Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

namesake posted:

Got to admit that's dangerously close to saying we should listen to experts on things they're expert in.

Yeah, it has to be taken with a pinch of salt really. If an 'expert' assures me that Kim Jong-Un has a nuclear penis that can hit England within 30 minutes, I'll probably grimace and consider resigning.

Caroline Lucas asked the government to provide an official apology and pigfucker refuses lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm not the one falsely accusing someone of being a war criminal.
Neither is he.

Wildstrike
Apr 8, 2007

I will gladly pay you my soul Tuesday, for a glut to the longing of my heart's desire today...

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Unless you're in favour of retroactive justice, which is a stupid idea, "We've done nothing illegal" is a real defense.

Tony Blair can't be held to account for breaking a set of laws that we aren't a signatory to (The Kampala Amendments in the ICC that dictate the prosecution of the Act of Aggression) and that don't come into effect until 2017.

Even if he can't be held to legal account he can be held to account in that people can say he is evil and valued pumping up his ego and the thrill at being able to execute violence against humanity to demonstrate his power more than he valued hundreds of thousands of human lives.

The law isn't the same thing as morality.

Couldn't you just substitute 'war criminal' for 'monster' in your head?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yorkshire Tea posted:

hahahahaa are you white knighting the war criminal Tony Blair?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Stunning non-sequitur, bravo.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

big scary monsters posted:

I thought special forces were in fact on the ground in Libya and some were even killed.

It's an open secret we have special forces on the ground all over the place. If/Where we point the drones and whether they have hit their targets isn't guesswork.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Hmm this is a contentious view that even I think is dumb, my friend.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some of them are just goons pretending to be special forces.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ugh, the house is now just patting itself on the back over how Saddam Hussein was bad.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If Blair does a warcrime in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Renaissance Robot posted:

If Blair does a warcrime in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yeah it sounds a lot like a pig corpse being hosed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

jiggerypokery posted:

It's an open secret we have special forces on the ground all over the place. If/Where we point the drones and whether they have hit their targets isn't guesswork.

Could have fooled me.

(thanks whoever posted that piece on the history of British counterintelligence last thread, it was great)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 6, 2016

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Is Corbin supposed to be a biting and clever nickname? Because it just reminds me of Obummer.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

I thought special forces were in fact on the ground in Libya and some were even killed.

Special forces? What special forces?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/britain-is-at-war-in-libya-and-nobody-thought-to-tell-us-a7052356.html

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Not Operator posted:

Is Corbin supposed to be a biting and clever nickname? Because it just reminds me of Obummer.

GET IN THE BIN (I think is what they're going for)

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

GET IN THE BIN (I think is what they're going for)

No, I get it. I just think its incredibly childish.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I thought it was a reference to WWE wrestler Baron Corbin because he's a loner and a drifter with a score to settle and is out to prove himself

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Not Operator posted:

Welcome to UK politics

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Wildstrike posted:

Even if he can't be held to legal account he can be held to account in that people can say he is evil and valued pumping up his ego and the thrill at being able to execute violence against humanity to demonstrate his power more than he valued hundreds of thousands of human lives.

The law isn't the same thing as morality.

Couldn't you just substitute 'war criminal' for 'monster' in your head?

He's a moron and grossly incompetent in his execution of the war. The report so far as I've read (and obviously this could change) doesn't go far enough to say that he harboured ill intent or did what he felt wasn't in the best interests of the nation. Until that is provably so I can't, much as I want to, judge him morally in that manner. I just really dislike throwing around the term War Criminal at people who haven't been indicted because it trivialises the term.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

graun posted:

Adapting one of Tony Blair’s most famous comments, the SDLP MP Mark Durkan said that this was not a day for soundbites, but today was a day when “the hand of history should be feeling someone’s collar”. Cameron laughed, and said MPs had to take responsibility for their actions.

