to go "Right on!" or "Preach, brother!" but this time all he got was this comment

quote:

I agree, people who reckon they know stuff are much more accurate than people who spend their whole lives studying.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Update: Usually MMS gets a few comments from the same handful of people who tend to go "Right on!" or "Preach, brother!" but this time all he got was this comment

Barring the possibility that that's sarcastic, that's basically the foundation of alt-right thought where it's better to go with your racist-rear end gut than get educated in some discipline by the Cathedral.

See: ClarkHat just knowing that urbit is awesome despite little domain-centric knowledge in PL design or whatnot.

Also: brazenautomaton's opinions on undertale

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Jul 7, 2016

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I :airquote:love:airquote: the strain of alt-rightism that's just a desire to be a Victorian gentleman.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Prepare your asses for some salty, ineffectual, racist white nerd tears:

New Iron Man is 15 year old black girl

Has anyone commented yet or are the cuckpocalypse takes still being furiously written?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Q: I'm aware of the general criticisms of Scott Alexander in this thread (has spent so long bending over backwards to be generous and keep talking to NRx that he's adopted a bunch of their tropes, lack of equivalent charity to the left and their '30% of sane feminists', is not actually a very astute thinker), but is there a particular criticism of the his Anti-Reactionary FAQ beyond this? I'm aware it has some eyerolling praise of reactionary thinkers in the introduction, but are there known problems with the content or approach?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Peel posted:

Q: I'm aware of the general criticisms of Scott Alexander in this thread (has spent so long bending over backwards to be generous and keep talking to NRx that he's adopted a bunch of their tropes, lack of equivalent charity to the left and their '30% of sane feminists', is not actually a very astute thinker), but is there a particular criticism of the his Anti-Reactionary FAQ beyond this? I'm aware it has some eyerolling praise of reactionary thinkers in the introduction, but are there known problems with the content or approach?

I actually like it for the first, idk, third of it where he just shoots down NRx tropes with actual data. After that it starts to get really stupidly ~~Fair And Balanced~~

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MikeCrotch posted:

Prepare your asses for some salty, ineffectual, racist white nerd tears:

New Iron Man is 15 year old black girl

Has anyone commented yet or are the cuckpocalypse takes still being furiously written?

I mean she isn't straight up replacing Tony as a character necessarily so I'm especially eager to watch them flail about this

It's strangely more enjoyable to watch them flail about poo poo I actually know about

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Literally The Worst posted:

I mean she isn't straight up replacing Tony as a character necessarily so I'm especially eager to watch them flail about this

It's strangely more enjoyable to watch them flail about poo poo I actually know about

She could be a totally standalone character unrelated to Iron Man and they'd still whine about it. One black girl too many.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Deified Data posted:

She could be a totally standalone character unrelated to Iron Man and they'd still whine about it. One black girl too many.

Oh for sure I'm just looking forward to doing a breakdown on why they're idiots about this

Reminder that War Machine literally started out as a replacement Iron Man. He wore the suit when Tony couldn't for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

I actually like it for the first, idk, third of it where he just shoots down NRx tropes with actual data. After that it starts to get really stupidly ~~Fair And Balanced~~

I got about a third of the way through when skimming it again before making that post lol. Maybe that's what everyone remembers, because it's all I remembered.