Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sion posted:

if I have to start wearing one of those stupid loving collars I swear on me mu-

codpieces might come back, i've been waiting for this day for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rakosi posted:

Wait, wait. Unfairly?

look at this gorilla killa

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

codpieces might come back, i've been waiting for this day for years
Cameron prefers pork to cod.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

about that tony....

I think he might have expected this to just be another slap-on-the-wrist situation, because he does not seem even remotely prepared for this.

But W-WMDs????

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yinlock posted:

I think he might have expected this to just be another slap-on-the-wrist situation, because he does not seem even remotely prepared for this.

He says there was no rush to war.

Blair says there was no rush to war.
He says he did not commit to war when he met Bush at Crawford in Texas in April 2002. The Chilcot report accepts that, he says

lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Look I know that report and all evidence says I strangled that man with his own intestines, but let me put these guts down for a moment and ask the court: have you considered the idea that it does not????

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
"Wait, the report doesn't say deus vult?" - Tony Blair, while tugging his collar nervously.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
christ. if it weren't for the wars, he'd still be prime minister now

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

big scary monsters posted:

I thought special forces were in fact on the ground in Libya and some were even killed.

They were. They evacuated the oil field my dad worked at.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Jesus Tony Blair's statement is a shitshow.

'I accept full responsibility without excuse'.

Except he says the intelligence was wrong, the world is better off without Saddam Hussein, British troops didn't die in vain, the war defined the global security struggle (wtf does that mean), there wasn't a rush to go to war, I never lied and we had to do SOMETHING after 9/11.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MikeCrotch posted:

the war defined the global security struggle (wtf does that mean)
It means there wouldn't be nearly as much of one without it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
For any of you who read the Milhist thread, Tony Blair's reasoning smacks a lot of Trin Tragulas explanation of WWI general's thinking.

1. We have to do something.
2. This is something.
3. We must do this!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

A slight aside, but I'm glad to see JFairfax's career in journalism going well :kiddo:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MikeCrotch posted:

the war defined the global security struggle (wtf does that mean)

The struggle is real.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The report appears to magically mold itself into whatever form the commentator wants. Perhaps we could reuse it as our new deal with the EU? Cf Blair's press conference and this:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/750646245006438400

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Didn't Blair get the chance to go through the report before it was read out?

You'd think he might be a bit more prepared for this.

Wildstrike
Apr 8, 2007

I will gladly pay you my soul Tuesday, for a glut to the longing of my heart's desire today...

Blair posted:

Blair says the fear of the US administration, which he shared, was that terrorist groups would obtain WMDs. The calculus of risk changed after 9/11, he says.

Saddam’s regime was the place to start, not because he was the only person to have these weapons, but because his record suggested he would be willing to use them.

Why would 9/11 make it more likely that terrorist groups would obtain WMDs?

And he's still linking 9/11 to Saddam.

It's always been impressively delusional but they haven't even formulated something that makes more sense after all these years.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Didn't Blair get the chance to go through the report before it was read out?

You'd think he might be a bit more prepared for this.

everybody named and criticised did, and had the chance to make objections, and then got to see the revisions, object to those, etc... it's what dragged the process out so long, and you can also bet that this is about as sanitised as it could possibly be. Imagine how much more brutal it would have been if Blair hadn't got to see and object to everything in advance.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

pointsofdata posted:

The report appears to magically mold itself into whatever form the commentator wants. Perhaps we could reuse it as our new deal with the EU? Cf Blair's press conference and this:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/750646245006438400

Tom's a massive Blairite, though.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

MikeCrotch posted:

Jesus Tony Blair's statement is a shitshow.

'I accept full responsibility without excuse'.

Except he says the intelligence was wrong, the world is better off without Saddam Hussein, British troops didn't die in vain, the war defined the global security struggle (wtf does that mean), there wasn't a rush to go to war, I never lied and we had to do SOMETHING after 9/11.

He does sound like he's about to cry. I hope he does. Never seen a vampire cry.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

Is he wrong?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

[UNREPENTANT BASTARD]: no one feels worse about this than me and I fully accept the conclusions of the report. Allow me to refute all it's conclusions line by line.

Did I fall asleep in a time machine? Soldiers died in Iraq "fighting terror?"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

TinTower posted:

Yeah, I thought the report made it clear that Blair lied or at least intentionally misled people about some stuff?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Antares posted:

[UNREPENTANT BASTARD]: no one feels worse about this than me and I fully accept the conclusions of the report. Allow me to refute all it's conclusions line by line.

Did I fall asleep in a time machine? Soldiers died in Iraq "fighting terror?"