:ironicat:

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Either way, it reminds me of 'Obummer', and that's not a positive thing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Actually I think you'll find that British colonists never committed genocide, because genocide wasn't defined within international law at the time. :smuggo:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

brian posted:

I thought it was a reference to WWE wrestler Baron Corbin because he's a loner and a drifter with a score to settle and is out to prove himself

I enjoy the moments when Baron is brought up in this topic and I briefly become vaguely relevant

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

He's a moron and grossly incompetent in his execution of the war. The report so far as I've read (and obviously this could change) doesn't go far enough to say that he harboured ill intent or did what he felt wasn't in the best interests of the nation. Until that is provably so I can't, much as I want to, judge him morally in that manner. I just really dislike throwing around the term War Criminal at people who haven't been indicted because it trivialises the term.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.
Accidental War Criminal

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Well intentioned war crimes

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Not Operator posted:

Agreed.

Jherembe is better.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Baron Corbyn posted:

I enjoy the moments when Baron is brought up in this topic and I briefly become vaguely relevant

To be fair I hear he's going to bring the end of days so at that point you're going to be more relevant than ever

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Not Operator posted:

Lmao have you ever read these threads before?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Agreed.

Jherembe is better.

What was the explanation beyond this one again. I think it was a reference to the gorilla but I don't get the connection.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Baron Corbyn posted:

What was the explanation beyond this one again. I think it was a reference to the gorilla but I don't get the connection.

Neither knew when to let go.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

R. Mute posted:

Accidental War Criminal

Iraq slipped and fell on my shock & awe campaign

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
During an official visit to Hong Kong and China the trade and investment minister has said the UK will be opening up new trading markets like the Elizabethans did

UK trade and investment minister Mark Price posted:

A fresh start gives a unique opportunity to shape a bright future for the UK as a global trading nation and open economy.

The key message is that we have a strong economy: we remain a fantastic place to invest, and have plenty of innovative, successful businesses. I have every confidence we will make this work.

I’m optimistic about the future: particularly in helping create a second Elizabethan Golden Age. The first Golden Age was based on peace, prosperity, new trading markets and a flourishing of the arts.

The prize that now awaits us is a continued close trading relationship with Europe... There’s also a prospect for striking new deals with Canada, New Zealand and Australia which could form the beginning of a Commonwealth trading pact.

The exciting prospect of continuing trading relations with Europe and enhancing trading relationships East and West provides the UK with an opportunity to be a super connected trading hub.

Reinforcing democracy, British rule of law, and tolerance through these enhanced business connections is how we will build trust which in turn leads to peace and prosperity.

I am optimistic that we can seize the opportunity to create a second Elizabethan Golden Age.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Unfairly put under a gun.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Man Tony sounds rough today.

That's only the smallest little tiny bit of what he deserves after the Iraq War. But still.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Tesseraction posted:

Unfairly put under a gun.

Wait, wait. Unfairly?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

dispatch_async posted:

During an official visit to Hong Kong and China the trade and investment minister has said the UK will be opening up new trading markets like the Elizabethans did

quote:

I’m optimistic about the future: particularly in helping create a second Elizabethan Golden Age. The first Golden Age was based on peace, prosperity, new trading markets and a flourishing of the arts.

Not sure being at odds with half of Europe counts as peace but I agree that we're headed that way.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

dispatch_async posted:

if I have to start wearing one of those stupid loving collars I swear on me mu-

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i'm back after being trolled into loving oblivion by TIC, what's u- oh drat.

I have just shown up to the wildest party. Even if it's just stern words, the very notion of any kind of accountability is terrifying the right and bringing me untold joy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tony Blair posted:

He says for more than 20 years the regime of Saddam Hussein had been a source of conflict and bloodshed.

Hussein ruled with an unparalleled brutality. His was the only regime to have used WMD. There was evidence al-Qaida wanted to use these weapons. And 9/11 showed they would have used them.

about that tony....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Anthony Blair is a war criminal.

• Locked thread