Well, after the invasion, the looting, the de-Baathification, and the shambolic lack of post-war planning there was rather a lot of insurgency/freedom fighting / terrorism. So if you squint, sure that's why they died.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

LMAO now it's "the Iraq invasion was like an early Arab Spring". Just a few years earlier and Iraq would have ended up like Syria.

This is a convincing counter-factual indeed.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Junior G-man posted:

insurgency/freedom fighting / terrorism.
The preferred phrase is now "quiet gardening" btw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

LMAO now it's "the Iraq invasion was like an early Arab Spring". Just a few years earlier and Iraq would have ended up like Syria.

This is a convincing counter-factual indeed.

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/750649573245329408

Wildstrike
Apr 8, 2007

I will gladly pay you my soul Tuesday, for a glut to the longing of my heart's desire today...

Junior G-man posted:

Well, after the invasion, the looting, the de-Baathification, and the shambolic lack of post-war planning there was rather a lot of insurgency/freedom fighting / terrorism. So if you squint, sure that's why they died.

Also apparently the use of terrorism couldn't be anticipated in the war on terror.

"Blair" posted:

Blair turns to the planning for post-conflict Iraq.

He says the inquiry has identified serious failings.

But the inquiry itself could not suggest alternative approaches, he says.

He says his planning focused on the risks he was warned about : a humanitarian disaster, the use of WMD and reconstruction problems.

But the main problem was terrorism. This had not been anticipated, he says.

I can't watch a livefeed, is he actually being this incoherent or is the Grauniad taking it down wrong?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Wildstrike posted:

Also apparently the use of terrorism couldn't be anticipated in the war on terror.

I can't watch a livefeed, is he actually being this incoherent or is the Grauniad taking it down wrong?

No misleading quotes in the Guardian, friends

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wildstrike posted:

Yeah he's waffling like anything.

He's doing this thing where he's like IMAGINE THIS [WORSE SCENARIO] HAD HAPPENED! It's a good thing that we invaded.

Preposterous.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah, I thought the report made it clear that Blair lied or at least intentionally misled people about some stuff?

It pretty much did, but it didn't explicitly us the phrase "Tony Blair lied", which is apparently enough for his remaining fanclub to go full Pissflaps on people drawing the obvious conclusion.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

"countries where there is Islam should be very careful of overthrowing dictators - otherwise people might choose a government according to their free (and possibly religious) preference. This is unlike Kosovo, where it all turned out fine because no Islam. "

A paraphrase, but :psypop:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wait, why is Blair still denying that he pledged military support to Bush when we've literally seen it writing?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Baron Corbyn posted:

Wait, why is Blair still denying that he pledged military support to Bush when we've literally seen it writing?

Because we live in a post-fact world?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

MikeCrotch posted:

no it very specifically avoids saying he lied or intentionally misled anyone

incompetence and malice, etc

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

dispatch_async posted:

During an official visit to Hong Kong and China the trade and investment minister has said the UK will be opening up new trading markets like the Elizabethans did

Nicely ignoring the fact that this time around we're not the big dog. Expect our laws to be changed to suit China. Maybe even our society will have to change if they demand it. A bright future.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/davidblairdt/status/750676441390583808

It is a bloody good film tbf, and I always imagine that's what chemical weapons look like

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerebral Bore posted:

It pretty much did, but it didn't explicitly us the phrase "Tony Blair lied", which is apparently enough for his remaining fanclub to go full Pissflaps on people drawing the obvious conclusion.

The report is 2.6 million words long. There's enough damning stuff in there without adding your own.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Blair is now addressing what lessons can be learnt.

He says since stepping down as prime minister he has been studying the origins of Islamist extremism. This is a global problem, he says.

He say he has seen today’s politicians deal with the same problems he faced in Libya and Syria.

reminder that he's been working for middle east dictators since resigning as PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Advertising agencies unveil rejected Remain campaign posters

quote:

Brexit crisis: the agencies behind the Remain advertising campaign have shared their unsuccessful designs and described a "frustrating" process that was "doomed" to fail (+ slideshow).

Both Saatchi & Saatchi and M&C Saatchi created posters for Remain's Stronger In campaign ahead of the referendum, in which the UK voted to leave the European Union.

"We never normally release work that we produced on behalf of a client but that hasn't run," worldwide chief executive of M&C Saatchi Moray MacLennan told marketing industry magazine Campaign.

"But this time is different. We are still emotionally engaged, the issue is – and will remain – of vital importance and it might help to air some of these ideas."

TBIAWC

• Locked thread